Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Strange Dreams

Last week was a tough one and I can only hope that this week will find me climbing out of the ditch again. But one odd thing that's been happening - I've been dreaming about my husband every night. Sometimes in the dream he has cancer, other times he's well, but he's always there. Last night I had a particularly vivid dream - it was so clear that I was convinced that my prayers had been heard and that I'd been given a second chance.

I dreamt it was several years ago, Thyge's cancer had been discovered early and was being treated with the idea that he would be completely healed. Our kids were younger and at home. For some reason, it was 1997, but most likely he didn't even have cancer at that point. We were all so happy, our sons were wildly running around the way they used to. I was so surprised that I had been sent back to this time. Near the end of the dream I was becoming worried that it wouldn't be permanent, that I would have to wake up without him again. But everything seemed completely real to see, hear, touch, smell, everything.

Well as you can see, I woke up here in 2011, bitterly disappointed. I just don't understand why I'm having these dreams now, six months out. Anyone have similar experiences?

Melina

Hi Melina,

I am sorry that you have had a rough week. I hope the one coming brings you some peace. I have had the same dream of and on ever since Melissa died. The dream is we are both dophins side by side on top of a wave in the ocean and just before the wave reaches shore I always wake up.

Melissa and I had a trip booked to go and swim with the dolphins but then she died and we never got to make that trip. Maybe that is why I have this dream sometimes.

Thinking of you....hugs.

Blessings and Courage, Carol Ann

Melina, I have no idea why you're having these dreams, but I can truly, truly say that I envy you so much. I know that waking from last night's dream must have been horrible, but I can't tell you how much I would give to dream of my darling man. After a little more than 2 1/2 months, I have not dreamt of Glenn once and am becoming almost desperate to do so. Just to see him, touch him, talk to him, if only in a dream, would be so wonderful. To dream of him every night, like you of your Thyge, would be heaven.

The only thing I know, from reading, is that 6 months seems to be a very challenging time- frame in this journey. I'm not even at three months yet, so can only suggest that your brain has chosen this time to rewire itself in a different direction. Frankly, my brain has been doing such unexpected stuff that I feel like I'm losing my old self, but I'm trying to stop attempting to figure it out, because it just makes me crazy. :wacko:

I suspect that these dreams will stop in due course, but I'm not sure whether that's good or bad. Only you know whether they give you comfort or not. If they do, just appreciate that you're having them. Hugs.

Di

Hi Melina,

My husband passed away in January of 2010 and sometime in July of 2010 I had a vivid dream I will never forget the details, and I wrote about it before and I believed in this lucid dream, this kind of dream is one where someone believes/feels like they are awake. I'll try to keep it not too long, but I dreamt that Danny was still alive and I was gloriously ecstatic to see him, I talked to him and I sensed him talking to me and seen his smile and sensed his laughter' and told him to stay right where he was sitting on a green couch (in a house I once lived in after we met when I was a teen) and I wanted to go get my camera to take a picture of him to prove to everyone in our family that he really wasn't gone, that he was still here with me. I couldn't keep my eyes off him, I was kissing his face, hugging him, joyful and happy but when I turned away, he was gone and I turned again and he was there again and was standing and had an aged look on his face and very long gray hair, which I know his looks should have scared me but I wasn't scared at all, and I immediately knew that his aged look and long hair meant that his time with me was already over, but I didn't want him to go. I awoke in my bed and burst into tears, and whispered to myself, it was only a dream, and instantly I said, out loud (just like Scrooge did) "But what if it wasn't (a dream)" I'll never, ever forget that event which I know many especially some Christians and scientists that don't believe this,(I'm Catholic) but I honestly and truly believe in my heart and soul that this was what is called a 'visit' and I have to tell you that intellectually I know he is with me but ever since January 22, 2010 felt disconnected from him and I have never felt Danny's presence. I know he is there but I don't feel him with me (while sleeping or while I'm awake). But I know 100% absolutely sure that this was his way of letting me know he is with me and I never had another 'dream' quite like this reality which changed my perspective. I hope and pray for more dreams and messages from him. Anyone can believe what is right for them, but I feel I will not have joy and happiness in this life, but all I know is with my Faith, and strength, and through my coming years of tears, this dream filled me with all I need to keep waking up, keep living, and putting one foot in front of the other, and to seek out God's will for me. I hope these comments didn't offend anyone, but this is just me talking, and I would not want anyone to not get the help they need from these grief support groups. I am just being honest about my own beliefs and thoughts.

God bless,

Suzanne

I have only had one dream about George. I wish I could dream about him, so I could be with him again, even if only for a few minutes...but alas the awakening would be hard to face, almost like going through it all over again. He used to be a part of my dreams all the time before he died, I don't understand why he isn't now when he was such an integral part of my life.

Melina,

Just after Lars died, I had two very powerful dreams where it felt like I could feel his presence. The dreams stopped after that until recently. Now he seems to be in many dreams, mostly good. I'm thankful that he is in my dreams so often, makes it seem like he's closer.

Lainey

I have had only one dream that I really felt was Michael letting me know he was all right. Like Suzanne, my husband died in January, 2010, and about 6 months later I had a dream with him really in it. I was laying in the bed, and he was standing beside the bed. He was rubbing my back. I said, did you miss me while I was gone, he laughed, and in his exact joking way that he had, he said "I missed you a lot". Does not sound like much typing it out, but it was so Mike, and I feel it was his way of letting me know he was all right. I have had other dreams about him, but not another that I felt he was communicating with me. I really don't care what others may think, I think he was talking to me, and it was very comforting to me.

Been a very busy couple of weeks, I have not been on here to type much, although I read every day. We have been in rehearsals for a play. We are opening at the Lyric Theater tonight "Titanic, Tragedy and Trial", by our community theater group. My friend Dana is directing and my friend Tom and I play Isadore and Ida Straus, who died together on the Titanic. It is a very moving docu-drama, and I think people will really get the feel of the tragedy. Hope we have good crowds, everyone has worked so hard.

Blessing to all of us on this journey we did not want to take.

Mary (Queeniemary) in Arkansas

Dear Mary,

I'm really glad that you posted about your 'visits' as even though I'm Catholic I truly believe these were my husband's way of trying to get in touch with me. I am going through so much grief and still crying even though it's been more than a year since he passed and I haven't received anything in the way of what you received. I am really fascinated by this and happy for you. I wouldn't mind having more 'strange dreams.' What you experienced I don't think we can make this up.

Take care and God bless,

Suzanne

Suzanne, dear, you mentioned that you are Catholic, and I thought you might want to know about the work of Christine Duminiak. She is a devout, practicing Catholic who has written two books about after-death communication (ADC). If you visit her Web site, you'll find a wonderful video clip featuring her interview with Rabbi Marc Gellman and Monsignor Thomas Hartman (authors of several books and well known as television's The God Squad). Watch it if you can, as I think it may put your mind to rest about the Catholic view of ADCs. See also this thread: My Phone Conversation with Christine Duminiak.