Grief Healing Discussion Groups

It Feels Like Something's Missing

It seems so weird to have this day come and go and not be doing anything special...no birthday phone calls, no getting together with friends, no baking a cake, nothing. He's not here anymore. It's oddly quiet. Why is it after six years I'd still feeling something's amiss? I wonder, do they celebrate their birthdays in heaven? If so, I'll put in an order for my mom-in-law to make him her famous five layer chocolate cake, it was to die for! And I have to presume his Diabetes is gone now so he can have some instead of the fake-cake stuff I used to have to make him.

Hi Kay,

Jeff died in July last year....and when his birthday rolled around in October we did a balloon release in the back yard. I have every intention that no matter what is going on in my life, every October 23rd, rain or shine and whether I'm surrounded by others or standing alone.....I will release a balloon in honor of him. He always told me his birthday wasn't a big deal, and I'd look him straight in the eye and tell him that it was a big deal to me, that I was so grateful he was born.

I like to think that they DO celebrate birthdays in Heaven....and that our balloons reached him as he was having his own celebration! :)

Hugs,

Tammy

Kay

What's special is that when all others have forgotten his birthday, it will always be an important day to you. I hope your many memories of past celebrations will give you some cause to smile today and the good memories will see you through....Susie Q remember.

Thanks, guys. Maybe I'll release a balloon to him too, that's a good idea!

Kay

my dh's b-day was in may & my kids & I met in Ouray his favorite place & hiked to his favorite place, it was wonderful. yes it was strange w/o the cards,cake(his sons would make)& presents(b-days are a big deal in our house), but we got the chance to create new memories. I think in honor of my dh's b-day I will create a new happy memory. Maybe you can do the same

Your balloon ideas helped me decide to release 25 balloons on June 22...one for each year we were married. Our plan to be at Chartres Cathedral was thwarted by death. Thank you for the idea....and I also think that just thinking of the one we love is enough....for I believe they are consciousness right now and what can merge more easily with consciousness than our consciousness? mfh