Grief Healing Discussion Groups

I Have Felt Mike With Me All Day

I WOKE UP IN A GOOD MOOD, MIKES CARDINAL CAME TO ME BEFORE I LEFT FOR WORK, I AM DRIVING TO WORK AND MY CAR WAS OVERWHELMED WITH THE SMELL OF HIM....I CHOKED UP FOR A SECOND BUT THEN SMILED DURING THE REST OF MY DAY.....I WAS SITTING AT MY COMPUTER AND SMELLED HIM AGAIN....DECIDED AT THAT POINT I WOULD GO TAKE A BREAK AND ENJOY HIM....MISS HIM INCREDIBLY.....BUT WILL TAKE ANYTHING OF HIM I CAN ENJOY FOR TODAY....AM SLEEPING OK.....AMAZED THAT MY APPETITE HASNT RETURNED, AND EVEN FURTHER AMAZED THAT I AM NOT LOSING WEIGHT...HOPING I CAN REMEMBER THIS DAY AND CONTINUE TO NOT MOVE ON, FOR TO ME THAT MEANS I AM GETTING OVER HIM, BUT CONTINUE TO MOVE FORWARD.....IT HAS ONLY BEEN 5 WEEKS AND 1 DAY SO I KNOW I HAVE A LONG ROAD AHEAD .....BUT WILL TAKE ANY HOPE FOR TODAY......

Dave, I'm glad you have felt Mike today and can smell his smell. I still remember George's smell even though it disappeared probably a month or so after he died. Keep having a good day!!

I am glad you had a good day Dave.

Since I had to move right after she died, I don't have any smells left.

I did keep one of her pillows which I keep on the left side of the bed where she always slept. As luck would have it one of the few helpful things I found early was putting that pillow there. At night I reach my arm over the pillow like she was there like I did when she was alive. Probably the only reason I can get decent sleep at night.

I have Bill's jacket hanging on the back of my bedroom door...I sometimes put it on and feel his hugs. I do not remember much about doing this but a couple of days before he died, I cut a bit of his hair and put it in a plastic bag....I think I learned that from my mom who saved one of each of her kids' curls...when we were tots. I still have mine in a scrapbook. I keep this in a little box with his rings and watch. I wear his wedding ring. I hold it and just weep because it is such a physical piece of him. I am glad I did it and in a discreet manner...though at the time I wondered if it was the right thing to do. I also keep his pillow on our bed. The house is full of reminders...his antique clock collection, certain CDs, things we all have around...and oh how I wish for one minute with him. like we all do. mfh

Guest Nicholas

I have one of my son's stuffed toys sitting by my bedside, but I have the opposite feeling - going into his room distresses me too much.

Nicholas

I have the pillows lined up where Ruth slept not making the king bed so big....I have her things everywhere in my new home, and a memorial/shrine dedicated to one area of the family/great room...I kept a few special pieces of clothes and are bagged so they can retain her smell, I am still unpacking even after 3 months and I find "her" everywhere as I unpack, all the little things, but it's good as it keeps me constantly seeking to find more....I have felt her very strong this week also as this was our anniversary week...

NATS

It's been three months and I still have not slept in our bed....just can't bring myself to lay down there without him....also have his pillow with same case on it...sleep on it every night...and his shoes by the door where he always left them.....comforts me. Yesterday I got his lawn chair out and sat in the sun for awhile. Sitting in that chair felt like a huge hug...and I know he was right there with me...He loved that chair and the sun and it warmed my heart. Will be a big step when I can finally go to bed.

It's been three months and I still have not slept in our bed

It's been six years and I still choose to sleep in the recliner. The bed is just a reminder that he is gone.

Just one more hug,

One of the things I sold was our queen size water bed that we had for about 15 years.

Since the rooms are small at my sisters house I did not buy another bed, I'll wait until I move out.

I have one my son's twin beds from his bunk bed that is also about 10 to 15 years old and the base mattress has blue hot air balloons on it !!

Just another one of those things ya just never would see yourself in at this age.............. LOL

Dear Dave,

I am glad you had a of feeling in a good mood and felt Mike near and smelling his smells. I know how comforting that feels and I am glad you experienced it too. I really do want to encourage you though that you will never loose Mike, get over him, he will be part of you and reside in your heart where only he can. Please don't every worry about that.

It has been over 7 years for me now and it is my experience that my Melissa is more a part of me now than ever. Love survives death and nothing, not time, not anything can change that.

I still sleep while wearing Melissa's pyjama's....:)

Blessings and Courage, Carol Ann