Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Last Voicemail

jwielg1017

After My fiance passed away in Sept. 2011.

I found an old voicemail he left me when he was in the hospital. I frantically tried to save the voicemail. I felt like if i lost that voicemail I would have a nervous breakdown. I try to listen to that voicemail every week. It's like my one last voicemail from him, to hear his voice again. As hard as it is to hear it, its comforting, because I'm afraid i'm going to forget what he sounded like.

Is this weird?

I don't have any voice mail or video but do have my best friend's pictures. All I need is to keep her alive in my heart and listen. It is more peaceful. I would not hold on to a voice mail but try to keep them and ourselves alive in our heart.

Regards,

Kavish

I saved Bill phone greeting onto my phone and on a CD and I have a few snatches on. Video. I wish I had thought to have him read his poems on tape. I fell in love first with that voice...warm and kind. An 86 year old friend of mine told me she would melt when she heard it. It is not weird. it is a treasure.

Peace mary

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's a great thing to save your loved one's voice. For me, since I'm almost totally blind, I really can't see pictures. A lot of people don't think about the voices, so they don't make tapes or anything like that because they have pictures. They don't realize that it's hard in a different way for me. Not being able to hear my loved one's voice would be like not having any pictures for the rest of you guys. This is why I'm always making tapes of people, or using a digital recorder.

• 2 weeks later...

I found an old voicemail he left me when he was in the hospital. I frantically tried to save the voicemail. I felt like if i lost that voicemail I would have a nervous breakdown. I try to listen to that voicemail every week. It's like my one last voicemail from him, to hear his voice again. As hard as it is to hear it, its comforting, because I'm afraid i'm going to forget what he sounded like.

Is this weird?

I don't think it is weird. I only wish with all my heart that I had one to save. I am afraid like you that his memeory will leave me. I have pictures so I have to be content with that. I am constantly searching on the internet for something he posted, or of some on line group he was in that I was unaware of. To only find more...to keep him alive inside of me. Anything new for me is like he is here again.

Kim

• 3 weeks later...

i don't think its weird. i still have the whole last convo of text messages from like 2 months worth. my new phone deleted it and i just about broke down, glad i had it saved on my older phone as well. he wouldn't leave messages all that often and i didn't have any voice mails to save, but i'm glad i still have a convo to read, as hard as it is.

I wish I had one to save also. I managed to save his message on his cell phone and I am now transferring our old VHS tapes to DVD and there are a couple of good shots and voice keepers on those but mostly they were of scenery or building our houses and we never even watched them and finally quit using a video camera....I hope once I get these digitized to take clips off of the DVDs and make one DVD that is meaningful. Before my mom died I had her speak into a frame that had a chip in it to record her voice. I then put her photo in the frame and can push a button and hear her voice. Why did I not do that with Bill? I think I was too traumatized by the reality.

mfh

• 4 weeks later...

Is this weird?

No, it's 100% normal. I have an older voicemail I'm trying desperately to save somehow as well.

• 2 months later...

I have seven messages on my cellphone from my Arthur...I re-save them regularly and have been trying to get a good recording of them on my computer. I have a horrible fear of losing them. I also have a few short videos I took with my cellphone and camera. I feel like an Arthur hoarder...I have been frantically gathering videos, pictures, voice clips and stories (memories) since he died on Easter. I have this intense terror that I will forget something about him.

Lina, I am so very sorry about the loss of your Arthur. I lost my husband 2years ago. I understand your desire to retain his voice on your cell. I took mine to the local office and the gal copied Bill's greeting to a CD and to a file on my phone. I did not have his voice elsewhere with one exception of a video briefly and it was his voice I first fell in love with. You might take your phone in and ask them or a tech geek. In two years I have not forgotten anything about Bill, I remember more and more and keep a list of memories as they come up. Peace to your heart, Mary mfh

In two years I have not forgotten anything about Bill, I remember more and more and keep a list of memories as they come up. Peace to your heart, Mary mfh

I am really praying I don't forget anything. I am writing things down as they come to mind. I have a folder on my computer full of quotes from his emails, short videos I took with my phone and bits and pieces of memories...even such silly things like how Arthur never brushed his teeth in the bathroom...during the summer he would wander around outside looking at his plants and in the winter he used would watch TV while brushing. He had so many wonderful quirks...I don't want to forget a single one. Thank you for the reassurance.

You will remember what matters. There is no way we can remember everything in our lives. The important memory is the love you shared...and in time you will see that the love is tucked carefully in your heart never to be forgotten. I do understand your desire to remember every detail. I also wanted to do that initially but now, two years later, I have a larger picture and the love we shared is the most important memory I have. Though I still do have my list and add to it now and then. He is with you!

Peace

Mary

• 1 month later...

Not werid at all. I have voice messages of my love that I play over and over again. I only wish I had more.

Is this weird?

Just wanted to add that after trying to find more "technical" solutions, I simply played back the voicemail into my built-in mic on the laptop through the Windows Sound Recorder "accessory" program, and although the volume on it is a bit low (yes I had all volumes maxed), it was enough, and I saved it off (and emailed to myself on 2 diff email accounts) so I'm sure I have it. In case anyone is wondering how to save this should work and then you don't have to worry about saving it on your phone.

I think this is very normal. My darling man passed away in Feb. and I am doing the very same thing. It is actually a relief to know other people do this. I wish I had earlier voice mails, before he got so sick and sounded sick. I have forgotten what he sounded like when he was strong. Peace to you.

• 3 months later...

As everyone has said...it isn't weird at all. I totally understand frantically wanting to save it. I am very fortunate in that I have, not only a tape my father spoke for me before he passed on, but also old cassette tapes he recorded of his sessions with his clients in his work as a natural healer. The sound is a bit distorted and sped up but I found a way to slow it down. So i have all these tapes of my dad speaking. It's wonderful.

my mother thinks I should toss away the old cassette tapes since I have now figured out how to transfer the sound to files on my computer. But I don't want to. What if something happened to my computer? No way.

There are also some glimpses of my dad in old videos even though he and my mom separated when I was 3. I love seeing him in the old videos, even if it's from far away from the back...

I don't think it's weird at all. George had a beautiful voice, it would melt my heart. I cried when the tape on my phone deleted his voice...I didn't know it would automatically do that. I don't have his voice on anything, but I remember it so well. Maybe it's good I don't have it, I'd play it over and over again.