Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Gratitudes

mfh

Guest babylady

speaking of chocolate mousse my friend howie is making something for thanksgiving called "death by chocolate". the way he described it -- sounded almost like a chocolate lasagna. i'm looking forward to trying it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh fae, thank you for the recipe! I will have to try it out, I keep contreau on hand. :) I like to add rum to my chocolate mousse too! Heck, if you have enough, you don't even know if it turned out or not, you're just happy! :)

Mary,

good pointers...I know when I broke my right elbow, I had the hardest time pouring dogfood into my bin!

HRH QMary,

That's too funny! Mike must have been a hoot!

Arlene,

That does it, "Death by chocolate"! THAT'S how I want to go! :D

QMary, yes look around to see what else you have to bend for..shoes? newspaper delivered (if you still get one)? etc. And heavy things also. No vacuuming...heavy lifting even if you do not have to bend over. She had me at 10 pounds max for 10 days. Thinking of you in the morning. Light surrounds you and healing is already happening.

Peace

Mary

Never saw it, I don't like scary things anyway and that was pretty controversial when it came out, with the church community.

HRH, sounds like Mary is getting you totally prepared!

This is a link to a brief interview with a UW-Madison professor. She speaks about the research on gratitude and discusses the value of writing down those things for which we are grateful. This string is a great place to do that. She emphasizes that these do not need to be big things but the gratitude we express has a great deal to do with our health. Take a listen/watch to this short interview on a Madison, WI TV station:

She talked about people listing their gratitude on Facebook each day. Bill and I used to say them to each other each evening. How I miss that. This is a great place to list them...i.e. telling everyone here.

Today I am grateful for my laptop because it connects me to you and to so many others and to lots of information; for Bentley's recovery from a recent infection and fever; and for the hot coffee I am drinking as I read posts.

Peace,

Mary

A good interview above, Mary. I like the idea of posting our gratitudes here on this forum rather than FB. It's kind of like the positive thread. I have kept a Word document on my computer for several months now and I go to it to just mention what I have been grateful for either that week or sometimes even for the day.

To day I am grateful for the rain that has been steadily coming down giving us the much needed rain we have been thirsty for here in the valley of the sun. Benji likes it too because he likes when I wipe him down with the towel. Sometimes I even throw the towel in the dryer for a few minutes so it is nice and warm - no, he is not spoiled.

Let's face it, Anne. We all grateful for our spoiled dogs. Bentley is very spoiled...nice and clean today after his grooming yesterday...but very spoiled.

Peace to you,

Mary

24 Nov 2013

Tonight i am grateful for the connection I have made here on this forum. We are all on a journey that none of us have asked to be on but I hope that we can travel it with dignity and courage. Thank you for being with me as I move through this eve of eightteen months without my Jim here at my side. May 25, 2012 seems so long ago and yet it seems like yesterday. I am grateful to have known Jim and loved him for those short forty years. I am grateful to have found this place where I feel connected to so many who are traveling this journey with me. For those of you who have been with me I thank you and for those who are traveling your own journey please know that I am here and traveling with you.

I am grateful for a place to be connected with others who are sharing a deep pain of separation of those we love. Anne

Guest babylady

well said anne. wednesday the 27th will be 18 months since john passed. i'm also grateful to have spent almost 41 years with my soul mate. some never experience the kind of love we had for each other.

i'm grateful to hospice of the valley for taking good care of him and directing me to this website.

i'm grateful to howie for being there for me from the beginning. never imagined my massage therapist would become my best friend. i'm looking forward to spending thanksgiving with howie and his wonderful wife and both their families.

arlene

My dear Arlene, Happy Thanksgiving to you and I am so glad that you are here. We do have so much to be grateful for, don't we? I think both of us know just how much HOV has done for us in the care of our spouses and for us.

You are always in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs, Anne

25 Nov 2013

"As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. - John F. Kennedy

Today this quote seemed to have special meaning for me as I think of all those special people who do live by the words they utter. I am thankful for all the people in my life who show care and concern for me.

Anne

Today, I am very grateful for my wonderful G*dchildren, out here splitting firewood for me to haul in the tractor cart. I am incredibly grateful for Doug making sure there were enough logs to last until 2016 (I think they will) and for all he did to take care of me in so many ways.

And I am feeling especially blessed to have this forum as a place to share my journey and express my gratitude for all the gifts that I am given daily, from fresh air and sunshine to wonderful views and beautiful birds. Thank you. Thank you everyone here for your wonderfully warm and caring hearts.

Namaste,

*<twinkles>*

fae

Lovely, fae.

Peace and may that wood get chopped...

Mary

After listening to the 21 Days of Gratitude we were gifted with one more treasure and that was to hear Panache Desai, Doron Libshtein and Louie Schwartzberg dialogue about Radical Gratitude and learn how to live it in our everyday lives.

"We often only give thanks for the people, experiences and things that please us," shares Panache. "Why not say thank you for the good and the not so good? If God is in everything, why not wake up every day and say thank you for all of it? That's radical gratitude."

The full experience of radical gratitude means living everyday with an open heart. When we are grateful for all the pieces of our life - the happiness, the horrible and everything in between - we make ourselves available to embrace all our possibilities and embody our true selves.

This idea may take a lifetime to work on but I think the idea is to work on it and make it a part of our daily lives. All we have is the moment – nothing is guaranteed and as Panache says, “ Life is happening for us NOT to us.”

Tonight I am grateful to sit in the moment and appreciate what is around me right now – my Benji. He has been my lifesaver during this grief journey and I am ever so grateful that he is in my life. I just can’t believe that I rescued him almost one year ago come January 16th. What a birthday party we will have. You are all invited. Anne

After the 21 Days of Gratitude that some of us listened to I found this video to be so inspiring. I hope you enjoy it as I did.

In honor of the 21-Day Gratitude challenge, musicians Nimo Patel and Daniel Nahmod, and friends have gifted the world with a beautiful music video sharing their gratitude!

Grateful: A Love Song to the World

Musicians Nimo Patel and Daniel Nahmod brought together dozens of people from around the world to create this beautiful, heart-opening melody. Inspired by the 21-Day Gratitude Challenge, the song is a celebration of our spirit and all that is a blessing in life. For the 21 Days, over 11,000 participants from 118 countries learned that “gratefulness” is a habit cultivated consciously and a muscle built over time. As a famous Roman, Cicero, once said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all others.” This soul-stirring music video, created within a week by a team of volunteers, shines the light on all the small things that make up the beautiful fabric of our lives.

http://www.karmatube.org/videos.php?id=4460

Anne

Lovely, Anne, just lovely. Thank you, Mary

...and on this final day of the Thanksgiving weekend...a friend posted this on Facebook today.

post-14525-0-38840800-1385909443_thumb.p

Another thought as we close this weekend of thanks:

Thanksgiving Song

As the Great Dynamo who powers the wheels of seasons and years
Turns autumn once more into winter,
At this season of Thanksgiving,
We give thanks for all seasons.

For winter, who strips trees to their basic design,
For stark, minimalist winter,
We give thanks.
May we let go, and grow bright as stars in a clear, frosty night,
The more we are stripped of what we thought we could not do without.

For the springtime that bursts forth,
Just when we think winter will never end,
For irrepressible springtime
We give thanks.
May we never forget the crippled, wind-beaten trees,
How they, too, bud, green and bloom,
May we, too, take courage to bloom where we are planted.

For summer, when fruit begins to ripen more and more,
For the green, swelling high tide of summer
We give thanks.
May we trust that time is not running out, but coming to fulfillment,
May we wait patiently while time ripens.

For autumn and its slow growing fruition
For that season of ultimate rise and fall
We give thanks.
May we gracefully rise to the occasion of our own falling,
Giving ourselves just enough time to go beyond time
To the great Now
At the quiet center of the turning wheels.

We give thanks for all seasons
At this season of Thanksgiving.

- Br. David Steindl-Rast O.S.B.

You are so welcome, Marty. I for one cannot believe that the month of November is over!

And Mary, I love the picture above - you have been one of my guiding lights during my grief journey and I thank you.

Anne

Ah, Anne...my friend David's poems. I use the word friend loosely. I do like that and I am glad and honored that i have been helpful to you on this journey. You have also inspired me and many here.

Peace to you,

Mary