Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Thanksgiving Greetings

Dear friends,

We have all lost so much that it is easy to think we have little left to be thankful for--certainly that has been much in my mind these past few days.

But I have one thing I am deeply thankful for: this site and the people who are on it. Without each of you, this ongoing struggle would long ago have over-matched me.

Thank you especially to Marty and Mary who make this place tick with daily acts of kindness--and to all of you who write so regularly and make this loneliness more endurable.

Be well.

Peace,

Harry

I feel that way too, Harry.

Today wasn't good. I started my day out with the phone not working. Neither did the neighbors so I figured it was the whole street. I had plans to drive my sisters around today, it was one of their birthdays. I woke at 2 with a stiff neck...discovered the "headache" I've had for two days was more than that...the dog I'm sitting pulled a couple of muscles in my back, evidentally in my neck as well. I had a very difficult time driving and my sister had to check for cars for me as I couldn't turn to the left. I was in so much pain today! I finally got home, built a fire, unloaded groceries, fed animals, went down to Sammy's to let her and Arlie play for two hours, came home and collapsed, by then it was 8:30.

Looks like my Thanksgiving plans are canceled..,I'm unable to drive by myself and in too much pain to consider driving 150 mile round trip. :(

A poem for my friends in the USA

Thanks

by W. S. Merwin

Listen

with the night falling we are saying thank you

we are stopping on the bridges to bow from the railings

we are running out of the glass rooms

with our mouths full of food to look at the sky

and say thank you

we are standing by the water thanking it

smiling by the windows looking out

in our directions

back from a series of hospitals back from a mugging

after funerals we are saying thank you

after the news of the dead

whether or not we knew them we are saying thank you

over telephones we are saying thank you

in doorways and in the backs of cars and in elevators

remembering wars and the police at the door

and the beatings on stairs we are saying thank you

in the banks we are saying thank you

in the faces of the officials and the rich

and of all who will never change

we go on saying thank you thank you

with the animals dying around us

our lost feelings we are saying thank you

with the forests falling faster than the minutes

of our lives we are saying thank you

with the words going out like cells of a brain

with the cities growing over us

we are saying thank you faster and faster

with nobody listening we are saying thank you

we are saying thank you and waving

dark though it is

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. It is good to be amongst such caring people. From my heart to yours I wish you all a sense of peace on this Thursday. We are all connected because of the love we have experienced during our life with our spouses. I for one am grateful to all of you on this day. You have made my journey bearable.

The poem is nice, Jan. Kay, I am so sorry that you are hurt. I hope the headache is gone. Harry, right back at you. We have been a good support group to one another and we are so fortunate to have the love and guidance of Marty and Mary. How lucky can a group of people be. Blessings to all.

Anne

I too am so thankful for this place, and the wonderful friends that I have made here. I feel like, although I have never met any of you, and probably never will, that I am as close to you as anyone can be. Kay, so sorry about your being hurt.....hope your neighbor brings you something really special to compensate for your injuries taking care of the "wild one", and so very sorry about your Thanksgiving plans. So thankful for Marty, for working so hard to save our site, and for Mary for agreeing to come on board as an additional moderator. We are truly blessed.

Spent yesterday doing baking that I have not done in a long time....pies from scratch, pumpkin bread, etc. Getting ready to put the crockpot dressing on soon, and get the "bird" in the oven. My friend Vive is coming to watch the parade with me, and will help me get it all ready....then the family will come about 1:30.....forget diets today!!!

Thank you all very much for your own particular thoughts and wisdom, and yes, sometimes humor that you bring to us here.

Mary (Queeniemary) in Arkansas

Harry, I agree, we have all lost so much and yet here we all are saying thank you because there is so much...the gifts are endless.

Kay, I am so sorry your day has become riddled with pain and disappointment. I hope your neck heals quickly.

Jan, I love that poem...no matter what as it says so well, we say thank you. Thank you for sharing that and for sharing in our holiday here.

Anne, I agree, a "sense of peace" is, indeed, the greatest gift we can wish each other. If we have peace within, we can handle anything.

QMary, I know what you are grateful for...as am I...vision. You are baking up a storm out there....too bad miles prevent all of us from invading your kitchen today.

To all here...how grateful I am that in this past year/s you have been there for me and with me as we have all walked our paths of memories and grief and gratitude for what has blessed us and our lives. I am humbled and honor to be here for you.

Thank you to all who participate here, who though in pain yourselves, repeatedly reach out to each other with tenderness, understanding and support. That is what makes this circle sacred. I share today a portion one of Bill's and my favorite poets and poems, the whole of which was read at Bill's funeral.

i thank You God for most this amazing

day:for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky; and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes

e.e. cummings
1894-1962

We are all infinite, as are our relationships with those we love, be they with us physically or in spirit.

Peace to your hearts, today and every day,

Mary

Dear Ones,

When I count my blessings, I find that what I value most in life are the treasures that are free: family, loved ones, friends, neighbors, colleagues, and my fellow travelers in life's journey: those of you who are finding your way through loss and inspiring me daily with your wisdom, courage and determination ~ all as valued as you are to me.

I am wishing all of you life's dearest blessings on this Thanksgiving Day, and always.

I want to wish everyone a peace filled Thanksgiving day. Thanks to all of you for saving me when I couldn't save myself all these years. Won't be seeing family as I have to work today (customer service, hoping for the best). My beagle is not feeling well, don't need another vet bill right now. What am I thankful for... my family, my sons and I have Larry in my heart. Deborah

A peace filled day to you, Deborah...and friendly, peaceful customers.

Mary

Guest babylady

happy thanksgiving to all of you and thanks for this site. yesterday was 18 months since john passed. don't know what i would have done without all of you being here for me.

i had a good day. went to howie's. he had 15 people -- his family and carolyn's. after we ate some of us sat outside and chatted. i left around 5. as soon as i left the loneliness hit and i started to cry.

the families are all very close and get along great. seems with my family there was always some kind of drama going on. same with john's.

right now i'm watching re-runs of "without a trace".

arlene

Deborah, have you got your dog on Probiotics?

Probios® Dispersable Powder

You can buy it at the vet or on line...I got mine on Amazon as I give Arlie a daily dose, he used to get sick frequently and doesn't now that he's on Probiotics. 5 lbs for $37 lasts 1 1/2 years or you can get .5 for about $15 from the vet...I get the bigger quantity to save in the long run. I find it much cheaper than vet bills! I mix pumpkin, yogurt, and canned dogfood, and take a heaping T. of that and mix with 1/2 tsp. of the Probios powder, he loves it, once a day.