Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Gb Kitty Is Missed

Marj37

I do the same Mia, divide my life into Before/after Chesters death. I think I fear forgetting him. Even though I think about him constantly, he does feel so far away already. Just missing that day to day contact. Missing that spark he had. Its not something thats easy to hold on to 

I can sure really to that Copperpot---missing the spark.   Oh, lordy!    I do so miss Gb and his whole days of sparkle.

I have nothing new to say emotionally - the moments of sadness strike out of the blue.

This house is like a tomb. That adds to the sadness.    Hamish is vocal sometimes but other than cuddling and eating/sleeping it is so quiet - no activity.  Therefore - I must go on. Have decided to adopt two kitties - young ones.   I was rejected by one rescue group yesterday - no reason- I was devastated.  One of the questions was the birthdate.!  Hmmm!  On Monday I will visit our Humane Society - there are several on their website that I want.   Have to go to downtown Detroit and need to watch out for traffic conditions as there are closures slated for Saturday plus 3 big events going on.   Please cross your fingers for Hamish and me.   It will be good for there to be activity in this house - Hamish is way too withdrawn - took him for a checkup Wednesday and all is fine physically.  He will be cross as you know what but I'm sure it will work out with my patience.   I sure did not make this decision lightly.  I love cats and even tho pain comes when they leave I want to make this be a  home again.

I think of you all daily.

Marj, Hamish and Angel Gb

Marj,
I don't understand your being rejected for adoption of kittens, that makes no sense!  I know of no one any better equipped to make a home for a couple of kittens!  Seeing how loving your home is, what a great mom you are to your animals.  

I wish you well today and pray all goes well with the traffic, etc.  My thoughts are with you and I hope by this time tonight you are a new mommy once again.

Thanks, Kayc.     My vet didn't understand either. 

I couldn't go to the Humane Society today --- the traffic reports this morning were really bad so i'll go on Monday.

Marj, my dear, I am so sorry to learn that you were rejected by that rescue group. Although you weren't given a reason, I know that some rescue groups have policies and rules that may seem arbitrary to the rest of us, such as wanting to find "a home for life" for their adoptees (translation: place the pet with a younger person). While their intentions may be good, a rule like this does nothing to guarantee the intended outcome. The truth is that any one of us, no matter our age, is at risk of dying before our pets do! Accidents, serious illnesses and other life-ending tragedies affect the young as well as the old. As responsible pet parents, all of us should be making arrangements for what will happen to our pets if something happens to us first.  (See, for example, Providing for Pet Care In Your Absence.)

I agree with "America's Veterinarian," Dr. Marty Becker, who writes, " I know that shelters and rescue groups have the very best of intentions in setting up their adoption policies, but I much prefer to see each pet and each potential adopter considered as an individual. I would rather see guidelines than rules, and that’s because in my more than 30 years of practicing veterinary medicine, I have seen so many people who cared so much for their pets that they’d do anything for them." Clearly you are one of those people, and I hope you will find those two young kitties to love. They deserve a mom like you, and you deserve to have them.

Hi, Marj,

A better mommy no cat could possibly have than you.  You are a wonderful, wonderful cat mommy.  You should not be refused kittens based on your age.  I believe all pet owners, particularly we older ones, do need to arrange good care for our pets in our absence, especially if we adopt them when they're young.  

I have one neighbor,  who about is my age (71), who just lost her much-loved dog, and has recently adopted a new puppy.  She made arrangements to have her niece take care of her new baby, if she herself can't.  That's being responsible.

I have another neighbor who is quite ill with cancer and really bad  COPD, yet he adopted a boxer dog and a cat.  On that one, I can't help but wonder what the Humane Society was thinking.  We've worried about our neighbor for a long time, and Amberly has helped him medically whenever he's needed her.  Now, we worry about his animals having good care.  He has a heart big enough for a multitude of pets, and has been an excellent pet owner for many years, but his health is now broken.  I wonder if he might not be denying the reality of his health and willing himself to live.  He's also very lonely, so I hurt for him.  He has no family, and no friend to take his pets.  He says they can go back to the Humane Society.  Unfortunately, old, sick and not-so-cute animals are not often adopted again, and must be caged for the rest of their lives.  So sad.  

I am a cat person.  I would love to have a cat.  We've always had a house cat before Jerry became allergic.  I would also love to have another baby Doxie (seems I must!).  It feels like we just can't be without one, but we have a very small family, and no one to be responsible  for it when we can't.  

If Amberly decides to get a baby Doxie, we can babysit (I'm daydreaming).   She's at work most of her time, so she likely will not get one anytime soon.  Jerry's 2-month stay in Modesto (hospital) taught us that now is not the right time for us.  We must stay at the ready to move fast back to Modesto.

Beauregard (our last Doxie baby) is now critically ill with pancreatitis.  He was diagnosed today.   If he did not have pancreatitis, his diagnosis would be kidney disease, because his kidney enzymes are quite high.  I looked at those lab values, groaned, and told Amberly that he has KD just like his cousins, Ashely and Callie.  She said that she thought so also, but the vet expects the kidney enzymes to go down if we can get the pancreatitis under control.  

Unless those numbers come down, he will have both.  Things are not looking safe for our boy even if he has "only" pancreatitis.  The vet said that he may not make it.  Amberly says pancreatitis is treatable, and she's going to fight for him.  Fluids are ultra important.  She could get the vet to give him only 100 mL of water by bolus yesterday, because he's not dehydrated.  Today, she asked for another bolus.  The bag was marked for 200 mL.  The vet stepped out of the room.  Amberly began squeezing the bag until she had 300 mL into him, and then removed the needle.   She knew not to give more, because he has a heart murmur.   She said that had she given him 500 mL, he would have been the size of two Doxies ?.

Our regular vets are not on duty, and are unavailable.  You've heard me say that a few times, haven't you (one did call and apologize re Callie's death; not her fault ~ on vacation)?  The two vets Amberly could get are right out of school, and we had never met them.   Amberly says she likes them both; they're just inexperienced, she says.  She believes our regular vets would be giving him as much water by bolus as he can tolerate.  I do also.

I've decided that if I find myself alone, I'm going to adopt at least one old raunchy ally cat, and love her with all my heart.  I'm going to enjoy giving her the best life possible, while filling my own empty arms.  I'll ask God to send me just the right one.  Old, sad, hurting cats need a good home where they are treated with tenderness.   Maybe you can move next to me, Marj,  and we can open a home for cats of all ages  ❤️.

I wish you well ~ and healing.  

Hugs,

Carrie

Thanks so much Carrie and Marty.

I now have two adoptee kittens (Shamus and Brianna) from the Humane Society --- they are a bundle of energy!   wow!     And I have them squestered in their own room for at least a week until I am sure they have no illness the HS might have missed.  Also, they need to know it is their safe room.    Hamish growled at the door once and that was it.  I'm sure in a week he will be used to their smell.   They tear around the room so cute.  And both are quite lovable when I can get them on my lap.

Humane Society had no problem with me adopting.   And so reasonable and was given a lot of kitty kibble and a laser toy thing.  Already are neutered/spayed and chipped!

I made arrangements with my younger son, even before I filled out any applications , to take them if I am deceased before them.   Thanks, Mary - going to read that link anyway.

I think it would be really neat, Carrie, to adopt an older cat.   I couldn't because I still have Hamish and I can't afford the problems an older cat would run into.  Much as I hate to see them in those cages.

Hope Beau can get stable for you to have him for awhile yet, Carrie.

I think my precious Gb angel was a guide in all this.   I keep talking to him and sure do miss his special persona.   I'll post kitty pics when I can get them to sit still.   :))

Marj and Hamish & Angel Gb

Marj, I am so very happy to see that you have gotten yourself a couple of youngsters to join your family!

It has been said that when you introduce new cats into a household that already has cats, it is a good idea to keep them separate for awhile as you have done.  As you mentioned about smell, that is why they need to be separate; to get used to the smell first.  To me it seems that Hamish will quickly adjust to his new brother and sister (love the names you picked out) if he only growled once.  That tells me that he would quickly welcome them because of his feeling lonely also.

I also find it very strange to say the least how you weren't allowed to adopt from the rescue group.  But things always happen for a reason.  It seems that it was meant to be that you should be mommy to Shamus and Brianna, handpicked by God, just for you to love.  Maybe soon you can post pictures of your new babies?

You said this house is like a tomb.  That is how mine feels right now especially because I am now completely alone.  It will still take me quite awhile before I move, but I wish I could make it happen sooner so I can also again be able to bring home some lovies to take care of and cherish.  For this past month I have hardly done any packing at all, I was feeling so low, like I didn't care about anything at all.  But I want the thought of new family members to be my motivation to try to pick up where I left off to get things done and be that much closer to the time I can also adopt some furbabies.  (Either two cats or a cat and a small dog.)

My thoughts and prayers are with you all!

~ Mia ~

Carrie,

A consideration might be a "family adoption" where Amberly has it during the night and you have it during the day when she's working.  That way there's always someone else, should the need arise.  I took care of my granddoggy whenever my son couldn't, sometimes for months at a time, and loved him more than anything!   Another consideration is adopting an "unadoptable", like an older cat.  My Kitty is in terrific health but at 20 years old, no one would likely adopt her should she need it.  Fortunately for me, my daughter is a cat lover and would take my cats in if something happened to me, I'd see to it she had their expenses covered.  My son loves my dog, but my DIL does not, and I would not want him in a home where he wasn't treated as an equal with their other dogs, so I opt instead to place him with my neighbor and friend, as my dog adores him and is well acquainted with his dogs and household, should that ever become necessary.  I've made my wishes known and checked with him about it...he says he'd take him in a heart beat.

I disagree with rigid policies like you ran across, Marj.  I'm glad you have yourself two new additions to your family and hope you have many years enjoyment together!

Mia, good luck with the impending move!  It'd be great if you could have a couple of new critters join your household as well!

Hi --- soon I will post pics of my new kids.   It's hard to get them to keep still they are so busy in their room.   I won't be allowing them out for at least a week and want to have stools checked on Friday as a precaution.  They are so healthy.

It is difficult today --- 3 weeks since Gb left and this week is 15 years since I brought Gb and Hmish home as teeny kittens only 6 weeks old.  And now it is 15 years gone by.  And I also have my smiles as these new kids are loving (already had kitty kisses) and fun to watch and love to play with me also.

Kayc - I knew you had a 20 years old but now I saw in another post you have a second one that you live with.  Super!   In addition to your wonderful Arlie of course.

Good day to all, Marj, Angel Gb, Hamish, Shamus & Brianna.

Yes, Kitty is 20, I don't know how old Miss Mocha is, I would guess at least 14, I've had her nearly ten years.  She'd already had kittens and gotten spayed before I got her, she was an adult, not a kitten, but she hasn't really changed over the years so no idea how old she was when she came to me (she just showed up, living in the rafters of my garage).  I live in the country and I think someone drove out here and dumped her off.  She has some annoying habits and I think they just got tired of it.  She's beautiful and sweet, very feminine and dainty.  Some people shouldn't be pet owners, they judge animals by their human standards instead of learning about the animal and understanding where THEY are coming from.  When they do something, it means something different to them than it does to us.

KayC, I'm glad to hear that at 20, Kitty is in good health.  May she be with you for many more years to come!

Marj, I love how you include Angel Gb in wishing us all well. :)  I'm wondering if you have felt the presence of his spirit?  I have not with Spooky, but maybe I don't know what to look for.  I so want to feel his spirit and know that in spirit he will always be with me.  That would comfort me alot.

~ Mia ~

KayC, I'm glad to hear that at 20, Kitty is in good health.  May she be with you for many more years to come!

Marj, I love how you include Angel Gb in wishing us all well. :)  I'm wondering if you have felt the presence of his spirit?  I have not with Spooky, but maybe I don't know what to look for.  I so want to feel his spirit and know that in spirit he will always be with me.  That would comfort me alot.

~ Mia ~

Hi Mia----- I'm never sure.   But I was sure to take these kittens.   Still have them separated as I took a stool sample to my vet and they have a parasite - so today I take them for a checkup and get their meds for it.   I let them out to run the hallway at least once a day and the bedroom is pretty large.

Oh, and i do miss my angel Gb!!!!   Oh yes.

Hello all.........with some tears, as usual, I am giving the link to the little movie my younger son made yesterday when he came to meet my kittens.

The dark kit on the left is Brianna, Shamus is the busybutt!

Marj, Hamish, Angel Gb, Shamus & Brianna

Marj,

They are just absolutely adorable.  I'm glad you decided to adopt again.

Marj, what beautiful kids!  Saying Shamus is the busybutt tells us that you are already getting to know their personalities.  I am glad for that because that will endear them to you that much more quickly.  I hope their check-up goes well.  Is Hamish getting used to them yet, or are you not able to let them be together yet because of the parasite?  Your sweet active kitties, that is exactly what you need now to help ease your aching heart dear Marj.

I still find myself crying alot at times over missing Spooky.  It hits me out of nowhere sometimes.  I do so look forward to getting more furbabies, but like you Marj, I will never ever stop missing Spooky.  Someone gave me a book about a forever cat, and that is how I am now thinking of Spooky, as my forever cat.  That's how close we were to each other, and those feelings don't vanish into thin air just because he is physically gone.

Blessings,

~ Mia ~

Yup - for sure our Forever Kitties......... Sigh!    I just posted a poem under the Stories and Memories topic.  A beautiful reminder their presence is with us.

Having a weepy day today.   Fall has it's wistful sadness also.    Even as I played with the new kids today my tears were running.  They are dear.  And I miss Gb so much.  it's cute and amazing  how Shamus has some of his qualities and actions.  For instance there is a low box outside my bedroom door that Gb liked to sit in.  I left it there and guess who sits in it now!!!!  Gb must be teaching him; and I surely chose those I was supposed to .  And Brianna is so sweet and came on my lap yesterday with kisses.  

Hugs to all of us who mourn together with tears and smiles.

Hello--------writing to ask you all to pray for my old cat.   He won't eat since yesterday  because  he is so stressed by the kittens in the house even tho they've only been downstairs 3 short times in the two weeks they've been living her      And I am slipping back into sadness from the loss of  my Gb.

The kids are so sweet and fun and playful.  And there's my Hamish growling and me and refusing food.  I'm starting to force feed him carefully.   I asked the vet to order a compounded appetite med.  I am so overwhelmed with vet debt  since the beginning of May  I don't want another pricy vet visit;  plus to take Hamish in for a shot will just  be another awful stressor in his life - he really gets  upset to the extreme.

I attempt to be calm & positive and practice what I've learned in Yoga - sometimes it is a huge challenge.

Glad we are  here together through the ups and downs.   I think of you all daily.

Near the end of my King George's life, he was 15% underweight, and we had to try to get him to eat so enticed him with home cooked liver, chicken, bacon, tuna, anything to get him to eat. We were fighting a losing battle, as it turned out, because he had cancer and with it his sinuses clear through to the back of his throat were affected...I won't go into description, but it's amazing he ate anything.  Most of all, though, he knew he was love and no matter what tortuous thing I had to do to him (again, don't want to describe what we had to do), no matter how much pain he was in, he purred.  It broke my heart for him.

I'm sorry your cat is having a hard time accepting the youngsters.  But only seeing them three times in two weeks is not "letting them bother him", so I don't know what more you could do to relieve his anxiety.  I'm sorry you're going through such a hard time...

Oh Marj, I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through right now!  Poor Hamish, I hate to hear how stressed he is with the new babies in the house!  He obviously was so set in his ways with Gb, as were you, that even though he has seen the kitties for such a short time, it maybe upsets him because they can't take the place of Gb.  So maybe it's not the amount of times he has seen them, but rather, just him knowing they are in the same house as he.  Cats are so territorial as you know.  I really wish I had some advice for you right now, but I am coming up short.  The stress is making you feel the sadness over losing Gb all over again.  Maybe Hamish thinks you are favoring the kitties over him now?  The only thing I can suggest is at least for now, spend more time with Hamish than ever before.  At least the kitties have each other for company, but it looks like Hamish needs you physically near him now to make up for the loss of Gb. Maybe that will be a reassurance to him that you are not trying to replace him and that you love him as much as you always have.  Keep us posted as to how things are going, ok?

Blessings,

~ Mia ~

Marj, how is it going? Haven't heard from you this week...how are the troupe all doing?

Dear Marj,

I am just learning about Hamish and your prayer request for him.  I will pray for you, as well as for him.  We've all learned to love him, you know.

I haven't been on the forum a lot lately due to a combination of an arthritis flare, Meniere's episode, and cataract surgery.  It's for certain suppressed stress can upend us.  I've been upended before, and by the grace of God, have been able to fight my way back to reasonably good health.  I expect to again.  Tonight I sound like the little old lady I am. :blink:  Not being able to cry for my babies pushed me into a Menieres episode.   Stress and sodium are the two primary things that cause Meniere's episodes.  I definitely control the sodium (500 mg), but the long-time stress caught up with me.  

I feel like I'm neglecting you and others, but each of you is in my thoughts and prayers daily.  

Please let us know how you are when you feel like it, and are ready.

Warm hugs,

Carrie