Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Nothing working!

I'm a winter wimp too underneath all the pioneer exterior!

• Upvote 1

Well as much as I hate to admit it, once this snow lets up I'll need to shovel out the drive.  Fortunately it's a short drive but we're getting a decent amount.  Nothing compared with our compadrés in Oregon and British Columbia (sorry Gwen but sea level living doesn't count no matter how much rain you get a year :P) but compared with what we've received the past four years (not more than two feet combined) I'll take it.  

No worries, Brad.  I'm used to living like a drowned rat 7 months of the year.  Tho we did have some snow the other day.  When we get a heavy snow it cripples the city since it is built in a forest.  Too many steep streets.  Plus most here haven't a clue about how to drive in it.

They don't know how to drive in snow here either,  See many people with SUVs driving much faster than conditions allow.  The think that because the 4  wheel drive will help them go in snow it will also help them take corners and stop.  They do tend to end up off the road.  But then I should talk...:unsure:

6 hours ago, TH said:

Please ship some of your snow over to us in dreary, damp, windy England! I'm finding the weather so mentally draining, it's far too dark, too warm for the time of year and a lot of rain (we're sure used to rain here but it's getting a bit much, oh for something different). 

You heard the woman......pack up all that snow and send it to merry olde England.  TH, I live in Seattle which is like a carbon copy of England, so I'll not contribute any of our rain.  :rolleyes:

Yep definitely shovelling more today but it is beautiful.  I've always loved the snow, especially now that I don't have to drive in it if I don't want to.  It's so pretty draping on the Ponderosas.  And then for those of you who don't keep in mind that come June through September when our highs are mid 80's we use Mother Nature as our air conditioner.  If the house gets too hot we open a window or two. :D

IMG_1765.jpg

That is the right attitude about winter driving, never drive when there is a time constraint.......wait till the roads are clear, and the sky as well. I avoid driving at night also, unless there's a good size moon......our weather has just turned mild, super Foggy....

Ugh.....when I move to Michigan, I will once again have to deal with winter/snow....I always detested winter!  But it's a price I'm willing to pay to be near my family once again....I lived in it for 47 years, I can do it again!  And only until such time as I can retire fully and live the best of both worlds.....life as a snowbird!!!  I would not mind the snow so much.....if it would just stay OFF of the roads!!!

Brad, your snow is beautiful!  I can wait for more though, I still have plenty leftover.  I guess I'm supposed to get some more Saturday.  I'm hoping not a lot because I have a luncheon I'd rather attend than shoveling snow again!  My muscles are just getting over the last time!

Okay, you Englanders, send a U-Haul and we'll be glad to pack the snow in for you! :D
Floridans...grr! :)  Super jealous!

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Brad said:

Kat - 

So you will have snow in the winter and heat/humidity in the summer.  Oh the price of family.  :D

Brad

Oh heaven's no!!!  If I snowbird....will live in FL the winter months, then return to Michigan in the Spring....when it is starting to get miserably hot here!  With a quick trip back up for Christmas, of course!  The park I'm now living in has the "7/5" rent program for snowbirds.....if you live here for only 5 months of the year, you receive greatly reduced lot rental for the 7 months you are gone.....I like that idea!  Most of the parks (and there are scads of them) have this program....which is why Florida is the "Snowbird Capital of the World". :rolleyes:

15 hours ago, Brad said:

Deedo and I talked of being snowbirds, but then for us it was only 200 miles from the Valley to the Mountains.

It's a good choice, snowbirding, for many........especially ones such as I.....I am the world's most apprehensive winter weather driver, and I find that very cold temps tend to make my arthritis worse. Such a joy, aging and getting creaky!!!!  :wacko:

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 5:11 PM, kayc said:

I'm a winter wimp too underneath all the pioneer exterior!

Kay....you may've posted regarding it and I missed it.......just wondering how it al went w/the insurance adjustor regarding the fallen roof?  Hope it was settled quickly and repairs soon to be made!  Take heart, spring WILL arrive! :rolleyes:

Kat, I still haven't gotten an estimate so I don't know if the insurance came in too low or not...all contractors are too busy!  We are limited here in the country, it's always hard to get someone on the ball.

Kayc-

Don't know if you have the same issue up there, but here many contractors go to the Valley for the winter months since they are limited in the amount of work they can do here with the snow.  

Reading about you all talking about your snow.  We got off lucky this year so far here in the mountains of North Carolina.  It's been relatively mild; might get a little snow tomorrow.  But, it has turned bitterly cold.  My husband and I had also talked of traveling south in the winter. 

I've finally settled on a contractor and it's only $100 over what the insurance adjuster wrote up, plus rot has been discovered in the underlying wood so that will have to be replaced at expense to me.  I hope I don't lose a friend over this because a friend of mine asked her son to come up and do a bid for me.  I'm afraid she'll be upset because I'm not going with him, but he lives 65 miles away and works fulltime and doesn't own a truck so he'd have to get a friend with a truck, all the back and forth on his off time, I just don't think it's feasible as any time now I could get hit with more snow and I just want my roof on.  The local contractor I settled on has two small jobs ahead of me.

Not sure about your weather today, but I have all kinds of snow on the ground this morning........and a fair amount over the next 5-7 days. Roofers are at the mercy of the weather......not part time job.....you made good decision on contractor choice.......have a good day

Not so sure, Kevin...it's been a nightmare, this is the third day and they still don't have the roof on!  Didn't show up until after 1 pm today.  Getting dark out now.  I think he's in over his head, even though he's a roofer, he's used to working for someone else, am starting to wonder.  I should have gone with the other one, even though he was $150 more, would have been way worth it, he was licensed, good reputation, local, etc.  I've learned a LOT of lessons in this!

Just an update...it's gone from bad to worse but hopefully turning a corner?  The guy that was supposed to put my patio roof on (34' x 15') was from hell.  He's had five days to do it and all he did was cut up what was there and make a huge mess.  I paid him $1,000.00 down and after inventorying I find I'm short on materials so have to fork out more for that PLUS start all over with labor from someone else who has to undo what he's done plus do what he should have done.  I've learned a lot of valuable lessons this week...unfortunately costly ones.

Snow and wind is headed here this week so I am hoping this can be started SOON. I'm worried about damage to my outdoor cupboard, it's large and built in to my patio, it's warping from all the moisture it's been in for four weeks now without a roof.  I'm exhausted from all of the stress and the end of the year stuff I'm doing for the Treasurer job I'm doing for the church.  We got the W-2s, W-3, and WR done today, the quarterlies done last week, and next week have to enter new categories and budget items for the year after the business meeting.  Then I'll have to post the June checks which I haven't been able to do waiting on the business meeting because of all the changes we're making to our numbering system.  I knew I wanted to skip January!

You know, you'd think since George has been gone for 10 1/2 years and we were only married 3 years 8 months that dealing with all this stuff by myself wouldn't be such a big deal, but it is.  You never get used to it completely.  You think, "If George was here, he would have dealt with this roof mess and never would have let that guy get away with his crap.  In fact, George would have put the new roof on himself.  And he was such a support to me, just having him to tell about my day would make a world of difference."  So in that sense, it never ends, does it.

Yes I'm used to being alone, but I don't like it any better than ten years ago!  I wish having him back was an option...

Was second contractor your friends son?,,,,,,,,,Small contractors, particularly in a small town , can't afford to screw up because word of mouth goes a long way.....Good luck Kay...I checked your weather the other day...you are a tad warmer than my place......

The one that I just got rid of was my friend's son and he's not from here.  I'm hiring someone from around here who is about 60, knows what he's doing, and has a good reputation in this small town.  He's the one I wanted to hire to start with, I should have followed my gut instinct.  It's going to cost me way more than it would have if I'd gone with him to start with because I lost so much on the first one, esp. since he didn't buy all the needed supplies.  Anyway, he'll start on it Wednesday.  Friday night is when the snow is supposed to arrive, I hope it doesn't amount to anything.

This is the weather for my coordinates...Oakridge is way below where I live.
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=43.80009302166679&lon=-122.41395950317383&site=pqr&smap=1&marine=0&unit=0&lg=en#.Vp1Z-xUrK73