Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Nothing working!

Just got more snow........shovelled neighbors first, he has heart thing going on....but it is light fluffy stuff..........Marg I'm going through the relocation thing now.......but I will hold off until Spring. I think it will take a year or more to sell my house........And then my Animals(dog and cat) have to be considered.......Marg, I understand the benefits of renting, I might even do it short term.....

later

• Upvote 2

Oh Kevin, that's incredible!  Is that where you live?  It's breathtaking!  It's WORTH shoveling snow! :)  Who is feeding the carrots to the deer?  How special!

• Upvote 1

This is so beautiful.  We have four deer that come into the back yard all the time.  I feed the squirrels and birds and they drop a lot off the porch.  The deer will come right up to the porch.  We could never have had a garden.  This spring they ate the blooms off all my neighbors new flowering bushes.  Ate the flowers down to the ground.  No snow this year.  Last year we had it in November.  We live about 175 miles north from our old hometown in Louisiana, but get a lot more snow than we ever did.

KayC ..That is my neighbour, I call her the Deer Whisperer,........This my front yard, live on Washington/BC Border, probably about 300 miles North East of you.......and  Marg, I found only a couple flowers they don't eat ,  Iris's, marigolds, and Pegonia's....and the young ones may try them...  

• Upvote 1

We had deer all summer and fall but here in Arizona they migrate to the lower elevations when the snows come.  Right now the snow level is right about 7,000 feet so they'll pop down to 5,000 feet where the food is plentiful.

Kevin, 

Well you live in one of the most beautiful places in the world!  Deer are usually easily spooked, I'm impressed she could hand feed them.  I'm always just happy if they don't run off when I come out the door!

I'm at about 2,500 elevation and have LOTS of deer, elk too, foxes, wild rabbits, wild turkeys, owls, cougar, bear, raccoons, you name it!

• Upvote 1

Eugene & Springfield are the nearest cities, I live outside of Oakridge, up the mountain from it.  I love the coastal highway, it's beautiful!  It can be treacherous in the winter during the storms, but I think the Oregon coast is one of the most beautiful.  it sounds like you and I have the same taste in scenery!  I love nature!

• Upvote 1

It was 7500 when I moved here, it's about 3500 now (counting Westfir and outlying vicinities).  We once had three mills and now we have none.  There are no sustainable jobs except the few fortunate enough to get on with the USFS , schools or the few others that exist.  It's mostly retired folks and welfare now, sad to say.  But it sure is beautiful!  We're near Salt Creek Falls, it's gorgeous!  Also Kitson Hot Springs, Waldo Lake, tons of trails, boating, fishing, camping, hunting, hiking, bicycling.  It's paradise...but poor.

• Upvote 1

Dear Kevin and Kay!

Those pictures of your beloved home remind me the place I was going at,with my beloved man Jan by my side,in northern Slovakia by the Polish border.There are High Tatras,the most beautiful place here.I was there with my beloved Jan 2 weeks before his death.It was a coloured autumn in the most magical place to be,unforgettable by all means.I live in South by the Austrian border,1 hour from Wien.Today on the New Year´s Day was snowing here for the first time.I look from my window and everything is white.It´s my dream come true and my beloved Jan is so happy seeing me happy again.My dear friends,I have the White Christmas now!

God bless you all!

With love Janka

Season's Greetings

Janka, 

Bratislava looks like a beautiful city and so rich in history.  Here in Arizona history is measured by decades not centuries.  I'm glad you got the white Christmas.  We are getting ready to have another week of frozen mix - a combination of rain, sleet and snow with gray days.  Some day I'll travel Central and Eastern Europe, I've always wanted to see the Alps and the majestic cities of Europe; so much history and so much culture.  Vienna and Budapest are high on my list.

They're predicting freezing rain here.  I was without electricity all day again so am now trying to catch up here.

Kayc-

The rural power grid really does need serious work.  It's a shame to have so many outages.  We were having a lot of outages here in the White Mountains so I finally broke down and bought a back up generator about ten years ago.  I've had to use it once since then.  It seemed to have fixed the entire grid.

Kevin,

The covered bridge picture looks a lot like a place about ten miles from here, only ours is red, it's called The Office Bridge.  It also has a backdrop of mountain/forest and a river, very beautiful!

It "works".....but having such issues with the wifi in my park here in Florida.....at best I get a "fair" signal, and I'm located within 25 feet from the tower thingie!  So frustrating to get "bumped" offline or everything "freezing" and I have to reboot.  No use in complaining, as both internet and cable TV is provided free here. Perhaps it's due to the influx of snowbirds and additional persons using the wifi service?  I'm very "techno impaired".......that was Connor's forte, not at all mine.....always call him my personal tech guru.  My kids, knowing that I am a avid reader, got me one of those "Nook" things for Christmas that I can get books on & read them. I am starting to play with it a bit....but rather intimidated by any new technology. I did not even have a cell phone until about 5 years ago!  Connor would've been thrilled with the Nook, just to have a new techtoy in the house....and would've probably loaded a bunch of books up in it by now!  But, I am determined to learn....hopefully he can channel some help to me!

• Upvote 1

I just use my iPhone that way I have Nook, Kindle, iBooks as well as all of my other apps.  Haven't read a paper book in almost fifteen years.  

WolfsKat- my guess is the problem is the added demand of all of your snowbirds.  More demand does tax the towers.

I'm afraid I'm not very "tech savvy" either. Fortunately, my son & grandson both are. My son builds his own computers. When some new electronic thing comes into this house, one of them sets it up for me & troubleshoots. My internet provider leaves something to be desired, but okay most of the time.

I don't have an iPhone(just an cheap Tracphone) which I never remember to carry with me anyway. Also, no reading device. I like plain old fashioned books. Can't live without that microwave though.  LOL

• Upvote 1

It's nice to have old fashioned books when the power goes out!  I did enjoy my Kindle when I was recuperating from surgery, it's easier on my eyes, but then my router went out so I didn't use it the rest of the year.  I have a new router now but haven't gotten back into using my Kindle yet...

14 hours ago, WolfsKat said:

I did not even have a cell phone until about 5 years ago!  Connor would've been thrilled with the Nook, just to have a new techtoy in the house....and would've probably loaded a bunch of books up in it by now!  But, I am determined to learn....hopefully he can channel some help to me!

I still carry a flip phone that does the minimal, just like I like it.  No one uses the smart phones to actually make calls, do they?  :-)

I think about the unending teasing I would have to take from Steve having this iPad.  He wanted me to try one for years, but I was content with my desk computer.  Now that I have so many hours alone, I am hooked on it for the ease of being in the living room and able to post, email, use the net and play games (really handy to pass time).  I'm a paper book person tho.  Some things are sacred.  I like to see my progress and the feel of them.  Must be a comfort thing.  One thing i did read about Kindles sanctions Nooks is they can disrupt sleep because of the unnatural backlighting.  You'll have to let us know as you master it.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Gwenivere said:

I still carry a flip phone that does the minimal, just like I like it.  No one uses the smart phones to actually make calls, do they?  :-)

I think about the unending teasing I would have to take from Steve having this iPad.  He wanted me to try one for years, but I was content with my desk computer.  Now that I have so many hours alone, I am hooked on it for the ease of being in the living room and able to post, email, use the net and play games (really handy to pass time).  I'm a paper book person tho.  Some things are sacred.  I like to see my progress and the feel of them.  Must be a comfort thing.  One thing i did read about Kindles sanctions Nooks is they can disrupt sleep because of the unnatural backlighting.  You'll have to let us know as you master it.

Going to try....although, like you, I still think I prefer the :"real thing". But have to admit, it might be a mite easier at times, and would be able to access internet/email from it, as well.

I have a sister that prefers paper books, she won't even try the Kindle, even though she could save a lot of money, it'd be easier on her eyes, etc.  She doesn't have internet, but I told her she could download the book with a cafe's wifi and then take the Kindle home and read her book.  Nope, won't do!

I understand preferring paper books, but my eyesight is so bad, I do like the lighting of the Kindle, plus you can make the words bigger. :)  

My friend just hooked me up with BookBub, free and cheap books to download, I may have to try it out.

• Upvote 1

I love the feel, the smell, everything about "real" books.  But, even with bifocals, with reading glasses, with a huge magnifying page, I gave up my precious books until I got my first Kindle.  I am on #5 of "Billy's Kindles" and I don't have to close that door, they will always be Billy's Kindles.  I once was a voracious reader, then I had to give it up.  Billy would read his westerns, his Tony Hillerman's, his C.J. Box books until 2:00 a.m. and then sleep till 9:00 or later.  This was all on Kindles.  In another thread, Brad talks about Marty's book.  I went to Amazon.  It is not on Kindle.  I hated that.   

Marg- Go back to the thread and Marty has posted a link to the website where you can download it in ebook format.

One reason I like it on my iPhone is that I always have my iPhone with me so any time I'm sitting, waiting for an appointment, dining out by myself, etc. I have my books to read.  I read and average of about 100 books annually; typically two to three a week.  Another reason I prefer ebooks is I can get the classics for free.  I'm a big fan of Victorian Era authors, probably because they are free.