Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Not sure, but I think in AA they won't let you even have a plant the first year.  Have close relative in AA.  I don't think I can even be responsible for me right now.  I had a widow friend tell me now I could find myself.  Kind of dark in here.

I've never heard that before.  My MIL was in AA for years.

That whole chat about Animals, plants and responsibility touches on what keeps us "semi-sane". This one mentor(only) told me if it wasn't the care she had to provide for her son, she figured she definitely would have done something  she would later regret . The need for purpose or the current lack of purpose has us on this roller coaster....hang on........The AA thing...I believe, keep a plant alive for a year, before you think about a relationship(28 days Sandra Bullock?)....... 

• Upvote 1

Oh, I see now (after Kevin explained), that makes sense!  If that was the case though, I'd have never had a relationship!  I do NOT have a green thumb!  Actually I was okay with plants until I moved here, I just don't get enough light into the house, the one place good for them is in front of the wood stove which would NOT work! :)

I cannot remember how the AA rules went, but a very close relative went through it and was successful so far, but that was many moons ago.  Right now I am not responsible too much for my own self and I have three plants at home that I am sure have passed on by now.  My daughter has two dogs and two cats.  I don't feel warm feelings for any of them.  I got Desyrel/trazodone for sleep.  I think it is a tricyclic so maybe it will help with the depression some and I will go to "de house" Sunday and try again.  It has to be done. Getting taillight fixed right now.  Showed how smart I am alone.  I thought the shop fixed everything.  I am gonna find those family jewels.

Gwen.......the phone calls quit coming in.... deja vu (all over again) ...This para phrased quote from Gwen reminds of right after I retired, within three weeks my friends from work quit calling, for Beers, get togethers, golf, almost like I evaporated, and now with Angela passing, except for my immediate family, phone might ring twice on a busy day....its so bad, even my x wife from 40 years ago is a welcome distraction....its a new normal all right...Only option is to get out there and restart/reconnect.......off to seniors center, if I can find one......

• Upvote 1

Kevin - 

Know too well what you mean.  I get calls from my kids checking up on me and the Mayo scheduling new appointments.  That's it.  Probably all I can handle anyway.

If there are calls now it is usually the drug store reminding me of a prescription.  Walgreens is my biggest fan, it seems.  I so rarely get calls that I they weren't displayed on the TV, I'd probably miss them.  The phone ringing is just not the norm here anymore.

Kevin, you made me laugh at saying your ex wife was a welcome distraction as it reminded me of this guy I had a long distance thing with for 4 stupid years. I realized it was going no where, but kept it going. When I finally cut it off months before my sister passed I ended up calling him out of desperation of someone to talk to.

He assumed I was opening that door again and I had to shut it down once more. I felt bad for contacting him, but I was literally desperate to talk to anyone, plus he did know my sis and how close we were I wanted him know. But I remember thinking how pitiful that was. That makes me sad! It was sad and funny at the same time I guess.

• Upvote 2