Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Making it through all the firsts

Brat, we had the RVer's mentality.  We were working to get the house ready to put on the market, so neither of us were tied to a house.  The only house I cried leaving was a Holiday Rambler 5th wheel.  That was sold so we could "homestead" in a stix and brix.  Family responsibilities.  Always hated houses.  I will have an apartment because it is compact and someone else is responsible for repairs.  My mom, on the other hand is a homesteader and her house is her castle.. We are all different.  The only thing our last house means to me is that it is in the state he left me in.  If he had been a homesteader, I would stay there.  Right now it is just a reminder of how much he hated doing repairs and how bad he wanted to RV again.  We will have had the RV for a year in March.  We even lived in it when the many family members came to stay.  Billy wanted our son to have it, so he does.  But, it is my responsibility to get rid of the house.  It is not home.

I understand.  We had often talked about giving up the home and just go RVing around, but never did it.  Work and responsibilities kept us from doing it.  We have had this mobile home and land for 23 years, so this is home to me.  I hope that it goes well and that you can get it sold quickly so you won't have to deal with it any more.

• Upvote 1

Brat-

I too find comfort in our home but then this was a place of happiness and joy not illness and sorrow.  I've left most things the same; the only big change was to convert Deedo's Christmas room into my den and the old den into a spare bedroom.  I makes the house more functional and provides more comfort for my kids when the visit.  I've also left up all of the dozens of pictures of us and of Deedo.  They remind me of wonderful times and I need all the smiles I can get.  The kitchen still and always will have a big sign saying "Mom's Kitchen" and all of her trinkets and doodads which adorn our walls will remain.  

I see that I still speak and write in the first person plural (we, our).  C.S. Lewis talked about that as well:

“But there are other difficulties. ‘Where is she now?’ That is, in what place is she at the present time. But if H. is not a body – and the body I loved is certainly no longer she – she is in no place at all. And ‘the present time’ is a date or point in our time series. It is as if she were on a journey without me and I said, looking at my watch, ‘I wonder is she at Euston now.’ But unless she is proceeding at sixty seconds a minute along this same time-line that all we living people travel by, what does now mean? If the dead are not in time, or not in our sort of time, is there any clear difference, when we speak of them, between was and is and will be?”

Excerpt From: C.S. Lewis. “A Grief Observed.” 

Brad

The last 4 1/2 months that Dale was alive was spent here, but even though we were going through all the treatments and bouts of illness from the treatments, the other 22 years here were happy and that out ways the illness.  So our home is my comfort.  I too still speak and write as "us", it's hard not too after 33 years of marriage and I still feel like an "us" and not just a me.  Thank you for the excerpt, it is so true.

7 hours ago, Marg M said:

Brat, we had the RVer's mentality.  We were working to get the house ready to put on the market, so neither of us were tied to a house.  The only house I cried leaving was a Holiday Rambler 5th wheel.  That was sold so we could "homestead" in a stix and brix.  Family responsibilities.  Always hated houses.  I will have an apartment because it is compact and someone else is responsible for repairs.  My mom, on the other hand is a homesteader and her house is her castle.. We are all different.  The only thing our last house means to me is that it is in the state he left me in.  If he had been a homesteader, I would stay there.  Right now it is just a reminder of how much he hated doing repairs and how bad he wanted to RV again.  We will have had the RV for a year in March.  We even lived in it when the many family members came to stay.  Billy wanted our son to have it, so he does.  But, it is my responsibility to get rid of the house.  It is not home.

What does mean "RV" ?

Janka

Janka,

When talking about a moving car RV means recreational vehicle. A perfect way to visit our national parks in the US and visit different states across the country. :wub: I pray you are not in too much pain and if you are it can be controlled. Thinking of you. 

Anne 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, enna said:

Janka,

When talking about a moving car RV means recreational vehicle. A perfect way to visit our national parks in the US and visit different states across the country. :wub: I pray you are not in too much pain and if you are it can be controlled. Thinking of you. 

Anne 

My dear Anne,

I´d also like to have a recreational vehicle...I´d jump into it to look at all of the places I was visiting with my beloved man Jan before... love.gif

PS: I had no serious pain for 4 last days...no pain pills...it gets better!

Thank you for asking! cool.gif

Hugs from Janka

An RV is something some people live in while traveling.  Some are quite exquisite, they have different rooms, couch, recliners, a bar, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom.  They are sometimes called a Coach.

30 minutes ago, kayc said:

An RV is something some people live in while traveling.  Some are quite exquisite, they have different rooms, couch, recliners, a bar, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom.  They are sometimes called a Coach.

Caravan...in Slovak language also "Karavan" :D

Janka

My husband and son-in-law worked for Country Coach.  this was considered the coach center of the world, with Marathon, Winnebago, and others also in business in Junction City or nearby.  Some were trimmed in gold although there were others more "affordable" at $100,000.00.

We lived in our 5th wheels for six years traveling around to various RV parks in the area.  We were still working for five of those years. We went on vacations, but only got to travel long distances for one year.  We loved the lifestyle so much and loved living compact. One night the manager of one of the parks had me walk with her and we became peeping Tom's.  All the lights were on in the big Class A.  It was beautiful.  But, I did like my smaller 5th wheel the best.  In fact, I liked our first 19 foot 5th wheel better than the bigger ones.  Those were happy times.  

• Upvote 1

I have a friend that lives in a fifth wheel, it's so big it has a garage!  They don't put their vehicle in it though, they have their washer and dryer and bicycles in it instead.  Pretty cool though!  It even has a pop out balcony and on the other side a barbecue!

• Upvote 1

Living in Pain appears to be a common thread amongst us.......I'm making a trip to Vancouver tomorrow to pick up a friend. I googled closest Super Store to load up on Ibuprofen, Voltaren, and Topical heat creams......Set up appointments to arrange X rays and possible Cortesone shots......this aging is not for Wimps.......I was walking 7-8 miles a day last year and then left side knee and hip quit......I will rent a cart and carry on with my Golf  

• Upvote 3

I know, it seems like every month presents something new.  I was getting a wheelbarrow full of wood in and my shoulder started killing me!  That's a new one!

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, kayc said:

I have a friend that lives in a fifth wheel, it's so big it has a garage!  They don't put their vehicle in it though, they have their washer and dryer and bicycles in it instead.  Pretty cool though!  It even has a pop out balcony and on the other side a barbecue!

Wow,Kay!It must be wonderful.I don´t need more than that...:D

Janka

8 hours ago, kevin said:

I was walking 7-8 miles a day last year and then left side knee and hip quit......I will rent a cart and carry on with my Golf  

2 years ago I used to walk 3-4 miles a day.  Losing that had a lot of emotional impact.  Same as you, hips and knees.  Hope you find some relief and ace (is that a golf term?) those golf swings!

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, kevin said:

Living in Pain appears to be a common thread amongst us.......I'm making a trip to Vancouver tomorrow to pick up a friend. I googled closest Super Store to load up on Ibuprofen, Voltaren, and Topical heat creams......Set up appointments to arrange X rays and possible Cortesone shots......this aging is not for Wimps.......I was walking 7-8 miles a day last year and then left side knee and hip quit......I will rent a cart and carry on with my Golf  

Kev,

Voltaren adhesive plaster is really great.I tried it twice because of my back and it helped a lot,but just for a few hours to do fall asleep.I can strongly recommend. ;)

Janka

9 hours ago, kayc said:

I know, it seems like every month presents something new.  I was getting a wheelbarrow full of wood in and my shoulder started killing me!  That's a new one!

Oh,so sorry,Kay!

The pain is terrible...shocked.gif

Janka

11 hours ago, kevin said:

Voltaren adhesive plaster contains Iron powder, activated carbon, water, acrylic polymer, sodium salt. Great! :)

Janka

Not for sale in Canada........double checked with Amazon not over here yet......they have the extra strength 2.3% which I luv......I've been up and about all day and  after the first two hours felt not bad.....new brace...who knows

Good luck with it.  Old age ain't for the weak! :)

4 hours ago, Janka said:

Voltaren adhesive plaster

I just looked on Amazon and they do not carry it.  I have not been able to find it in the US.  Does anyone have any links?  I have shoulder pain that I use Ben-Gay but I think I'm too hairy for the product. Lol