Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Sometimes things just don't make sense

Yesterday a friend of mine told me about his ladies cousin. As he knew that I had spread ashes in my airplane twice, he wondered how this could have happened. The cousin had lost her husband and wanted to have his ashes spread over the Columbia River in Oregon. A friend of the woman owned a vintage WWII era training plane and offered to take her to do that.  Last Wednesday the flight crashed into the river killing them both. What makes sense here? Or do we even need to wonder?

I have written some things about fate and I understand that we have different views on that but that's okay. We all have to follow what is right for ourselves and we don't judge each other for our belief's. My dad would sometimes say "Do you want to hear a story sadder than death itself?"  He had a funny way with words and I would think "dad, what could be sadder than death?"

This would have been one of those stories.

• Upvote 1

Stephen, I'm sorry...I did read about it in the paper yesterday.

2 missing after plane goes down in Columbia River

The Associated Press

ASTORIA — A former county commissioner from Washington state is missing after his plane crashed while trying to help a woman scatter the ashes of her deceased husband.

U.S. Coast Guard officials said the search for John McKibbin and a passenger was suspended Thursday afternoon. Crews searched for more than 12 hours on Wednesday and Thursday.

McKibbin was last seen Wednesday afternoon when he and family friend Irene Mustain took off in an antique plane from Pearson Field in Vancouver, Wash., The Columbian newspaper reported.

The U.S. Coast Guard soon got reports of a plane crashing in the Columbia River near Astoria. Deputies found oil in the water Thursday, Clatsop County Sheriff Tom Bergin said.

Bergin confirmed the pilot was McKibbin, a former county commissioner in Clark County.

McKibbin and Mustain were heading to the mouth of the Columbia River to scatter the ashes of the woman’s deceased husband, said George Welsh, a friend of McKibbin. McKibbin was flying a North American AT-6 aircraft, said Welsh. The twoseater aircraft, silver with red on its nose and tail, is frequently displayed at Pearson and has been flown to honor military veterans.

McKibbin, 69, served two terms as a state representative before he was elected to the county commission in 1978

The Register Guard 3/25/16

• Upvote 1