Grief Healing Discussion Groups

What's the point??

I always believed that the point of life is LOVE. I believe everyone is born with a soulmate, the one person you share your life and dreams with. But what happens when you lose your soulmate? Is there really still a point to life when all your dreams and aspirations die with them? At this point I really don't know what the point is....maybe I had it all wrong.... :( 

• Upvote 2

I still believe that we continue to love the person who has passed, so there is still a point to life. Even if that person is not physically here on earth with us.  Death cannot kill love. It sustains us through all of our hardships including death.  It just dosent disappear.  Proof of that is the grief and longing will feel forever once our soulmate is gone.  Love can be given to more than one individual, that is what brings us joy in our lives. Others who love us also prove that point.

• Upvote 8

Sometimes I feel like I have so little love to give to anyone.  Like my supply has been used up and I keep giving what I can to Steve  but nothing comes back anymore.  Not something that can be ordered on Amazon.  I know that is where the the feeling of meaningless is coming from.  The flow has been dammed up without him.  I've noticed often that people caring about me just doesn't do it and that worsens the sadness.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Gwenivere said:

I've noticed often that people caring about me just doesn't do it and that worsens the sadness.

Yesss! I feel so bad about that too. It's not that I don't appreciate the care it's just not from the person I wish it was from....harsh but yea....

• Upvote 2

Gwen you will be surprised at what the heart is capable of doing. You can't feel much love when the heart is broken but as it heals even though scarred it will show you some things.

When we give love as you talk about to Steve the heart gets nothing back and that is going to drain it for certain.  What if the love they have for us still goes on from where they are? I like to think it does for true love never dies and if that is the case, can we not draw a little strength from that and feed our hearts just enough to survive?  Even if we can't see or hear it, it's out there.

• Upvote 8

AB3 - This is where you and I differ.  I've always believed the purpose of life is to experience and learn and that finding my soulmate was the icing on the cake.  There are a great many people in this world who will never experience the breadth and depth of love that you have for your fiancé.  Of course as individuals we are all different and our perception of life is a diverse as the number of people on Earth.  Granted your hopes and dreams have been shattered and as of right now you cannot see a future without the love of your life.  I was the same at one month.  I was the same for a very long time.  I found that I had to live in the moment because the future and the past were far too painful to conceptualize.  For me, I'm just past seventeen months and I still don't know what my new normal will become but I do know that I can now look to the past with gratitude most of the time; occasionally with tears.  I do know that I am beginning to see a future without Deedo directly invovled; although I believe I will carry her in my heart everywhere I go.  

AB3 - In my most humble opinion, the point of living is to experience life as best as we can at that time: the joys, the pains, the beauty, the ugliness, the hopes and dreams, the disappointments, the thrills.  And of course all of those things seem meaningless right now as each one of us struggle through the many intense and consuming pains of grief.

• Upvote 7

Such great thoughts and insights from everyone....this journey has many lessons for us all I suppose.

I am thankful to you all for your shard thoughts and e periences, etc.

AB ...my inout -one lesson I keep coming back to is: I don't know. Let me mind my own biz..and be cautious on judging.

Maybe acknowledging to myself and others tha I am just as clueless about it all as the next person and am doing the best I can...keeps me humble and able to learn..I really don't know...

Living life as best I can, Marie

• Upvote 2

I've come to the conclusion(like most of us), the feeling of Grief  is a direct ratio to the Love we gave.....Question is, as we live or  come to live with this one Grief Journey, are we thinking of starting another Committment Journey, only to know what is in store for us......I for one, have not ruled out the second Journey if it comes my way.......once I get a handle on  this downsizing I'm doing......

• Upvote 3

"And in the end the love you take

is equal to

the love you make"

Lennon/McCartney

• Upvote 5

I still believe that we continue to love the person who has passed, so there is still a point to life. Even if that person is not physically here on earth with us.  Death cannot kill love. It sustains us through all of our hardships including death.  It just dosent disappear.  Proof of that is the grief and longing will feel forever once our soulmate is gone.  Love can be given to more than one individual, that is what brings us joy in our lives. Others who love us also prove that point.

Even though I have lost both Dragon and LC, I am grateful to experience such a deep level of love.  I consider myself very lucky to have loved them both and to have had the experience of them also loving me.  I have pain, hardship, longing, and grief now that they are gone from this world, but I would never change what I feel now for the most precious gift that they have ever given to me...their love, and my love for them.  I would not give that up for anything!

• Upvote 7

2 minutes ago, mik said:

Even though I have lost both Dragon and LC, I am grateful to experience such a deep level of love.  I consider myself very lucky to have loved them both and to have had the experience of them also loving me.  I have pain, hardship, longing, and grief now that they are gone from this world, but I would never change what I feel now for the most precious gift that they have ever given to me...their love, and my love for them.  I would not give that up for anything!

"life and death does not change us, WE change through life and death."

• Upvote 3

On 1/8/2017 at 2:50 AM, AB3 said:

I always believed that the point of life is LOVE. I believe everyone is born with a soulmate, the one person you share your life and dreams with. But what happens when you lose your soulmate? Is there really still a point to life when all your dreams and aspirations die with them? At this point I really don't know what the point is....maybe I had it all wrong.... :( 

Yes, we all found our soul mate and they gave us love like nothing else that came before. But, I'm not sure that the point of life is only love. No doubt love is the best part of life and because we had the best love imaginable, life without our soul mate feels empty and meaningless. 

So, how do we find meaning, happiness, purpose etc. in a world devoid of the intense love we experienced with our beloved? That's what makes this grief journey so difficult and so complex. One thing you need to remember is that life is precious. It's a gift. And the fact is, we know our loved one wouldn't want us to suffer just as we never wanted to see them suffer. They'd only want the best for us.

It's all easier said than done of course. My Tammy has been gone over 22 months and there are still times the pain and the tears are as intense as they were back then. I still find myself having moments where I don't know what I have to live for and I'm scared about what the future holds. 

But ultimately, I am here and I'm living. It's not the life I wanted, no. I wanted to grow old and gray with my sweet Tammy with me forever. I wanted to share more laughs and hugs and kisses with my special valentine. As much as that's what I wanted... sadly, life (death actually) had other plans. 

All you can do is this...

Take life one moment at a time. Carry the love you shared inside you and know with all your heart that your soul mate loved you more than life itself.  

I will always love my Tammy. My forever bride. She will always inspire me and she will help me get through all of life's trials and tribulations. Her zest for life and her love lives on inside me and makes me a better man. 

Mitch

• Upvote 7