Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My body knew today was seven months...I was so down and relived the morning of again and again...in my mind....

My breathing seemed to be harder as it did early in grief...

I had PT today so I had to get up and go this morning. I am thankful as I most likely would not have otherwise...

just scheduled a dumpster to clean out garage,..late hubby tended to hold onto everything...

Trying to move forward, even if it's just an inch of progress...

Cheers? Marie

• Upvote 4

Marie,

I think inches are the best way to move...if we try to take bigger strides it could be our undoing!

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Dr Lenera said:

Marie, it was seven months for me too not long ago. And yep, the body somehow seems to know when it's the 5th of every moment. I usually just get a splitting headache. And my asthma [which is usually very mild] gets bad for a few hours. So I can relate a bit!

Dr. L...I just read several of your posts, including your beginning one on Dec. 22. My sympathies and condolences. I have learned to dislike those two words when they come from those who haven't been thru this process yet. Hopefully they will mean more when they come from a fellow traveler on this journey we are having to take. I was my wife's full time caregiver for her last 5 years, and I witnessed her health decline on a daily basis. In my case, I thought I had myself prepared for the end whenever it would come. But I very quickly found that no matter how much I thought I was prepared, I really wasn't. She spent her last 17 days totally dependent on a ventilator. Finally on New Year's Day last year I had to end her misery and struggling. I guess when we love someone we tend to not want to think about and dwell on the inevitable. Even when they are sickly and we think we are prepared for it. There are some things that you just can't really be prepared for. 

One foot in front of the other...

Darrel

My MIL was my best friend, we were very close.  She was the mom I'd always wanted, and what a sweet dear lady!  I was her caregiver the nearly three years of her life that cancer ravaged her body.  In that time we had anticipatory grief, but NOTHING prepares you for the finality of grief.  When that time comes, it comes crashing in on you how you can never stroke their hair again or talk to them or tell them how much you love them.  They cannot witness the cute things their grandkids say and do, they cannot be a part of your lives again.  And that finality is hard hitting.  Oh, I know she still exists, and I've come to realize that perhaps she sees and hears more than I realize, but you know what I mean, it's not the same as it once was.

At seven months reality has set in, people have gone back to their lives and a segment think you should "be over it" by now.  Ha!  Nothing could be farther from the truth!  We are NEVER "over it", we go on missing them day after day, especially when we've lost our spouse that was our best friend and soulmate.

• Upvote 4

Dates do affect us and the recurrence of the date is crippling in some cases. My younger son Eric died October 28, 1999. I am worthless the whole week around that date, and have been so for 17 years.  December 28 was the day I was told Dana had died.  So now the 28th has become a date to dread every month.

I am fortunate to have two very empathetic sisters, who have always remembered Eric around that time. They have always helped me through. Only my younger Sis had met Dana, though, so they won't have memories to share.

• Upvote 4