Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Facing Grief head on

I want to first start out by saying thank you to all of you who have offered your support and advice to me in some of my most darkest post. I also want to apologize for being on such an emotional roller coaster and complaining so much about how I'm feeling as we all have suffered in many ways from losing our spouse/partner. I've realized that my depression has only been getting worst and that if I don't face this grief head on It will take me out permanently. So I've decided to go for grief counseling to get the help I need. While I was against it at first, I realized this is the only thing that will save me....save me from destroying myself. While I am nervous I am hopeful that this is exactly what I need.

Again thank you all for your support and putting up with me. 

• Upvote 5

You're stronger than you possibly realize. You're gonna make it to the other side and be just fine. We're all pullin' for ya, AB. Good Luck!

One foot in front of the other...

Darrel

Hats off to you.....I think we were nervous when we have to go for help.....The turning point in your Journey ,was when you recognized a councillor/outside agency was available. We all had really dark times...AB3,,best of luck

• Upvote 1

I have never considered your pouring out your pain as complaining, dear AB, and I refuse to accept your apology for doing so. It takes tremendous courage to confront and to share with others the raw reactions to significant loss, as you have done here with us ~ and for that you have my respect and admiration. It is not easy to acknowledge one's need for help, and you have done that, too. So I see you as one very brave lady, and I am very proud of you.   

I know this is hard for you, and I know you are anxious about it ~ but I also know that you will not regret this decision. You will find the very same kind of non-judgmental understanding and support in individual grief counseling that you have found here with us. Working with a qualified grief counselor can help you in so many ways, and you are SO worth it!

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, MartyT said:

I have never considered your pouring out your pain as complaining, dear AB, and I refuse to accept your apology for doing so. It takes tremendous courage to confront and to share with others the raw reactions to significant loss, as you have done here with us ~ and for that you have my respect and admiration. It is not easy to acknowledge one's need for help, and you have done that, too. So I see you as one very brave lady, and I am very proud of you.   

I know this is hard for you, and I know you are anxious about it ~ but I also know that you will not regret this decision. You will find the very same kind of non-judgmental understanding and support in individual grief counseling that you have found here with us. Working with a qualified grief counselor can help you in so many ways, and you are SO worth it!

WHAT SHE SAID!!!

That's because AB my dear, you are not alone.  We do have  a pretty fair idea of your pain, your fears, and your grief.  We are here because we all felt what you are feeling and many of us are still there trying to figure out how to put one foot in front of the other.  It isn't easy when all you can do is hurt.

• Upvote 5

How excellent that you are going for help. It was hard for me to accept that I needed help. Not sure why. Maybe because I think of myself as a strong, independent person. But understanding and recognizing the need for assistance is a sign of strength and understanding. So bravo for you! I hope it works. It did for me. Don't hesitate to ask questions and challenge your counsellor. When I started with my own therapist, it was kind of weird and awkward because I didn't understand the process, or what I needed to do, or what she should do. But I questioned, and challenged, and worked at understanding the process, and now we know now to work together and it's really helpful. So good luck, and don't hesitate to use your own judgment and feelings to get what you need.

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, AB3 said:

I've decided to go for grief counseling to get the help I need.

I'm so glad to hear this!  All counselors are not equal, so make sure it's a professional GRIEF counselor, not just any generic counselor.  If you don't get anything out of it in the first couple of times, make sure to talk to him/her about what you'd hoped to get out of it and if it doesn't improve, don't hesitate to look for another one.  Sometimes it can take two or three to find THE one that's right for you, but it can be oh so worthwhile to do so!

I hope you get THE one on the first try!  Let us know how it goes...

• Upvote 2

Good to hear your positive news.  

There is no need to apologize as we are like a super family here.  We care for each other, we want to help each other, and since we truly know how difficult this journey is we can understand better than most how painful our new lives can be.

There is no shame in asking for help.  It is a courageous person who can recognize that help is needed and then go out and find the right help.  So glad for you ?

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Widowedbysuicide said:

Good to hear your positive news.  

There is no need to apologize as we are like a super family here.  We care for each other, we want to help each other, and since we truly know how difficult this journey is we can understand better than most how painful our new lives can be.

There is no shame in asking for help.  It is a courageous person who can recognize that help is needed and then go out and find the right help.  So glad for you ?

Thank you :)