Grief Healing Discussion Groups

How Do I Cook For One?

Here's my question....before Steve passed since he was retired on permanant disability he took over the shopping and cooking many years ago. Now mind you I do know how to cook, but when I cooked it was for 2 adults and 2 children. Now Melissa works full time days, works about 6 hrs on the weekend at a Chinese Restaurant that she started working at when she was just 15 and now is 22 and goes to Karate 3 to 4 nights a week, which is a necessity as she is going for her black belt. Sometimes she will eat alittle before she goes, most of the time she will either eat when she gets home or eat nothing and crash. I have found myself eating and cooking and buying alot of crap as I hate to go through all the bother just for me. I am so tired when I get home the last thing I want to start doing is cooking for just myself. But now I find I am gaining weight and just not eating healthy. I was hoping for some suggestions for some of you who also now have to eat and cook alone, what do you do?

Love,

Wendy :wub:

Jack was on disability, too, and loved to do the shopping....yeah! But it's been over two years and I feel I've got it down for me. No. 1, I do cook more most of the time because I freeze a meal for my son and bring it up to him once a month and he likes Mom's cooking. But mostly I just buy the meat or whatever, divide it, and freeze what portions I'm not going to cook. On the weekends my daughter does much the same thing, she has two in her family, sometimes three when her daughter is home. She has more time on the weekends so she shops, divides it up, freezes, maybe cooks some things and freezes them and off she goes. It takes a little extra work but it also is money saving because a lot of the time you pay less for buying in bulk...like at Costco. I hope that would be a little bit helpful.

Your friend, Karen :wub:;)

Hi Wendy,

Since John is gone I now only have to cook for myself and two little ones, one who is very picky and does not eat much variety. I have a vacuum sealer and what I do is make large quantities and freeze the left overs for other days. It really comes in handy when you are tired and just do not feel like cooking. You just freeze it in quantities enough for one meal. I hope this helps. :D

Hugs & prayers,

Corinne

P.S.

Did you take your meds? :ninja:

William,

Did you take your meds? :ninja:

I lost weight when George died and then gained it all back plus because I just didn't care about anything. I am now trying to get my health back in order. I commute a long ways and am gone at least 12 hours per day so when I get home I am too tired to care much what I eat, so I can relate to what you're saying. However, I've found if I don't have junk around to eat, I HAVE to eat what's there, so it helps if I keep it healthy. It helps to keep salads made up in the refrigerator to help yourself to, and like Karen said, meat that has been divvied up into small portions that you can quickly cook. Or you can cook something, divide it up and freeze it and then take one out and pop it in the microwave. I do most of my cooking on the weekends and like to eat leftovers during the week so mostly I just have to worry about Thurs. eve. I try to eat lunch out at subway when I go so I can keep it healthy. Weekdays for breakfast I usually have wholegrain toast with natural peanut butter or I eat oatmeal and then have the whole hashbrown and egg thing on weekends. Fruit makes a good snack too! Yogurt is good to keep on hand. When I lose 35 lbs then I'll feel in more of a position to offer advice though! :rolleyes:

Edited by kayc

Thanks you guys, you gave some good pointers ! You know Corrine I forgot that 3 years ago my Dad gave Steve and I one of those Seal a Meals and I believe it is up in the attic someplace. I really need to see if I can find it, that is a great idea..thanks. Marty thanks so much for all the links, they are great ! Kay you crack me up ! When you lose 35 lbs please tell me how you did it cause I need to lose it too ! Thanks for the great pointers, breakfast and lunch are no problems but its the dinners that are killing me. Karen went today and got signed up for Costco, that is something I have been wanting to do.,...thanks for reminding me. Derek when you mentioned stews etc. you reminded me that I have a slow cooker upstairs someplace too. That I wouldn't mind throwing stuff in the night before and then turning it on before I leave for work. Thanks everyone !!!

Love,

Wendy,

Obviously I don't check the posts much, I cook for one, shop for one, clean for one and its no more pleasure to hear My Myrna comment on my great hamburgers. Isn't there some gratification serving the one you love? I miss the rush from it..

Love,

William

Wendy

How about making stuff in a crock pot and they you will have a few days of dinner. i know that they make a small one that maybe good for you. i love mine and since i work evenings i put it all together and then tom and the boys have dinner.

maybe even making sandwich and soup is healthy for you. i know it is hard my mom always said this after having 5 children and then none.

lori

Lori I am going to go home and look for my crock pot, thanks for the suggestion. Steve would have known where it was up in the attic, that was his territory and since I am horribly frightened of spiders it will be a hard task for me but I will try to look. My problem is fast food and not enough greens and fruit. I don't like to dwell on dinner anymore just eat quick and get it over with, mainly because Steve used to spoil me since he was on disability and he would have coffee ready when I came home and we would chit chat over that while opening our mail and usually dinner was still cooking and about ready. Meals were important then now I just want to make them unimportant I guess.

Love,

William,

You brought a tear to my eye, gosh I miss Steve making burgers on the grill and steaks on the grill and what I wouldn't give for some of his wonderful chicken parm right now !!! I got great enjoyment out of telling him how good his food was,because it made him very proud of himself !

Love,