Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Driving To Denmark

My dear friends

please say a prayer for me as I am driving through UK, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Denmark to go to Cliff's niece's wedding. I leave tomorrow night to stay at Cliff's Dad's house as we have an early ferry to catch from the UK to Calais on Friday morning.

(NotCoping ... even though I am going through 6 countries, I think the distance is actually considerably LESS than your drive!)

I haven't driven on the other side of the road before and Cliff should be the one to guide me through it, but I know that he will be watching me, and proud that I am doing it. His Dad and sister will be with me :rolleyes: . We are stopping in Belgium for coffee and cigarettes ... very important because of the ridiculous amount I am smoking :blush: , then having lunch in Holland with Cliff's other sister. I have my satnav that Cliff bought me two years ago and that covers Europe ... I think he's got me ready for this one by encouraging me to drive on motorways here and gently advising (only passed my test 5 years ago when I was 40).

The wedding will be bittersweet for me and for all of us actually, and I hope that I don't turn round too many times looking for him. I really don't want to cry on their big day because I love them so much.

BUT this IS the first time that I have got excited about anything since Cliff died :rolleyes: and it feels good. So, am going from excited, to fear and crying, back to excited again at the moment. But it does feel good to actually be excited about something.

I'll be back on the boards on the 27th May. Till then, take care of yourselves.

xxxxx

Dear Boo:

I am happy to hear that you are taking a big step in your healing. Driving through Europe sounds exciting. I think though you should stop smoking. I know you are nervous, but you will be fine.

Be careful and have a good time on your trip and at the wedding.

Love and God Bless,

Jeanne

Boo, I hope you enjoy your journey...I was in Denmark many years ago and remember it as a very beautiful place with very gracious hosts. Enjoy your time there!

Kay

Good luck, Boo.

It sounds like you'll be in good company. When I went to my nephew's weeding shortly after Bob died I didn't want to cry either. But I did and it didn't put a damper on anything. You'll be just fine no matter what.

Kath

Hi everyone ... am in Holland having a (long) food break and rest (at Cliff's sister's house). So far so good :rolleyes:

We leave tonight at 23h00 to go through Germany to Denmark. 4 countries down, 2 to go :wacko:

The driving has been surprisingly easy, probably because it is mainly freeway style roads.

Cried in the toilets when we stopped to buy cigarettes ... because I saw all the different cocktail making ingredients (different "Bols", Genever, Liquers) that Cliff would have bought to make yummy cocktails when we got back home, but composed myself quickly.

His Dad said the loveliest thing to me today:

"You have driven so well today and Cliff would be so proud of you. Well done." I was busy driving so that stopped me from crying and I just feel so glad that I do have his family as well as my own :rolleyes:

Going to sign off as just about to have dinner (it's 17h00 here).

Hope you are all well,

Boo

xxx

Hi Boo:

After a long drive you always need a food break hahahha!! Be careful when you drive through Germany. They drive like maniatics there. Very fast. That was very nice of your father-in-law to say such nice things. It's great that you have his family to see and comfort you.

I know that when Alex passed his sisters were and still are very close to me and they don't live near me. I live in New York and they live in New Mexico and Texas.

So have a good time and let us know how the rest of the trip goes.

Love and God Bless

Jeanne

thanks my friends ... we arrived in Denmark yesterday and all settled in safe and sound ... yes, you're right - we are very lucky to be close with our husband's families - it gives me comfort. I'm using the shower to bawl in (as I have to let off the pressure once a day) and we are having fun together. It's great to have the company.

Speak to you all when I get back.

xxx

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back! Feeling very proud of myself for driving all the way there and back. I know he is proud of me too :rolleyes:

It was hard to get through the wedding vows and then Esther (Cliff's niece - the Bride) came over to cuddle me and checked I was OK ... which made it even harder, although I love her for it. I had to escape to the toilet during the dinner and hold myself and stroke my own hair to get it together ... then had to run outside because Robbie Williams' Angels (which I used to sing to Cliff) came on and I nearly lost it big style, but wobbled back :blush: .

We had a good week all together and it was hard to say bye to them all and come home, but it was also a relief to get back to my dogs and have a good sobbing session (as cried quietly in the shower every day and it wasn't enough of a pressure outlet!)

I will put some pix on my blog over the next couple of days ... there is a funny one of me dressed as a Viking (at a museum) which I will include ;)

Welcome back, Boo! Good to see all your posts...

I hope this journey gave you some good memories!

Kay

Boo - - I am so happy to see you back and I'm glad you had a good time in Denmark. I know the wedding must have been tough to get through, and then to hear that song!! Please give your dogs an extra pat for me. :rolleyes:

Kathy