Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Bought That Car - Accomplishment As Widow

Offering something positive - I went out and found a car. And bought it! Or rather that insurance company will pay most of it. But I got a good deal. I thought I would feel thrilled by my accomplishment - and I did feel sort of okay about it. Mostly I worried about the added expense of having to buy one at all, but I think this is normal. I went ahead and bought a Ford Focus (like I mentioned I might), 2008 model, at a car dealership. It has a three month guarantee and I talked them into putting on a wagon tow hook for me, though I wasn't able to talk down the price. I really didn't have the energy for that anyway.

So that's one big thing I've done by myself. Now to tackle Christmas, which is far more emotional. My two youngest sons are putting up the Christmas lights and I guess we'll have to go get a tree, even though I'd prefer to just skip the whole thing.

Melina

Good for you Melina, that is a big positive for you. I know my friend is very happy with her Ford Focus, and I think you will be also. She get over 30 MPG. You should be very proud of yourself, and you can tackle the Christmas thing also, I know you will do it.

Mary (Queeniemary) in Arkansas

Well done! At least it will be one more thing that you don't have to dread doing. I find if I put off things, I spend more anxiety worrying about getting them done, instead of just getting it done in the first place. I realize though, that this was a now thing you needed to do, but I'm glad you're pleased with your car. The tree will be beautiful, and since your sons are helping, that too will be better. Nancy

Hi Melina!

Congratulations! I, too, am ready to take the plunge. I'm waiting until February or March for a larger down payment to counter the negative equity on my Taurus. I'm going for the Chevy Impala, 2009 or 2010.. I want the lowest mileage I can get and the price isn't too hard to take. The engine is 3.5 (I like the power) and I need something protected by warranty.

I am so happy for you and know you are relieved. This journey of ours is difficult, so when we make a positive step such as yours, it is indeed an accomplishment.

Take care and happy motoring!

Melina that is great! I am so proud of you! I know that this was very hard on so many levels for you and you did it! Day by Day, Melina. One challenge at a time. I hope having your sons helps ease things for you this season. I am so inspired by your accomplishment. Way to go!

Blessings and Courage, Carol Ann

Congratulations, Melina! I hope you and your car are very happy partners for a long time to come! Did you get a wagon so you can tow your doggies around? I have, on occasion, had my dog in the back seat of my pretty little Civic (on a quilt of course) but a truck really is a lot handier as then I don't have to examine the seats afterwards and get out the upholstery cleaner!