Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Today Is Larry's Birthday, He Died The Day Before His Birthday

Dear Deborah, Larry's death on one day and his birthday at a young age on the next day, is a lot to deal with. Know that I am thinking of you...and sending you a warm hug.

Peace,

Mary

George died five days after his birthday, my MIL twelve days before hers, my FIL just two weeks before his, my grandfather a week before his...it's weird how they go so close to their birthdays. You're right, he was way too young. :(

Thinking of you and Larry today...

Kay

Deborah,

The thing I've realized is that it's never over, it's something we live with.

Dear Deborah,

I hope you have caring things planned for yourself for Thanksgiving and the Holidays.

I think most of us will be around here, so please come visit us at any time. I am installing new kitchen countertops, learning to make mousse, hauling firewood, and today watching it snow. :)

Doug planned his own memorial service, which was held on his birthday and our anniversary. (He could not forget our anniversary because it was on his driver's license!) *<twinkles>* It is just such a great idea for forgetful husbands. :) I will celebrate his birthday and our anniversary every year in several ways, I am sure for the rest of my days here.

I love the photo of Larry and his Dad. What a memory to treasure! I am sorry I am late on getting here, and I hope your day held love and good memories, even if bittersweet. And I hope you had some good chocolate (sorry, could not resist). I am not usually so awful about puns, but I have been reading a lot of Spider Callahan lately, thanks to our Harry who also visits here.

I am glad to see you around the fire. I am glad you are here in our Tribe. I send you warm thoughts and comforting kindness.

Blessings,

*<twinkles>*

fae

fae, thank you for your reply. Last year my family did not celebrate any holidays, I did not see them Thanksgiving or Christmas. My mother is not well and my brother is under tremendous stress himself. My sons were not around, I was alone. I have no plans or even think about holidays anymore, I have no strength or money, can barely make ends meet. The thought of having to prepare a meal and entertain is beyond me right now. I sat here and remembered the laughter and the love. Thats what I have, memories, wonderful ones, but memories just the same.

Dear Deborah,

I am so sorry you do not have family around you, and that things are not going well for you. I hope those times are almost over, and that things will be better in many ways very soon.

Well, in that case, we'd better rally 'round and send some gifts by wifi, some images, art, and poetry your way. You need some pretty gifts to make you smile and feel better. Let me see what we can round up for you.

I want to show some of Kay's beautiful cards here, but I am not sure I am allowed. What say you, our fire Keepers? Maybe Anne can Pinterest them or something if I email some snazzy images to her. I don't want to mess with the good rules. I will find other stuff to show if it is not okay. I am just being lazy, since I have those right here on my desktop.

Are there any wonderful memories you'd like to share with us here, and give us the gift of knowing your wonderful Larry? I have shared so much about Doug that I think people here probably feel they know him by now.

Whatever you want to do—or not do—I am glad that you are here with us and I hope sharing here helps to ease your pain and brings a bit of peace to your heart. I think most of us will be around through the holiday season, so come join us here, around our fire.

*<twinkles>*

fae

Dear ones, if you've not seen it already, you might appreciate Deborah's lovely piece on our Grief Healing Blog, Voices of Experience: The Porcelain Starfish

And while I certainly appreciate the desire to showcase something created by one of our members, I also think we must be very careful not to promote the sale of products on our site, lest that be construed as advertising.

Dear Marty,

Thank you for guiding us to that wonderful piece by Deborah. And yes, I understand on the cards, thank you.

Dear Deborah,

Thank you for writing that beautiful piece about your messages from Larry. I am so delighted to read about his messages to you. It seems that so many of us are held here even when we wish to go by such messages, and for me, it certainly affirms that the love does go on. Thank you.

*<twinkles>*

fae

Thanks, Marty, for bringing Deborah's article about The Porcelain Starfish here on this forum again. I really liked it when I first read it on your blog. And thank you, Deborah, for such a beautiful story. Anne

Deborah,

I know you have struggled financially, even as I have. I am about $400/mo. short of paying my bills...that is, if nothing goes wrong. This month I had two teeth extracted and had to get a new battery for my truck and get my car worked on...those bring my "short" even "shorter". I've found I can make some $ selling on eBay. You wouldn't believe the things people go for! For instance, I had two Foley spatula/turners in a drawer that together sold for $35! Who'd have thought! One was orange and one was almond colored. People go for the vintage stuff. Being this age, sometimes what I think is just old, they think of as vintage. Even clothes in your closet! Shoes. You name it. And it all helps.

I'm sorry you don't have family around to keep you company at the holidays. I spent last Christmas Eve alone. That can be kind of depressing. Even to just make a dessert and take to a friend's to share, so you're not so alone, it can help. I know, nothing's the same. But I'm trying to make the best of it, being as I can't have what I really want, and that is George back. I know you feel the same. Love you!

You are so talented, as pictured by your starfish...you might consider an internet site to sell what you create.

What a beautiful story, Deborah, of the starfish & of your love for each other.

I have seen no overt signs that Ron is watching over me, but as I think about it, perhaps they are more subtle. As a rule, I am not a person of prayer with one exception, being that I have prayed each night for many years for my daughter to overcome this horrible cancer. Recently when she was hospitalized & docs were unable to determine the cause of her bleeding, I prayed to Ron each night to talk to the "fella up there" & ask him to please not take her from us. Still unexplainable, but she did get better & is home recovering a bit. Who is to say that Ron is not watching over her as he always did?

Karen

I don't know much about afterlife, Karen, but it helps me to believe...I have to. I can't bear the though of George's "nonexistence"...it doesn't seem plausible that such a dynamic man could just not exist. They say energy just changes form, so that's how I view it. i know it's not like it was before he died, but I choose to believe he exists and if there's a way for him to watch over me, I know he would be.