Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Dear friends,
I just got off the phone with Jane's sister, Gail. Her dad has been in rehab for a about a week after being diagnosed and hospitalized with the flu. They are taking him back into the hospital tonight. He has developed a high temperature and diarrhea.
Gail is going to call me when they get him settled and she has a clearer idea what is going on, but he is clearly in significant trouble as I write this. Please keep both Gail and Hank in your thoughts tonight.
Peace,
Harry

Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts.

A quick update:

Gail called about 1:15 a.m. Hank has C-Diff, a bacterial infection you sometimes get as the result of a heavy course of antibiotics. They have him on new antibiotics for that, as well as a recurrence of the pneumonia that sent him to the hospital in the first place. He is back at rehab where, apparently, they will be able to keep a closer eye on him. His fever was back to 98.2 by the time all was said and done after being over 102F to begin with.

I told Gail to get some sleep. She sounded about done in. Hopefully, she listened.

I'll keep you posted as I hear more.

As for me, the flu is gone, though the cough and sniffles will persist for a while yet. I'm at least functional, which is more than I could say a week ago. I take the last of my pills today.

Pax et lux,

Harry

I'm so glad Hank is doing a little better. Hopefully they will keep close eye on him. I hope he improves more today. So glad you are feeling better as well. All this must be so draining. Emotions take so much out of us and when we are already not up to par it really takes a toll. Hope you get some rest today too. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Shalady

I'm glad you're better, and hope they get Hank under control as well. You need the rest, not just from flu, but from life!

Harry, I am glad to hear the latest news.

Life does not let up. We must find our own ways to moments of peace and equanimity within life, I think. And I think you are doing well to stay self-aware and to deal with so much, especially through the flu.

*<twinkles>*

fae

Harry, keeping you, Hank and Gail in my thoughts and prayers. My sister has had bouts of C-diff off and on since being in nursing home. It is contagious, so be very careful. She was in quarantine for weeks.

QMary

Harry, I hope you pay close attention to yourself and if you see any sign of anything, get to the doctor!

Harry,

Forgive the lateness of my reply. I'm glad you're feeling better from the flu.

As for Hank, he's in my prayers. Cdiff is horribly awful and very dangerous. Highly contagious as well. My Mary had it, her brother and our sister in law all had it and it was very detrimental. Though when put on something like Flagyl, it does get better. Unfortunately even though it is gone... Once you've had it... It is always "lurking" in you and can recur easily. I'm glad his temp is down and I send my thoughts and healing wishes for the pneumonia as well.

Butch

Dear friends,

Hank is recovering fairly well. He is in rehab for the next week or two. The pneumonia and C-diff are improving and he looks much stronger. None of which solves the underlying issues of the cancer and the kidney issues. We'll take the time we have, but I am completely aware that his time is far more limited than either he or Gail are ready to admit.

I am being very careful and staying very aware of how easy it is to get C-Diff. I've been here before when Dwayne had it. Nasty stuff. I am more worried about Gail getting it since she works more closely with him than I do.

Peace,

Harry

Just today I was thinking of you, Harry, wondering how it was going. You've had a lot on your plate and I'm glad to here Hank is doing better. I do hope and pray neither you nor Gail come down with it, nasty stuff! I assume they have you wear a mask and protective clothing when visiting?

• 2 weeks later...

Dear friends,

Jane's dad continues to improve. The pneumonia is gone and the hacking cough that hangs on for weeks after this flu is vanishing. His rehab is going well--but he just can't shake the C-Diff. Still, he seems far more into the world again. He is reading the newspaper again each day--something he stopped doing last fall. He seems in a better place mentally.

But he is stuck in the rehab facility until he gets rid of the C-Diff. He wants to be home. His daughter Gail wants him to be home. But he is stuck there until he gets a clean bill of health.

I had a quiet and restful birthday. Gail came over for Easter dinner and brought a cake with her. We ate and talked about things other than her Dad's health. She spends four days a week all day at the rehab place--and parts of the other three days. It was a good break for both of us.

Peace,

Harry

Such good news about Hank, dear Harry ~ thank you for the update. This schedule must be terribly hard on Gail, and what a good and devoted daughter she must be. I think Hank must have been a terrific father to have raised such remarkable women.

Did we miss your birthday?! I see now that it was this past Easter Sunday, April 5. Forgive us, and let us now wish you a belated but most sincere

happy-birthday-4.png

Harry,

I am glad you and Gail had time for a visit and a respite from being a constant companion. No matter how much we love out Fathers, the day-to-day care and care-taking can wear us down.

I am happy for you both.

And Happy Birthday!!!

*<twinkles>*

fae

Harry,

I hope you are STILL enjoying your birthday AND cake! :P I'm glad to hear your FIL is doing better and hope he soon gets to come home where he belongs and wants to be. No more health issues!

Harry, so glad your father in law is doing better. That c-diff is very hard to get rid of, hopefully they will manage to get rid of it and he can go home very soon. Happy Belated Birthday.

QMary