Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Share A Happy Memory

It has been wonderful to have this place to come and share about my deep, overwhelming loss. But after talking to a few of the members one on one and hearing the fun, loving memories they have of their spouses I thought it might be nice to start a thread where we can share good memories as they pop up.

Daniel had a voice activated app on his phone similar to Siri called Cortana . One day when we sitting around and he picked up his phone and grinned at me and activated it. He said, " Cortana, remind me to tell my wife how much I love her at noon each day." After that I would randomly get a text message from him at noon saying things like

more than cowboys love saddles

more than chunky monkey ice cream

more than the number of people Chuck Norris has punched

more than there are stars in the sky

Oh thank you for asking.....

I got served coffee in bed every morning of my life with him..........

It's hard to even know where to start, I have nothing but happy memories with him. We were always together when we weren't working. He would get home from his long commute at 7 pm and we'd head to a nearby Bible Study, getting there later than everyone else. One night we arrived and there were only two seats left, each across the room from each other. George made everyone scoot over so we could sit together. I remember Dan saying, "George, can't you just live without your wife for one hour?" George looked at him incredulously and said, "I've been without her all day while I was at work, why would I want to be without her now!!" :D That's just how it was with us, always holding hands.

The day before Mark died, we had our staff luncheon. I had been working for weeks to get the decorations together. The night before set up, I was still working on getting the decorated vases done. He came into the dining room and worked with me, doing everything the way I wanted. The next evening, he came with me to help put decorations on the wall (the night of his birthday). After the luncheon was over, someone from the front desk came in to get me while we were taking down all the tables and decorations...she said my husband was on the phone and wanted to know how it all went. I couldn't wait to get to my desk to call him and share it all. When he picked me up that day, he was just beaming because the people at the desk were raving about everything we did. He was my biggest supporter. So many times he told me how content he was with our life. Like George, he was always eager to get home to be with me, wherever that would be. And it was the same for me. When he would call to say he was on his way to get me...even after 5 years of marriage, my heart skipped a beat.

We were on Royal Carribean's cruise ship the Allure and there was "street" vendor as we were leaving Central Park selling flowers. Ric stopped and bought two flowers, one for my stepmother and one for me. It was the most beautiful flower. After the cruise we drove from Fort Lauderdale to KeyWest. The next morning I was up and he was still in bed and he says "do you want to get married this morning?" I say "YES". He had been researching how we could get married in Key West. So we rode bikes (in our bathing suits) to the courthouse, filled out the paperwork and got married in a storage room. It was wonderful ...

I love these stories! Thanks for starting this thread!

We were on a Napa-area tour, tasting wines, driving the Honda and going at our own pace.

We pulled in to this little town, where almost everything was closed, as it was off-season. All the shops were closed, with signs on the doors promising to re-open in Spring.

We found a small grocer's open, and the clerk of the store made a special olive tapenade and cheese panini for us, and we opened a bottle of wine we had found, sat out at a table by the little stream behind the grocer's, and delighted in this mini-vacation away from anyone and everyone. We had, by pure serendipity, found our way to Glen Ellen. The town was quite closed down, and we were fortunate to find food. It was such a delightful afternoon, to sit out by the stream, no one bothering us, the only voice the water singing, and the vineyards above us on the hillside. We held hands after we finished the panini and pickles, and sipped our wine, and smiled—no, beamed—at each other. Doug said it was better than France. I think he was right. A wonderful time of laughter, fun, and exploring.

A very good memory. :wub:

I am very happy Dew's Girl had the brilliant thought and started this thread. :D Thank you.

*<twinkles>*
fae

On our first trip together, I took Kathy on my boat off Point Loma. I remember her face. I remember kissing her. I remember her leaning against me as we sailed along. It was so quite and peaceful, just the water lapping at the hull, almost as if you could just stop time and live forever in that moment. I hadn't thought about that for a long time till I saw this thread. All of your memories are so delightful to read and it's so good to remember the happy. Great thread Dew's Girl.

I had to make a trip back home, and I was in the Atlanta airport. I had not put any lipstick in my purse, and the airport was so dry and my lips were so chapped. So I went into one of those news stands to get a Chapstick. Well, needless to say, it was pricey, as is everything in the airport shops. When I got home, I said to Mark, "This is the World's Most Expensive Chapstick". Well, I didn't really pay attention to where that chapstick went, but for my birthday, Mark had went and got a little plaque engraved "World's Most Expensive Chapstick" and mounted it and the chapstick onto a velvet covered piece of wood and then had it put into a shadow box painted gold. I have that "award" hanging by my desk at work, and love sharing that story with anyone who asks about it. That was Mark's sense of humor, and also his sentimentality. It is those things that I miss so much.

I love it, these are precious memories.

Just finished writing a wonderful memory about my first 4th of July celebration with Daniel for my blog. These memories are so precious, but also a bit hard too. It reminds me all over again what I've lost.

A couple more small memories that I thought I'd share:

-Whenever I told Daniel "I love you so much" he would always respond with "I love you la much." Being a band geek, he was just expressing how much he loved me with the music scales.... do re mi fa so la ti do.

-One time I was texting Daniel and mistyped I love you with I live you. Daniel thought that was so appropriate since we were each other's lives. So he would often send me a text saying I live you after that.