Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Have You Felt Your Parents Spirit?

I just wanted to share this with all of you. I lost my mom suddenly in January and I haven't stopped feeling her prescence since. She was such a wonderful loving person and mother. She was kind to everyone and everyone loved her dearly.

Last night my wife and my 4 year old fell asleep in my sons bed. Sometimes its best if she stays with him till he falls asleep, and then she comes to bed herself but last night she fell asleep also.

At 1:30am this morning I woke up in our bed and I was teeth chattering cold, I mean I coudn't find a stitch of warmth. I had a sheet, a quilt and a wool blanket on me and I was just freezing to the point where it woke me. My first thought was that I hope I'm not getting sick. Within a few moment my wife walked in with my son, I thought she was cold too so I asked he if she needed any blankets or if she wanted to keep him in here with us. She told me that she woke up because Colin was at the end of the bed talking. She said I asked him what he was doing and he said he was talking to the shadow over there. (He pointed to the corner) She jumped up and said what shadow Colin, and he said over there. He said don't be scared mommy its our friend so happily. He said they were laughing together and he was having fun.

Can anyone else relate to this?

Thanks for reading.

Much love to all,

Sean....................

Guest Guest_Jen_*

Wow.....all I can say is that's really interesting. So the shadow that your son was talking to, wasn't your mother's? So.....who do you think it was? Has it happened again? I've heard some people say that they've seen shadows of their loved ones or even felt their presence. When my father passed away, I think I felt his presence. Was even convinced that he hit some blinds in the room trying to get our attention. I believed this for many years, but then when my mother passed away just recently, there were no signs at all. This made me doubt everything I felt with my father. Really confusing me. So I don't know what to think. But that's interesting...

Hello,

My mom passed two years ago this March 2. About 2 mionths after her passing I received something in the mail from a mail order source. I received what I ordered alog with a crystal heart with her families name engraved on it. The most interesting part of it is that the company that I ordered from doesn't carry that particular item, and had no explanation. My mother used to tell me that her heart would always be with me....I took it as a gentle and tangible reminder....

I too lost my Mother in January and I feel her presence every day. I went to what is left of our old Church and took my Mom's prayer card from her memorial service with me. I felt her presence. I hate to cling to her and bother her during her eternal rest, but I am so filled with pain, grief, and self-pity that I can't help but to turn to her. I turned to her for 44 years, and it doesn't simply stop because my Mom is gone. I took care of her for two years before she died, so we were close. Mom, you deserved so much beter in life. I love you.

Yes, me too, I feel my mom's presence in the middle of the night sometimes, but mostly in the mornings when I wake up. There's been a few times when I didn't want to go to work so I'd just lay. I'd then feel her presence behind me and stuff. It's so comforting. I usually then get up and go to work. I tell you that if it wasn't for her presence, I would never get out of bed. I miss her so much. I've had so many dreams about her, it's felt so good, like she's still there. I miss her so much.

I lost my mother thirty-five years ago, she was my best friend. My granddaughter was visiting me, she was five years old and late one night after being put to bed and sleeping for awhile she came out into the living room, I asked her what she needed, she told be she saw Grama Bertha in the window, smiling at her, this shook me up because my granddaughter hadn't even been born at the time of my mothers death,and Jamie did not know her name. I quized my granddaughter about her and she described her to a tee. She said that Grama Bertha said she loved us and that she would be watching over her...I knew it was my mother; she had been a foster mother and truly loved children. I told my granddaughter that her Great Grandmother loved her and would be her angel throughout her life, while this was spine tingly I knew that children are much more at ease with accepting things we adults sometimes don't understand. The granddaughter went back to bed all happy that she had her own guardian angel, too this day (she is now 14) she talks about Grama Bertha and her visit to her on that very special night years ago. The blessing is that my mother is with us always.

... a crystal heart with her families name engraved on it. The most interesting part of it is that the company that I ordered from doesn't carry that particular item, and had no explanation. My mother used to tell me that her heart would always be with me....I took it as a gentle and tangible reminder....

Dear donnab,

All I can say is......WOW!!! Now that's the kind of reminder that speaks volumes!!! One might have been able to put it off to someone else in your circle who sneakily added it to your order, except for the fact that, as you said, they didn't even carry that item in their stock!....wow....thanks for sharing that wonderful, wonderful part of your story. :)

Wow, I enjoy hearing your stories. It gives me hope that our parents are still with us. I miss my mom so much. I can feel her spirit all the time. I just feel bad that we have to be apart for now. I took care of her when she was here. It's just so hard to think that's she all alone somewhere by herself and I can't do anything. She appears happy in my dreams, but even though, I still miss her and wish she'd come back. I feel so sad.

Ya, I've heard that kids can see spirits. I'd be really happy if and when I had kids, that my mother watched over them. I miss her dearly. Both my parents, my mom and dad.

• 2 weeks later...

My dad died on January 1, 2003. His death was very sudden and unexpected. I still struggle with tremendous grief over him. While I have never experienced exactly what you are describing, I do feel that my dad visits me from time to time in my dreams. I believe this to be him because these are not your ordinary dreams. They are real. Vivid in nature to the point where I can almost touch him. Our conversations are very detail oriented and it usually focuses on a difficult time I am experiencing or even personal achievements. Most people probably think I am crazy but my wife, my mother-in-Law and my brother all believe that this is my dad visiting me. It's wonderful.

Guest Guest_Shubom_*

I definitely believe it's your father visiting you. I've had a few of those vivid like dreams. I'm very logical and skeptical, so I constantly try to distinguish one type of dream from another. I've had real vivid dreams where I've touched my mother or some object related to her and have woke up in that position. I've also had dreams centered around my child hood home. My mother is there and she is very happy telling me how she can move around without her body. It made me sad. :( I miss her so much. One night my aunt told me I was playing paddycake in the air while I was sleeping. I can't remember what I was dreaming about, but it had to be my mom trying to contact me. The funny thing is, my sibling and I both started dreaming about my mother at the same time, about 2 weeks after she passed. My dad passed away 6 years ago of a heart attack at 47. we all had dreams about him that night for a whole week. But when my mother passed, I didn't dream about her that day, nor the next, and it nearly killed me. I started doubting the dreams I had about my father. But then, 2 weeks later, the dreams started. My mom died in her sleep at 56, of unknown causes. So in my mind, I figured she didn't know she died. Maybe she finally realized it. I dont' know. Just sad :( The only thing I really want to know, is if my mom and dad are reunited. I haven't dreamt about it. My mom became really depressed after dad died. I just hope that she found him. I miss both my parents. I'm so sad :(

I have yet to actually feel my dad's presence, and it has been really bothering me. I want to feel it, and to feel that reassurance that he is ok.

The night after my dad died, my brother's first night here, he felt someone pushing up against his feet, a number of times, in about a 15 minute period of time. He later learned that the foot to foot pushing game was one of dad's favorites to play with our aunt, when they were little. One of my other brothers has said that he "talked" with our dad, the night of his death, after I had called and given him the bad news. He's not said anything besides that, so I don't know what it all involves.

Other than that, there has been a lot of other kinds of activity. The watch that he was wearing at the time of his death has changed, and corrected itself, many times, with no explination, and in the last 3 days I've experienced things being thrown (not at me, something across the room from me, more as an attention getter), and my brother has had something thrown in his presense, while cleaning up my dad's office.

I think the most profound sign that he's around is the fact that my youngest son, who is mentally retarded finally started walking in my parents' front yard, 2 days after his death, and has continued to do so, since. He has been walking everywhere else, for months now, but at my parents' house, he always reverted back to scooting, especially outside. We had been wracking our brains trying to figure out a way to encourage him to walk, over there, and now he is. I think he has a coach/cheering section, out there with him who truly knows how to communicate with him, on a level that he understands, now.

I do have a personal experience, that you might be interested in hearing, that happened to me 1 month after my oldest brother committed suicide (he was 18, and I was only 5) in 1975.

My brother spent a lot of time in the den (now my dad's office). He loved Elton John, and spent hours in there playing the piano, reading, writing, etc. It was his refuge. A couple of days after Christmas, the year he died (he committed suicide on Thanksgiving night), I was in the den, playing around, as I often did. At one point I had one of my hands on the top of the piano stool, and the other on the bottom of it, and all of a sudden I felt this large hand slide over my hand that was under the stool, and press down, firmly, as if to comfort me.

It didn't last very long, and immediately after it happened, I went into the living room and told my mom, and my brother, who were both sitting in there. My mom didn't say much, just kind of let it go (she was very against that acknowleding that type of phenomenon at that time), and my brother really didn't say anything either. I was kind of like, "oh well", and I turned around, and went back into the den, without a fear in the world, and started playing again. My brother and I have since talked about that experience, many times. Although he didn't say anything, at the time, he remembered it vividly, and cherishes it, almost as much as I do.

That same brother, and I, both, seem to be very finely tuned into the "6th sense", and have both felt presences, and such, all of our lives (he even lived in a haunted house for a number of years. The ghost was a wonderful, yet particular woman, and she did not like my brother's then wife, from what I understand, and she'd let it be known quite often). We've had experiences together, and many apart, that we've talked about. I guess this is the main reason why it bothers me so much that I cannot feel dad's presence, not physically, but I can't even sense it, he just throws things to get my attention.

I'd much rather feel him with me than have him throwing things, but I'll take what I can get, and hopefully with time, we will reconnect.

My grandmother died in our family home about 3 weeks ago. Since then, a number of strange occurrences have happened. I lived upstairs with her in a duplex, while my parents reside in the downstairs flat.

Anyways, since her death, I have been living downstairs in a spare bedroom. About a week after her death, the door to the bedroom i am sleeping in started shaking. It was shut tight, not locked or anything, but shut completely in the door jamb. It happened for about a minute or so, then I opened the door to see what was going on. My parents were sleeping, and we have no pets or children in the house. It happened the day after too, but not since then.

Also, my parents had a doorbell installed that you can only ring from the back porch, so that me or grammie could ring if we were coming down, to let my parents know. The thing is, is that the porch is enclosed and locked. No one from outside can get in unless you have the housekeys. Well, this doorbell rings on its own! At least once a week, it has gone off, sometimes more. I had my boyfriend come over to rewire it or whatever you do to those things, and he said it seems to be fine.

I really didn't know what to beleive until I found this thread. Wow.

Guest Guest_Shubom_*

I think it's really interesting people are feeling their loved one's presence. I first started feeling my mom's presence 2 weeks after she passed. It took a long time, and I was so sad. Especially since I felt my father's presence the same day he died. My father died in a hospital and probably realized he was gone, while my mother passed at home in her sleep. Probably took her a while to figure it out. Whatever it is, I'm so sad and miss them both. It's been about 2 months since my mom passed away, and I haven't felt her presence in the last week or so. This makes me sad. I still have dreams about her, but I never see her in my dreams, they're mostly dreams of me trying to do something for her. Like I see her favorite food, and I try to fix her a plate. Or I want to take her to the hospital because I know something is wrong. But I usually wake up before I see her. I haven't had experiences with things moving or anything. I do remember feeling the bed shake several times in the mornings, when I didn't want to get up for work. This happened about 2 weeks after she died. My mom always believed in hardworking and keeping a job. When she was here, sometimes I'd call in sick for work just because. LOL and she'd give me that funny look. She was a really funny person. If I hadn't felt the bed shaking, I would have just laid there and died. My mother just died, life sucks, and screw work was my attitude !

My Dad passed away on my b-day 7/14/1995 I have felt his being several times, and every time I see a falling star I tell him Thank you I love you....when my Mom was dying I felt my father real strong, I also saw flashes of light....and my dad's bird started going nuts, screaming an exciting scream that he has not done in years and years, I am so sure that daddy's bird saw dad.

Guest Guest_Shubom_*

After my mom died, about a month later, I started feeling my dad's spirit around, but mostly in my dreams. I would be screaming about my mom's death in my dreams, and I would feel my dad's spirit, just watching me in the background. He wouldn't say anything. There were other dreams where my dad appeared and we carried on normally as a family. However my mom was nowhere to be found. It was as if my mom died first before my dad. I don't know what the dreams are about, but it's comforting knowing one of them is around when the other is not.

I lost my Mom to Cancer on Feb 23rd - just a few weeks ago. There are times that I just can't stand it another minute! She was my best friend - my buddy - my therapist my dear dear Mom. It hurts so bad that you think you'll die. I have not felt her - and wonder too - what its all about. People say - she's the wind - shes the stars ....I hate that. I just want to have more than the memories. I hope I am lucky enough to have an experience as many of you have had. I loved my Mom so much and miss her!! :(

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jamie

I feel my grandmother's presence very often. Most recently, I was having touble with horrible headaches, to the point I went in for an MRI. Just before the tests when I was feeling the worst, I smelled her perfume as I went to sleep. Odd as it may sound, I woke up feeling much better. We also see strange occurances when we are upset/stressed/depressed and near the anniversary and her birthday. At those times, lightbulbs blow. In January, the week prior to the anniversary, I had 1 bulb blow a day. Very odd. But yes, I feel her with my constantly. I felt her watching over me on my wedding day, I've felt her with me when I've managed to avoid terrible car accidents. I know that she is there with me every day.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I've had dream "visits" too so I thought I'd share. My first one was of my father who died of lung cancer in 1995. It was not detailed. It was just the two of us facing each other in what seemed like mist or fog. We did not speak with our mouths. We just transmitted thoughts and emotions telepathically. I was overjoyed to be in his presence again. I was aware that he had died in the physical world. He enveloped me with his love. I could actually feel it. I was so happy to be there with him until I realized I couldn't stay. I started crying because I never wanted to leave but I felt him communicate firmly and sadly that I could not stay. I woke up crying and saying out loud, "I don't want to go back!" If I had truly been given a choice I don't think I would have come back. My second visit was on Father's Day last year. My husband's mother, Lois had died April 10th, 2005 and we both adored her so her loss was very hard on both of us. I saw her and I got the impression (no specifics...just impressions mostly) that she was dressed elegantly. She seemed very happy and serene. There was also an adorable little blonde boy who was about 3. He looked more solid.He was dressed up in a little suit. He was twirling around happily like little kids do. I smiled at his antics and he came over to me, looked up at me with a sweet smile and said, "I want ice cream.". He ran around a little more then looked at Lois and said the same thing to her. This time I laughed and said, "I guess he really wants some ice cream!" I looked at Lois and thought that I really wanted to hug her. Like I had with my Dad in the previous visit, I felt her love and affection surround me like a warm hug but a thousand times better. I realized that I could send my feelings to her in the same way so I did. It was perfect communication uncomplicated by words or defenses. I woke my husband to tell him of the experience. When I told him about the little boy who wanted ice cream so badly he sat up and said, "That was Richard". I knew of course that he had lost his little brother to drowning when the little guy was three years old. I have seen only three pictures of him older than an infant. He was the third child so there weren't many pictures taken of him. My daughter looked eerily very much like her Uncle Richard at the same age. I've always been very touched by what happened to him. I never knew much about him though. When my husband heard about the little guy's plea for ice cream he told me that was a strong personal validation for him. Apparently Richard used to often ask his big brother for ice cream. Since Tom (my husband} was older he used to open the freezer and hand his little brother a half gallon of ice cream and a spoon. I honestly believe that this was an actual visit from Lois and her beautiful little boy. I would love to have more. Even more than that I hope with all my heart that my mother will visit my daughter in some form or another so that they can remain as close as they always were. Thanks to all who shared their stories.

Hugs,

Ell

• 2 months later...

Hi, I am new to this site, but after exploring it I have found it to be very interesting and helpful. Most of all, it proves to me that I am definitely not alone.

This topic really interested me. My Mom passed away on Feb. 7, 2006. She was only 55. I had moved in with her back in December to help her as she wasn't doing well. I am still living in the house, and a week 1/2 after she passed, 10 light bulbs in the house went out. Since then, (it has been just about 6 months) at least 20 light bulbs have gone out. I have really lost count at this point. I think electricity is a level in which they can possibly contact us. I feel she is doing well, and appreciate the comforting "visits". I don't mind changing light bulbs...I spoke into the air at her and said, just don't start bursting pipes or anything because that is something I do NOT know how to fix!

I haven't had anything like that happen for a month or so...I hope she comes around again. I miss her.

Hi All,

It is so nice to have so many of you feel your loved ones spirit, I lost my mom in April of 2005 and My dad in August of 2005. I was so upset one night I just wanted to get one of my mom's famous hugs but I knew that it was impossible and when I looked at the clock it was 2am and I could not go back to sleep because I really needed to find something that would help me miss my mom not so much. As I lay in my bed I looked out my door and there was my mom's favorite comfy chair. So I got out of be and went and sat in this chair. After about two or three minutes I felt really warm like someone was giving me a nice big hug. I do not care what people say I do believe that God knew I needed this hug and He allowed my mom to give me it. It lasted for a good five minutes and than it was gone but I was able to drift off to sleep and I knew my mom loved me. Take care All and God knows what you need trust me Shelley

• 1 month later...

I lost my Mother last October and I'm still waiting for her to come to me in my dreams. I hope she does, I miss her beyond words.

Dear Donnadot,

I lost my Dad in June and I'm still waiting to see him in my dreams as well. This is upsetting to me, because we were so close. I desperately want his reassurance that he's still with me and watching over me.

Leann