Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Song Inspired Mini Breakdown

Was at work today.......usually, work is my refuge.....I can do my tasks like a automaton......I can keep my feelings at bay. We have "piped in" music over the intercoms all throughout the store.  Today........the Peter/Paul/Mary old time song "Puff The Magic Dragon": song played..........I lost it, had to go to the ladie's room to have a quiet cry.  This part of the lyrics got to me........putting myself in Puff's place....maybe I'm losing my marbles?      

One sad night it happened, Jackie Paper came no more
And Puff that mighty dragon, he ceased his fearless roar.

His head was bent in sorrow, green scales fell like rain,
Puff no longer went to play along the cherry lane.
Without his life-long friend, puff could not be brave,
So puff that mighty dragon sadly slipped into his cave

• Upvote 3

Would have probably made me do the same thing.  Even in our places of refuge, there is a trigger waiting.  Emotions are always on high alert, as much as we think we have them contained.  I can feel mine percolating under the surface.

• Upvote 4

Music is such a powerful medium.  Nothing can reduce me to tears as quickly as a song that hits home. Conversely little can bring me joy and peace as the associations of certain songs. I listen to it all day long, every day but can skip forward through those songs that bring me tears unless of course I want a good cry. 

Same here, Joyce.  With the TV on more than ever for background, I have to mute it now and then.  Commercials often use songs that remind me of times way back when.  We really are fragile things right now. 

• Upvote 3

So true Gwen.  I do the same thing, either mute it or have to change the channel because something is just to heart wrenching to watch.  I always was kind of a sentimental person anyway, but now it is really bad and hard to handle sometimes.

Joyce

• Upvote 3

I'll put in a show just as filler and I can't count how many time cancer (my trigger) comes up.  I'm like....really?  And all those gawd awful ads for medical conditions.  And the narration is always so light and flowery as they talk about debilitating side effects while showing happy happy people.  If I could take the silence I would.  Right now this is a lose/lose.  Have to work on that.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, WolfsKat said:

Was at work today.......usually, work is my refuge.....I can do my tasks like a automaton......I can keep my feelings at bay. We have "piped in" music over the intercoms all throughout the store.  Today........the Peter/Paul/Mary old time song "Puff The Magic Dragon": song played..........I lost it, had to go to the ladie's room to have a quiet cry.  This part of the lyrics got to me........putting myself in Puff's place....maybe I'm losing my marbles?      

One sad night it happened, Jackie Paper came no more
And Puff that mighty dragon, he ceased his fearless roar.

His head was bent in sorrow, green scales fell like rain,
Puff no longer went to play along the cherry lane.
Without his life-long friend, puff could not be brave,
So puff that mighty dragon sadly slipped into his cave

You are not losing your marbles.  That made me cry just reading it right now.  Those are such sad lyrics.....John and I watched an Ed Sheeran concert on TV a few weeks before he died and every time I hear any of his songs, I'm crying and feeling so much loss and pain...

• Upvote 4

Music was a very big part of George and my relationship.  We had so many "our songs"!  It's still extremely hard for me to hear them.  I rarely get out our wedding CD my son made for us, it was filled with our songs.  Music is a very strong connection to the heart chords.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

I'll put in a show just as filler and I can't count how many time cancer (my trigger) comes up.  I'm like....really?  

Last two days I streamed two comedies. First one the main character's mother is dying of lung cancer the second one the two main characters ( siblings) lost their mom the year before to cancer. What happened to comedies that were intended to make you laugh?

All of these Diabetes commercial trigger me.  I also noticed that when I watch a movie or program there seems to be a love/death theme.  I never noticed them before my wife died like I do now.  :(  Shalom

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Brad said:

Last two days I streamed two comedies. First one the main character's mother is dying of lung cancer the second one the two main characters ( siblings) lost their mom the year before to cancer. What happened to comedies that were intended to make you laugh?

I agree....it seems all I hear about anymore is cancer; can't get away from it.  I hate to admit this, but when the character has a positive outcome, that hurts and I'm jealous that didn't happen for us....

• Upvote 1

Yesterday on my way home from the Valley I ran into a friend who had been down there for her six month checkup for breast cancer.  Results were good and I really am very happy for her but yes Janice, I am so jealous that we never got that in seventeen months.  Every checkup for us was just more bad news.

On April 1, 2016 at 10:38 AM, Brad said:

Yesterday on my way home from the Valley I ran into a friend who had been down there for her six month checkup for breast cancer.  Results were good and I really am very happy for her but yes Janice, I am so jealous that we never got that in seventeen months.  Every checkup for us was just more bad news.

Exactly what we went through.  Doctor visit after doctor visit got more and more grim.  Then we would meet people who had survived throat cancer, one guy 11 years cancer free, and then there was Michael Douglas who had stage IV (John had stage II in the beginning) and look how well he's doing.  I also am truly happy for those who survive, but the pain of why he didn't is hard to bear.  I'm so sorry for all of us who have to bear this.  I tell myself sometimes that maybe there is some hidden reason for it all.  I would love to believe that....

• Upvote 3

My XH had throat cancer, he was told he could relapse in a couple of years, or four, and no one made it past ten years, so to hear someone had 11 years is amazing.

I wish there was an answer "why" but I've never run across one and quit asking for one.  It seemed it just made it harder on myself to ask.  The resounding non-answer was deafening.

• Upvote 3