Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Falling

See the other thread where I posted after googling...no alcohol!

I was really thinking about it last night because my back hurt so much, but I got through it and today it's better. I asked a friend who happens to be a psychiatrist and she recommended against it. Today I was talking to her on the phone and she said, "I didn't know you were a drinker". I said, "No, I hardly ever drink-that's why I buy wine in a box-because it lasts longer if you forget to drink it!" She told me it was not a good strategy for muscle pain...epsom salts would be better. Or, just going to bed...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kayc said:

See the other thread where I posted after googling...no alcohol!

I just now saw this, but have not had any alcohol...

1 hour ago, Clematis said:

I was really thinking about it last night because my back hurt so much, but I got through it and today it's better. I asked a friend who happens to be a psychiatrist and she recommended against it. Today I was talking to her on the phone and she said, "I didn't know you were a drinker". I said, "No, I hardly ever drink-that's why I buy wine in a box-because it lasts longer if you forget to drink it!" She told me it was not a good strategy for muscle pain...epsom salts would be better. Or, just going to bed...

Laura,

After you go to the chiropractor, your back and muscles will be sore because they now have to get used to being re-aligned in the normal place.  I would suggest  a bath with Epson salt (2-3) cups and soak in a hot bath for 30-45 minutes. If permitted, a half a glass of wine (4oz) helps me to relax and take away the pain temporarily.  If no wine then take Ibuprofen.   Lavender essential oil is also good to put in the bath 3-4 drops.  Shalom - George 

• Upvote 2

Thank you, George! I have NEVER been so sore after seeing a chiropractor! I was amazed. It is much much better today! Maybe it was my back was such a mess and it had really settled into the wrong shape since I had to wait until three weeks after the accident.I thought about the Epsom salts, but went to bed instead. I have been told that I can have a little Valium, which is a good muscle relaxant. The chiro told me to take Ibuprofen three times a day before going to Hawaii and until I get back to keep the swelling down so I don't have problems with the long flights. He also told me to drink a lot of water and to bring a bunch of Ziplock baggies so that I could ask for ice and ice it during the flight.

• Upvote 1

I don't know if seeing a chiropractor has the same effect as a massage therapist, but when you get a massage it's essential to drink lots of water right away because it releases toxins, you do not want to skip that step!

• Upvote 2

Huh. I think he did tell me that...but no, I didn't do it. I just went home and started thinking about the box of wine on the counter, the tequila under the sink. Somehow I had the idea that it wasn't the thing to do, but my little mind was all over it.

• Upvote 2

I have been a total wasteland today and unable to do hardly anything. I thought I was going to get some work done on the estate stuff, as well as packing but I’ve been able to do hardly anything. I can’t even think well enough to make a list of what I should pack. I walked from my dad’s condo to mine and back (about ¼ mile each way), and had to lie down afterwards. This is really bizarre for me (in my usual condition-like before the accident); I have a tendency to just go go go all day without getting tired. The only thing I can think is that I was in a lot of pain after seeing the chiropractor yesterday, and I think he moved some things around that touched on the nerves that were impacted in the accident. I can’t imagine why else I would be so exhausted, but from seeing the chiro because nothing else has happened.

I imagine I will probably feel better tomorrow, but I am to see the chiro again on Tuesday and I fly on Wednesday. I don't want to skip the appointment on Tuesday, but I can’t imagine standing in line forever, schlepping my stuff through the airport and all that if I feel like this on Wednesday. I was thinking about calling the airlines, telling them that I am having problems subsequent to a car accident and arranging to have them get me a wheelchair or take me on one of those carts that they zoom around the airport on. I did this for my dad when traveling, and for myself when I had foot surgery and then ended up traveling to my mother’s funeral a few days later with a big white surgery boot and directions not to walk or stand much.

My friend Bonita that I am flying with told me she thought this was an excellent idea, and encouraged me to call the airlines and arrange it. I asked her if she thought maybe I should hang a sign around my neck explaining that I had had a head injury and not scamming for an easy ride, since no one would know from looking at me that anything was wrong. She laughed and said no, that I didn’t owe anybody any explanations. I still think it’s kind of embarrassing, even if it’s probably better than risking a collapse in the airport. 

Laura, my dear, trust me ~ you're not the first person whose injuries are invisible and who still may need a wheelchair. (I have two artificial hips and an artificial knee, along with a titanium implant in my spine. No one can "see" any of this, but I always ask for a wheelchair when I'm in an airport ~ and no one's ever questioned my need for it.) So go ahead and request it. It's the smart thing to do.

• Upvote 4

54 minutes ago, MartyT said:

Laura, my dear, trust me ~ you're not the first person whose injuries are invisible and who still may need a wheelchair. (I have two artificial hips and an artificial knee, along with a titanium implant in my spine. No one can "see" any of this, but I always ask for a wheelchair when I'm in an airport ~ and no one's ever questioned my need for it.) So go ahead and request it. It's the smart thing to do.

Ok...I'll do it, although it is kind of embarrassing...  

I'll just put a zebra patterned pillowcase that was my dad's over my head. It will go perfectly with my zebra-print ukulele case and zebra-print rolling carryon suitcase. Then I'll be perfectly camouflaged with myself and no one will notice me!

• Upvote 2

I have had to do this same thing, Laura. I have spinal, hip and knee issues. I cannot walk far and use a cane now. I have a walker by my bed so when I get up at night I use it so I don't fall. There is no way I could navigate airports now with all the long lines and distance through terminals! I was embarrassed when I first needed these things but I am not now. They are objects that help me get around and be independent. 

I just know you are going to have a wonderful time on your vacation. Rest and have fun and be sure and take a few pictures. 

Anne

• Upvote 3

Anne, I'm sorry you have had all those problems and Marty with her artificial joints. You guys are so good to me!  I used to be such a jock and have always kind of toughed it out no matter what was going on, but I suppose one cannot do that forever. I'm sorry to be so whiney...

My dad couldn't travel without all those things-although he never would have asked for any of it. I set them up all that stuff for him-the handicap placard, the walker, wheelchair, OT, PT, SLP, Meals on Wheels, Personal Trainer, knox box, assistive devices, Wheelchair rides at the airport, and everything else he had. He wouldn't ask for it, but he used all of it, mostly with little resistance. Of course he was 88 and had Parkinson's, but as Marty pointed out, not everyone's injuries and handicaps are visible...

• Upvote 2

I have learned over the years, dear Laura, that only real visual is our kindness. How kind we are to those around us. 

My beloved Jim carried all those things (placards, walkers, OT, PT, etc,) around him during his last few years and did it with such grace. 

I truly believe that it is the "handicaps" that we don't see that make us the special people we are. 

I believe that you will feel better in time. I for one want to see more paintings. 

Anne

• Upvote 3

Anne-you are so right! I do plan to paint! In fact, I've been planning on how to pack what I need to paint for the last week or two. I found a suitcase in which I can fit a chair and two little folding tables in, so I can have a chair to paint in and not have to bend over too far. I've been working on consolidating my painting gear so that it will fit, and still leave room for some clothing. Unfortunately I haven't gotten past that, other than a vegetable steamer basket. I packed that.

I was going to pack the usual stuff today but was too tired and unfocused-I was having a bad day-after seeing the chiropractor and this didn't work out very well. I just couldn't seem to think about it very well-other than the vegetable steamer. Every time I stood up today I got light-headed and so I wasn't thinking too clearly. I had three gorgeous blooms on my most amazing Hibiscus plant and they never got their portraits painted. I just couldn't do it. My friend Bonita is traveling with me and she told me not to worry-that she would help me if I couldn't figure out what to bring other than painting gear. She also sent me her packing list. This is good since I'm not quite all here. I know what I need to bring to paint and play music, but day-to-day usual stuff is more difficult for some reason. I once went to see my friend in New Orleans and brought all my painting gear, an instrument, a music stand, sheet music and all that, but I failed to bring any shirts-just the one I was wearing. And I didn't have a head injury then-just my normal head. 

Well, hopefully I'll feel more in my right mind tomorrow...

Here is one I painted last summer when I was in Hawaii. -Laura

IMG_9972.jpg

• Upvote 3

My advice, don't tell the doctors about your normal head. :D  That's a good idea, having your friend share her packing list, it gives you a place to start.  I'm sorry you missed painting your hibiscus blooms, but I'm sure you'll make up for it in Hawaii!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, kayc said:

My advice, don't tell the doctors about your normal head. :D  

That is hysterical, Kay ..and you are so right. I am trying very hard to be very clear on things like, "This has changed since the accident...or is worse...or is new...since the accident". Thanks for your advice and support; it's always good to get ideas from other people! And today, there are more hibiscus blooms, three yellow, one pink, and two of the multi-color ones...I'm not sure If I'll be able to paint them...I did a little laundry, took a shower, and worked on packing for awhile and I am back to headachy & lightheadedness that is almost delirium. Maybe I should take a nap or something...

Friday afternoon I was thinking my attorney for all his help. We're far from finished, but I always try to do my best to enthusiastically show my appreciation to people who are helping me, to encourage them and not get discouraged about my situation or working with me, or anything else that might come up. I know that I can annoy people, albeit unintentionally. I believe that for any person their worst traits are often the flip side of their best traits. For me, it's this-I don't know when to stop. If it's a project that requires perseverance, that's great. When I'm talking-or writing-and repeating myself and perseverating, that's not good. When I'm engaged in a legal battle and I can't stop talking and I'm talking to the "other side", it's dangerous and could be costly. So, for me, having everybody talking to my ever-charming attorney and not me-it's a good thing!

• Upvote 1

Hey, I'm a master at annoying people and I don't try to either!  It's just I stand up for what I think is right and don't care if everyone hates me in the process.  Once in a while my sister will say, "this must be why you don't have friends" and although I know she's teasing, there's a grain of truth to it too. :)

If you're not up to painting your hibiscus right now, could you take a picture and paint it later, or does that do any good?  I'm not any good at either...

• Upvote 2

I know what you mean...I also stand up for what I think is right, and although it generally comes out ok in the end (because it is what's right and everybody knows it), one certainly catches a lot of flack from doing that. I don't paint from photos, unless I'm desperate or if it's s subject that I know so well I could do it from memory. When I was in my 20's I had done so many self-portraits, I could get a likeness from memory-it was a good party trick and in those days I needed a good party trick since I hardly spoke.

This is how I got into painting flowers. I did a zillion paintings of the guitar, ukuleles, Mister Cello, etc. but at some point I ran out of road on that on one, and since I only paint from life, I was scrambling as to what to do next. I bought a bunch of exotic poinsettias and painted them, but then eventually the leaves all fell off. So I would buy one or more cut flowers, but then they die. So then it was spring so I planted some flowers in pots outside. And then there were no blooms on them and so I bought more and more plants. The people at the greenhouse where I buy most of them are amazed that I don't even really have a yard because they know how many plants I have bought and have seen the paintings. I had to learn about botany so that I could take care of my little models and try to make sure that something was blooming on any given day.

Eventually I figured out that perennials keep coming back and annuals are only good for one season-or part of it. And there are a lot of flowers that are very sweet but you would need a magnifying lens to paint them because the flowers are so tiny. Other flowers are too simple...like daisies/sunflowers...they are great to have around but not too interesting. Other flowers are so complicated and are just way over my head because they have SO many petals that it is just overwhelming. Eventually I began to focus on Hollyhocks, Roses, Clematis, and Hibiscus. I love Orchids and have had a stream of them on the table in my house, one after another since my dad died, but I find them intimidating. Also, they are inside where the light is not so good. The two previous summers I spent in a state of ecstasy, springing out of bed every morning to run out into the yard to see what was blooming. Then I would think about it while I was eating breakfast, some music would start moving along in the background of my mind, and then I would start to paint.

Did I tell you I have synesthesia? There is something going on with music and visual lines, but also something I've discovered with flowers and my relationship with them as well. It's hard to explain. Anyway, I think that flowers have a profound effect on how people feel, and they have a healing effect, but some people are particularly sensitive to them. Somehow I totally fell in love with flowers and painting them...

• Upvote 1

Hawaii trip is getting closer and I am still having trouble doing much of anything. Hard to believe this is possible but it apparently is. I have exceptional visual-spatial abilities that my sisters inherited from our dad-we can pack an incredible amount into anything. But I'm having trouble packing my suitcase and may need some help. Since all the stuff is piled onto and around the suitcase, maybe if I sat on the bed, and dumped the pile next to it, I would be able to get it into some order.

It just seems so weird. Last year as I packed to go to Hawaii I was overflowing with energy and excitement, and now I am struggling to collect myself.

I did, however, manage to pack my origami kit. This is a flying tradition for me, although I never even thought about it when I flew to my aunt's funeral in March. I always take a kit of origami paper when I fly. It often happens that there are small children sitting near me, and after awhile they have played with everything they brought with them, and their parents are looking rather stressed, and the people sitting around them are getting uncomfortable,especially if the child is crying. So I start folding origami items for them to play with-animals and planes and whatnot. If they are interested, I teach them how to make things too, and the parents gratefully go to sleep. I have even swapped seats with someone so as to help entertain a child that is having trouble on a flight. Usually it's the first thing I pack. Well after my music and art stuff, but definitely before my clothes and all the normal stuff.

• Upvote 1

Haha, I have to laugh, your art has priority over your clothes. :D  That's not surprising, knowing how artistic you are!  It's really sweet of you to plan for other people's kids to keep them entertained.  Maybe their parents will by origami to take on their next flight!

Well, I figure it's a win-win for everybody. I have more fun entertaining children with origami than listening/watching them in distress, the kids love it, and everyone else can sleep. I wouldn't have been sleeping anyway...

• Upvote 1

So I'm going to Hawaii and having trouble packing. Bonita is coming tomorrow to help me, which is very good. She is sweet but businesslike and practical. I have this idea that I really want to take my dad's really cool bubble shaped box kite so I can fly it on the beach, except it won't fit in even the biggest suitcase I could find at either of our houses and so I would be showing up with this kite begging them to let me take it, but if they didn't, I would then have to abandon my dad's kite at the airport and never see it again. Or I could take a smaller kite that would fit in the suitcase but isn't a special kite and not attached to my dad in any day. Bonita is not sure that I need a kite at all, but my dad loved kites and so do I. He had to wait to go the the beach every year, and I had to wait more or less forever because the wind in AZ is terrible because the landscape here is too lumpy and it messes up the wind. When I think about flying a kite at the beach in Hawaii, it makes me drool...it's even as exciting as painting flowers there and I think my dad's spirit would like kite flying in Hawaii...This is a link to his kite, exept his is blue and purple.

https://smile.amazon.com/Prism-EO-Box-Kite-Fire/dp/B000XA04BM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465885317&sr=8-1&keywords=prism+eo6

Why not call the airport ahead of time and see what they say about your bringing it on?  If it doesn't fit the measurements requirement, they probably will not make an exception.  I would leave it home rather than having to abandon it.  

• Upvote 1

So Imade it through the airport, used the wheelchair nd all of that. We are on Maui and spent our first day looking around for things to do-who wants to do what. I don't think zip lines, jogging on the beach and hiking up volcanoes are on my permitted  on this trip, so I've been scouting for flowers that I would enjoy painting and could get close enough to without spending hours in the blazing sun. Didn't actually paint today, but after swearing that I would definitely NOT buy any more ukuleles in Hawaii, I managed to acquire a lovely little lavender one this afternoon. Bonita and I spent some time shopping for hair clips with colorful flowers on them while talking about Father's Day this weekend. Her dad has been gone for five years or more, but she misses him. 

I told her I was thinking about buying a blue Hawaiian shirt for my dad-a color that would be good for me that he would have liked as well. So, we would share it, me being the one that would wear it. She wasn't sure that was such a good idea for me to acquire a man's Hwaiian shirt, as beautiful as it might be.I don't know-seems like kind of a cool thing to me-to share a shirt with him. I'm having trouble letting go of the holidays with him. I bought him a Vaentine's Day card, and put it next to his urn, reading it so him several times, and found a card later that he had bought for me. Then not long after that, I found a birthday card that he had apparently bought for my birthday in late February but not signed. It was cool- I found it on the day of or the day before my birthday. After I suddenly got the idea to start digging around in a certain pile of papers for something that I don't even know if I ever found, but I found the birthday card...

Is it so weird to want to share a Hawaiian shirt with my dad for Father's Day?