Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Halloween - one of Crystal's favourite times of the year. She loved trick or treating with her kids, and decorating the house. She would pull out all the stops.

But it was last year's Halloween where she found out her cancer came back. I'll never forget how that felt when she told me. 

Nevertheless she carried on. She celebrated it in full, for the kids. 

We talked about how she would fight it with everything.

I have so many joyful memories of her at Halloween. Years and years worth. I wish so much it was not clouded by that one horrible memory. 

I feel sick thinking of her kids having it without her this year. 

I don't know whether to try and celebrate it at all in honour of her or succumb to the negativity I now can't help but view it with.

Finch do what you feel is right for you I know it is hard for you right now hold onto Crystals love and good memories try not to dwell on the hard ones though I know how difficult it is holidays are difficult especially if it was special to our loved ones I wish you some sense of comfort.

Everyone handles things differently.  George LOVED every holiday, every season, and went all out for each of them.  In his honor and memory, I fully decorate my house for Christmas, even when my heart was so broken my spirit could not be in it.  I don't just put up a tree, but have decorations everywhere, including his ornaments and stocking.  And I think he's here with me enjoying it.

Whether Fall, Halloween, Christmas, I think he's here enjoying the music, the special shows, the decorations, he had so much zest for life, and was so full of spirit for everything, that's why I continue to do it.

• Upvote 1

Kay,. I wish I could be more like you.  I have been avoiding everything that Al and I did together, including all the holiday  things.  He was like a little kid, carving his pumpkin, making pumpkin seeds, decorating.  I just can not get into it.  It makes me so sad not to be doing things with him.  I have not gone to a play since he died and we would go to at least 6-7 a month.  No more for me.  

Gin

I'm like you, Gin.  I cannot even fathom doing all decorating work to sit looking at it alone.  I still can't stand waking up alone and living the day that way much less reminders of special things we did for holidays.   

• Upvote 1

I use to decorate for every holiday there is, because Dale like it so much.  Last year, I did decorate a little for Christmas, but that was it.  This year I was planning on trying to decorate for Halloween, but i usually do it at the beginning of the month and was having to prepare to evacuate and then did evacuate and then deal with damage (which I'm still dealing with) for the Hurricane, so I lost interest in decorating for Halloween, maybe next year.

Joyce

• Upvote 2

Gwen,

It  is so hard, isn't it?  All the fun is gone without our loved ones to share it.

Joyce,

You had so much turmoil lately.  Hard to even think of next year.  Hope you get everything settled soon.

Everyone around this city is so excited about the Cubs.  Almost everyone.  Somehow it just doesn't matter.

• Upvote 3

I have not decorated for Halloween. I didn't last year either because this time last year is when things started happening to Richard. Last year my daughter made me decorate for Christmas. If it wasn't for her I wouldn't even bother but I don't want to ruin it for her. She is almost 17 and I know I don't have much more time with her living at home. I'm sure once she graduates she will be ready to spread her wings. I'm not looking forward to that because then I'm going to be all alone.

• Upvote 4

My decorations and even lights are up.........When i hang them up I know the history of each one.....Each of at least thirty five years had these same decorations....and all home made by kids......some kind of celebration....I only get about 40-50 kids,

• Upvote 1

Gin,

I must admit, that first Christmas my heart was NOT in it, it was more or less forced by my kids wanting to put up a tree and my daughter helped me decorate.  But now I do it even though no one will likely see it but me...and George.  

But I have not continued everything...just as you can't handle going to a play, I have not gone camping since George died.  It was a very big part of our lives, it was something WE did together!  I finally gave my son our camping trailer, I never did even clean it out...there were still some shirts of his in there.  But it was so very painful to go into it, I just couldn't.

• Upvote 1