Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Another Loss

Today I lost my dog, she was 14 years and 3 months. She's been having a lot of problems this year, dementia, incontinences, blindness, deafness, falling, pain, and she seemed like she wasn't happy anymore, so we had her put to sleep. I'm glad my son was with me, he made all the difference in the world, and I thought I'd do okay, but we both lost it...she fought valiantly for her life. I held my face next to hers until her struggle ceased and I promised her that George would take care of her until I could come join them. My little girl, Lucky...

KayC,

I was so sorry to hear about your loss of Lucky. It's just heartbreaking to lose our little four legged friends.

Please go to this site (I also have it listed in my own website under the tab - "Memorial to Dusky" - http://findingmybananabreadman.com/ ) as a memory to him.

Any way the site I want you to see is as follows:

http://www.ladyjayes.com/rainbowbridge.html

I hope this helps,

Love and Peace,

John - Dusky is my handle on here.

Love you Jack

KayC,

I also wanted you to know that I have added Lucky's name to the "Memorial to Dusky" tab of my web site. If you go to my site at http://findingmybananabreadman.com/index.php?page_id=1 and then click on the "Memorial to Dusky" tab - you will find Luck's name - and you as the owner - listed on the site.

John - Dusky is my handle on here

Love you Jack

Kay - I'm sorry about Lucky. I've had to put down two of my labs who were quite old, and their quality of life just wasn't there any more. They all are just like family. My heart goes out to you. She's a happy, healthy young dog again, and happy to be with George. Take care.

Your friend, Karen :wub:;)

Kayc,

I am so so sorry you have to go through another loss it is hard to lose our pets, they are like a part of our families. Just picture Lucky happy, healthy and playing with George. Sending you a big hug (((Kayc))).

Love & Hugs, :wub:

Corinne

Aw Kayc I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved pup.

It IS good to know though that your son was with you. That's a tough enough thing to have to do but to have to do it alone... that must be horrendous.

So great he was with you. And I'll bet George was right there for your Lucky and I can't even imagine the amount of tail waggin that must have gone on.

14 years is a long time... And I know you will miss her awful for awhile. But from the way you describe her... it must have been time for her to go be with George. And I'll bet she's a happy pup once again now.

((((Hugs))))

leeann

Thank you all fr your responses, it helps to know that people care. Esp. thank you to John for listing Lucky in his memorial.

Lucky fought even at the end and it took a long time for the shot to take its affect, that kind of unnerved me as I expected her to just quietly fall asleep. I laid my face next to hers and spoke softly to her and tried to quiet her fears...she's in good hands now, I know she's with my George...maybe he called her home! ^_^

Dear Kay,

I'm sorry I couldn't reply last night when I read about Lucky. My own dog of fifteen years had to be put to sleep exactly one month after Bob died and it was so very painful. Bob and I had an appointment to bring him to the vet and then Bob was admitted to the hospital the same day. I cancelled the vet, and we thought we would wait until Bob was home to help with the kids. Bob never made it home. He died a week later. The night I came home alone from the visitation, only Zeus was here. He laid his head on my lap and we both cried. I know he also felt the pain of losing our best friend.

I hope you are doing okay today. The first day Zeus was gone felt like I'd lost Bob all over again. I wasn't prepared for it because I thought after feeling the greatest pain, nothing would ever be that bad again. Boy was I wrong. Although, it was comforting to think that Bob has his buddy with him again. And both of them, without pain or stiffness, is a sight I look forward to seeing some day.

Kath

Kay, I cried for you when I read about Lucky. Pets may not live as long as people, but they bring so much love and joy to us during their short lives that losing them cuts deep.

When Bill and I married 12 years ago, he already had a dog named Winnie and as a wedding gift, we received a beautiful cocker puppy we called Jackie. We had to put Winnie down in 2004 and then two years later, Jackie died in her sleep while I was at work. I was angry with Bill because he took her to the vet for cremation before I got home that night, denying me a chance to see her one last time. But he told me he had done it because he wanted to spare me seeing her dead.

I really believe that Bill fought so hard to stay alive after his heart attack not only because he didn't want to leave, but when he knew he couldn't survive he wanted to give me several days to say goodbye. It's comforting to think of Bill walking with Winnie and Jackie by his side, looking down on me and the two other little dogs, Josie and Polo, who are my family now.

Hugs and prayers for you,

Kathy

Kay

I'm so sorry that Lucky fought at the end. She probably knew that you would be alone and didn't want that either. I know somewhere in the not too distant future I will probably face this too because Holly turned 17 on Nov 1st. I know I have kids and grandkids but they aren't here with me day in a day out. She is often in our bay window waiting for me. I will miss that wag when the day finally comes.

Have you thought about if you will get a new pet? My daughter asked me that the other day and I said I thought I'd take a break because like you I know it will be like Tom dying again. I'm sure at some point I will get another dog to have that constant companionship.

So many of you have pets and know what it means to have them to fill our hearts and lives with...and have also learned the pain of losing them.

Lucky was a Whippet and was very nervous and scared of everything, I'm sure that's why she fought death. My one consolation is that now she has nothing to fear and has my George by her side and is reunited with our cat, King George. It will feel odd not to have her greet me as I come home from work tonight. There was never a dog more obedient and well trained than her (she came to us secondhand) and she was a sweet companion.

I'm not sure about getting another dog...although I would welcome the companionship, I commute a long ways and with the hours I'm gone and the winter weather, I'm not sure it'd be fair to a dog...when I got Lucky I worked locally so it was different. I was very tempted when I saw a Husky/Aussie mix available at the local shelter, but when I called, he was already spoken for so perhaps that is my answer.

Thank you all for your well wishes and thoughts, you all are my family and mean the world to me!

Love,

KayC

I am also an animal lover (Lou used to call me "Ellie May" because of all the "critters" I tried to rescue and take care of. For a short time we had 3 dogs and 3 cats. Within 3 years before Lou's death one cat and all 3 dogs passed on. It was very strange because only one of the animals was old. The others got sick despite excellent medical care and died or had to be put down. Now when I think back, I wonder if this was intentional. There is NO WAY I would have been able to care for our dogs with Lou not here to help. I work many hours and also have a longer commute than he did and because my animals would not have been allowed to suffer, my career and my health would have.

Now I only have 2 cats (plus 2 strays that someone decided to dump outside my home) to take care of. This is much easier since they do not need to be walked and have each other for company when I am gone.

Pets are like family to those of us who love them. My Lou was so loving and kind to all animals and our pets loved him dearly. It was a blessing that they went before my Lou because with no family to count on I had to do everything. I would love to believe that they were there waiting on Lou when he passed on and that they are all together. I miss them all and can identify with your pain. People who don't have pets that they really bond with have no idea how much grief the loss of a pet can cause. My thoughts are with you.

Rosemary