Grief Healing Discussion Groups

A Joyous Event On A Sad Day

I just got great news today & had to share. My youngest son who is serving in Afghanistan is done with deployment & will be back in the states on the 21st, this is the 6month anniversary of my DH & his daddy going to heaven. God always has a way of reminding me of what I still have here on earth. I won't get to see my son on the day he comes home(he's stationed too far from home) but just having him back in the states will be enough. He will get to come home soon after for a month R&R & we have a trip planned for my DH's b-day in may to our favorite place.

Dear One, this is such wonderful news, and please know that we all share in the joy you're feeling right now. One of my sons is in Afghanistan (working with the State Department) and I know first-hand how we mothers worry about the safety of our children over there. I'm so happy for you and your boy, and when the day comes when you can put your arms around him, be sure to let him know how much we honor and appreciate his service to our country!

Fantastic!!

We all celebrate with you. Good news is always welcome as we walk our paths. mfh

thank you all. It has been hard having him there, we really havent had time to talk about daddy, he deployed the week we put dh on hospice, he did get to come home 2wks before dh passed,that was a blessing cuz dh got to see he was ok, dh was so proud of him but didnt want him to go to war(we lost his identical twin 20yrs ago). he came home for the funeral & none of us really talked, I was trying so hard to keep it together & be strong for my kids plus I had to take care of the funeral(dh wanted me to do the service). I know when he finally gets home its going to be very emotional for both him & me, I kept a lot of my emotions away from him cuz I figured he had enough on his plate being there & I didn't want to worry him.

How wonderful for you and your son to be together again. I so appreciate the service your son gave for our country. From experience, I have learned sharing your grief with loved ones is beneficial for all. By trying to shelter my son from the knowledge of the depths of my grief, I have not allowed him to share his grief with me. As a result, until recently, neither of us has been able to really look at our grief and begin to work our way out of the pit. My son told me he finds it easier to "deal" with me now that he has an idea of the depths of my pain. The same is true for my dealing with him. I believe it is an example of our love for each other that we share our grief.

God Bless you both and totally enjoy having that boy safely home.

Anne

HE'S ON AMERICAN SOIL!!!! Today the yellow ribbon comes off my tree! I'm in emotional overdrive today, my boy is finally out of Afghanistan,but my DH went to be with Jesus 6months ago today. I don't know how to feel? I'm happy that my son is out of there(though I haven't got to talk or see him yet), but I'm also sad that my DH doesn't get to be here for that great news. wow what a year its been.

PP, I can only imagine your sense of relief and joy at having your son back in the states! He lends a new meaning to April 21st! Thank God, we rejoice with you!

PP,

I'm so happy for you that your son is back in America and that he came home safe. I'm sure your husband is watching and smiling down at you.

I;d love to hear about your memory stones, are they able to be put outside in a garden?

Lainey

yes they are for the garden. many years ago I wanted a garden & one day as a total surprise my dh made me one w/ walls & a gate. he was a carver & did a lot of chainsaw work & he made me a sign over my garden "----- secret garden". I put the 1st stone in there w/ his dates & now I will put this one in there. I'm not much of a gardener, he pretty much took care of it, but it serves as a reminder now of his love & unselfishness to me.

Hi Pink pony, I am so thrilled for you just knowing your son is safe and sound, I have a friend who has a son over there.. Yes indeed April 21st has new meaning... Happy days ahead for you I bet, Big hugs... Shelley

Your garden sounds nice, do you have perennials in it? Lars was the gardener also, but I decided I wanted a perennial garden so he worked the soil, added the compost and such, then let me go to town. He was also a carver and carved a face(his) on a tree stump that is in the garden. I love that stump.

Lainey

Congratulations on your son's return and I reach out to you on the 6 month anniversary of your loss. Bittersweet days...for sure. Feelings up and down, all over the place. You are in my thoughts and prayers as you honor this day. mfh

oh my lainey, my dh carved a head that looked just like him when he lost all his hair from chemo, but when he carved it it was before he was sick, so when he got sick we had a giggle saying "who would have known you were making a self portrait?" he use to put a cowboy hat on it. it sits on a bench he made of stones under a tree. I had a veggie garden & I put sweet peas in there too, my dh worked that soil real good infact last summer sick & all he was obsessed w/ getting it just right for me. I do have wild flowers that grow in there, but for now its just 2 funeral plants, a mum & a minature rose that I havent managed to kill yet.lol

Hi PinkPony, I share your joy in knowing your son is back on American soil. Many years ago my youngest son, at age 18, was in Desert Storm, a marine, and those were terrible weeks. I shall never forget them.

I know you are conflicted, but it is all right to feel joy, even in the middle of grief. That grief is going to be a part of us in some way for the rest of our lives, however that does not mean that we cannot feel joy.

My husband has now been gone over 15 months, and I have accepted that I will always be grieving for him, and missing him. Having said that, I am trying to move on with my life, and try to look for the things that bring joy into my life. I have wonderful supportive friends and family, and I keep busy. My kids say I am too busy, but it works for me. I am retiring next month, and am a little concerned that I will have too much time on my hands, but think I will find things to do on a volunteer basis.

Happy for you that your son is coming home.

Mary (Queeniemary) in Arkansas