Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Buckheads Fire, Westfir Or

There are some nearby fires, one is grown to 45 acres now and they've ordered evacuation of certain roads in Westfir. Just up the ridge is where I live, although ten miles by road, as the crow flies it's really a hop, skip, and a jump from Westfir. Please pray they get this fire contained, it's only 15% contained right now with no expected date they'll have it under control. It's hard to get by aerial and hard to fight by land because of the steep terrain, and adding to it, there is a lot of falling debris spreading it.

Right now my big concern is I have four animals and I work 50 miles from home...if they ordered an evacuation, they give 1/2 hour notice, which isn't enough time for me to drive home and get my animals, and I can't drive both vehicles away by myself, and I need one for commuting and one for snow in the winter. Also, I have nowhere to go. My best friend lives on my street and would be in the same boat.

Again, this is just one more time that I can't help but think, if only George were here, I could handle this.

We all need prayers here!

Kay, I just saw this post in my email and want you to know that i will keep you (and your animals) in my prayers and thoughts. I just walked through the Colorado Springs fire with one of my close friends whose son was in the heart of it as a fire mitigation officer and she worried sick about him. And I have lived in Colorado worrying about those fires and knowing we would have had to evacuate our valley early on if fire was nearby. It is frightening to say the least. Please do keep us posted.

Peace in the midst of it all, Mary

You are in my prayers! How scary this must be for you and everyone else in the area! Is there anyone you can contact to get your animals to a safe place for the time being? I am praying for you and all the others!

Kimberly

My prayers are with you. I am sorry that you have this to worry about. Coming from the south west I know about fires. Arizona can be both breathtaking and horrific at the same time. Fire is an enemy that no one wants to confront. Prayers. enna

Hope all is well at your end Kay, As a veteran of may forest fires throughout the west, have learned that during this time to keep pics and important documents in boxes near the front door, for a quick getaway, have you entertained the idea of boarding the dogs if it looks like it is headed your way, am willing to bet that the fire dept would have leads on places you could board, or people taking them in for now, for little or no expense, at least that has been my experience here Good Luck! Dave

I have two dogs that no one would take in...one is 120 lbs and very active and also has anxiety problems, the other is elderly and crippled, can't walk, and is incontinent...neither are "easy dogs". The only kennel here closed a few months ago and it's a long ways to the city. I could have a neighbor load them up in his truck if I'm out of town when evacuation occurs, but that still leaves the problem of where to go to. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that. I'm wishing I still had a canopy, if worse came to worse we could stay in the truck temporarily. Sometimes life is just challenging!

Kay, I was evacuated once while traveling in CA and the red cross had a shelter as the motels were all full. I ended up doing admissions at the shelter and all were welcome. They probably would take the dogs if crated.

Mary

I don't think I could crate my dog, he is 120 lb. livewire! If I saved my truck I could keep him in the back end. So far, so good, but they don't have the fire contained yet, nor any date of when they expect it to be. I'll figure something out...as usual, I'm a worrier!

Kay, I'm sorry to see this, I hope and pray they will be able to contain this fire. I know how difficult it would be to move 2 dogs, like you, I have 2 and it would be a nightmare trying to move them much less take care of myself. Keep us informed when you can, just wish we weren't on opposite sides of the country, I feel helpless from this end. You are strong and resilient, you'll handle this and George will be with you, Deborah

It's spread but they have it 35% contained right now, I'm hoping this is one of those things they work out and no one will have to be evacuated excepting the one road they are using for the firefighters. I'm also hoping none of the firefighters suffers injury as this is extremely steep dangerous terrain and part of the problem they're having is falling debris. I can't imagine being on the ground crew! Even my son mentioned it must be "fun", not!