Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Meditation

mfh

Thank you for the beautiful meditation, its message, and of course for the lovely little feathered jewels featured in the film. Beautifully done, and deeply healing for me.

Now on to Tara, before I take a nap, pain free and no pills needed. :)

Thank you Anne.

fae

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! I am not even ready for part 1 yet so I am going back to a meditation that I have found useful at the stage I'm in ~

I found this meditation several months ago when I was struggling and I guess I haven't come very far :excl:

ON BEING with Krista Tippett

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 - 7:20am

6942800269_b4000183e2_o.jpg?itok=KmMUZsP
A New Life I Must Call My Own
by Parker J. Palmer (@parkerjpalmer), weekly columnist

As you know, I say unkind things about winter every now and then. But cut me some slack, winter-lovers! I live in Madison, Wisconsin, and I've earned my stripes when it comes to ice and snow and zero temps!

Truth be told, there are certain features of this season that I, too, love. For example, on the introverted/extroverted scale, I'm right in the middle. Winter is good for my introverted side.

As the days get shorter and the weather gets colder, I find myself going inward in ways that nourish my soul. It's a spiritual version of hibernation, I suppose.

That's why I love this poem by David Whyte. It takes me on an inner journey, touching on things I need to remember and truths I need to embrace.

At the moment, this line speaks to me: "what disturbs and then nourishes has everything we need." If you're in a mood to sit by this virtual fire for a while in solitude and silence, maybe this poem has a gift for you.

The Winter of Listening
by David Whyte

No one but me by the fire,
my hands burning
red in the palms while
the night wind carries
everything away outside.

All this petty worry
while the great cloak
of the sky grows dark
and intense
round every living thing.

What is precious
inside us does not
care to be known
by the mind
in ways that diminish
its presence.

What we strive for
in perfection
is not what turns us
into the lit angel
we desire,

what disturbs
and then nourishes
has everything
we need.

What we hate
in ourselves
is what we cannot know
in ourselves but
what is true to the pattern
does not need
to be explained.

Inside everyone
is a great shout of joy
waiting to be born.

Even with the summer
so far off
I feel it grown in me
now and ready
to arrive in the world.

All those years
listening to those
who had
nothing to say.

All those years
forgetting
how everything
has its own voice
to make
itself heard.

All those years
forgetting
how easily
you can belong
to everything
simply by listening.

And the slow
difficulty
of remembering
how everything
is born from
an opposite
and miraculous
otherness.

Silence and winter
has led me to that
otherness.

So let this winter
of listening
be enough
for the new life
I must call my own.

Oh fae, you are welcome, I know how much you have liked Belleruth and some of her guided meditations. I used to think that I'd never get my "monkey" mind to be still, but over the past two years I have found that if I keep at it I win ~ even if it is for only a few minutes. I am still finding the guided meditation to be more helpful to me and I like nothing better than to watch beautiful nature videos as I listen.

Over the years, I used to "be still" (I don't think I called it meditation) but since Jim died I'm learning a deeper stillness.

If you go back go p.55 on this thread our Mary has listed a number of Belleruth's meditations for those who are looking.

Thank you Anne!

I did go back to page 55 and copied all the links so that I have these "at hand" here. I miss Mary, but I am so proud of her for taking this time to go within and discover and integrate the pieces of who she is today. I am glad she posted all those links.

I also ordered the General Wellness CD, which I am going to use through March as I journey on this healing path. I am told that I can begin more walking and perhaps light weights by mid-January, and can expect to be back to feeling very healthy by the end of March.

I think of this time as a part of the journey—of releasing and accepting—that I have been on since Doug was diagnosed: I have had to let go of so much, including my expectations of continuing perfect health and vitality. I feel somehow that this time of being guided more and more toward meditation, contemplation, and peace is a time of bringing my mind and spirit into focus so that I can learn these Huge lessons that seem to be arriving for me.

Today, I am going out to visit friends at their house -- my first real social outing in almost two months. I will be thinking of you today, and your beautiful garden and your fruit trees, knowing you are finding peace and beauty in the day.

Namaste,

fae

• 3 weeks later...

I can remember when I first started to meditate that I thought I was getting nowhere or I was more distracted so perhaps I should stop but I don’t think that way now. Now I just do it and don’t think about whether or not I’m doing it “right” or not.

A quote from Buddhist scripture:

Just as when a carpenter or carpenter’s apprentice sees the marks of his fingers or thumb on the handle of his adze but does not know, ‘Today my adze handle wore down this much, or yesterday it wore down that much, or the day before yesterday it wore down this much,’ still he knows it is worn through when it is worn through. In the same way, when a monk dwells devoting himself to development, he does not know, ‘Today my mental pollutants wore down this much, or yesterday they wore down that much, or the day before yesterday they wore down this much,’ still he knows they are worn through when they are worn through.

Staying with it is a positive for me. It’s a practice of patience for me and I don’t worry about just going through the motions.

"When we go home to ourselves with the energy of mindfulness, we're no longer afraid of being overwhelmed by the energy of suffering. Mindfulness gives us the strength to look deeply and give rise to understanding and compassion." 

I do not know who said this...

1913395_10152775186759635_56475207878733

hns_dm_email_header.jpg dm_winter_trees.jpg Friday January 16, 2015

"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." - 2 Corinthians 4: 16-18 (NIV)

Living with Hope

Optimism and hope are radically different attitudes. Optimism is the expectation that things-the weather, human relationships, the economy, the political situation, and so on-will get better. Hope is the trust that God will fulfill God's promises to us in a way that leads us to true freedom. The optimist speaks about concrete changes in the future. The person of hope lives in the moment with the knowledge and trust that all of life is in good hands.

All the great spiritual leaders in history were people of hope. Abraham, Moses, Ruth, Mary, Jesus, Rumi, Gandhi, and Dorothy Day all lived with a promise in their hearts that guided them toward the future without the need to know exactly what it would look like. Let's live with hope.

henri_full_signature.gif

You speak of meditation, and I have learned it is the same with prayer. I have both studied prayer...and practiced it. I have found so many talk about it, yet fewer experience it. There is no right way or wrong way, there are only our ways. We put God into a box and try to make everything fit a religion, when really, it is the opposite. God does not fit into a box! He is much to grand for that! It is only for us to know Him, to snuggle up beside him. I have seen so many try to teach new ones their "religion", rules, policies, dogma. Puke! They don't need that, all they need is to know how to snuggle up to God. He is able to show them the lessons they need, to teach them, give them strength...we are to be lights, to demonstrate the way, but throw the dogma out the window, others do not need us telling them what God may not have for them just now! They do need to see light demonstrated in our lives. How can we do that if we do not take care of ourselves?! We need to take time out to rest, to meditate (or pray). For renewal.

I have always loved Henri Nouwen, Such a beautiful gift with how he puts things! You, Anne, have the ability to find these gems and polish them up and show them to us, just when we most need them!

For that I thank you.

Sometimes meditation (or prayer) is just being. Just sitting at the feet of God. Being...waiting. Is it a lost art, this waiting? This is a hurried up world that expects instant gratification, yet some of the most priceless gifts are those we wait upon. Sometimes it takes emptying ourselves of all of the (_____) before we can be filled.

Oh Kay, I agree with you about meditation (prayer) as just being. Our lives have become so busy - we think - that we don't take the time to sit and listen.

I found these short meditation to be helpful ~ I like that they are not too long for I still find myself getting too restless and then I start making lists. Lists of all the things I need to do ~ or think I need to do!!! :blush:

http://www.yogananda-srf.org/Guided_Meditations.aspx#.VMAiH2TF92d

Dear Kay and Anne,

I have wondered the difference in prayer and meditation. I think perhaps they are twin sisters, and both are right and good. I am a massage therapist, and I learned a bit about meditation during my classes. I've come to use both prayer and meditation. Meditation helps bring my mind to only the present, and helps to keep my mind from wandering as I pray. My prayers are simply talking to God; meditation helps me listen while He speaks to my heart. How can we hear if we're the one who is always talking? That makes for a one-sided conversation, and is rude to God (I confess that I'm guilty). We need to sometimes just be quiet and still, and as you said, just "be." Sometimes no words are needed. God hears our heart, and prayer can be breathed.

You are right, Kay, in saying that there is no right or wrong way. Sometimes the right way for me is to pray as I work in my rose garden, and sometimes, my bathtub is my best place to pray, for I can cry and pour out to God all my pain that I don't want Jerry to see or hear. Nancy Reagan said that she used her bathtub as a place to rid herself of anger toward anyone who had hurt her Ronnie (I'm unable to quote her, but that's what I got from her statement). I learned that it's a good place for me also. It's a great place for assured privacy, for hardly anyone will follow you into your bathroom.

Blessings,

Carrie

I think perhaps prayer and meditation are different avenues but both seem to bring the same benefits. To me, talking and more importantly, listening to God, has even added benefit. Meditation seems to me an emptying of ones self and yes, a bringing one back to the present moment...away from busyness, away from doing, even away from the endless thinking, but then listening to God does the same for me. :)

I never really thought of the bathroom as being that sacred place, (this brings a smile to my face), but it sure sounds like it'd work, you're right, people don't usually follow you into it! :)

Yes, Kay, that is a good thought about meditation. I think one good thing about meditation is that we can listen more than talk.

This is a good opening for the beginning of meditation for me ~ it helps in listening.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=music+for+meditation&FORM=VIRE3#view=detail&mid=DF9F8AE42EB410C2CEABDF9F8AE42EB410C2CEAB

I have some CDs with nature sounds (rain, ocean, etc.) and it's good to meditate to also.