Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Meditation

mfh

A video on meditation by Jon Kabat-Zinn, the person most responsible for bringing meditation/mindfulness to the USA. I spent a day with him in a workshop not too long ago and found it invigorating and inspiring.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/25/jon-kabat-zinn-meditation_n_5212768.html?1398438040

Jon Kabat-Zinn: Meditation Is 'The Simplest Thing In The World'

"Meditation is the act of checking in on yourself, he explained at Thrive, The Huffington Post's second Third Metric conference on redefining success beyond the two metrics of money and power. "You just drop in. It turns out to be the simplest thing in the world."

"There's nothing particularly mystical or magical about it," he added. "It's about awe and beauty and wonder and well-being, and it's all readily available to us."

Says Tara Brach on Facebook today:

Inspiration for Meditation: There is a bone shaped dog tag you can wear on a cord around your neck, "SIT STAY HEAL".

"SIT, STAY, HEAL" ~ perfect!

I am overwhelmed by the many "tools" that are here for us. As we have heard so many times before "grief is OUR work" and it just makes this journey more manageable to have these resources available to us.

Thank you, Marty and Mary.

Anne, you are welcome. I think you post as many helpful tools as Marty and I do and yes, our library is growing by leaps and bounds thanks to everyone who adds to it.

A thought for today: A daily meditation from Henri Nouwen

http://wp.henrinouwen.org/daily_meditation_blog/?p=2931

This is the second link today that is not working! We have been able to do the daily meditations before. I must be doing something wrong! My link over on 'significant quotes' is not working either. Help.

post-15704-0-64096700-1398879408_thumb.j

Edited by MartyT
Link inserted

Anne, my dear, I managed to fix your link to Nouwen's Daily Meditation, but after searching the Willowgreen site, I could not find the title you mentioned in your other post, so I couldn't fix your link to Grieving the One You Love in Significant Quotes.

Are you sure that is the correct title? And did you find it on the Willowgreen site, or did it come from James Miller's Grief Helps site?

As for adding a link, when you place your link in the URL box that pops up, you need to make sure that the "http://" protocol is not appearing twice.

Let us know if you continue to have trouble with links!

Thank you for fixing this link from Henri Nouwen, Marty. And thank you for reminding me to look more carefully when placing the link in the URL.

I will delete the link over on Significant Quotes since I thought it was a James Miller piece. There are many good articles under James Miller's Grief Help site that you supplied.

I think I need more rest! I'll let my meditation be restful sleep for another day. :blush:

These resources look great... I'd like to develop meditation as a habit yet I find adjustments to secondary losses zap me. The additional household responsibilities now mine since Fred died really add up. Where do we find the time and energy for these extras in addition to the basics like work, social & exercise?

For me, quality sleep is better than any glass of wine or chocolate cookie. Except for my first months of acute grief, I've never had trouble sleeping. Thankfully, I'm past that most of the time. After watching this TED talk, I feel fortunate to be in the minority that awakens "fully charged" most mornings. My favorite time of day is the last few minutes of a good sleep.

Dear JeL, I am glad to know you are getting good sleep again. Yes, it is critical to our healing and our health. I am glad you find the tools offered here helpful. I think your desire to learn to meditate does not have to add a chore to your day. Just doing household chores being present to what you are doing puts you into a mindfulness state. Clearly, when we lose our spouses there are more chores to do and we are emotionally and physically exhausted as well in spite of sleeping well. As your peruse the Meditation topic you will see some guided meditations that are helpful when one is beginning to meditate. They are usually videos, thought some are audios, that lead you through a meditation.

Here are a couple of links that were posted earlier. There are many in this topic.

6 minutes of chakra meditation and at the end there are many more from which to choose.

Mary, Thank you for this, which I am using these days. I did not post here yesterday so others could see that you had posted, but today, I want to thank you for all that you bring to us here, for your generosity of spirit and your wisdom.

I am learning a new level of patience with this healing: I probably have the rest of this month to go at a snail's pace, and the OM chanting is a perfect way to take my mind out of my body for a respite, and give myself over to things more transcendent. The imagery is stunningly beautiful, by the way.

Thank you very much.

fae

I am relieved to know that you see all of May being dedicated to going at a snail's pace. You might wish to consider later in the month re-visiting that idea and perhaps extending it through June. :)

That Chakra video I posted has several other options at the end...that are equally lovely.

Mary

Heather Stang is the author of Mindfulness and Grief and at her website she offers some free Mindfulness exercises that she leads:

http://mindfulnessandgrief.com/meditations-for-grief

This TED talk just took my breath away...made me more aware of the miracle of creation with its intricacies....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tedtalks/louis-schwartzberg-ted-photography_b_5249676.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063

Thank you, Mary, for finding these treasures. I too was blown away when I saw the piece from TED. What beauty. I really like Louie Schwartzberg's work in film.

This TED talk just took my breath away...made me more aware of the miracle of creation with its intricacies....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tedtalks/louis-schwartzberg-ted-photography_b_5249676.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063

Beautiiful! Thank you Mary. The dragonflies were, of course, the best.

*<twinkles>*

fae

Mary, that is a beautiful meditation. Thank you.

Now, inspired by Rumi, I go to be silent for a while. It has been a very good day.

Much Love to both of you,

fae

I think this goes here ~ in the meditation thread:

Acceptance—and beginning again—is the essence of all meditation practice. Each time we sit down to meditate, we are starting over.

Every time we forget to breathe or our minds wander or we’re hijacked by feelings or sensations, we gently bring ourselves back to the breath, again and again.

Each opportunity to interrupt the onslaught of thoughts and return to the object of meditation is, in fact, a moment of enlightenment; this principle of starting over—and approaching each challenge or frustration with a beginner’s mind—is the essence of resilience.

When we don’t allow setbacks to defeat us, they become opportunities for learning, acceptance, flexibility, and patience.

When we engage a wait-and-see attitude toward outcomes and possibilities, this openness to possibility helps us weather the inevitable adversities of working life.

Sharon Salzberg from Real Happiness at Work

Image by Mitch Blunt

10322663_10152319808026676_7633793136926