Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Mom

Oh, I wonder if my sister in law wants to fly home to be with family. She's from Manila. My brother certainly makes enough to send her. But he couldnt go with as he has work. She's very nice and I feel bad for her and the family

Guess Panther was born in the wild then. Interesting he adopted a human and a dog. Guess theyre social animals after all.

Its upper 60s and sun today. Rain yesterday but no wind thankfully. Hoping for a mild summer with rain so my bills stay low. I am almost going to plant my seeds but we will have some nights in the upper 30s and lower 40s. It's hard to wait. 

Painting the house. Have the garage door and frame done and the front door and frame. Next will be two sides. The other couple areas need wood replaced so they can wait. 

My neighbor got up on my roof and nailed back the two loose shingles. Nice fellow. I hope its done correctly. He seems to know what he's doing. Will find out when the buyers inspection happens.

I'm afraid i'm no good picking presents. Some people you cat please no matter what. it seems it just has to be their choice. For my brother and his wife I finally started doing amazon gift certificates. 

Boost-two weks into the fiasco and no headway. My bill was supposed to be autopaid yesterday and it appears Boost paid it. It's paid but not by me. Some people have filed FCC complaints because they cant get their pin number to leave, Boost told them they cant do it. But when the FCC sends the complaint magically Boost does it. So Boost is lieing to their customers. IF they can fix their systems, this wont end well.

Agreed, the guy needs to relax else send people to trim trees for ya. You spend enough time out in the cold cleaning up and shoveling. They could have crews fulltime just go around and clean up yards in a different area each week. Thats why we pay taxes.

Boost just sent me a text. Says theyre having voicemail issues and to listen to messages press and hold '1'. Thats the way it always has worked. Theyre losing it. I've wondered it maybe the hackers still control their servers.

We used to have a cat but never see it now. Have see a possum a few times. The birds just really never visit the yard. They dont eat the seed or use the birdbath. I'll wait til its warmer and if theyre not using it I'll take them out.

I did move the woodpile away from the house. Bad for pests and the like. Had to put a tarp over it to keep it dry. I made one fire this winter and thats all I'll need.

How nice of the weather to be so generous with snow. Maybe next time instead of 3 inches you'll get .2 inches and even it out. 

Ive had no side effects from drinking my Chai. I guess now that most of my prostate is gone either nothing is getting irritated or I just cant feel it. I have questions for the surgeon. I want to know who the other doctor is listed for the surgery and billing me when he is out of network. Why was my surgeon using an out of network doctor to assist. It not easy to be OON, they have to try really hard. I see the surgeon on the 21st, long drive so will see if we can do it over the phone. Its just the finall followup to make sure I healed ok. Not perfect but doesnt matter cause there's nothing else to do.

My neighbor's wife told me she met a ladt from down the street, who is a real estate agent and does estate sales. Sh specializes in antiques. All the furniture here is antiques so she sounds perfct. Except the neighbors wife cant remember her name and no idea where she lives. The lady said she would leave her card in the mailbox. Gee whiz...she thought I didnt want to be bothered. yes, I'd love to be bothered by someone who can help me. Now I probably will never know who it is.

Oh well, makes life fun. When things start greening up and blooming I'll take some pics and post. take good care of yourself and those two little furry kids.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tachi said:

Agreed, the guy needs to relax

They set an appt, the time comes and there's snow on the ground so they can't inspect your place, let alone do the work.  They have to be done by June (no cutting then). He made another appt. 3/21 and almost guaranteed we'll still have snow then.  We'll be lucky to do this in May, but he said we'll try in April, so annoying but they have deadlines and too many homes to do.  It's covered by a grant, not gov't, this isn't the Forestry dept that threatened us last summer, it's Oakridge Air.

Iris had told me she'd have Kelly stay with Jazzy while she does Mikes service with her family (gone 8 days), so Kodie and Jazzy can continue to play, nope! She changed her mind, is taking Jazzy with her.  That will be hard for Kodie, no play dates. Also his future is up in the air with her as she's having someone come stay with her who has a large dog, or she may move, all uncertain for him and Jazzy's future.

II hope you find out the real estate lady's name!

I heat exclusively with wood heat so keep some wood on the patio in a rack and on the picnic table benches. load the fire about 21 times/week now, it was only 14 but it needs cleaned out and it's way too cold for that, that's what you get when you are delivered junk wood that doesn't hold.  I cleaned it just last month, it should have held me.  That and I have concerns about running out of this year's wood while I still need it.  I also have a wheelbarrow full up on the patio.

Boost sounds like it has serious issues.  I wonder if they're working to fix them?  Did you change your pin after the hack or your card they have on file?  I just had to do that, what a pain notifying everyone!

I would not be happy with them using someone out of network!  UHC told me they don't pay for that, so that's a problem if you travel and have an emergency.  I don't know if regular Medicare kicks in then or not.  For something planned there's no excuse for them to do this.  They used to cover them, just not as well.

I still have no word about the real state lady. Everything is like swimming through molasses, so frustrating. 

Been painting the exterior as much as I can. It's hard on my back and I have real problems concentrating and focusing on one thing for very long. But did almost all of one side today. I think first I will do what I can reach with a regular ladder. Will save the high stuff for after the estate sale and may pay someone to replac some trim too. No word from my brother, no reply on the emails with pics of estate items asking him if he wants them. Guess he doesnt. 

Supposed to rain tomorrow but somehow I doubt it will do much. I'll clean inside for a change.

I wonder if the powers that be realize that if they would wpend a bit more money on cleaning up for people it would help reduce fire risk and save money in the long run. 

Poor Kodie, guess he will have to be content with Momma and Panther. Hope things work out well for him.

Too bad I cant give ya my wood. I made one fire this winter. But it was there if I needed it. Sad they gave you junk wood. That's one thing I fear when i get people to work on the house/yard is hiring scammers. Nextdoor neighbor knows good people so will rely on him. I hope thats not a mistake. 

Along one fenceline theres a carpet of plants, I assume flowers that didnt come up last year. Curious to see the floers and see what they are. My Abelia was really hurt by the winter and has lost 2/3s of its branches. There were 2 small trees left on the opposite and I'm afraid it got them too. But will do the best I can. Its still early but the grass looks terrible, lots of dirt.

Going to jump the gun and start seeds in a couple weeks. 

You do use alot of firewood. But you're heated when others lose electric. Is everyone out there using wood?

There has been no way to take my card off file. They havent had access to that part of the system, or so they claim. I believe they are slowly getting it fixed. My autopay did work properly this time but I need to remove my card from their system. They have no idea how to run a company. I need to shop around.

As I understand the insurance...when an out of network doctor works on you at an in network facility, and you had no prior knowledge and no way to disapprve of him, they must accept the in network amount. That my insurance shows he wasnt paid at all concerns me, but when I called my Ins they said they have no record of him. I dont trust any of them. If that doc ends up billing me he has to wait until the house is sold. All I have now is survival money. I dont think doctors and hospitals care oif something/someone is covered or not. That doc may be his regular assistant or maybe just on rotation. But they should care because if you have to pay full bill it can ruin people. I still fear getting late bills for my Dad's medicals. The system is broken.

Living in dread of my next blood test, sad. I want those numbers to come down so bad so the doctor will leave me alone. But I may just have to tell him we arent doing anything more now. I cant take any otc painkillers and I get headaches sometimes. Need new glasses. 

Did you get more snow? Been sending positive thoughts for an early spring. Take good care and stay warm.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tachi said:

Is everyone out there using wood?

Not everyone, but a lot.  Most have wood stoves but also backup, not me.

4 hours ago, Tachi said:

If that doc ends up billing me he has to wait until the house is sold.

Actually if he bills you, turn it in to your insurance.  If they haven't heard of him they don't have any record in their system and have not received his bill would be my assumption.  I wouldn't accept that.  The medical personnel had to know all this before doing the surgery yet never let you know.  It concerns you!

As for the phone, can you not go online and remove your stored card?  Mine had fraudulent activity on it so I had to do this several places, most pay ahead a month so that'd give you one month to find another company.

4 hours ago, Tachi said:

Poor Kodie, guess he will have to be content with Momma and Panther. Hope things work out well for him.

Yesterday I took him to Jazzy's to see she's not there...I pointed out their car is gone, he still didn't want to believe me, wagging his tail at their door.  Again I told him they're gone and I let him run around and sniff, then took him home.  It was so sad but I explained they'd be back in a few days.  I hope he gets that.

Today I'm getting my hair cut and will leave early to take him to the park, he loves all the dog smells.  Still have snow here although a lot melted, not directly north of the carport or house though, or by my car near the road and none of the backyard has melted. More coming next week...

I guess they're coming to assess my land next week.  They only remove up to 6" diameter tree so that lets mine out, but I don't know about bushes.  Honestly, I hate to see any of mine done that I have left.  I'd honestly rather have Jack do it even though paying for it, but I want to know their assessment.  I know they don't know what it was like before though.

If you have United Healthcare Advantage, they'll cover you for glasses (loose term as you still pay), if diabetes in record, they'll do once a year, otherwise every two years.  I'll probably get new ones in a few months...

Wishing you well my friend.

That medical bill is strange. I see it on the Ins website yet they told me they dont see it. I will see the surgeon Tuesday and will ask him to verify who that doctor is and if he understand it.

We got a cold front. A little over an inch of rain, some wind, hail and a tornado to the east. Tuesday it's supposed to warm up and then I think we will have Spring. I plan on starting to sow seed Wednesday. And I'll go back to painting the outside. I got a 12 foot pole and a paint pad for the end so I can paint the eaves without getting on a ladder. But there is some wood that needs patching so I will save that til after the state sale and hire someone. I dont think I need be way high on a ladder.

Phone, you cant remove the autopay or card online. I 'think' i can do that through calling customer service now. Supposedly they have their system up again. Theyve reportedly been doing some shady things. Like people pay with their card and dont ask for autopy and it automatically puts them on autopay anyway. 

Poor Kodie, he must be wondering where his friend went. hope it works out for him. I guess smells are very important for cats and dogs, never thought about that before.

I need a haircut as well. Want to go to Dad's old barber, hope he's still in business. How did yours turn out? Mom always got hers cut by the same lady and she always came home giggling. I guess she and Courtney would have a good time.

When these guys come and cut trees do they really know whats healthy for the tree or are they just a bunch of yahoos cutting branches? Six inches seems kinda small. At least theyre helping somewhat I guess. Hope it does some good.

Wow, still snow. I have to keep remembering where you live and that your winter keeps going for awhile. 

Im going to finish with the medical people, take a deep breath and start getting ready for the estate sle. The big 'IF' is trying to find someone who will do the sle with me in the house. 

Hope your snow isnt too much. Spring needs to get up there soon. I need to get super motivated. We shall see.

Take good care, when warmer weather hits I'll try and send some north.

• Like 1

We're supposed to get a ton of snow later this week, not looking forward to it.

Mostly I think the defensible space people are measuring, reporting, maybe cutting small stuff, not sure it'll help, but I already had Jack do a lot, we'll see.  I like my place as it is.  They may want to cut the mahogany and Photinia back, IDK.  We'll see.

Haircut okay, usually looks it's best in between haircuts, it takes a couple of weeks to settle down then looks okay a couple of weeks and then I can't do anything with it the next couple of weeks.

I'm supposed to get snow every day this week, need to take my car in this afternoon for an oil change.  Maybe rotate tires, IDK. Code says to but I'm not so sure, put snow tires on six months ago, haven't driven much the last few months.  So not sure what it's going by.

13 hours ago, Tachi said:

Like people pay with their card and dont ask for autopy and it automatically puts them on autopay anyway. 

Now that would make me mad!  I had someone do that and they took payment right away instead of the next month when it was do so I told them to get it off autopay!  They don't tell you these things up front either.

Kodie knows they leave sometimes for a week, this time it's longer but he doesn't know what day it is, he's okay.  I got a lot of scabs off his neck/back area from Jazzy biting him.  I hate that she does that, esp, when we first come over, she carries him in her mouth and gets too rough on him.  I have to get onto her but she doesn't listen, even if he cries out.
Yes he's missing her big time.

It poured rain last night, I mean we were deluged with it!  It woke me up.

How much snow did you get? Hope it wasnt too bad. We are finally into Spring with 60s and 70s. I planted seed and am working on painting. 

Ive had Photinia before I think, nice. Never had mahogany. Love the wood, makes nice looking things. Sounds like they dont actually do much helpfull with the trees. Hopefully you've made em happy already. I wonder if they have guidelines, and they check everyone and write up their reports on how ready they are.

Snow tires...havent ever had to have em. Only been a few times I needed em. Forgot about em actually. But theyre a way of life for many. 

Do you get lots of rain come Spring/end of winter? I figured up there you did but not sure. When we hit summer you cant buy a rain cloud. I'm just hoping I have a lawn. 

Talked to bro and we're going to do a video call so he can see some of the things in the estate. I still need to sell the ring and that will really help with the mortgage and bills. 

Going for my bloodtest next week to see what my liver enzymes are doing. If those two havent gone down (ast and alt) then he wants a biopsy but I am going to wait until the estate is done. Of course if theyve really shot up then i may have to do it. Just really need everything to be normal so I can get out of this medical spiral. I'm eating pretty clean, drinking some coffee and lots of water. Feel good. Shoulder healing slowly. Just need to stop being lazy and get some more exercise. Altho I did paint for a few hours. 

Aw poor Kodie. That pup deserves the best. I think he is your angel. 

Hope your weather is clear and warm. And things get dull and boing. I like my life quiet. 

When people come around does Panther go hide, or just get somewhere high and watch?

Take good care.

I've had 26" in three days, heavy wet sludge, more to shovel. More coming.

Mahogany trees are wonderful, green year around, fire resistant, hardy beautiful trees.  Mine grows to the ground and is as tall as the house.

We don't get rain in the summer but in winter (which is long here, it went into mid May last year) lots of snow, but yes, some rain in between.  One good thing about rain is you don't have to shovel it!

Their assessment went well, will remove some small stuff, not much, not until May.  Personally, I can do without their help.  He did write up and had me sign waiver then left the clipboard here, so notified him, he said he'd be out 1 1/2 weeks, would get it when he's back.

Usually Panther hides from people but when my grandson was here last fall, he let him pet him briefly (he was five) so I told him what an honor that was!  He even disappeared from cat lady across the street when she came!  (She does cat rescue, mostly ferals).  She has a house totally for cats and she lives in the Yurt next door.

Kodie and Jazzy had so much fun playing in the snow the last couple of days! They LOVE it!  

Something about your brother wanting to look at video of valuables to state what he wants while YOU do all the work, doesn't set right with me.  Seems it should all be sold and split the proceeds after expenses paid, that's what was done with my sisters although the kids still haven't seen a penny of anything and the house sold Jan. 6.  I don't understand how/why it can take 2 1/2 months and STILL nothing but a breach of all our information at the lawyer's office!

Praying for you and hoping with you...

yea, I hate that bro cant get his butt in gear. I get where he's at. he cant remember what things are. Whether he wants a memento or three of the folks or he just wants the valuabl things. Whatever h keeps will have its value deducted from his share. He 'thought' he was just going to be abl to claim all the most expensive items then we split the rest. thats not 50/50 and not fair. I also remind him how expensive shipping will be. I wont be paying to send anything else. Cant afford it. If he drags his feet too much it will end up he misses out on everything. 

I've often wished i had a small house with a big back yard. Now I want some mahogany in it. I'd spend my life building my garden. Lots of juniper and a couple pine and monkey grass and such. But is only a dream.

Your snow is crazy. Do you ever get used to it? Winters there get so much moisture. Guess thats why you have so much foliage.

Nextdoor neighbor got their new roof today. The roofer came over and I asked him to look at mine. he showed me pictures. I have alot of hail damage and wind damage. He showed me shingled that were no longer nailed down. he could just lift them up. So we decided I would try and get a new roof. I started a claim with my insurance. I have State farm and he said they are notoriously bad about approving roof claims. So, worst case they dont approve it and we forget it. When the roof doesnt pass the buyes inspection I'll discount the house price by their deductible to get a new roof IF their Ins company will do it. I can in no way ever afford a roof. Oh, oof guy showed me pics and says it looks like something big scratched my shingles. And it does, like a large animal or bird scratched claws across the singles. Mother nature must have been mad.

Things just keep getting better and better. My GI doctor's office didnt give me a work order for the lab, which they have to have. i called the docs office yesterday and asked but no call back yet. I'm so tired of this constant hassle I'm so tempted to just forget it.

Anyway, going to go do some reading for a bit. I've neglected it for awhile. take good care of youself. Hopefully your weather will co-operate but I wouldnt bet on it.

• Like 1

Picked up some branches in the yard but hard with so much snow, can't get into Kodie's fence as too slippery at my age right now, will have to wait until Spring and we have a lot more snow coming and lasting a week and beyond. Two weeks to file taxes and she hasn't done them yet, she's had them a month. Watch, they'll call as soon as we get more snow in.

I wonder how old the roof is? It's amazing it's not leaking.

I hear you on the doctor. Very annoying when they don't do their job! Wow, esp. not even calling you back.

I'm not looking forward to catching up doctor's appts. when Spring comes, ugh. 

I wouldn't even worry about your brother. He can get his half when all is said and done.  And you should be getting something for your time. I wish you could have your small house with the yard...

The roof was replaced in 2011 after the fire. I dont know if I ever told you about that. It was mid summer and hot. dad had some peat moss and mulch in a big bag left on the side of the house. It was wet from the sprinklers and in the heat it combusted. Took the tool shed and the gas in the mower and gascan went up. It passed the brick and went into the attic. dad I dont think could smell but Mom did. he didnt believe her at first but she insisted. Fire marshall said a few more minutes and the house and them would have been gone. State farm was really good to them. Put them in a nice hotel dad said they spent almost as much fixing it as it cost in the first place.

Roofer said roofs need be replaced every 8-10 years and after 15 years theyre losing value. The adjuster from Insurance is coming wednesday and the roofer will be here so they can talk it out. From what the roofer says I need a new roof bad so hoping my Ins comes through. 

Sounds like you're all snowed in. Thats alot of snow for march it seems. be careful. I used to love the snow and cold. Not so much anymore.

I havent filed taxes in a few years...no income. When we have the estate sale Im not sure how to do that. technically its estate. But wasnt planning on filing estate taxes. The rule I believe is if it sells for more than you paid for it or inherited it at you pay taxes on that increase. same on the house when it sells. I'll be getting with the taxman next year.

Tomorrow bro and I will do a facetime call si he can see what the things look like he was interested in. I guess he cant be bothered looking at the pics I sent in email. Im sure he will want to see it all and know how much its all worth and want all the expensive things. He still has to pay shipping and it still comes out of his share. He keeps pushing me to keep things. I keep telling him I dont want anything. Good thing I dont care anymore. I dont like nor want to have an estate sale, or house sale, move, find an apt, job. But there is no choice and time is running out.

So I have a curiousity. What kind of music did you folks like and I assume listen to now. What did you grow up with? 

Just skyped with bro, went well. I showed them everything and will put back what they want. he's thinking of having a freight company crate and ship it out. Thats will be expensive. 

I started cleaning house today. I always think things wont take much time and then find out otherwise.

Think i'll watch an old western. Take good care of yourself and be carefull with that snow.

7 hours ago, Tachi said:

if it sells for more than you paid for it or inherited it at you pay taxes on that increase.

Not sure how that'll work with the nine kids inheriting my sister's house. I thought you didn't pay if it's under a certain amount ($200,000?)  not sure.  There's won't be a lot, maybe $20,000, not sure. 

7 hours ago, Tachi said:

Roofer said roofs need be replaced every 8-10 years

A good roof should last longer than that. I've known people had theirs for 25 years with no damage. Need checked/cleaned every year. If you let it go to moss, that's a big destroyer.  Mine is nine years old now but I keep an eye on it and have it cleaned/treated every year.  Have replaced mine every 18 years.  Yours should not be coming up like that, wasn't put on right if you ask me.

My dad liked old country but my mom got mad and destroyed all his records (low blow, shows her temper) and it was very impacting to him/us.  Put a light out for him, so to speak. I liked Beetles, Beach Boys, etc. when young, then Christian Country, but George was very eclectic in his taste, Rock/Country/Classical/Blues/Raggae, you name it, everything but Rap and Acid Rock.  I loved his taste but for the rock, not into that much. Never was into head-banging.

7 hours ago, Tachi said:

Think i'll watch an old western.

OMG, I haven't done that in years! I loved the old westerns!  Been years since I've watched one, for one thing I can't sit still that long w/o falling asleep! :D Rarely watch movies.

Praying for you and your health and getting through this.  You've done so much already, I hope you're keeping track of your hours on all this, even haggling with your brother, you should be paid by the hour from the estate, I am serious!

Im going to just talk to the taxman next year and let him sort it out. Ive read differing things online so a grain of salt.

Hope your snow wasnt bad. We're going between 50s and 80s so its kind of crazy. I'd love some rain but will believe it when I see it.

Insurance is going to pay for a new roof. The roofer is taking good care of me and we're finnagling a few things and it ends up my deductible will be almost covered and he's forgiving the rest. So I wont pay a thing.

Yesterday and today i cleaned the sludge out of the gutters. Today my neighbor helped me trim all the branches near the roof plus some dead ones. I bundled 11 big bundles of branches. It looks alot better. Why there are four trees right next to the house I dont know. I hope the roots aren't messing with the foundation.

From what the roofguy says Texas is very hard on roofs. heat in summer, freezing winter and storms. I have no idea. I do think that its good t have a roof checked if you get a wind or hail storm. three of us had loose and damaged shingles and didnt know. I think the shingles on mine were defective. They look like they were raked by a creature. The asphalt came off in the ssme place on almost all. The ins adjuster was asking what happened, he hasnt seen that before.

Sounds like George had some good music. What your mom did was cruel. Guess she didnt like his music. he probably had some music that couldnt be replaced. When I lived in west Texas I came home one Christmas. The apartment only had a window unit. The super ran it during the day but not at night. The pipes burst, all my revcords on the floor were ruined.

Most of the time when I watch a movie im doing something else. I'm bad at being productive yet feel guilty devoting time to watch a movie. Alot of modern movies I just dont like. the ones that are 'remakes' of older movies I usually cant watch. the original is better.

I'm going to keep doing the Vit-E and Milk Thistle just to be safe. And wont take any Tylenol or aspirin. I do wonder if those enzymes went down but not curious enough to spend 200 bucks. That couple hundred will pay for a guy to patch and paint the roof trims. 

We did a facetime call the other day and my bro and wife picked some things to keep. he is going to end up taking the very large print and a spinning wheel grandpa made and his old chest.  He has no room for any of it and it will be expensive to have shipped. But its his money. I pray there comes a point where the estate is finished and i'm in a safe apartment and I can breath again.

Take good care of yourself. Hopefully the snow stays away for a few weeks. 

• Like 1

My brother is the executor of Peggy's estate, all he had to do was keep track of his hours/activity and bill the estate for it. It'd be worth your while.  He made special trips to Oakridge to mow her lawn, pick up records, hired an estate company and junk haulers, etc.

Tuesday was bad, I had to shovel 11 1/2" in one day!  That's a lot. Going to snow this upcoming week and my taxes are STILL not done, they don't return my calls, give me an idea WHEN and it's out of town!  I'm beyond livid, they've had them 5 1/2 weeks!  Next year will have to file with somewhere else but I can't believe they're doing this, she comes in after 10, does not stay late or work weekends.  Unreal.  Even filing an extension would require me going out of town!

5 hours ago, Tachi said:

Insurance is going to pay for a new roof.

This is beyond wonderful!!  So good to hear!

5 hours ago, Tachi said:

Yesterday and today i cleaned the sludge out of the gutters. Today my neighbor helped me trim all the branches near the roof plus some dead ones.

Even stuff like this should be billed to the estate.  Is your brother doing anything?  NO!  It's you doing it all!  You should get something for it.

My mom was cruel.  I grew up in a very dysfunctional home with a LOT of abuse from her.  It was insane!  It's amazing us kids turned out well, but no thanks to my parents.  No one shielded us.  My heart goes out to that huge family of kids that abused them, they're now serving time for it.  Thankfully no incest but OMG the horrid beatings and craziness!

We're set to spread Peggy and Bert's ashes April 15. Hoping and praying no snow that day!  Will have to talk to the neighbor about how to get into the container he made for Bert's ashes.

I know-estate...I had a talk with the second attorney about taking compensation as estate manager. He pointed out that legally the house is mine and there is no estate. But in reality my bro and I are going to split 50/50. An odd setup. I did it this way so there wouldnt be arguing and a deadlock as far as selling the house. I might be stuck unable to sell and unable to afford mortgage and bills. My great fear is going broke and becoming homeless. 

Ive read that it is expected to keep the utilities on in the house until it sells and the mortgage must be paid as well. Dad left some money for that purpose and I've been using it. I had planned on all this being done by now. Unfortunately, due mostly to unplanned health problems, I'm still here. What I will do is pay myself back for all expenses related to fixing/maintaining the yard and house. Once we have the estate sale those funds will be needed to fix a couple things like a leak in the sprinkler system. And the couple hundred I'm about to spend to have the roof trim patched and painted. There are other expenses that I will also ned that money for. I have no clue how much we will make off the estate sale. But if there is enough I will use some of it to help pay bills. 

We have beautifull weather this week. highs in the 70s and 50s at night. Trying to send some warm winds that way.

What I dont want is him getting a foot in the door as far as a say in things. Ideally he would be paying half of everything. But he isnt that way. He doesnt understand that I know how he is. Anyway, am and have been and will be under constant stress until this is all over. I am not fooled into thinking I can find work in this new field. The proceeds from the estate will have to keep me afloat until I find a job. I'll be on SS and whatever work pays enough. No one wants to hire a 65 or 66 year old guy. And surgery took me down a peg or two. My bro asked me if I was completely healed. I explained the surgical stuff is healed but that plus sitting on my butt half a year has really hurt me and i have to get in shape again. Doing some things are difficult now that werent before surgery. So instead of being normal I feel old. I can understand now how several surgeries can age a person quite a bit and even incapacitate them. 

Taxes-I wonder if she is late filing yours if she will let the Irs know its her fault and pay the penalty. Maybe you can file for an extension on your own.  I understand what to do with taxes on the house sale. but not the estate sale, since there's no estate. But that company has to collect and file sales tax. I believe it would still be pay tax on increase in sale price over original cost. No way of knowing the original costs. I'll be sitting down with dads tax man once tax season is over. 

Wow, thats alot of snow. Sorry you're stuck with that. please be careful.

Considering the environment you turned out a good person. Im sorry for what you endured. I dont imagin spreading ashes will be easy. Emotional and all. Hoping all goes well.

Have a good week and maybe the snow wont be too bad. Take care

IMG_1305.jpg

• Like 1

I didn't know the house was legally yours, that may complicate things tax wise.  You are very kind to your brother.

I had a day from hell yesterday, got up 2 am and no internet, wanted to tend my diabetic and grief groups, nope!  Spent all morning on the phone with my provider, basically they acted like it was something on my end, yeah with the same equipment for 15 years, you bet! Found out today what it was, something with their modem, the Spectrum guy found it when he installed their equipment.  Unfortunately they ported my landline phone number to a cellphone that has yet to be delivered and gave my landline a new number, there goes my number of 46 years!  But at least I have internet and phone back and tomorrow hopefully a cell phone with my old number on it.  Will have to figure out how to set it up and use it, I'm cellphone illiterate after years of not having one at home.

Yesterday woke up sick with Iris' virus, snow on the ground and snowing, no internet, a day from hell, seriously, on phone with Viasat all morning and Spectrum all afternoon.  Today Amazon delivered my (florescent) LED bulbs for my kitchen and they don't work so have to hang around tomorrow for UPS and Fed Ex.  Will walk Kodie early and take him to Jazzy's late.  I had to get the Viasat equipment off the roof, it was snowing, what a nightmare!  I don't like on the roof when I feel good!  Let alone yesterday.  Got it done and waiting for them to send a pick up for it.  Lord knows when that will be.

II got my taxes last Friday I think, took her 5 1/2 weeks, will not go to her again.  Called their office and requested someone else so basically it's like starting from scratch next year, but found out from my neighbor the other gal did hers in 2 1/2 weeks, and a friend dropped hers off on a Thurs. and had them back on Mon., both are acceptable to me.

Thank you for sending a picture of the flowers, beautiful!  Have a good week!

Way I see it mainly isnt being kind to my brother, but fulfilling the wishes of my parents. No matter the circumstances of being given this, I have it. people cant seem to understand that it is extremely important to me to do this properly. I discussed many things with dad and he agreed that my ideas were fair. 

As far as I know i would pay tax on the increase in value of the home when i sell it. I dont know if theres a certain amount I am forgiven. I'll consult with the tax man and take care of that from the sale proceeds and do it right away. It costs several hundred to hire someone to determine value as of when the house passed. I think the same for selling the estate things. pay tax on increase in value. Except only idea of item value is Insurance valuations from 1980ish. Again, I will consult the tax man. I asked him on the things I'd already sold if I need to do anything and he said no. So we shall see.

Sounds like you should have stayed in bed, sounds horrible. If your equipment is 15 years old then they should be fired, every one of them. They should have put in new equipment long ago and periodically. Even the phone company will change out old wires to the pole when they find old stuff. This is why when I get a vacation i dont want to go anywhere. I just want to stay home and have nothing bas happen.

How are you feeling? is that virus better? Some nice hot tea with lemon and honey. I started having a cup of green tea every morning. Good stuff.

yeay for your taxes. Wonder what they were thinking. Yep, time to change tax people. 

We havent had time for the new seed to do much. I always want to jump the gun. Truth is it probably wont do much til next year. My wish is that whoever buys thehouse gets alot of flowers in a year or two, are amazed and really enjoy the yard. This house was very special to my folks. Bigger than what they had wanted but they fell in love with it.

How are Kodie and the lil kitty doing? Ok, the big panther. 

have a better weekend and take care

• Like 1

It was so stressful!  Getting cellphone today. Everywhere I go to, Amazon, banks, no one will let me update the phone numbers.  It's nuts but I'll have to call everyone, very time consuming.  Will wait until I get my cellphone set up as they may want to verify through text.  My landline number may have changed, but I HAVE INTERNET!  Yay!  And it's so nice not to have to go to bed at 7 to get up between 2 & 3 to tend my Diabetic and Grief groups because it's free until 5 am!  It still seems surreal that I have unlimited data, it will take some time to sink in.  
Still waiting for Viasat to send a pick up for their equipment.

So glad I've been here over the years as the guy thought my crawl space was sealed off, I showed him the back entrance and also that the front one merely has a board slid over it that can easily be removed, it was there because when Arlie was in the pen he dented in the skirting so animals/mice could get in under the house but it's easily removed.  Also I knew the answers to all of the questions, someone else would not know the history of this place, who we've had for previous providers and where the cable for it was, etc.  He made use of some of it and the rest he rewired.

Kodie and Panther are doing well.  Kodie enjoyed the 3 1/2" of snow day before yesterday but it's gone now, Panther is happy about that!  I can't believe how quickly it comes and goes!

I called the tax place and told them I like Jeannie but find 5 1/2 weeks unacceptable and asked if I can see Linda next year and named my two friends that used her with quick results.  They said I just need to schedule an appt. next year to set it up and I can use anyone I want. ;)

7 hours ago, Tachi said:

This is why when I get a vacation i dont want to go anywhere. I just want to stay home and have nothing bas happen

Haha, sounds like me!  I am a complete homebody anymore!  Of course with no one to go anywhere with me, it's not the same as when George was alive.

Spreading my sister and BIL's ashes tomorrow.  I had my neighbor get Bert's ashes out of the cremation box and into a cardboard box for easy spreading, let him have the beautiful box back that he made so he can pass it on to someone who needs it in the future, he did a beautiful job with it!

The scattering went okay, 18 of us, Mick's kids were all nice (never knew aside from FB) everyone there but Dana and Jordan. Disappointed in Julie, I spoke a bit about Peggy, who everyone knew and loved, but when I shared about Bert, he was my brother for 50 years, the one person I could count on...I shared three instances he was there for me, he had a heart of gold, just a rough exterior, and I heard Julie disgustingly muttering loudly and shaking her head, it was pure hate and very disrespectful.  It shook me so bad I forgot to mention his accepting the Lord two weeks before he died, which I'd wanted to tell about. :( Oh well, God knows, and Peggy too, and I too will always cherish him in my heart.

• Sad 1

I can never understand such hate in people. Way I see it all problems and enmities from this life end when that person passes. That you speak so highly of him tells me all I need to know. Sorry that happened. You have it right, God knows the man he was. In the end of things that's what matters. That he was such a good friend for so long...is something that is getting rarer these days. 

Do you still have snow? Is it warming up at all? We are 70 today and very nice. I need to find an excuse to be outside. Tuesday I get the new roof. Excited for that to be over with. Will be happy once the Ins company makes their next payment and I can pay the roofers. 

Trying to get myself to go through the estate things one last time. Brother is dragging his feet as always. The property value here was increased again. With my exemption it can only be increased 10%, and they did. The market value they assigned it is way over what it could sell for. These are the things my bro knows nothing about when he tries to get me to stay. e is better off not speaking when he has no idea whats going on. Theyre supposed to give us a break on property taxes so maybe theyre jacking up prices so that after the break they still get plenty of income. 

How are food prices there? Beef here is silly high. I can get ground beef for $6 - 8 a pound but anything else is too high for me. I mostly get ground turkey and chicken breasts in a big pack get down to 3 - 4 bucks a pound. 

Still nothing from the GI Doctor, I give up. We're headed into my crazy time, roof, estate sale, finding a new place to live. 

Just curious if you folks have a kiddie pool? saw something on TV where the dogs were playing in this person's kiddie pool. I pictured Kodie romping thru it and Panther sitting on the edge pawing at the water, lol. The last cat I had wouldnt get in the water but wanted to sit on the edge of the tub and paw at it. I was always afraid he would fall in. 

isnt it amazing that Bert accepted the Lord 2 weeks before. There was definitely work going on there. More than I would ever understand. My dad told me one time that his sister tried to talk to him about Jesus. Dad laughed.

Hope you have a good week. I think I'll make some tacos tonight. Take good care.

• Like 1

Everything has gone up, dog treats up about four times as much since Alpo discontinued our favorites.  Not only beef, but everything has gone sky high!  I don't see them raising soc. sec. to cover it. And the price of gas! The west coast is higher, not sure why.

You have the roofers coming Tues., I have Spectrum.  I'll be glad if/when everything is normal.  Haggled with Spectrum hours every day Tues.-Fri, even some Sat. after scattering ashes, it's insane! I have met so many dimwits at their facility! A couple decent ones. Didn't know this switch would be a fulltime job!

Snow in front of carport and behind it from coming off the roof, more coming. Predicted last night but too warm. Today through Thursday. but not a lot.

Jazzy has a kiddie pool but Kodie won't go in it.  Like his big brother, Arlie. ;)  Jazzy LOVES hers!

14 hours ago, Tachi said:

My dad told me one time that his sister tried to talk to him about Jesus. Dad laughed.

How sad.  I only hope he made a deathbed conversion. For Bert, Peggy and I saw his countenance change.  Whatever the rest of the family thinks, I knew him better than they did, I knew him thoroughly.  Yes he could have a gruff exterior, and was loud until he got his hearing aids. But a marshmallow for a heart.  After I got Kodie, he was maybe six pounds at the time, I took him to Bert first, and as he held him, a tear escaped down his face.  I miss him, a lot. So many stories I could tell about him!

Tacos sounds wonderful. Sat. before we scattered ashes we went to The Campfire, a local restaurant and I had a Keto Taco. It was amazing!  I had 1/2 then and the rest for dinner!  So good, the shell was made of cheese, all crisp and perfect!  A friend owns the restaurant and she's an amazing cook and artist! Her SO is a good friend of my son's, he has a gun shop behind the restaurant, he bought Bert's guns the night before Peggy died, it's what we used to pay for her cremation.  The kids still haven't gotten any $ from the estate. Don't know what in the world the judge is waiting on, the house sold Jan. 6!

Wishing you well with the roof. My house roofer (won't use again) put all the roofing tiles in one spot and it made my window crack, it's getting worse.  Way too much weight, keep an eye out for that!

Snowed during the night, more to come. 
Spent all day on the phone with Viasat and Spectrum, still trying to get my landline ported, appt changed to Thursday, still hasn't been given the go ahead in spite of all my efforts.
Viasat billed me for the entire month AFTER equipment taken down at their direction a week ago. I told them to remove my visa on autopay as they made it so I couldn't, they told me I'd get turned over to collections, I have a perfect credit score and they are ripping me off?!  Not sure what to do about it.  There's a principle involved.  Still haven't sent the box for my equipment to be sent back! Remember, they made me get up on the roof in a snowstorm last Tuesday! They took my ACP payment so Spectrum's bill doesn't have it to offset it. Tried calling ACP twice and they hung up without listening to me at all.
 One day at a time, praying....

I'm getting a roof today. Didnt sleep much and woke up before my alarm. Very loud, but nowhere to go. Be very glad when its over. parts of the roof hve three layers of felt and parts have one. Going to be a long day. Guess it seems odd to them but I dont want to stand out in the yard and watch. have an upset stomach today. first time in forever and probably because of coffee each day and tacos last night. Back to behaving myself. Coffee has been my indulgence and something of a return to normalcy. But there has to be a new normalcy and quit hanging on to the old one.

Viasat - I think depends on what their terms of service say. Do they require cancellation notice 30 days in advance? They 'shouldnt' bill you for a new service period after cancellation. They wouldnt prorate for a partial service period but 'should' not bill you for a period after cancellation. Did they refuse to take your card off of autopay? And you cancelled their service? You might have a talk with a banker and see what the suggest. You could also file a complaint with the State Atty General's Office. Sometimes that wakes em up. You could file a complaint with the BBB. And if the local news has a consumer rights program you could contact them. There are probably other regilatory agencies like maybe the FCC that you could file a complaint with. And https://www.consumerfinance.gov/. I would say just see what the contract says first. For example if the contract was for a year and you cancelled after 11 months they'll bill for that last month. 

Patience

My neighbuor was up early watching the roofers. I know nothing about it so will be inside today. I'm sure he will be watching them some and making sure they do it right. 

Hang in there. You need some warm temperatures and some peace and quiet. Take care.

2 hours ago, Tachi said:

Coffee has been my indulgence and something of a return to normalcy.

Me too, my last vice, I may have to give it up because of my diabetes as it can raise blood sugar, but oh gosh I don't want to!  It's my one indulgence!  But my BS was 95 this morning so not today!

They took my card off but said I'd be turned over to collections so I paid it today but it angers me, I'm getting billed from BOTH companies this month, fully, and the first one I HAD NO INTERNET and the guy from India TOLD me when I canceled to remove the equipment and they'd send a shipment box & label...now they won't for a month!  Their way of ripping me off. :angry2: I will plaster this on social media so everyone knows what heels they are!  Not that anyone else has them in this area.  All these years as a faithful customer...I don't see how they live with themselves!  And no one told me any of this, not way back then or when I canceled!  I went up on the roof at age 70 in a snowstorm to remove the equipment as he said, thinking it'd be any day they'd pick it up.

They cite their "policy" which I was not appraised of when signing up, that was back in the days when you didn't get someone from India, you got their office with real people not AI.  "Policies" can have exceptions made to them, they are not LAW!  The whole way they treated me, I TOLD the guy I couldn't do it Saturday as my family was coming from all over the state to spread my sister and BIL's ashes, yet STILL he left the appt. on the books and I had to cancel it later when I found out about it!  I thought that the extreme in insensitivity.  I will be glad to be done with them!

Got a call from Spectrum and they have the old phone companies permission to port my landline number so it looks like the appt. is on for Thursday.

I shoveled my whole driveway this morning so they have access here, will have to keep it up until then!

My heart goes out to you with getting the roof put on, I know it to be noisy and feel invasive, I had five roofs put on inside as many years, two of them didn't hold, and one leaked all over my ceiling.  The other two I had done by the best.  Wishing you the best with it!  Try to relax as much as you can, with the hammering.  Is it a composition roof?

Well the roof is done, looks very nice and only took them 6 or 7 hours. Not too bad. I think its asphalt shingles. Whatever it had is what they used. Supposed to have the trim guy come by tomorrow and will get an estimate on fixing/painting the upper trim. Some is rotted and some just needs patching and it all needs painting. I'm not real happy going on a high ladder these days so will see if I can afford it and then will be paid back after the estate sale. I hate spending the money, I hate it. Might just get an estimate if its alot and have it done after the estate sale. Thats why the prospective real estate agent wont like me...there wont be alot of money to do things etc.

Somehow managed to sprain my right wrist and i'm right handed. Physically i'm at rock bottom. Seems my muscles are so so weak theyre starting to sprain easily.

wow, the trim guy came by to look at the roof gables that need fixing and the painting up high. I was asking for an estimate. Then the roofer calls me to remind me he is paying for that and I wont pay anything. They have really taken care of me. 

We had some rain last night. Some places had hail and a tornado or two. I dont think anyone was hurt. maybe my grass will grow but I doubt it.

Alot of companies today just care about money and not customers. they dont want employees making exceptions, just to follow 'policy' But although there should be some policy that is untouchable there should be most of it as a guideline with wiggle room. Their sytems are designed by fallible humans and there will be errors and situations that arent covered. Its far more important to take care of customers than it is to follow policy. Unfortunately it also depends on the quality of the people they hire and 'train'. 

You could try writing them a letter and send it so they hav to sign it. If what theyre doing is according to a contract or written agreement then you will be stuck unlss a real persin fixes it. I ran into similar things after Dad passed and trying to get some things like his newspaper subscription cancelled. You may need to keep after them, send letters, file complaints. 

Well, supposedly today the trim guy will do his thing. Then all I'd have is a second coat of paint on the gutters and downspouts and the exterior is done. Have to start cleaning inside and going over items one last time. Im lining up some things to skype with bro and his wife and let them pick. I keep giving him a timeframe. estate sale done no later than July and start selling house by end september. The trick will be renting without a job and finding an apt as I sell so I'm not in a hotel. 

Take good care. scrtch kodie's ears for me.