Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Mom

Thinking of you Scott, hoping you are doing okay.
I burned myself severely Friday.  It hurts like the dickens.  I was making Peanut Butter Fat Bombs, and you bring the brown sweetener and butter to a boil and stir it 6-8 min until like caramel, then remove from stove and stir in peanut butter...the Dermatologist office called, I was waiting for my biopsy results and they do not answer the phone or return your call same day so I answered, when I got back to it, it was burned and smoke billowing up. I picked up the handle and put it in the sink...the burned caramel literally jumped out of the pan and onto my palm and finger. I have bad blisters on it, esp. a large one on my palm. I kept it under running water for about a half hour, then iced it the rest of the day. I've been icing it off/on since. I put some burn medicine on it and wrapped it, changed the dressing twice yesterday and again today. I'm worried it'll get infected once the blisters pop. I'm going to try to get in to the doctor tomorrow. Have not felt up to going anywhere, way too much pain! Missed my church's Christmas party last night and their Christmas program today.
Oh and yes, I have skin cancer, they made an appt. for 12/20 but she'd told me it could wait a month or so, I'm thinking of calling back and changing it so I don't have to deal with that at the same time, but on the other hand, it'd be good to get them both over with...

• Sad 1

Oh my goodness, hope its feeling better. If you can make the appt maybe they can help with the burn. You need  doctor where you can call and tell them what happened, they write a script and the pharmacy can next day it to you. I have wondered how many people get some form of skin cancer later in life. Seems very common. Be good to get that done.

I dont sleep well. Still drinking alot of water so am up several times at night. Plus its hard to sleep on my back. The incisions seem healing faster inside than out. I have to be patient. Otherwise I feel very unmotivated. I cant do physical things but I should be reading and get back to studies. 

Last week we got some rain and yesterday we got a little rain. Today is overcast and 50s so I'm enjoying a mug of cocoa. Been checking food labels and looking at fats, good and bad and total. Most of the store made baked goods have too many bad fats. So i'm thinking if I find the right mix and substitute a lowfat or healthier oil like olive....will see. 

Havent heard anything from my brother. guess he is busy. I'm thinking talk with estate sale company next month and have sale in february. Then I can decide what repairs etc to have done on the house. My SS starts January, finally got the notice in the mail. I had forgotten they deduct the cost of Medicare from the SS payment each month, one less thing to do.

Did your snow ever melt off or is it still Winter Wonderland?

Was supposed to have my virtual appt w/ doctor friday but she had called in so will do that this Friday. I have been doing research on the markers on the tests. For the low red and white bloodcells I started folic acid and iron pills and got back on my B-12. I have to remember that my metabolism has been almost nothing since Sept. Ive had almost no exercise at all and tremendous stress. 

Im thinking my liver went bad from my diet and too many bad fats and oils. Exercise and better diet hopefully fix that. Guessing alot of the numbers tie into each other. Fatty liver and cholesterol and phosphatase. 

Then urologist the next tuesday and hope that goes well and I'll leave the medical people alone for a few months. I want out of the system. I have so many things to do. 

Is Kodie and Panther excited for Christmas? This is probably Panther's first one to celebrate with a family. Hope you get to see yours for Christmas. I'm hoping for peace and quiet.

My other nextdoor neighbor hadnt been home for awhile. very nice older couple. The guy on the other side of me said she went into the hospital and then a home. he stayed with her the entie time. But now they are home. Very thankful for that. When Dad took his fall and couldnt help him build the fence between the backyards Mr Ruiz said no problem and built it himself. Nice man. Anyway, I know theyre happy to be home, esp for Christmas. 

Do you have a Christmas tree up? Do you usually have one? natural or fake? I had always thought it would be nice to have one growing in the backyard in front of the breakfast room window. The difference between me and my brother is he likes the fancy glittery loud decoration. I would rather just have a tree with a string of plain lights. The tree is beautifull enough on its own. But thats just me.

My neighbor very nicely mowed the leaves in my front yard. next day the wind had blown the rest of the leaves off. I suppose tomorrow I'll start working on it. Just have to be careful I'm not twisting my gut. Do all the work with my arms and space it out over a few days. I'm weak and tire easier than before.

I miss the decor, never been to a Christmas party or such. Miss the family and the snacks and food. In those regards it doesnt feel like Christmas. But then I dont like a commercial/party one anyway. I will have a look at my life and see where to go and what to do. Taking stock of my life.

Hope things are better for you. take good care of yourself.

• Like 1

Going low fat didn't help my health, lowering carbs did.  But there are healthy fats and unhealthy fats, and that makes a huge difference!  They sneak all kinds of bad things into "products," which is why I don't buy them.  I pretty much make everything from scratch.  But I can't cook right now, right now I'm eating Carnivore because my Fasting Blood Sugar is up from my injury, your body ups it and the liver dumps it into the blood stream when you wake up.  Trying to keep those levels down as much as I can.  So meat/eggs, some cheese, that's it.  Meanwhile my veggies are going bad. :(  Maybe dI can muster making some soup next week if Kodie does the cleanup!  :D

I do know eliminating carbs from the diet will reverse your liver condition if it's fatty liver.  If from Rxs or parasites, they say no, I don't know.

The rain melted the snow, had a little yesterday but it melted off.Supposed to get some today, not much.  I can't shovel now so I'm praying it'll hold off, no more than an inch at a time!

My husband loved the holidays, all of them!  He grew up without trees or stockings, presents, nothing, they were poor and moved a lot.  I made him a stocking when we got married and bought him ornaments.  My tree is a "memory tree" with ornaments people have given me or bought to remember something.  I always had a real tree until a few years ago, can't go out and get one since my son left home and it was hard to find a place to take them (boy scouts used to for a fee), it got expensive, so I bought a fake one a few years ago.  I'm afraid mine needs replaced, lights not working and needles dropping but it's pretty all the same.  I do this in memory of George, there won't be any "Christmas" here except the true meaning in my heart, no presents to unwrap, I can't send out cards anymore so people quit sending theirs.  Kodie loves the tree and was very interested in my putting it up.  He goes over and looks at the ornaments but doesn't touch them, he's a good boy.

14 hours ago, Tachi said:

'll leave the medical people alone for a few months. I want out of the system.

Oh man, do I hear you there!  The last thing in the world I wanted to do was drive 1 1/2 hours to ER and sit there for HOURS, just to have them botch things like they did last time I went in with a severe dog bite (they poured glue all over it, none of it held but the smallest wound, 8 tears in all, every which way all over each other!)  My doctor saw me the next day and said, "Well, that's not how I would have done it!"  He was quick to add it's conventional medicine though...  In the end it was up to me to heal it on my own, seems he put me on antibiotics though, it was a nasty bite, still have pain in that area.

Wishing you well with your visit with the Urologist!  Hope and pray it's the last visit for a long while!  Am thinking I'll get my surgery over with 12/20 for the skin cancer to heal before the huge snows start (hopefully!).  As long as this hand is ruined anyway, why not the wrist too?!
Keep up your healing, praying for you, Scott!

image.thumb.jpeg.128d666ffb5d5ac1e9b832b3d11484ab.jpeg

Thats a really beautiful tree. Thanks for showing me. Reminds me of better days. thats a handsome Kodie too. he looks so peaceful. Nice looking home too.

Beginnig to think modern medicine is little to do with how best to help the patient and all about following the guidelines. 

The compression socks they put on me in hospital were rubbing and gave me a blister. Well it wore trough and I'm hoping it isnt infected. Online appt w/ doc Friday so will watch it this week and ask her.

My brother called, was nice, wanted to know when id be able to start looking for work. he always thinks theres a definitive answer. I have no idea and not real worried about it. I have to get healed and restudy and have the estate sale and sell the house and find an apt.

I misunderstood the property taxes. they will pay the new amount in its entirety, an extra $3000+ and then tack it on to next year in monthly installments. Plus increase the escrow to meet the increase in property taxes. So next years mortgage goes up by over $600 a month.I have 7200 saved back for that purpose plus emergencies so will use all of it for the property taxes. I'll transfer it to the acct that pays the mortgage.

Woke up this morning early to the tornado siren. I dont sleep well anymore. the area had terrible storms, Five known tornadoes and up to a dozen more suspected. Torrential rains and high winds. No loss of life but alot of damage. luckily we came through it here.

I can see Kodie cooking, he would eat it all in the process. I had intended to make some soup or chili but havent yet. Going to have to wait on spending until I get the hospital bills. I dont think it will be real bad but then i dont want any bad surprises. I am reading food labels and ignoring food with bad stuff in it. What I have now will be boxed up for emergencies, like if we cant get food. The turkey and chicken is great. Wont buy instant oatmeal again. 

Confused about carbs and fiber. I had read something about adjust the carbs number in a food by the fiber number? Green beans seem to be a good food. Unfortunatel many of the recommeded foods i just wouldnt eat, like asparagus and cailiflower. broccoli is good if its mixed with good stuff. I have a long way to go for nutrition and in getting my numbers fixed. The white and red bloodcell counts concern me. I would be curious to see a new bloodtest in 6 months.

I wasnt taking any scripts before this, just vitamins. I read the liver gets fatty if you eat too much. Since ad passed ive been a snacker and a comfort snacker. I could see where that added to it. And no exercise for months and eating bad fats and oils. 

Your husband and my dad were alike in growing up poor. yet they were both very smart, good with their hands and in the shop. Guessing he found the meaning of holidays in those he loved and in sharing the fun and love of the day. he sounds like a good man. 

Isnt it interesting how at this point it isnt about getting or even giving. There are some fine memories to cherish and remember. Watching Christmas movies. Or like me watching videos on the history of Christmas. I sent the bro and wife a couple presents and he sent me a mandolin for my surgery. Trying to learn to play but my focus is shot.

Ive found some things different after surgery. My focus is all but gone. I dont sleep worth a flip. And my voice changed. Its more hoarse but I kind of like it. I was craving sweets for the first time in forever and right now im craving burritos or nachos. maybe i'm pregnant?

Im sending out three cards this year. the family I contacted a year ago didnt stay in touch so im letting them go.

I do wonder what Kodie thinks of that tree. Or maybe he just enjoys the lights and colors. He knows thats your tree so he is very respectful. he is indeed a very good dog.

Best of luck on your surgery. My prayer for you is all goes well and then you get a peaceful time of healing. I have no clue what the urologist will do, besides make sure im ok and healing and talk about further care and healing. Hoping he doesnt want to stick anything in me. Im thinking he will have the results of tissue sampling. they took some of the tissue he removed during surgery to be sent to the lab and check for cancer. In most cases I think they would just watc it but praying it comes back clean.

Funny how this Chrsitmas i dont really care about parties or presents and such. I just want to get well. Health really is the more important thing.

Take good care of yourself and Kodie and panther. Stay warm.

5 hours ago, Tachi said:

he sent me a mandolin for my surgery.

Oh wow!  Seems an odd gift for a surgery but he must know how talented you are...in time you'll learn, when you feel better.  But for surgery?  Seems odd as the person is DOWN!  But something to look forward to.  I just wonder how much he has a handle on reality...your life is about getting through this right now, recovery, selling stuff and the house...right now rest, take care of yourself.

Total carbs-fiber=net carbs.  Products subtract some sugars, I don't and I've found I can't trust products, they'll say anything to sell it.  They're overpriced and too many carbs regardless of what they say.  We tell people to test to their meter to see if it spikes them.  Can't always tell right away, can happen up to 3 hours later!  And it shows the next morning in their FBS (Fasting Blood Sugar).  But not always.  It can make your body produce more insulin which makes the numbers come down but it also increases insulin resistance (Diabetes) so not good.  I've learned to eat what I know is good for me and leave the rest alone.  It's amazing how much a bite of this or that adds up!  I do IF (Intermittent Fasting) and eat at noon-2 and second meal at 4-5, nothing in between...fasting aids healing and giving the body a rest to better do it's job. ;)  When you're eating enough protein and fat so you can burn energy, you don't get hungry in between.  We tell people no "snacking" as it counts as a meal, so if you're going to snack, do it WITH your meal.

5 hours ago, Tachi said:

Health really is the more important thing.

It is, for sure.  That and survival.  I feel I'm in survival mode for so long now, I don't know anything else...makes me wonder how much adrenaline has kicked in, adding to my body's stress.
I didn't realize how blurry my picture was until I posted it here.  Sorry!

5 hours ago, Tachi said:

I was craving sweets for the first time in forever and right now im craving burritos or nachos. maybe i'm pregnant?

:D  Now that really WOULD be one for Ripley's!

1411897112_EatToYourMeter.jpg.8068d29ef6b2ff0bb5ace90b43a1afc8.jpg

Mandolin

I had been thinking of getting myself one for christmas but mentioned to bro that i had to wait til I paid for medical. So he sent me the money to get one. He thinks I will play him a Christmas carol on Christmas. Wont happen. I cant even really sit up to play, let alone am able to get a clear note. Someday.

The've confirmed a dozen tornadoes now. And we had one near me, scary.

What I'm doing is a small breakfast when i wake up. I've found if I dont eat soon after waking up I have problems. then lunch around noon and dinner around six and no snacking in between. I dont really feel hungry anymore. I can feel my stomach if its empty and hear it growl but dont feel hungry. In the same vein I also have problems feeling full. I need to just be careful with how i fill the plate and say this is all i get.

Watching a Randolph Scott western, he was one of dads favorite cowboys. good actor.

The picture was fine. i can tell how beautiful things are and thats what counts.

I agree on survival mode. You've certainly had your share. You deserve to have a few months of peace and quiet. For me I feel like life is just slowly spiraling downward. one thing after another. I am wondering now if I can come back from this and get in shape or if this is just the beginning of the end. We shall see.

I think I need a cup of tea. I started having a cup of green tea every couple days, supposed to be good for me. Take care.

• Like 1

Ahh, I see why the mandolin.  Can't wait until you learn it, but of course it will have to wait, right now priority is getting your health back, you will get there, not the beginning of the end!  

I know life is full of challenges as we age.  

My heart is with you as the area faces tornadoes, praying none touch down there...for me, snow coming, praying it won't be much between now and Christmas.  Will see.

Panther's place near his eye and top of his head are healing, he let me get off some of the clumped up fur yesterday, I was amazed.  He's destroying my place with his claws but still I love him.  I sure wish he'd lay off the one holding up my ramp/rails though!  That would be expensive to replace, set in cement, attached to both the rail and ramp.  I don't mind the one on my patio as it can easily be replaced.  Alas cats don't listen to us.

I guess I didn't tell you about my 2nd degree burns on the palm of my hand and little finger, there's other fingers involved too but they were minor, only counting the bad ones...it all blistered up and the little finger the flesh came off with the bandaging when I went to the doctor.  Can't cook or do dishes or clean.  Fortunately I already had my Christmas tree, etc. up.  Spent a fortune on the burns for dressing wounds, etc.

Shop floor rotted, surprised it didn't 45 years ago.  Closed the door, I rarely go out there.  Too many memories...

I just need this place to last a few more years.  I don't know how I'll continue here in my 70s without any kids nearby but I know I have to.  So rather than thinking unduly about it, I keep on keeping on.

Fires in wood stove are doing great.  Still burns too hot sometimes, but not as often now that it's in the 20s.  Last night they predicted it'd be ten degrees warmer, ha!  22.  Had to turn the heater on in the storage room where the freezer, water tank and pipes are.

Yesterday we had to go take Jazzy out of her kennel and they played, then put her back while I went home and ate breakfast at 1 pm, then we went back and let her out again...had just put her back in when I saw Mike and Iris coming home!  Passed them walking.  Mike told me later that Iris took Jazzy to run on Dead Mountain.  So their day out in the valley didn't wreck things for her after and and her and Kodie had a good time playing.

Talked to my doctor online, but forgot to ask about my foot, so I hope its not infected. We talked about my bloodwork. The alkaline phosphatase is high and concerns her. Could be liver or gall bladder (altho she doesnt think so), could be bone disease, bone cancer, or as a result of my prostate stuff. Doing another bloodwork the 27th and go from there. We ruled out sweet breads, cakes pies etc. Unless I can make something w/ low/no sugar etc. Anyway, will be wondering if i have cancer until I find out. It never ends. 

I guess Panther is claiming his territory. Too bad that cant be directed.

How is your hand doing. Hopefully that heals quick. Are you able to eat ok? My bro would tell you to just order pizzas. judging by the food he always suggests its a miracle he is still alive. he sent me a box of italian fruitcake, which I love. But lots of bad fats. I thought to just eat a tiny bit at a time but today the ingredients actually list cholesterol, so i trashed it. he either knows nothing of butrition or doesnt care. And your place holds together. And snow is mild. Life keeps moving. I think I would be happy if it hit a sweet spot and rested there for a bit. I've read this is a big problem for alot of young people. they think life is always good and quiet. So they have no esilience and cant handle adversity.

Remember the old Charlie Brown cartoons? The way adults sounded? Thats how we sound to cats..."waaa? waaa wa wa waaa".

We get a winter storm this week, Thursday night a low of 9 and then Friday a high of 24. It starts warming up Saturday and in the 50s and 60s the following week. No snow forecast but they say parts of Texas will be without power. it's amazing to me after that last bad storm how they havent fixed anything.What do we have to do? I have a half cord of firewood so will look at the fireplace after my appt Tuesday and make sure its ready to go. 

At least you dont use the shop. I guess it wont hurt anything unless the walls fall down? Your husband sounds like my Dad in a way. Loving to work on things and spend hours in the shop. Curious how thigs work. I didnt inherit exactly that. I am more like Mom. A creative imaginative soul. 

What I wonder is how I will survive working til my end. And 'if' I can work that long. But honestly, given the current state of my health that may not be a problem. Oddly, I am presently at peace.

Had another lesson in Mortgages etc. There is a $3600 shortage on property taxes. I saved 7400 for it plus emergency. But the mortgage company paid it in full and will add the amount I owe them to next years mortgage plus use the new property tax amount...which raises the mortgage payment by $660...about an extra 67% of thus years mortgage. So I will take my saved money and transfer it to the account that the mortgage is paid from and it should cover that amount. My SS will cover the rest of the house bills. I'm a bit frightened to see the medical bills and pray there's nothing else coming. I'm slowly running out of money. But i will fairly soon refuse to delve into anything else. there's no sense in being healthy just to be living on the sreet. 

Bloodwork again on the 27th. I can tell I'm healing inside and some issues have gone away. But the wound on my foot isnt healing or so it seems. The compression hose I guess was bunched cause it was uncomfortable in the hospital. It rubbed a blister which broke. there's a small bright red ring around it which isnt spreading. Doesnt hurt, isnt swollen or hot. I'm using a hot compress and then covering with neosporin.

Was told to drink lots of water with that catheter etc. I have a set of large glasses that hold two cups each so was getting 4 a day at best. Finally did measure em and they hold over 3 cups. So I thought I as drinking 6-8 cups and was really drinking 9-12. Too much. Have slowed down and my bladder is healing i guess because its all heading to a more normal response. 

I have no idea how they make houses like yours, but it seems well insulated? Holds the heat well. I only use a couple rooms and wish I could close off some vents and close some doors but supposedly that can mess up the system.

Jazzy is blessed to have you available.. Cool how things work sometimes. 

Well, going to take the trash out for tomorrow and make dinner. Turkey patty and some green veges. I think I have one more of the vegetable soup pack with okra and onion and peppers etc.

take good care.

I forget how cold it gets there. Keep warm. From the inside shot you posted your place looks in pretty good shape. I wonder what Panther will do after his current targets arec destroyed, maybe start on a tree.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tachi said:

Remember the old Charlie Brown cartoons? The way adults sounded? Thats how we sound to cats..."waaa? waaa wa wa waaa".

So funny!!!  Love it!

Glad you tossed the fruitcake, I used to have a recipe for homemade, of course it didn't taste the same, but it would send me 10 feet under now with Diabetes!  I opened a new vial of strips after 1/2 doz. tries to prick myself and getting error messages, this time I got 92, lowest FBS I've had in months!  Tried to test myself again and couldn't get enough blood.  Okay, I'll take it!

Yesterday morning was 17!  They've been way off lately, anywhere from 120-17 degrees overpredicting!

How is your hand doing.

It's been 1 1/2 weeks now, this was badly blistered, the flesh came off my little finger (that is still trying to heal of course) but the blistered palm is doing way better.  Still get some heat in it.  My bathroom looks like a pharmacy with all the tape, gauze, and ointments!

I've been eating well, I only eat two meals/day, one of them eggs.  Tomorrow is my day to go to the dermatologist for the skin cancer removal, Cindy is taking me and wants to eat out, it'll be messy (lettuce wrap) so not sure how to do it.  I don't usually eat out when I go to town.  I forget other people can't wait to eat, I'm used to intermittent fasting.

Lately they've been touting vaseline instead of neosporin, IDK, they say neosporin is only good for superficial wounds.  ??  I wondered what happened to your foot, glad you explained it.  I'm sorry you got that, not what you needed.  I just got some Sovereign Silver Gel, seemed to work well on my foot...after not being able to walk on it for the pain!  It took a while but finally heeled.  Got too dry and cracked, now I moisturize it religiously before putting clean socks on.

seems well insulated? Holds the heat well.

Nope, not at all!  I feel cold air in here but can't tell from where, just not well insulated I guess, nothing I can do, lucky to have a place out of the elements, the wood stove makes up for it.  It's messy but it sure does its job!  I'm cursing the guy that brought me rotted wood for this year. :(

Usually want us to have 64 oz/water/day, I usually get 90, my doctor told me to cut back, you know how hard it is to cut back on water?!

This mobile home is in pretty good shape for as old as it is, could used new carpets and windows, probably cost more than it's worth!  And of course insulation and a foundation. Ha!  Will never happen.  I need the back of the carport replaced, and as it appears perhaps the side of the shop as well.  If only my savings would match inflation!  I also need a rotted shed taken down and hauled off.  Waiting for it to cave in someday...nothing I need in it.  My son's air force uniform (why he put it in there!!), sleds, John's dad's police badge and letters, all I can do without.  I think my huge vine maple is holding it up!

We sound like a couple of old people!  Oh well, we've earned it. ;)

Take care, your dinner plans sound good!  I'm having some dump soup for dinner, wonderful!

I never know about home testing devices. My scale is off and I suspect my BP meter is off, its giving me just under 120/80. I need a new one I guess.

Been trying to get the surgical binder off and use the heating pad, then use it on my ankle/foot. I also do a warm washcloth. Its about the same. I wont get out in the coming cold so maybe I can do a virtual visit.

I guess it will take a little time for your hand to heal. Wish they had something you could dip your hand in and take th heat out. hang in there, hopefully it heals soonest. 

How did the skin visit go? Did they freeze em off?

I had read use vaseline over neosporin when reading about my foot. I use neosporin anyway. But honestly I think theyre right in my case. Whatever I put on it cant get inside so its too late for any antibacterial stuff. I think eventually I will need a doctor and they will probably cut it open again. 

Saw my surgeon today. He's a good man. I am off the meds, off restriction and see him again in 3 months. However, still very much healing the wound and incisions and still going to be very careful and take it slow. 

I have a dozen or so cake and brownie mixes that I no longer will make. Going to give em to my nextdoor neighbors.

Your place is drafty then. Good thing you have a super stove. My rental in Lubbock before I moved home was drafty. It had an old under floor gas heater. never used it. It would heat the front room and the other two rooms and bathroom were ice. 

Yea i laughed when i figured out my glass held 3 and not 2 cups. my poor kidneys. Im trying to slow down and not overdrink.

The sad thing is we have sorely earned so much more than we have or will ever get. I laugh at these kids because they have no clue. Even if someone tries to tell them whats coming they dont want to hear it. their cup is full and theres no more room. Wish i could redo life knowing what I know just so i could spend time and energy on what really matters. 

Sounds like you need someone reliable to go through the property and do some work. But I guess as long as the main building holds up you're ok. 

Thursday its supposed to be 50ish and sometime around noon drop into the 20s in about 90 minutes. be 9 that night and frigid until Sunday. Luckily no rain, ice, or snow is forecast. Waiting to see if we lose power anyway. We shouldnt. Im staying home. 

Scratch Kodie for me, and take good care. Hoping your hand gets healed soon.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tachi said:

How did the skin visit go? Did they freeze em off?

No, they tried a new method, third visit for this, said it'd take up to two months to heal, yay.  Not a good time of year for this.  Burns coming along, little finger still badly blistered, also one on my palm but it looks like the blister sunk in and the skin got thick, like it's going to peel any time.  I have no feeling where the blisters were so am wondering if those were third degree after all.

I had read use vaseline over neosporin

I have Neosporin but use Vaseline on the skin cancer wound, doesn't seem to do anything, doesn't heal.  The bandaging they put on it doesn't cover it all, I can see it's spread and puffy underneath.    

Thursday its supposed to be 50ish and sometime around noon drop into the 20s

Wow that is really different!  I had it drop 40 degrees in a day once this year, really hard to acclimate to it!

The sad thing is we have sorely earned so much more than we have

Perhaps, but I know longer think of it like that, just we ttake life as it comes.  Strength for today.  Ultimately I think this is what God has for us.

Your foot sounds painful, I have another friend going through the same thing.  He's been tending it for months.  I don't know how he does it as he's on his feet all day.  Praying for healing, my friend!

Kodie was an angel while I was gone, 10-4:30.  
I so enjoy watching him and Panther on the other sides of the fence, Kodie spins and then Panther does it once for him!  So cute!  They also play at the patio door.

Have a good day...be well!

Surgeon called today. I left a urine sample tuesday at our appt. he said it grew a little bit of stuff and altho normally he wouldnt worry about it, since I just had surgery he gave me 5 days of antibiotics just to be safe.

I used to put vit e on my skin stuff. But thinking it just takes time. After all, you're a Mom so you have much more experience with this than I do.

Very happy we're not getting snow etc, high today was 22. Tomorrow should hit 33 and then start warming up Sunday.

I have no idea what God has left for me. I know i'm wrong but I wonder if there is anything at all. At this point i'm dreading my bloodtest lest they want to do more tests etc etc etc. I just want to be left alone at this point by all things medical. Heal and finish the estate and get on with life. Waitingand dreading the medical bills. Guess i'm not in a very festive mood. maybe I can work on that tomorrow.

Actually I was surprised my foot hasnt urt much. It hurt more with the compression hose on. It still is red around the scab and is raised a bit but I'm saying it's healing. 

I guess Panther has adopted kodie as well. At least they get along. Panther can be the outside guy and kodie the inside/outside guy. 

Do you get lots of birds in your yard? Do you ever toss em old bread or anything? My folks always loved watching the birds. I had to take down the seed and birdbath because the rat family was using them. May put it back up anyway though. 

My neighbors called to check on me. Nice people. 

What are you doing Christmas day? I'm cooking a turkey roast and just relaxing. Considering taking off thru the end of the year and getting back into artwork and restarting mandolin.

Stay warm and if I dont see ya before then

Merry Christmas!

• Like 1

Thank you for your well wishes my friend!  No, I just feed hummingbirds but they quit coming in the winter, need to take the feeder down and wash it.

I'm glad your foot is healing!  The latest thing they're all pushing for wounds is vaseline, keeps germs out.  On something already infected Polysporin (I don't have that, just Neosporin)..  I've done some reading about it, sounds kind of complicated, you need something to fight bacteria sometimes, vaseline just protects it, doesn't fight...so it's a judgment call.

Today going to my son's in-laws 1 1/2 hours from here, leaving Kodie home (they don't allow dogs) and Iris will come get him mid time and take him for a 1 1/2 hour playdate so he doesn't get too much head start on dying. :D I thought about taking him with me but figured if he was in the car all that time it'd be harder than being at home and having access to toys and seeing Panther/playing through the door.

So you've played Mandolin before?  

Tomorrow is our church Christmas Program and afterwards Christmas dinner, ham and everyone is bringing side dishes!  So excited, I missed the White Elephant Party so this will be way better than last year!  I made sausage balls to take for my "side."

PS, it was treacherous all over Oregon except here yesterday, my daughter couldn't go in to work until very late, freezing rain all day and city is no place to be with that!   A friend slipped into a tree, she said 100 cars pulled over off the Hwy, I-5 N was closed, what a mess!  All through OR except here, but we couldn't go in/out of town.

No sign of the Christmas tree I ordered (2 day shipping) on the 17th, it'll probably come the day after Christmas!  Amazon won't refund.  So much for Prime.  (I can't use the watching videos as I can't stream here.)

Art work and music sounds a wonderful thing to do with your time!  Enjoy your Christmas!

When we have flowers we get some hummingbirds. Cool looking animals. I bet you enjoy watching them. I jug the birdfeeder up again. And put the nirdbath out. I took em down because i think the rats were nto it. But I miss the tiny birds that used to come. 

My abdomen is healing slowly. The scars seem to barely be healing. I know im old and my white bloodcell count is low but I'd like for it to heal up. I can at times feel it sore inside as well. So I decided its just going to take some more time.

Hope you had a good time at son in law's. Bit of a drive but could be worse. They should visit you sometime. They should do something like a potroast. like our old dinners, everyone gathers around to eat and trades family stories etc.

Ive never played mandolin before this one. before the operation I started learning but havent been able to sit up for very long. Even driving in the car I get sore. 

Church sounds fun. I bet that was alot of really fine food. Thats one thing young folks dont understand. The ladies at church can cook better than almost anyone. 

I went to the grocery store to get a med and bought some food. Fried chicken...which was tough...fried okra, which was greasy...and a slice of chocolate cake, which was dry and stale. The things I used to love and they were disgusting. Back to my nutrition. Good thing I love chicken and turkey. 

I gave another blood to test. Doc is looking for the alkaline phosphatase...its not high because of liver she thinks, maybe just was my huge prostate or bone disease or bone cancer. If this one is high I think we do another blood test to see exactly what it is. And thats all i will pursue. Dumb as it sounds I cant afford to get into a line of treatment and am not willing to get into an invasive anything. I need to heal and get strong. Besides, I dont think 5 weeks is long enough to recover from a huge prostate and super stress. Doc may give up on me but before anything i have to heal and get strong, finish dads estate and sell the house. I will suggest we test again this summer.

Do you still have snow? How long before it warms up again? does it get colder next month? We hit 70 today and its going to be mild for a couple weeks. next month however through february it should be pretty cold. There goes my heating bill. Should be around $200 next month.

Your weather sounds horrible. I dont miss it at all. At least you're safe where you are. 

Amazon has gone to pot. Theyre just so convenient and I get my money's worth on the free shipping. However, I dont use the music part and dont find much to watch on the movie etc service. I must be picky.

Here's wishing you a Happy New Year. Hope you get to relax some and scratch kodie behind the ears. Take good care and stay warm.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tachi said:

Hope you had a good time at son in law's.

DIL's parents...I don't have a SIL any more. We had a great time!  It seems a long time ago, it's been a hard week, was ordered to cleanup in the kitchen Christmas for three hours, my blisters popped and now doing my best to fight infection!  I can't lift heavy pots/pans/bowls to scrape, it was very hard on my hands and am simply not able to.  I hadn't planned on that or I wouldn't have gone because it set my healing back.  Then we got hit with a huge storm, electricity out, branches down everywhere, picked up branches in yard and street, more the last couple of days and will have yet more this morning, hopefully not as bad.  Cleaned out wood stove, which also meant vacuuming and dusting, then cleaning vacuum, couldn't get roller pin set on vacuum on one side. 

6 hours ago, Tachi said:

They should visit you sometime.

My DIL hasn't been here since 2014.  It's not going to happen.  My daughter came two or three years ago, my son once in the last three years, in Sept/Oct to work on my wood stove, he brought my 5 year old grandson with him, he'd never been here.

I'm so glad you're healing, it may be slow go but it'll happen.  So long as you don't strain yourself.  Temps have been good, 30s night, 30-50 daytime, snow on its way maybe NY's.

I can't use the streaming with Amazon so no good for that, only for free shipping and as far as I'm concerned, it's baloney, you order and wait and wait and no sign of pkgs coming.  Cancelled tree, it wasn't moving, hadn't reached USPS, got refund, THEN it came, refused, returned to sender.  Spent hours online trying to order another one, finally ended up same one, hasn't shipped yet, it can take its time now, Christmas is over.  It annoys me that we pay and sometimes things get here after your Visa is due!  So much for two day shipping.

Kodie is such a good boy, I am so lucky to have him, he's a really good dog, I appreciate him so much!  I wish you could see him, he's just a sweetie!

Reminded me I still need to clean the hummingbird feeder and put it away for winter, they long ago migrated...

How are your hands doing, the blisters any better? Should take it easy til they heal. 

And the weather wow. Just another winters day I guess. We were inseasonable warm today, 76. Going to get back to winter soon though. Your weather can really cause problems.

Talked to my neighbor on the other side. he and his wife hadnt been home for two months. they are fine. But had both fell and were in the hospital then a home. Good to have them back, nice people. 

Healing slowly. Ive taken to loosening the binder when I'm laying down but use it when I move around. Want to be extra careful. I may hear about the blood test this week. Decided I definitely need to give myself til summer before I pursue it further. My doctor mya disown me and thats ok. May seek a second opinion. Altho I did post this on reddit and a verified doctor said he wouldnt worry about it.

Amazon is almost worthless. their movie selection largely stinks. They offer more to stream that you have to pay for. I dont even use the music. But it has been a great advantage to order from them instead of trying to go shopping. Just have to be careful because there are so many items with badly increased prices. they are big enough they dont care. They can tolerate a certain amount of screwups. At the worst give people a gift card and theyre happy.

I put the birdbath and feeder back up and the dove and small birds are using them. Even have a couple of robins. I hated taking it down but dont want to attract the rats.

That last freeze really hurt the yard. There were worse freezes prior but that last one got some vines and small trees coming up from roots. Guess I dont need those anyway. I'm thinking I may try and stay one more summer and work on the yard. Not in any hurry to leave now. I have to heal and get strong and that will take more time than I had thought. Small things and short exertions make me tired. I think this is called starting at square one.

If only Kodie could talk. I bet his tail wags all the time. He really does have a good home. 

Happy New Year, take good care of yourself and the critters.

• Like 1

I have missed church 3 out of the last 4 Sundays because of these burns, the ONE Sunday I went (Christmas) I was literally ORDERED to help in the kitchen, they were horribly short on help, and Cindy didn't show up in there until we were done, and Kaja left right after eating as they always do!  But doing what I could is what popped my blisters and caused this issue, otherwise I'd be fine right now!  It's bright red and has a blood blister on it and it's very painful!  NOT good!  I do not want to go back until this is healed, I am STILL getting texts about how I need to do this and do that, NO!!!  I cannot!  I need to FIRST take care of myself!  As of this month I will not allow myself to be a Deaconess anymore.  They should have asked people ahead of time so they'd have warm bodies in place helping, but they didn't.  Their poor planning doesn't constitute an emergency on my part!  We had more people there eating and more food than ever, they should have thought of this.  I had assumed they'd understand because of my burns, but no!  It does stink I can't go to church but doing what I have to do to protect myself.
I hear you on Amazon, I can't stream with my slow speed/limited data internet, I won't likely renew Prime next year, am very disappointed, all the "quick shipping" has been from a slow boat from China so to speak, incorrect items, orders lost in shipping, personally I wish they'd refund me, it cost me more than I've spent and a lot of headache.  I do better with WM online.  If I order $35 in stuff I get free shipping.  (You can join WM but here not allowed to.)
I think you are following the right path, taking care of yourself first and foremost, it's what I'm trying to do with these burns...this Friday will be four weeks!  I hope and pray it continues to heal...doctor's office closed today, will try to get in this week so they can give their opinion about it, I want to talk to them or hear what they say.  Will call when they do open...
10 hours ago, Tachi said:

If only Kodie could talk. I bet his tail wags all the time. He really does have a good home. 

Christmas Eve Day I took the tree down.  Kodie literally CRIED!  He looked me intently in the eyes and slapped his paw on me to get my attention, then did it again!  No mistaking his broken heart over it. :(  I felt so bad, esp. as I had to take it out to the garbage can.  I advertised it but no one responded.  My new one is on it's way here.  I will have to hook it up to make sure the lights work, this one says you have to bolt it in place, I hope that's not an issue with my hands, I just don't have the strength and no one to help.  Maybe I can lie it down to plug it together this year and next year get a neighbor to help?  I hope so.

10 hours ago, Tachi said:

He does an amazing job communicating considering he doesn't do the Husky talk like my Arlie did.  He is plenty communicative!  Thank you, I think he loves his life, where he lives, everyone here.  Two days ago four Rottweilers were on the loose and a neighbor called just as we were leaving for our walk!  Talk about saved in the nick of time!  I drove him ten miles away to the park to walk.  When we came home, the 4 Rotts were in my yard, menacing, could not get out of the car, honked and honked, took off down the street, came back honking (still here) and went at them with the car, honking, they took off, allowing us to make our getaway...I parked right in front of our ramp and made a go for it.  I posted in FB Oakridge Chat and Lost Dogs, as well as my wall, I got so many responses!  I reported it to Lane County Animal Services, who were worthless, all they cared about was their 3 day weekend! They lied to me and said they had no reports!  I had countless people telling me they had reported them for killing 30 chickens, a cat, severely attacking a dog, cornering a child, even had someone message me proof!  I asked Lane County what all our licensing fees are for! (We get nothing for our $)

Keep taking care of yourself, take your time, it's very fortunate that you are there taking care of the place until it sells!  It's been hard having Peggy's place sit empty, was going to close 1/6/23 but now has well problems, not sure what...

I would politely refuse, and if they didnt respect that then impolitely refuse. let them know that you medically are unable and they dont need to ak. its their fault. Most people just dont care about others. Went through that at work so many times. But then i see that you understand. Take care of yourself because no one else will.

When you get the new tree you should leave it up for a bit and see if kodie likes it. I have often wondered what dogs and cats think and feel about things like that. Do they appreciate the beauty.

I sprained a shoulder. Ive noticed a loss of muscle and tone from doing nothing since august and wasnt great before. I lay on my side to use the laptop usually. I pushed myself up fast and the shoulder sprained. sigh, how goofy does it get? So I cant sit up for long, not supposed to sit on hard chairs. Cant type laying on the other side. Cant lay on the preferred side. So I'm stuck laying back and typing sideways. I've become too bony and need more muscle, time to rehab.

My robins are still hanging around. I keep the water and seed going for them. 50s here and near freezing at night so cant complain. Maybe the robins are late moving south or just like the weather here. 

Sign of the times. Too many people wont do their jobs, even when others are in danger. I have read so many times about those breeds of dog arent dangerous. But how many times I have seen or read that rotts and pits go hostile. And some people take advantage of their nature and train/abuse them that way. 

One of my big fears is that there will be structural or foundation problems. I've done a walkaround and didnt see anything but then I'm not qualified. Still no word on my bloodtest so i think I'll just forget about it.

Take good care, stay warm and scratch Kodie's belly for me.

• Like 1

I wouldn't assume anything is wrong with the foundation unless/until it's shown to be.  I'm sure it's fine.  Even though my mobile home has no foundation it's been here for 45 years and I keep a close eye on it to make sure there are no holes dug around the skirting and if so, block them off immediately (you can usually hear it if something is scurrying around underneath you, if so, give them a chance to leave (listen for dormant times) then block it off.  Have to make it not worth their while to take up residence there!  (They can create issues like tearing up insulation, wiring, etc.)  Often I've cursed the day my XH decided NOT to put in a foundation to save $!  

We have had wind storms lately and nothing but rain in the forecast although still winds...I've picked up so many branches in the road and on my place and my neighbors (I do it in exchange for their allowing me to use their burn pile...fortunately they don't have near the branches I get).  It's something I could do as my power was out a couple of different days, one day three times!  (It gets old setting clocks.) Could not get the generlink to work but the generator does so I can plug into my refrigerator in the house and the freezer in the outdoor building, saving food.  No water so have to use the forest for bathroom facilities when desperate.  Ugh, welcome to country living!

Lane County never responded to reports about the Rottweilers!  I knew they wouldn't!  If I don't hate paying the licensing fee to them for which we get NO SERVICES!  But it's the law here and vets turn in your info the first time you go to them!  So they know about you and your dog!  The only thing they seem to respond to is if someone doesn't pay them.  Total bureaucracy!  

5 hours ago, Tachi said:

hen you get the new tree you should leave it up for a bit and see if kodie likes it.

I physically cannot even open it up right now, big heavy box, with my hands in the condition they are in...I mentioned it to a neighbor, he said, "You'll have to trust that it works."  IDK, all I know is right now I am still healing and by the time I get the thing opened and inspected, the warranty will be off so I might as well wait until next Christmas.  And hope.

5 hours ago, Tachi said:

I sprained a shoulder.

Oh no!  I hope and pray this mends quickly!  Thinking of you as you heal.  Most places said 1-2 weeks but this place said:
Can a shoulder sprain heal on its own? It could take several weeks to several months for a shoulder sprain to heal on its own depending on its severity. For less severe sprains, the RICE method, anti-inflammatory medications, and keeping your arm in a sling can help the sprain heal on its own.

The rice method I think they're talking about is filling up a pocket of rice and heating to warm in microwave, then setting it on the area.
Most of them are mild (1-2 weeks) but more severe ones take 6-8 weeks.

2 hours ago, kayc said:

The rice method I think they're talking about is filling up a pocket of rice and heating to warm in microwave, then setting it on the area.

RICE stands for Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. The RICE method includes the following four steps:
Step 1: Rest. Pain is your body's signal that something is wrong. ...
Step 2: Ice. Ice is a tried-and-true tool for reducing pain and swelling. ...
Step 3: Compression. This means wrapping the injured area to prevent swelling. ...
Step 4: Elevation.

• Like 1

LOL, I should have thought of that instead of going back all those years to when we had rice packs for our necks!  They did work though, but I'm sure you're correct about what they intended for this situation!  Sometimes I have to laugh at myself!  One of those times...

Thanks ladies. Marty Hope you're doing well.

Mt foot/ankle i think is infected. So will need to see the doc next week. that scares me because theyre just not very good there. I need to find a new one. I had small pain in the hospital and considered it just my compression sock doubling up and didnt worry. I kept the socks on when I got home. By the time I took them off to wash there was a blister. It had later burst I guess but I never saw evidence of anything coming out of it. It got red around it but showed no sign of puss or anything. Eventually it formed a scab but never healed. I started attending it nightly with warm compress and antibiotic ointment and a bandaid. Last night I left the bandaid off and the scab got knocked off. This morning I noticed what appears to be a small yellowish patch with some red on the sides. Its on the other side of the front tendon from the blister. Its where one side of the bandaid would always sit so no idea how long its been thre. I think that happened last night. Anyway, its probably a good idea to get it looked at. 

It doesnt hurt, isnt tender or hot. No fever or any indication anything is wrong.  I keep hoping it will heal but if it is spreading then it needs attention. 

Today was my first day without the surgical binder. No idea if i should keep it on but since he freed me o restrictions I figured it was time. I may use it for awhile when I starte xercising.

I wish you could meet my new neighbors. They come from China, where they lived in a 50 story highrise apt complex. Theyve never had a yard before. And I imagine they have never had so large a home. It must be such a joy for them. The previous owner had a big cactus garden in the front. These new folks removed all of it but the huge center cactus. Not sure what they want to do but one of the pther neighbors has been coachng them.

I've seen no foundation problems but judging by my luck the past 5 years there will be a zinger or two. 

Sounds like your weather is worse than ours and harder to endure. We are going to be 40s to 60s and maybe 70 with no rain. When it hits 50s and 60s there's just a certain quality to the air, it smells and feels different and makes me think of a long lost home. 

I'm sure your tree works. Just be careful and get healed. The rest can wait. I've gotten to the point of not being a tough guy if i dont have to. I have no problem sitting on my butt and healing. Oh yea, that was my day today...and yesterday...and the day before, etc etc etc.

The bad thing about sprains is i forget and then I tweak it. Two steps forward and one step back. Its healing though, i can feel it. My muscles are out of condition and have atrophied. I need to exercise and get strong again.

Hows your hand coming along? 

My SS 'should' start wednesday. That will be eaten up for February bills for the house. 

Been making a point to go walk in the yard. I love plants and gardening. Part of me really wants one more summer here. I could justify it as time to fix up the yard and do a little work on the house. Plus i need to get someone to fix the sprinkler system. I think I am at the point where I can clean the house and go through the things. I think my brother wants to keep something of value. he gave up on the ring so then remembered some old antique elephants, then something made of crystal. He has vague memories and I'm supposed to find what he wants. I think he's grasping at straws. I may just take some pictures of thngs and email to him. 

have you considered getting one of those laser cat toys and play with kitty? I wonder if he would chase it or just not care. 

Please take good care of yourself. And Kodie and Panther. Interesting how Panther found you two and moved in. Guess it was fate. Hope you have some quiet peaceful days, stay warm.

6 hours ago, Tachi said:

Anyway, its probably a good idea to get it looked at. 

You sure you're not diabetic?  ;)  I'm so sorry you're fighting this issue!  I fought (and won!) when my heel cracked and got infection in it, wanted to go to the doctor as I couldn't walk on it one day without severe pain, but they were full up so I just kept taking care of it religiously and it finally healed, discovered Epsom salts dried it out so here I'd been trying to do a good thing but had to discontinue, used Eucerin Advanced Repair on it (doctor's recommendation).  The recommendation nowadays is Vaseline to keep infection out, but if it's already there, Polysporin...I checked the difference between that and Neosporin and the only thing I found was Neosporin has an extra ingredient that people can get allergic too (I'm not) so I use that.  You might need an antibiotic though as it's gone this long, yes, best to get looked at if you can get in!

Make sure to include "as is" when you sell the house.  I know someone who really got taken because she sold it without that, they sued her two years later and ended up getting the place for free!  They claimed she had bats, no, she didn't when it sold.  Apparently they have two years to come back on someone!  They took 1/2 million from her plus all lawyer's fees on both sides!  Both parties had an inspector and a real estate agent.  What they did to her was abominable.  They'd done this before in CA, but that wasn't admissible in court!

6 hours ago, Tachi said:

Sounds like your weather is worse than ours and harder to endure.

Absolutely.  Winters are harsh here, but so far we aren't getting it, likely February-April.  Last year it went to mid May!  Thankful it's raining, not snowing as I can't shovel much right now with trying to heal this last burn.  Wouldn't surprise me if that one wasn't third degree.  Have been very careful with it, can't get it wet unless showering and then have to put stuff on and bandage right after.  No dishes.  Have been staying home from church as I do not want a repeat of Christmas, I canNOT "clean up the kitchen" as I was ordered to that day!  That's what burst the blisters that protected it.  Now I'm paying for it, trying to fight infection.   (Went to the doctor Tuesday.)

6 hours ago, Tachi said:

My SS 'should' start wednesday.

That will be a day to celebrate!  I am so glad for you!  Sounds like they pay yours the same day as mine (2nd Wed.).  They say they'll reduce it when they run low on $, I think 22%, I'm not sure it'll come to that, they'll have everyone in the country up in arms!  They don't pay a lot to start with and we've paid in all our lives!

6 hours ago, Tachi said:

I may just take some pictures of thngs and email to him. 

Sounds like a good idea!  Give him choices, not him give you vague memories.  Where has he been all this time you were taking care of your dad and the place?!

6 hours ago, Tachi said:

have you considered getting one of those laser cat toys and play with kitty?

Panther LOVES playing with Kodie through the doorway!  Works great in wintertime with wood stove next to it, but in summer I can't have the door open with bees and A/C so will have to figure something else out, maybe let him in the front fence with Kodie?  Then I'd have to leave the gate open for him to leave...otherwise he'd be trapped there so will see what works best.  He definitely has a mind of his own!  The last thing one can change is a cat!  Dogs can be trained, but cats...

6 hours ago, Tachi said:

The bad thing about sprains is i forget and then I tweak it. Two steps forward and one step back. Its healing though, i can feel it. My muscles are out of condition and have atrophied. I need to exercise and get strong again.

I'm so sorry!  I hope it continues improving little by little!   Gosh, you sound like me, always something it seems!  Overall I'm in good health, but I keep getting these little things...

6 hours ago, Tachi said:

Interesting how Panther found you two and moved in.

He kind of took over!  Went from feeding him to his gouging my posts, etc.  He spent most of yesterday in his "cat house" on the patio.  I woke up at 2 and he was staring in the patio door, waiting for Kodie to wake up, ha!

Things are coming together for you, little by little.  Let me know what the Dr. says!  Take care!