Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Father's Day

I still have my Dad, my Mom is the person I recently lost and I just had my 1st Mother's Day without her. I just want to let those of you who have lost a Dad, recent or a long time ago, know I am thinking of you. I will hug my Dad extra tight on Father's Day in honor of your lost Fathers.

I also thank you Lori. My Dad died March 30 of this year and I don't know how I'm going to deal with the day itself. At this point I'm trying not to think about it, but it's sometimes hard with all those ads out there that pop up unexpectedly. What makes matters worse is Dad's birthday is the week afterwards - I can't wait for June to end.

Thank You Lori, I lost my dad 6 yrs ago, and my mom .....gee how long has it been.....? ......6 months?! I can't believe it. I want time to go by fast, so the pain can lessen, but then again I don't, because I don't want to forget my mom and the things we did. Either way I lose !

Well anyways, I was trying to say Thank You for thinking of us on Father's Day.

It's going to be extremely hard this year without my mom here. We use to go and take flowers to my dad's gave. Now I'll be bringing flowers to both of them. sucks.

A friend made a comment today that almost took me out. She invited me over for her son's b-day party. And when I asked when it was, she said, "On Father's Day". She must have seen the horrible and disgust look on my face so she quickly changed the subject.

I'm glad she did, because my next response would have been, "Gee, do you really think I know when that is?!"

I don't know when Father's Day is, nor do I care at this point. It's hard enough seeing all the adverstisements......it's just hard........ :(

i lost my dad 8 years ago and my mom in november. in april it was my moms birthday, then easter then mothers day. all i can say is im glad that is over. i found all these first holidays difficult to get through. although i have to say, with my dad it has gotten easier over the years. on tuesday my first born graduated kindergarten and for me not having my parents there was excruciating. i tried to tell myself that they were there in spirit. i also reminded myself that both my children now have 2 guardian angels watching out for them.

I still have my Dad, my Mom is the person I recently lost and I just had my 1st Mother's Day without her. I just want to let those of you who have lost a Dad, recent or a long time ago, know I am thinking of you. I will hug my Dad extra tight on Father's Day in honor of your lost Fathers.

Thank you so much for the hugs. I lost my Dad April 10th. I still have my Mom thank goodness. Life is just not fair sometime

This is going to be a rough Fathers day. I just lost my Dad 3 weeks ago.

I am planning on releasing a balloon at his graveside. I am not looking forward to Sunday however, I know he is in a better place and no longer suffering. The pain is still there.

Lori,

Thank you for thinking of all of us who have lost our Father's in the midst of pain you must be experiencing having lost your Mother recently and just went through your first Mother's day. I will be visiting my Father's grave with my Mother on Father's Day and I will hug my Mother extra tight in remeberance of you Lori and everyone who has lost their Mother.

Sunstreet

Thanks Shell. Today is not a good day. I have been breaking down . I was goign to do the balloon on Sunday but did it today knowing I will not be able to go near the cemetery on Sunday. I figured the balloon would be with his spirit. Forgive me if I am going a bit far or if I become offensive, but I keep telling myself his shell is all that remains in the grave. His spirit is out here amongst us and he is in a better place. He continues to live through us using the gifts he handed down to us. It still hurts but I am not sure what else to be thinking. Any ideas?????

Joe,

I agree with you. That what's left is not the real person, that their spirit is here. I don't blame you for not wanting to go to the cemetary on Sunday. It doesn't really matter if it's on the specific day anyway. It's the thought and connection that count. Sorry you had such a bad day. It will get better, honestly. Just hang in there and let your feelings flow. You'll be up and down and inside out, but it will get to a point where you can cope with the whole thing better.

Hugs to you,

Shell

Hi Joe,

I understand how you feel as I was going to go to the cemetary to visit my Dad's gravestone on Sunday but couldn't do it - I'm going in a few hours instead. I've only been once before and broken down so I'm sure it will be the same today, but I'm hoping I feel a sense of spirit there. A grief counselor asked if I felt my Dad was with me (I lost him 2 1/2 months ago) and I honestly don't, which makes the pain even harder. Is it something that "comes" to you eventually? I certainly hope so, it would make things a bit easier, if that is possible.

Kathy

Kathy,

My dad has been gone a year and three months and I can't say I felt that he was with me either. Except for one time about two months after he died, when I was driving back from the store and something made me look up into the sky and I felt he was up there looking down at me. Other than that, I didn't feel it either. I keep joking and telling him "Come on, Dad, give me SOMETHING! Give me some kind of sign". Sometimes when something weird and funny happens, I'll say "Ok, Dad, was that you? Very funny!" Like I dropped the hose the other day and it hit right on the part you squeeze to spray on one of those nozzle things and sprayed me right in the face. But, in general, I haven't felt any deep sense of him being with me. Maybe, someday, we will feel it. I think everyone feels like they should feel it and hear others talking about it, and when it doesn't happen to you it makes you feel sad. But I guess it shouldn't. Anyway, hang in there.

Hugs,

shell

Everyone thank you. It is an interesting day. Friday I did not sleep well at all. I had to work Saturday AM. I came home and just crashed. Today Sunday I am supposed to be working late. I woke up and was convinced it was Saturday. I went to work and seen the Sunday Sup thre and was asked how am I. I told her confused as to why she was there on a Saturday. She broke it to me that it is Sunday. I lost it and drove home.

Shell,

I am convinced that is a sign. my Dad always used to say he was going to come back as a bumble bee and sting everyone on their butt. I included this in my eulogy at the wake. The day of his funneral, my cousins after the service, went to our Grandmothers grave(about a block away). They arrived at the luncheon laughing. I asked what happened. They said as they were driving, a bee flew into their car and landed next to one of them. My one cousin was going to smash it and my other cousin was yelling "Don't do it it's Uncle Nick." They picked it up in their hand and released it out the window without being harmed. If thats not enough, I went to the cemetery the day after the funneral. I knelt at the grave and was crying. A bee came flying out of nowhere. I jumped to my feet and said "Daddy, It's joey. Please dont sting me I am allergic." The bee came right in my face, went to my shoe and flew away. I am convinced that everytime I see a bee it is my Dad.

Thank you, Lori, the thought is greatly appreciated, and I hope your dad enjoyed all the extra big hugs today! :)

I've felt pretty empty, today. Yesterday I was on the verge of crying all day, and just couldn't wait for the day to be over. Today I'm sad, I miss my dad. I wish I could give him a huge hug, tell him how much I love him, and never let go. I thought about going to the cemetery, but I knew that would be too much. Maybe next weekend.

June has been so hard. What was to be my parents' 50th anniversary was on the 10th. My mom went out of town, and spent time with lots of family around, to get through it. It helped, from what I understand, but she's still going to have to face it, once she's back home again, and that day is today. I'm glad to have her home, I've missed having her around, as her presence helps me feel closer to my dad's presence.

My dad died on February 12th, 2006, this is my first Father's Day, without him, and I miss him so very, very, much. I also feel guilty. Last year I told him that I owed him a meal, as a raincheck Father's Day gift, and I never did make it for him, and now I'll never be able to.

Hugs to all of you who are suffering the same pain that I am today.

Pandora

Fathers Day is almost over. I lost my Dad April 10th. My mom and I went to the cemetary today for the first time. I kept her busy and we made bets with each other that instead of crying we would remember a happy thought. If one of us cried we had to pay each other $1.00. We both came out equal becuase when she cried I cried and when I cried she cried. I guess that was not the smartest of things to do. Hang in there everybody I know our DAd as are looking down on us and wondering what all the fuss is about. We did not have to get them a gift they did not like or exchange.

Star,

I think the bet was a great idea. Even in grief it is important to keep humor in our lives. Actually, it is probably even more important during the grieving process than any other time! Knowing my dad, I think he would be saying "What's all the fuss about?" too!

Hugs,

Shell

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

First of all I want to thank everyone for their posts, just reading them helped me a great deal. I lost my mom april 2005 and than lost my dad august 2005, for my mom's one year anniversary I bought some balloons and went to a nearby part and said a few nice words and release them. As my dad's one year anniversary fast approaches I do not know what to do. I miss him tons and I also miss my mom tons. I had my first father's day this year without my dad and boy I do not know how I made it through the day. I was extremely emotional but here I am two months later. take care everyone and know our fathers are looking down at us and keeping us in their thought so let's all give three cheers for our lost fathers and also the ones that are sick. Hip hip Hurrah dad and thank God for them All Shelley

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Lori...I lost my Dad on Father's Day (not too long after your post), so I truly appreciate your kind words. I still have my Mom yet, so I'll be sure to give her an extra hug when Mother's Day comes around again....in memory of your Mom.

Hugs,

Leann