Grief Healing Discussion Groups

I am southeast LA an hour west of New Orleans.  Just some blustery wind as nowhere near the cone.  Chance of tornados as on the bad side.  No loss of power, etc.  I was prepared and my home was shuttered down.

I believe Marg will have more of an impact.  Marg, sending positive thoughts your way.

~Shirley

• Like 3

Praying for all affected by this, Marg, I vamped up prayers for you last night!  Hold onto your mustard seed!  (((hugs)))  Let us know how you are when you can.

• Like 4

Shirley, so glad you are safe! Not sure which of our "family" here is in that part of the country except you and Marg. Hope she checks in soon. Fingers crossed for everyone in the path of the monster.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

Heard about the huge hurricane hitting the gulf.  Marg?  Are you in the path?  Anyone else?  Sounds like this is gonna be catastrophic.

The hurricane will be downgraded by the time it reaches my area in Eastern coastal Virginia.  Just some winds and rains predicted for Saturday.  The previous hurricane came right over us  three weeks ago.  I had some minor repairs.  This Hurricane is much stronger with category 4 winds. Praying everyone is safe and secure. - Shalom

• Like 6

Did some sleuthing and Marg was here a few hours ago.  Now we just need to hear from her if she was close or not.  Oh Marg?!?   

Glad you’re ok Shirley.  George, hope you get thru this storm without damage.

• Like 3

I emailed her and she wrote back right after I went to bed.  She is okay!  She's 190 miles from the worst but they had wind, etc. yesterday and it knocked her electricity out all day (sorry, Marg, I told you everyone was worried about you!) but she's okay, mostly concerned for her sister, etc.  I'll let her tell the rest when she has ttime.

Been praying for George too and any/all that could be affected!

Shirley, so glad you're okay!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Those with lung problems will understand.  I wish my sister had family and friends in a dry climate.  Louisiana is always humid, selfishly, I have always loved the humidity (inside my A/C apt.).  Marcy and I both had allergies.  Mama always said she did not know whether to pray for rain or no rain. Mine were better under humid conditions, Marcy's were terrible under the humidity and she loves NO and had lived there 29 years.  She lives in these apartments, I am 105 and she is 210, just a corner walk.  We had our cell phones but were without electricity from very early morning until dark last night.  One time I could not get her on the phone and walked around the corner and she was in her car with the A/C on taking a breathing treatment..  Most will understand the numbers, but she is just a couple of numbers from requiring oxygen. And we were lucky.  I did not want to exaggerate too much so I said 10,000 without electricity.  Actually, it was 10,000 to 100,000 without it.  My daughter never lost hers (30 miles away), but the main street, about a mile away from her,  "Airline" had signs laying in the road, power poles down, trees on top of everything.  We got a side of it with many limbs and trees down.  Some of Bossier City still do not have electricity and a phone call to SWEPCO said some would be 5-7 days or more without.  Now, this is the very north tip of Louisiana, probably less than 30 miles from the Arkansas line and some on up into Arkansas are without electricity and trees down there also.  It was not as bad as "Katrina" but was about the same as "Rita."  I'm not even going to ask why the women's names are the most dangerous ones. 

With this COVID quarantine and things that need to happen and cannot, I guess I have been very depressed.  And, I am one of the lucky ones.  Possibly because this time five years ago we found out Billy only had possibly six months to live.  I hate to say this, but you actually do relive those times.  I have a tiny LED lighted Christmas tree next to his wooden urn and it went without lights for a few hours.  I don't know why I look for those lights to be on.  We get silly notions sometime.  

Thank y'all for considering us.  Actually, I always feel safer being in north Louisiana, but we still get those tornadoes spin out of the hurricanes, but I try not to think of them.  This time "Laura" was just so strong she stomped us all the way from the coast up into Arkansas and I think Missouri and maybe further.  We were lucky but I will never forget seeing my sister having to take breathing treatments in her A/C car.  The doc offered her anxiety pills if she would quit smoking, but I do know tobacco, and I know my husband could never let it go even though he wanted to.  He couldn't smoke, so he took the Copenhagen.  My sister thinks it will make her go fast and not have Mama's Alzheimer's.  Between her, my daughter's platelet fight, and my granddaughter's agoraphobia, I can only pray things work out.  I still have my mustard seed. 

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

So good to hear from you, Marg, and to learn that you are safe. These are frightening times, and coping with Mother Nature's fury on top of all the rest is ~ well ~ beyond our understanding. Stay safe and know that we are thinking of you ❤️

• Like 3

One good thing, Scott is still working.  He works nights and goes up to the 7th floor of the VA Hospital and takes a picture of the flag (waving today), and told how it was always an inspiration for him to see it flying in the wind..  I think today was the anniversary of Desert Storm that he was in submarines during.  My dad used to prefer nights and I worked them seven years.  Scott and my dad are a lot alike.  Always in a bad mood when they wake up, or get woke up.  He says he does not remember me being that way.  I wasn't, but in the early 1970's, I was under a doctor's prescription for amphetamines, so I just did not sleep much.  He, my daughter and granddaughter must have vampire bloodline somewhere because I could not have done it without the drugs.  I will say again, they were legal (but a horrible thing to get off of).  Should not have been legal.  

• Like 1

We are so relieved you are safe, Marg, and your family.  I finally got a hold of my friends in TX and they were not hit, different area.  I guess Arkansas got hit pretty hard as well.  What a mess, some people lost everything.  I'm glad I am not in hurricane/tornado country, but we did have that one bad storm w/o water, electricity, phone, internet for nine days, couldn't drive if we wanted to, too much snow, no mail, no garbage pickup, no contact with the world.

• Like 2

On 8/28/2020 at 4:15 AM, Gwenivere said:

Did some sleuthing and Marg was here a few hours ago.  Now we just need to hear from her if she was close or not.  Oh Marg?!?   

Glad you’re ok Shirley.  George, hope you get thru this storm without damage.

No damage. Just some rain. - Shalom

• Like 4