Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Panic Attacks?

CFH

Hi guys,

I haven't posted here for a while, but I still browse it often.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced panic attacks following the death of a loved one? My mom passed away just over a year ago, and I've found that since then I have become prone to getting significant anxiety/panic attacks. I've always been a bit of an anxious person, but I never experienced any severe attacks until after my mom's death. These attacks occur intermittently and most often happen while I'm trying to sleep. I'm home from work today because I had one last night, I didn't get to sleep until around 3-4am, so I called my boss and told him I was sick. I feel kind of guilty about it, but I didn't want to be driving around all day feeling like this.

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced these types of episodes? If so, do you have any advice for dealing with them? My doctor prescribed me some ativan, which thankfully I have only had to take once since he gave them to me a month ago (I took 1/2 of one last night). It seems to help in a minor way, but the last thing I want is to develop a dependency on them. I'm really frustrated by this, because I have a great opportunity coming up this summer to go to a university field school, a significant component of my education, which will require me to live on a remote island doing archaeological work for 6 weeks this summer. I really don't want to not be able to attend.

This anxiety is starting my make me wonder if I have somehow been driving "over the edge" so to speak by the stresses associated with my situation. Any help at all would be appreciated.

Sorry for rambling.

Josh

Josh,

I haven't had such attacks but my wife had a great deal of difficulty with that in her final year. I am not a medical professional but I have learned enough about this that I don't find what you're describing surprising:

1. You tend to be a little anxious anyway, which means your neurochemistry or some other component of your autonomic nervous system (ANS) is balanced a little precariously. The ANS has a down-regulation and an up-regulation function that have to be in balance. When they drift or oscillate you have anxiety to some degree or other.

2. You've been under stress, perhaps chronic stress.

You are right not to take Ativan like candy, it is a benzodiazepine-class drug and it can be hard for some people to get off of. Linda has this concern also but her doctor (a very wise MD by the way, as well as leaning towards holistic / integrative medical practice) explained it this way: "When you need it you need it -- the difficulty in getting off it is not the drug itself so much as the unresolved underlying cause. When the cause is removed you will not need the drug and you will quit taking it."

In Linda's case the underlying cause was dysautonomia, a fancy way of saying that the ANS is not properly balanced and controlled. This was caused in turn by a cascade of other problems; likely for you it is less complicated, probably a genetic weakness exacerbated by stress.

Personally if I were in your situation I would spend some quality time learning meditation techniques until I found one that helped to prevent and/or calm attacks. I would practice this regularly, even when not having an overt attack. In the meantime, Ativan, perhaps with a fast acting beta blocker like Propanolol for any as-needed "stage fright" style stress that you anticipate.

Even though I'm not typically pro-pharma, this particular combination can be useful because it can keep you from getting into a vicious circle of attacks followed by fear of attacks which prompts more attacks, etc. Once your "fight or flight" response is revved up consistently it can get stuck that way. You want to avoid that.

My wife used Ativan and Propanolol to manage her fairly severe symptoms pretty well with minimal side effects (and she was very much prone to drug reactions, ordinarily). To be honest I slipped an Ativan myself once in awhile when my nerves felt particularly shot.

I'd hit the Ativan just a bit harder (within the dosage prescribed of course), at least when you know your struggling -- your idea of divided doses is excellent but don't be too miserly either. I'll bet that with a combination of drugs and relaxation mediation you can make it through your work and study needs just fine.

Good luck,

--Bob

Hi, Jackie. If the attacks are affecting you on a regular basis, I would suggest going to see your doctor about them. There are plenty of medications and therapies that can be used to help you. I am always hesitant to use meds, but that doesn't mean they aren't extremely beneficial to some people. If you need to talk about them, feel free to post about it here or to send me a PM, I'll try to check them regularly.

Josh.

Hi Josh,

These certainly sound like symptoms of a panic attack to me, but the first thing I would recommend is that you make an appointment with your primary care physician as soon as possible, in order to rule out any other physical causes for your symptoms.

That said, I want to add to what Bob suggests, and point you to some additional resources that you may find helpful and informative.

Over the last twenty years, researchers and clinicians have developed a number of useful tools for coping with anxiety. Such tools are highly effective, practical, efficient, fast-acting and accessible, and work well by themselves and in conjunction with other forms of therapy.

These new therapies include Guided Imagery, Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), Thought Field Therapy (TFT), Emotional Freedom Technique(EFT), Tapas Acupressure Technique (TAP), Prolonged Exposure Therapy (PET), Trauma Incident Reduction (TIR), Imagery Rehearsal Therapy (IRT), Visual Kisesthetic Dissociation (VKD), and Somatic Experiencing (SE), among others. All those choices may seem overwhelming, but I encourage you to read more about them, most especially about the potent tool of guided imagery. A good place to start is on the Alternative Healing page of my Grief Healing Web site, where you will find links to many helpful resources. See these especially:

Panic Attacks, at http://healthjourneys.com/Product_Detail.aspx?id=360

Columns and Articles by Belleruth Naparstek, at http://www.beliefnet.com/author/author_64.html

Emotional Freedom Techniques, at http://www.emofree.com/

Guided Imagery or Visualization, at http://www.holistic-online.com/guided-imagery.htm

Healing Affirmations, at http://www.beliefnet.com/story/26/story_2680_1.html

Belleruth Naparstek's Guided Imagery Center, at http://www.healthjourneys.com

Thanks Marty. I've made an appointment to see a psychiatrist on June 9th, which was the earliest possible date. I'll just white-knuckle it until then. I'm going to try and refrain from taking the Ativan unless I absolutely have to, I just don't like the idea of being doped up.

Thanks for the help.

Josh

Josh,

I have suffered from panic attacks on and off my whole life. During my twenties, it got so bad that I became agoraphobic. I finally "fought" my way out of it, but it took several years and caused me so much agony. After my dad died, I went into full panic mode again and spent a week trying to get out of it. I couldn't, so I called my doctor and he put me on Lexapro and Clonazepam. I still take the Lexapro and 1 mg. of the clonazepam before I go to bed. I hate taking medications, but I wouldn't stop the Lexapro for anything. So, if you need help, please seek it. You may want to try some other medication and, of course, other methods that are out there now. Good luck.

Hugs,

Shell

Josh,

I dont have any great advice, just wanted to let you know I am struggling with panic/anxiety right now too. My mom died Dec.06 and my dad Oct 07...I got thru that time without any panic attacks..it wasnt until months later that it started. They hit me out of no-where. Last week my husband brought a business associate and his wife out to our house. She wanted to see my horses. I knew she was very ill, but had never met her. She got out of the car and took my husband's arm and started to walk in...I turned and saw her and it was like seeing my mom all over again. That moment brought back so much..I lost it and could not get away from all of them, fast enough.I couldnt breathe, felt like I was going to pass out..etc. I was supposed to go to dinner with the group, but couldn't.I am sure they thought I was very rude. I have a great therapist and am working with her to figure out how to get thru this. I too, am not crazy about taking medication, just a personal choice. I hope you find some relief and have a peaceful night.

Hi Josh,

I too suffer from panic attacks. When they strike there is usually no warning. I had one a few weeks ago while walking along a busy street. I had to turn into one of the stores and I sought out the sanctuary of the bathroom. Was an absolute wreck for around 15 minutes.

What has helped is learning how to breathe properly. Now I do breathing exercises every day, which has helped to take away some of the anxiety. Sometimes, though there are triggers/events that cause an attack and it is unavoidable - though the severity of each attack is now not so bad thanks to the breathing exercises.

• 2 weeks later...

i have had a few panic attacks in the past.

not fun.

i too have avoided taking ativan, even though i have been proscribed it several times i think i have really only ever, in about 10 years, taken 3 or 4 pills!

it's strange how the attacks can seem to come from nowhere.

about a month ago i went for a run, came home, took a shower, and got into bed to read.

very normal for me. 20 minutes later i was having a panic attack for apparently no reason.

except there was a reason, of course. all the times in my life where i've had panic attacks, the underlying cause was massive change that i was not dealing with consciously.

my first panic attack occured when i decided to leave everything and all my family and friends and move to a new city.

after a few months there i hated it, and moved again, close to my parents and family, yet still dealt with low level anxiety a lot of the time.

in hindsight now i realise that my life was ripped apart, albiet by my own doing, and that part of me had died the day i left my comfortable existance in the city of my birth.

part of me had died, and i hadn't taken the time to consciously accept that and mourn it properly.

just like a month ago, when i wasn't consciously aware of how painful and horrible it's going to be to plan my upcoming wedding and know that my dad will not be there.

just remember, it's not always going to be like this. it's not.

peace.

I know exactly what you are going through. Panic attacks are not pleasant.

I have been having them off and on since my dad died Feb. 2008.

Ativan is my drug now and it works.

I would feel like I was dying, could not breathe, was hyperventilating and my heart was beating so fast.

Good luck in your healing

Hi All,

I would just like to add that if you are taking medication for panic attacks, it is important to take your medication all the time, every day, for it to work properly. Also, if you take it for awhile, you shouldn't just suddenly stop, as this can cause the attacks to come back even worse. You have to wean off most of them gradually. Just thought I'd bring this up. I take Lexapro and know this to be true of my meds, and would assume most of them work the same way. Good luck to all of you.

Hugs,

Shell

Well, I just want to say that I was happy to see this topic. My mom has lung CA and is on hospice and living with us and my father (they are divorced) was found unexpectedly dead in his apartment just over a month ago. Ever since then I have been experiencing the same thing, just a sudden irrational fear, heart pounding, shaking and dizziness. My doctor prescribed medication for me, an anti-depressent and clonazapam as needed for anxiety. Some days I am very anxious, most days I am depressed and can't do anything and feel totally overwhelmed by the most mundane tasks, and occassionally I feel very angry and out of control. And some days, I cycle through everything over and over. Does anyone know when this will stop?

Rachel,

I'm so sorry about your mom and the unexpected death of your dad. You are dealing with a tremendous amount and I'm glad you sought out help. I take Lexapro and Clonazepam and they have worked for me, but you may have to try different meds before finding ones that work. I also have to say that I took these meds for anxiety attacks, not particularly depression. I still get depressed and sometimes I feel overwhelmed, but I can "handle" it. The meds don't solve all of this, but if you're still having anxiety attacks and are taking your medications on a daily basis (or whatever the dosage was ) then you probably should talk to your doctor and let him know. Like I said, you may just need a different antidepressant. Hang in there.

Hugs to you,

Shell

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I haven't posted here for a while, but I still browse it often.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced panic attacks following the death of a loved one? My mom passed away just over a year ago, and I've found that since then I have become prone to getting significant anxiety/panic attacks. I've always been a bit of an anxious person, but I never experienced any severe attacks until after my mom's death. These attacks occur intermittently and most often happen while I'm trying to sleep. I'm home from work today because I had one last night, I didn't get to sleep until around 3-4am, so I called my boss and told him I was sick. I feel kind of guilty about it, but I didn't want to be driving around all day feeling like this.

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced these types of episodes? If so, do you have any advice for dealing with them? My doctor prescribed me some ativan, which thankfully I have only had to take once since he gave them to me a month ago (I took 1/2 of one last night). It seems to help in a minor way, but the last thing I want is to develop a dependency on them. I'm really frustrated by this, because I have a great opportunity coming up this summer to go to a university field school, a significant component of my education, which will require me to live on a remote island doing archaeological work for 6 weeks this summer. I really don't want to not be able to attend.

This anxiety is starting my make me wonder if I have somehow been driving "over the edge" so to speak by the stresses associated with my situation. Any help at all would be appreciated.

Sorry for rambling.

Josh

Hi Josh,

i also am having panic attacks. I got them when my 1st husband died and now i a having them again since I just lost my finance. My doctor put me on depression medication (lexapro) which really helps. It will also help you sleep. I have Valium as well but that does not help with the panic attacks. So ask your doctor about some depression medication. I wouldn't go out or even answer my phone I had them so bad. I would have to force myself to go out even to the doctor's. Hope this helps you.

Sharon

Josh and Sharon,

I deal with an herbalist all the time, especially for my dogs. There is something called Melatonin which you can get in the grocery store/drug store or health food store, it is all natural and has been used for years for anxiety. Check with your doctor and see what they may reccomend, there are no known side effects or chances of addiction as it is an herb. I have been using this for years for myself and with my one dog also as she used to panic so badly during thunderstorms and now I give her a half of one and within 15 mins she is completely calm and the storms do not bother her yet it does not make her sleepy. Good Luck to you.

Love,

Wendy :wub:

• 1 month later...

Hello!

I too have Anxiety attacks!! they started a month after my dad passed away..in april 08..... i feel dizzy...like i may pass out....i fear that im dying...or something may really be wrong with my health...my heart flutters...and beats very fast...i even sometimes feel like "im in a dream" (if that makes any sense) sometimes its hard to breathe! i was prescribed Xanax....does anyone else have these problems?? or has anyone taken Xanax?? i am prescribed to take 1.0mg 3times a day.....(i do not) i take 0.25...once a day... i dont want to become addicted...

Oh yes I also will have anxiety attacks from time to time. Just had one a week ago Saturday night. Found out that my daughter had posted a tribute online to my husband, and it was beautiful and just broke my heart. She even included pictures of him as they were taking him in to the hospital, pictures that brought back alot of memories and the music was beautiful. She did not tell me for fear of how I would react, boy was she right. If it had not been for taking a Xanax and talking with Fred I don't know how I would have coped. In the beginning I took Xanax when needed and at bedtime to help me sleep. Now I only take it when necessary. I am so sorry about your Dad...(((HUGS)))

Love,

Im sorry to hear about your loss!!! that was very sweet of your daughter...but i know its hard to see things like that....sometimes you just want to pretend like it never happend...and seeing things like that or talking about it....brings it all to surface....and its soo hard!!!! i read what u said about the Melatolin?? my mom has been taking that for a very long time to help her sleep...b/c someone told her it was alot better for her than taking sleeping meds like tylenol PM......i had no idea it would help for anxiety problems!!!???

Mississippi Girl,

Yes Melatonin is great to use for sleeping problems but also can be used for anxiety, just always remember to buy the man made synthetic version as apposed to the natural version. Studies show that people who suffer from major depression or panic disorder have low levels of melatonin. Healthy individuals with mild episodic depression and patients who have Seasonal Affective Disorder, (SAD -- a mild depression that correlates with fall and winter -- periods of light-phase shortening) also have lower than normal melatonin levels. I am not a doctor so please talk with your physician or go to your local health food store and talk to them before taking this. I use Holistics with my dogs and I use this to calm my one Japanese Chin with her anxiety from thunderstorms or fireworks. This takes about 15 mins to take affect but when it does she is now calm and no longer shakes and panics yet it does not make her drowsy....just calms her nerves and allows her to relax.

Good Luck.

Love,

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd drop in and let you know how things are going for me. I'm not around here much, frankly because I don't like having to face the reality of what has happened. I'm not in denial or anything, it's just too hard to think about. I know that's not the most healthy way of doing things... I feel bad about it, but it's hard to be on here sometimes. I still lurk from time to time, I just don't post much.

My anxiety is still there (GAD, social anxiety, OCD-type thinking), I've been seeing a psychaitrist for it, but it's definitely a slow process. I've learned meditation techniques, which sometimes seem to help, but I'm now considering asking to be put on anti-depressants, which I'm told are helpful for anxiety. I don't really want to take them, but if nothing else works I will have no choice. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Anyways, I'm glad I'm not alone in dealing with these issues. I was always a fairly anxious person, but since my mom's death it seems to have grown exponentially.

Josh