Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Contact With Deceased

Lately I've been wondering what George would tell me to do in my situation...we used to talk over everything and I found his opinion to be invaluable to me. I've wondered, if he could make contact with me, a sign, or anything, what would he let me know. Has anyone else ever wondered anything like that? Has anyone received what they perceived to be signs or answers to things they needed to know, from their loved one? Or am I just wondering something too far out there...

Yes Kay, Steve did communicate with me once, I believe I posted this once before but for new people I will tell it again. I had an extremely real dream one night that Steve and I were walking up his old street where he grew up. We were walking and talking but I could not see him. As we approached his house we looked in the front window and his mother was terribly upset and was being consoled by some other people. The meaning of this dream was 1) even though I could not see Steve does not mean that he is not here with me and 2) even though I did not get along with my mother in law did not mean she was not grieveing his loss too. Yes I do know this was a visit from Steve and it was not only very comforting but I called my mother in law the next day and we had a nice talk.

Love,

Wendy

Kay, I don't think this is exactly what you are looking for, but I had a dream 3 weeks ago that may have been a communication of sorts. I sleep on the right side of the bed; Janet used to sleep on the left. I generally sleep on my right side, but when she was alive I would always start out on my left side with my left arm under her pillow and my right arm around her. After a while I would roll over on my right side and go to sleep.

On this particular night I was reading in bed and got sleepy, so I turned out the light. I rolled onto my left side and put my left arm under Janet's pillow and my right hand on the pillow. I soon fell asleep in this position and began to dream. In the dream I was downstairs (my bedroom is upstairs) in the hallway that leads to the bedroom where Janet died. We moved down there when she became too weak to negotiate the stairs. There is a bathroom that opens onto the hallway and the bedroom is at the end of the hallway. As I walked down the hallway toward the bedroom I noticed that the door to the bathroom was slightly ajar. I said something to one of my sons who was somewhere else in the house. I don't remember what I said, but it must have been humorous because I heard laughter coming from the bathroom. I walked on to the bedroom, stood at the doorway and looked inside. The room was very neat and the bed was covered with a gold-colored bedspread. As I stood there I suddenly realized that the laughter I heard was Janet's! I walked to the bathroom and stuck my left hand through the crack in the door. On the other side I could feel someone gently grip my hand.

Suddenly I was transported (still in the dream) back to the bedroom upstairs. I could still feel someone holding my hand. I imagined it was Janet and cried out "Oh, Sweetie!" Right then I awoke and could still feel the sensation of someone holding my hand, but it quickly dissipated and was gone.

I don't know that this was a communication from Janet. I'd like to think so, but it was probably just a very vivid dream. It was definitely the best dream I've had in some time. I have had dreams where I was looking for Janet but could not find her, dreams where I could see her but not talk to her, and even a couple of dreams where she spoke to me. This was the only one where I experienced her touch.

Mike

Bob and I hunted together for years. He would walk ahead of me and I'd follow along and "bring up the rear." His passing before me feels like he is paving the way, finding the trail, so he can show me when I am ready to join him. I don't know what he would have to say to me now. I just imagine him when I see him again how excited he'll be to show me all the best spots.

Kay:

I have received many signs from my Alex. In fact my husband was a true believer of ghosts, visions and all forms of parnormal. In fact he was writing a book about it. He also believed that the dead do send signs to their loved ones as they are dying and after. The morning just before Alex passed I received a call from a very good friend of his who on occasion came to visit Alex in the hospital. She had not seen him in a while, so it just seemed to be so wierd that she would call that evening and right after that I got a call from the hospital saying that he was not doing well. She came with me to the hospital at 1:00 in the morning. Alex did not want me to be alone when he was dying. There are many material things around the house that all of a sudden appear, where I thought that I had lost them or had mentioned them in passing. I was talking to someone about going to Atlantic City, either I would drive or take a bus. I was telling that person if I drove I would have to get directions. About a week after that I was throughing some papers out and I found specific directions to Atlantic City that my husband had written some time ago on how to get to Atlantic City. Just about a month ago I had the gas company come to my home to check on my boiler and bleed my radiators. The rep. told me I could get the key that opens the radiator from any hardware store. Again, I was in Alex's office and on a shelf around a rubber band, there was this key.

Now you might think that this is a made up. But, believe me, if I did not see it, I would not believe it myself.

I don't believe in coinstances. These are very comforting signs to me.

So, Kay you are not too far out there. If you feel something that is a sign from your husband, then just believe that is what it is.

I don't tell many people about this, because they might think I am nuts or they say that's what you want to believe.

I find it amazing at times when these things happen and it puts a smile on my face.

I hope Kay that it happens to you that way.

Love and God Bless

Jeanne

Well the only thing I've had happen are rainbows...when I've needed them, not when the weather was conducive to it. I received one yesterday morning, it wasn't sunny at all, in fact it was very sopped in and overcast, dark ugly clouds, and there was a small rainbow just as I was wishing I could hear from George. When he died there was a massive thunder and lightening storm and several rainbows, it was like a spectacular light display just for him.

Guest moparlicious

Kay my dear,

I have had many contacts with Dan, at my condo I heard loud knocking on the window of my bedroom, at first I thought I was hearing things or going crazy, but it happened 3 times and our kids heard it 2x we went outside and checked everywhere to find it was quite and still as a mouse. Dan loved hummingbirds and I see them at random places with no feeders in site, I have also had a pair fly in my face and almost touch my nose.Our youngest daughter also saw her dad at our new house in the hallway, above her bed, he has never been here or lived here EVER!!!!!! I had a spirtual healer tell me Dan is around me alot , she felt a presence around me and I did not tell her of my loss, she told me things about me and I never met her in my life, like how many children we have, what Dan died of, I am in school she knew it, I never even told her my last name so she could not do a internet search and she did not even know I was coming over, she even knew that Dan passed away a yr ago, some may think its creepy but I believe in spirits, angels and all that stuff. God is truly my higher power.After I told Dan to go be with God, I still see tons of hummingbirds and feel his prescence. Love, Kim

I've posted before about times when my husband has sent me signs or messages. For example, he helped me find the spare remote control for my car alarm system when without it, I would have had to spend several hundred dollars to have the old system stripped out so I could regain control of the car's ignition system. Bill also has helped me locate his wallet and important documents I needed to collect his life insurance benefits. There was also the time he left me the little Lucite stone with the message "Miracles happen to those who believe."

I feel his presence all the time, and even though I've seen several articles about bees dying off and becoming scarce, almost every day I see them around the front of my house. That's significant because "Bee" or "Mr. Bee" was my nickname for Bill.

Also, my dad was great at handyman stuff so whenever I'm having trouble trying to fix something by myself, I call on him for help. And either suddenly, I'll know how to get the job done or I'll hear from someone who can do it for me.

Kay, if you need George's help or just want some reassurance that he's still around you, just tell him and you should receive his response. You may not get an answer or a sign right away, and it may not come in the form you expect, so be open to receiving contact in any way at any time. You'll know when it's him.

Kay - several weeks ago I woke as I usually do at 4 am - to go into my deli. I put the weather channel on, like I always do. You know how they have music in the background during the "local and accurate"? Well, Mercy, Mercy came on. It was Joe's favorite song - he would sing it to me. But only played then once, and several other days, but only in the early morning when I was awake. I like to think it was him telling me to have a good day. There have been other small things, too - I went upstairs yesterday and noticed a small bunch of hair at the doorway of our second bedroom- it was his, from when he took it out of the rubber band he always wore to keep his ponytail back. I've vacuumed that room several times since he died.

So I don't know, but I hope and pray and believe. Thank you for this post, I was feeling down, and getting this out makes me feel better. Marsha

Guest Vickie O'Neil

Hello All,

I've actually seen the deceased appear & speak to me twice..only a few words. My Dad 3 days after he passed & my 1st husbands Grandpa...which was in broad daylight & really scared me. Most people would discount when Dad appeared that I was dreaming...not so! 4 AM & both dogs jumped on my bed & their bodies pressing on me woke me. I snapped on the light..& Dad naterialized. I noticed my curtains were blowing, even though the windows were closed, & no ceiling fan on. Dad said little.."don't worry, I'm fine"..& his hair was blowing in the breeze.

I would surely love to talk to Pat..even a few words. I read something recently that said some go into a deep sleep after passing, & it takes time maybe 1 or 2 years for them to wake up. Grandpa was very psychic, & my Dad was ready to go..I know in my own heart Dad chose the time & moment. Pat was not ready to go..we were still waiting on the Transplant.

I don't dream about Pat, either...not one time. Nor see anything strange happening around this house. I do hear him sometimes...but its in my own mind...simply a repetition of the dear & familiar words, that he said so many times...an Echo.

Vickie

KayC, I think all you have to do is ask George to help guide you and be open for the signs. I've had many signs from Larry, some where he has actually knocked stuff off the wall, to get my attention. If I can't find something, I'll ask him to help and things will show up in the strangest places. A few days after he died I woke up and felt his hand brush across my cheek. It was so real I reached out as if I could reach his hand. His own mother was here in my home, no one else was here, just her and I, we were talking and crying together about a week after he died. The house was totally quite and a gift he had given me (a blue and white porcelan starfish) that hangs on the wall in the diningroom where we were sitting just fell right off the wall to the ground, not breaking. We both were so shocked at something falling off the wall and then we both looked at each other and at the same time said "he's here". You could feel him totally in the room. I just wanted to share one of my experiences with you, Deborah

Guest Vickie O'Neil

One more Weird Thing. The night Pat died...I left Hospice at 6PM..I was never able to sleep in that room..being thre all day was more than I could stand..& my little sister slept there every night in the recliner at Hospice. I stopped at a gas station on the way home was pulling out...when an old Motor Home took off, just like Pat's the one we made so many trips in..an old Dodge, same color. Sure enough the door flew open on it..Pat's door never latched right.

Long story short Pat died that night, 4 hours later. Perhaps coincidence, perhaps not...that old Dodge Motor Home..can't be too many out there still..it was a 1988.

If I could surmise what Patrick would say to me...when that door flew open it would be this "I'm gettin out of Dodge"!

Love, Vickie

Signs, it appears, come in many ways. I've been praying for two weeks for God to send me an eagle to let me know Bob was in heaven and doing okay. (I read if you ask for specific things, they will appear.) No signs came to me. Saturday night I was exhausted and rented a movie to watch. The DVD player was not working and I don't know what happened to it. I was upset with the kids for messing with it and hurt that Bob wasn't here to take care of it and tried for hours to get it to run. Needless to say - no movie.

I called Bob's brother for suggestions and he was out. It turned out his wife is the guru at their house and she happened to have a DVD player I could have. She also had ordered me a copy of "Continental Divide" which was mine and Bob's favorite movie of all times. I told her I didn't think I would be able to watch it because I didn't want to spend hours crying. I picked up the DVD player Sunday morning and got it hooked up really easily. Thinking I could use the comic relief of John Belushi, I put in "our" movie instead of the one I rented. There was a point in it where they climbed to the top of a mountain and there, sitting on a lone branch, were two eagles. Watching them soar and play ever so freely, I knew that this was my message. Bob is okay. I have no doubt. I didn't cry, but sat there dumbstruck at how the chaos of the day before could be the reason for receiving the message I longed for. The funny thing is, I know every line of this movie and not once did I expect to see the eagles until they appeared. Pretty cool, eh?

Oh Kath, that is so special! There is no doubt in my mind that God allowed this as a sign to you to let you know that, yes indeed, he is alright. :) That means so much to me as it encourages me that answers can and do come.

Love,

KayC

Kay, dear ~ I just found the following story in my e-mail this morning (sent to me by my friend Sandy Goodman, author of Love Never Dies). Given the title of this thread, it seems appropriate that I share it here with all of you:

New York Times

November 11, 2008

Frequent Flier

Making a Connection on a Direct Flight

By JOHN EDWARD; as told to JOAN RAYMOND

MY life is about making connections.

It can be amusing when people recognize me in the airport. There have been a number of times when someone on a cellphone glances at me, and then a split-second later I hear, “Oh my God, there’s the guy who talks to dead people.”

I just shrug. But I really am the guy who talks to dead people.

However, if you see me getting coffee at the airport and you come up and ask how your dead grandma is doing, I won’t be able to tell you. It really doesn’t work like that. Even if you offer to buy me a double espresso.

But sometimes connections do happen when you least expect it.

I was headed to Miami. And when I boarded the plane, I immediately noticed one particular flight attendant. The minute I saw her I wanted to give her a hug. I didn’t.

I am not the kind of guy who gives strangers hugs for no reason. You can get arrested for that. But I thought my reaction was very unusual.

Apparently, so did the attendant. She was looking at me as if she recognized me. I thought that maybe she knew me from TV.

I went to my seat, and I didn’t think anything more it. But after we took off, she approached me and asked me whether I knew her family.

I asked her some questions, like where they were from. But nothing clicked. I didn’t know them.

During the flight she came up to me several other times, asking me whether I was absolutely sure I didn’t know her family. I kept saying that I did not.

Finally, she approached me again and said that she thought I was connected to her father in some way.

I wanted to put her at ease, so I told her I was that guy from TV and maybe she knew me from the show. She said she never heard of me or of my TV show “Cross Country.”

At this point, my seatmate, who was listening to our various conversations, was absolutely dumbfounded that this attendant was still insisting that I knew her family.

A few minutes later, another flight attendant approached me.

She was quite upset. She said that she didn’t know who I was or what I do, but her colleague was quite emotional. And this attendant was sure I had something to do with it.

Now, I thought the best thing I could do was get up out of my seat and go talk to the attendant who insisted that her family knew me.

We sat in the galley area, and I told her how I wanted to give her a hug when I got on the plane, even though I didn’t know her. And then something amazing happened. I started talking to her about her dead father. I knew his name and the names of other people in her family who were with him on the other side. I told her about all the feelings he had for her and for his family. But most of all I told her he was O.K., and he wanted her to be well, too.

I went to give her a hug. And then I placed two fingers on her shoulder. It was a gesture that was completely foreign for me.

And when I placed my fingers on her shoulder, the attendant broke into tears.

But they were tears of joy. She told me her dad used to do the same thing.

I may not be able to tell you when a flight is going to be canceled or delayed. And I certainly can’t help you with stock tips. Or the blackjack table in Vegas.

But sometimes, what I can do brings some closure to people who need it.

By John Edward, as told to Joan Raymond.

E-mail: joan.raymond@nytimes.com

The night following Kathy's accidental death I fell asleep with a candle burning on a cabinet at the foot of our bed.

I awoke after falling asleep, looking at the shadows that the flame cast onto the wall, and for a moment I could see in these shadows, the words "I'm OK".

I still believe this was a reassuring message direct from Kathy.

All I can say is WOW to both stories! Thanks for sharing that.

Guest Vickie O'Neil

Kath,

It sounds like you prayed in your Sign, & it helped you immensely. I think all of us need & want that reassurance that there truly is life after death...because I don't care how strong your belief systems are, when someone you Love is gone you need to know that their OK...& being human we'd like some proof. Our worlds have been shocked & rocked to the foundations.

My great Aunt died 3 years ago at age 100...& we discussed this topic. Maggie said her husband visited her & spoke to her many times, & my Aunt was only 93, & mentally clear as a bell, & a staunch Christian. She did not believe in ghosts...she believed in the Bible & the Farmers Almanac, & there was nothing in her to tell a lie.

So I will wait for my Pat to come when he is ready & able, be patient & wait.

Vickie

THREE WHITE BIRDS

I haven't had contact with my husband that I'm aware of unless looking at situations from his side and mine before making major decisisons count.

Looking at things from both angles has helped to keep me from making some bad decisions.

The following story hasn't been shared with many people outside of my family. It happened shortly after the death of our daughter.

In 1993 we lost our oldest daughter Viann, to Kidney failure due to complications of Diabetes. I had comforted myself with the thought that she was safely in heaven with Jesus and had been reunited with my mother and father.

Then I began to have doubts. How did I know there really is a heaven? Are the things that I have believed all of life really true? Does God really exist? Is heaven a myth?

Shortly after that I read a story in Guideposts Magazine written by a woman who had lost her son. She had been going through the same doubts that I was and whenever she would pray about her son, a white bird would appear in her yard and her sisters yard simutaneously, (the sister lived a long distance from her and there were no native white birds in the state.)

She took it as a sign from God that her son was indeed in Heaven, and it gave her peace.

Reading the story eased my mind. When I finished the story I prayed, "Please God, I need three white birds". I have never asked for or expected proof from God at any time in my life before that moment and I'm not sure I was asking for a sign then. I think it was more a prayer for comfort than for a sign. I was comforted by my prayers and forgot about it since there are no wild white birds in the Arizona desert that I know of.

The very next day as I was driving Viann's oldest daughter, Heather, to work; three very beautiful large white birds in perfect formation soared through the sky directly in front of the car. They weren't flying, they had their wings outstretched and seemed to be gliding on the air currents.

We both noticed them at the same time. Heather said, "Grandma, Look at those white birds, I've never seen anything so beautiful! As you can imagine I was awestruck and immediately gave thanks to God for the wonder of it all! We turned to see where they went, but the sky was empty.

A little over a year later, my brother became Ill with terminal cancer. My husband and I went to Texas to help care for him so that he could spend his last days at his home on the lake with his family around him.

We were all Christians and were comforted by prayer and bible reading.

When we wanted to pray alone we would go out on their deck. We began to refer to their deck as the "Chapel On The Lake".

The situation was heartbreaking and wonderful at the same time. In spite of his terrible illness we were able to spend countless hours together on the deck of their home. The quality of the time we had together was awe inspiring!

The day before he died my husband and I walked down to the lake. As I was standing there taking in the beauty of it all and at the same time crying and praying for my brother, a white bird flew across the lake. A sense of peace overwhelmed me and I knew that he was going to be safe in the arms of God very soon.

That night he prayed with his oldest son and told him that he was ready to let go and let God take care of him. He left us that night as I was praying and asking God to take him and end his suffering.

When a nephew died there was a 21 gun salute planned at the cemetery. As the minister was praying the final prayer a single white bird flew across the sky in front of the mourners, most of who knew my white bird story! The looks of joy among the family were glorious to behold!

When the minister finished his prayer the guns were fired and hundreds of pigeons burst from the surrounding trees-not one of them was white!

Shortly after my husband died, I was having a very bad day. I had been keeping the house dark and hadn't opened the curtains in weeks. Suddenly sick of the dark, I walked to the window, pulled the curtains back, and saw a beautiful white bird sitting on a wire. I've seen it many times over the last 2 1/2 years and it's come very close to me several times. Though I haven't felt any direct communication from my husband when I see it, it definately does bring me feelings of peace.

Marty:

Those stories give me hope in that we do get closure and that our loves ones are OK. Until my husband died I never thought that it meant so much to me to know that he was ok. The whole grieving process is about our loved ones and if they do communicate and that they are at peace. I have at times and still do want to see a someone like John Edwards. to give me reassurance of some kind, but then I am afraid that I might not hear the good news.

Love and God Bless,

Jeanne

I know that we are to go by faith - things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen - yet we are finite human beings and so often it helps to have something/someone that is beyond our manipulation, to confirm what we need to know within us. It has been that way with rainbows for me, for the night George died there was a spectacular storm, s spectacular it was on the front page of the newspaper the next morning and my sister emailed me pictures of it...he indeed went out with a bang...and to see the triple rainbow that occurred along with it, well it was truly breathtaking. A month or two later I was driving down to church in the early evening and praying for God to give me a sign that George was okay...and off to the right I saw a beautiful rainbow. I'd seen no rain beforehand, yet it was there with all of it's splendor and colors! The other day I was feeling a need to hear from him, and again, I saw a rainbow, just a small one, but there all the same, to bring comfort to my heart.

I know he is okay, God gave him a life beyond, it is for me and my lack of faith that I need these little encouragements, and I'm grateful that God grants them ever so often.

I miss my dad so much that I started talking to him everyday. I always asked him for advice on everyting. Even when he was into his 90's I would still ask him. He did give me one very good piece of advice and that was to keep the man that I am with happy and make a good life together. The first time he met my now hubby he said he is a loving and loyal man, and dad was so right. And he barely knew him, but dad said he speaks from his heart.

I can still hear dad saying those words to me.

Each day I take time to talk to dad and tell him about my life.

I will never stop talking to dad.

• 1 year later...

Lately I've been wondering what George would tell me to do in my situation...we used to talk over everything and I found his opinion to be invaluable to me. I've wondered, if he could make contact with me, a sign, or anything, what would he let me know. Has anyone else ever wondered anything like that? Has anyone received what they perceived to be signs or answers to things they needed to know, from their loved one? Or am I just wondering something too far out there...

I keep wondering about signs. I said this on another post, but I'm repeating myself here - partly because I'm sitting here alone thinking about it - how do we know when we receive a sign? I'm convinced my husband would tell me to stop obsessing over things that happened in the past. He would have told me not to worry about them, that he loves me, that he wants me to move forward - for me and for our kids. But I just wish - actually I yearn - for a sign of some sort. Anything. I haven't even had a dream where he appeared. I did have one dream, where I knew he was upstairs or around somewhere, but not right beside me. Still, I would love to see him, hear his voice, get some sort of confirmation that he is with me.

When he was diagnosed with cancer, I prayed every day to God that he would survive, and thought I saw signs telling me he would be okay. But of course - he died anyway. So how do we know what are signs and what aren't? And if they are signs, how do we know what they mean?

Melina