Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Significant Quotes

mfh

I like Mary's 10/26 piece...the only thing I'd change is instead of a piece of my heart, he OWNS my heart!

As I see it ~ we are all on a journey of new beginnings. May we each be open to what our hearts are telling us.

10806441_874752439224934_292862797890851

For a New Beginning

In out-of-the-way places of the heart,
Where your thoughts never think to wander,
This beginning has been quietly forming,
Waiting until you were ready to emerge.

For a long time it has watched your desire,
Feeling the emptiness growing inside you,
Noticing how you willed yourself on,
Still unable to leave what you had outgrown.

It watched you play with the seduction of safety
And the gray promises that sameness whispered.
Heard the waves of turmoil rise and relent,
Wondered would you always live like this.

Then the delight, when your courage kindled,
And out you stepped onto new ground,
Your eyes young again with energy and dream,
A path of plenitude opening before you.

Though your destination is not yet clear
You can trust the promise of this opening;
Unfurl yourself into the grace of beginning
That is at one with your life's desire.

Awaken your spirit to adventure;
Hold nothing back, learn to find ease in risk;
Soon you will be home in a new rhythm
For your soul senses the world that awaits you.

John O'Donohue
Benedictus (To Bless the Space Between Us in the U.S.)

Photo: © Ann Cahill

Thank you for the above poem, Anne. Perfect timing, and just what I needed to read today. A beautiful promise and a chime of hope, even against the wintering sky.

namaste,

fae

What was it like to love him? asked Gratitude.

It was like being exhumed, I answered, and brought to life in a flash of brilliance.

What was it like to be loved in return? Asked Joy.

It was like being seen after a perpetual darkness, I replied. To be heard after a lifetime of silence.

What was it like to lose him? asked Sorrow. There was a long pause. I responded:

It was like hearing every goodbye ever said to me - said all at once. ~ Lang Leav, from Love & Misadventure

One of my favorite poets, Marty. Thank you. The last line of the one you posted has been one of my mantras for awhile.

ac0f38a8-0a61-4523-92ac-7ba6ca534a59.jpg“What was it like to lose him?"
Asked Sorrow.

There was a long pause
before I responded:

It was like hearing
every goodbye ever
said to
me -
said all at once.”

― Lang Leav
excerpted from
Love & Misadventure

For sure.

What is dying?

The Sailing Ship

What is dying?
I am standing on the seashore.
A ship sails to the morning breeze and starts for the ocean.
She is an object and I stand watching her
Till at last she fades from the horizon,
And someone at my side says, “She is gone!” Gone where?
Gone from my sight, that is all;
She is just as large in the masts, hull and spars as she was when I saw her,
And just as able to bear her load of living freight to its destination.
The diminished size and total loss of sight is in me, not in her;
And just at the moment when someone at my side says, “She is gone”,
There are others who are watching her coming,
And other voices take up a glad shout,
“There she comes” – and that is dying

- Bishop Charles Henry Brent (1862-1929)

"With an undefended heart, we can fall in love with life over and over every day. We can become children of wonder, grateful to be walking on earth, grateful to belong with each other and to all of creation. We can find our true refuge in every moment, in every breath." - Tara Brach

Photo: Janet Merrick

10624751_754910727915027_254756085534301

I love this lady's books ~ she inspires me.

"When we understand that this mysterious awareness is creating and shining through everything, including ourselves, we become 'a child of wonder.' We remain wholeheartedly engaged in life. We give ourselves to work and play, to creativity and passion, to our family and friends. We feel emotions, pleasure, and pain. And throughout it all, we remember our timeless nature. This allows us to move through the world with receptivity, awe, and unconditional love." ~ Tara Brach, "True Refuge"

Photo: Andy Prokh

1896900_756329527773147_8422886933463039

What a great message for this time of year ~

30 Days of Gratitude - Today I am grateful for patience - sometimes it's just best to go with the flow of life & simply be! ~ ~

1907871_10152860067932264_70457571789730
~ Healing Light

"How long does grief normally last?" It is exactly as I have learned to be true and often said, grief does not stay in the same intensity. For a close relationship like a beloved spouse, it can last a lifetime, but it will not stay in the same form, but will evolve, even as we are ever evolving on our journeys.

Thank you for the video, too. There are many here who are fresh in their journeys, I believe this message will be very meaningful for them, giving them hope.

A Thanksgiving Prayer for Thursday

© by Rev. Laurie Sue Brockway

Dear God, Goddess, Divine Spirit of all there is,

Thank you for the opportunity

to gather together in one another's company.

We thank you for the light

you bring to this family gathering.

Please grant us the vision to see the highest in one another,

and grant us the opportunity to continue to be there for each other

In good times, as well as not-so-great-times.

Give us strength and fortitude to ride the tides of change,

and empower us always to be nurturing and loving with one another.

Open our spiritual eyes that we may see one another for who we truly are...

and love one other in the same spirit.

May sadness, disappointment and anger be minimal;

May happiness, positive thoughts and good experiences together be bountiful.

May we always cope, and hope, with each other... with grace.

Amen.

[Rev. Laurie Sue Brockway is the author and instructor of these popular Self Healing Expressions courses:

Discovering the Goddess: A Path to Healing, Spirituality and Joy

Find Your Spiritual Soul Mate: Transforming Your Romantic Destiny with A Romantic Resume]

Dear Anne,

That is a beautiful statement of loss, the slow renewal of hope and life, of finding new reasons to live, and of accepting that in this circle of living and death, birth and life, we find ways to go on, to renew a purpose, reshape a dream, refresh love in a new way, and slowly learn to lean, once more, into our own lives and futures.

Thank you for finding and sharing such an inspiring and comforting piece. The image is also beautiful, as she touches the fallen wreath which holds so much of memory and love.

Yes, if I take any meds, I am still on bed alarm at nights, because almost any meds disorient me.

Coffee it is: we will get special stashes of some wildly exotic and delicious coffee just for special visits, and Jan will need cocoa, of course, and by then Kay and I will be well enough to drink anything we please, I hope :). I am looking forward to the day when I can have a lovely cup of delicious Mexican Mocha, with just a small shake of cinnamon, dark chocolate, a lovely deep roast, and steamed almond milk.

My friend Mary B brought in leaving time by Jodi Picoult for me to read, and it is a compelling novel.

Looks like surgery will be Tuesday if the blood work is all clear tomorrow, and that I might get home by Thursday or Friday. Meanwhile, I am resting, eating well, and looking forward to being much stronger. I got to talk to one patient today who had his gall bladder removed, and he has bounced back very well and it up and about with lots of energy. Kay, you and I will be doing really well very soon.

Anne, I know that with your keen insights and determination, you will find the right combination of physicians and therapists to help you with this spine challenge. I have watched you do so much to better your health and to face each day with optimism and determination, that I know you are going to do well with this present challenge as well.

For each of us, let us remember that our hearts have survived more than we ever imagined we might need to survive. For each of us, let these present challenges bring us renewal of our love of self, of our awareness of our precious bodies, and a renewal of our best images and feelings of health and the renewal of our life force.

*<twinkles>*

namaste

fae

I saw that wonderful piece on your Facebook earlier and can relate to everything in it. I think our hearts are much closer to the surface now aren't they? Our preoccupations are different. We see everything through the prism of our loss. I'm with you in spirit Fae as you go through the surgery and Kay and Anne, be well. It's morning here, a rather dull day. Yesterday I was going through some of Pete's photos and labelling and dating some of the ones he didn't. And I thought "who will want to look through so many?". In the old days we had to make do with a roll of 24 or 36. Once we all went digital it was shot after shot after shot. But every photo was a moment in time. One in which Pete and I were happy. So each one has value to me and that is all that matters. And I count myself deeply blessed to have so many. Pete didn't beleive in thinking too much about the past. He believed in living in the moment. But he would forgive me for dwelling there. And I still walked Kelbi, listened to Bach, gardened, finished a novel and read part of a book on consciousness. I have a problem of needing to achieve something every day. Pete used to say it was the Protestant work ethic which he thought too strong in me. I still suffer from it. I need to just 'be' sometimes.