Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Significant Quotes

mfh

Powerful and a place many find ourselves.

Let everything happen to you

Beauty and terror

Just keep going

No feeling is final.

t’s hard to hold both when you are healing—both the beauty and the terror. There are some moments of healing that are so difficult. So massive. Those giant cloud domes filled with lightening. All the pain you experience lighting up as you bring your attention to it.

http://www.emotionalgeographic.com/blog-1/2015/4/17/beauty-and-terror

and another from the same site. I recommend getting this newsletter...it is free.

http://www.emotionalgeographic.com/blog-1/2015/4/10/let-it-be

I think you should learn, of course, and some days you must learn a great deal. But you should also have days when you allow what is already in you to swell up inside of you until it touches everything. And you can feel it inside of you. If you never take time out to let that happen, then you accumulate facts, and they begin to rattle around inside of you. You can make noise with them, but never really feel anything with them. It’s hollow.

— E. L. Konigsburg, From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

Healing is often on its own trajectory. We don’t really decide when certain parts of ourselves start to heal. We can’t really schedule our healing moments for convenient times. In the same way you can’t really schedule when your child will learn to walk, or talk or lose his first tooth, or break up with his first girlfriend. Growth and development happens when the conditions are right, when things come together. And healing, especially healing from grief and trauma, is another form of growth and development. It is rehabilitative growth—it is growth that starts up again with parts that are often sore or unused or unpracticed.....

Dear Mary,

Thank you so much for sharing those links. I have subscribed to the feed from her site. What a journey! It is helpful to have more tools to use, and to read about other ways to look at the experience of healing from trauma.

later: I've now read several of her posts, and it is most definitely familiar territory she is describing. Thank you so very much for your willingness to share resources with us here, and especially thank you from me for posting these helpful, healing, hopeful messages. Thank you.

namaste,

fae

The "no feeling is final" is one of the most important things I've learned in my life. It's helped me give things more time to change as I've learned nothing stays as it is forever.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anne, Mary, Jan, Kay, all of us here around Marty's fire,

namaste

I have been reading back over posts I had missed while birding and catching up (I am still doing that!) with friends and relatives and stuff. I went back and savored the last couple of pages—an oasis of beauty and heartful-ness in the midst of the aridity which life can sometimes be, when we are working through those clouds. Ah, Mary, how true it is about those clouds that hang over us. I find myself sometimes dealing with vestiges of things—things never fully grieved—left like tiny grains of sand from my younger days. Some of them, thank goodness, have become pearls of great beauty, those times when I sought refuge in art or mathematics. But some, I find, have set up a permanent base of irritation, and it is those that take the work to be able to release them.

I am going to drift off the quotes thread, rather than entirely thread jack it, and natter over on my own string. :)

fae

Purpose-of-Life.jpg

‘The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.’ Ralph Waldo Emerson

This quote has deep such personal significance to me right now. They are words I hold on to as I try to understand some of the twists and turns that life is showing me.

It soothes me to know that a great mind like Ralph Waldo Emerson, says that the purpose of life is not to be happy. Sometimes life does not serve up a whole lot of happy- lately has been one of those times.

I can live without the ‘happy’ as long as I can be useful… as long as I can be compassionate and honorable… and as long as I know I have made a difference.

The Daily Rx allows me to feel useful, and honorable, and compassionate… even on days like today, when I can manage little more than a whisper in my own life.

… And I just want you to know that if my words have made a difference in your life, you have made this same difference in mine…. Especially on those days when ‘happy’ is nowhere to be found. Thank You

[source: http://rxforthesoul.com/purpose-life/ ]

Ahh, so that is where we all got it wrong! We lament that we lost our happiness, instead we should focus on our purpose! :)

Well I think that is a good quote. And I think it helps me where I am now in life. On a walk today I met a man probably about my own age and he asked me if I was the author of a book about this area. I said I was and we got chatting. It turned out that his wife had died (I think he said 6 years ago) and he was trying to get back into birding. We managed to have a conversation without breaking into tears but they weren't far away as we agreed that life was hard without our life partners. We agreed that only people who have experienced this great loss can ever understand. I think the conversation helped us both just a tiny bit. And this quote makes me ponder. Did I used to think that the purpose of my life was to be happy? That life owed me happiness? Yes maybe. And what do I think now?

I know I focused on happiness when I was married to George because he MADE me happy! And I wanted to make HIM happy too! But after he died, that was gone and it's easy to feel life has no meaning any more...until you learn the lesson that life is more purpose-driven than happiness-driven. In fact, happiness can be elusive because it's based more on circumstance and that can change at any time, we don't have control over it. It's better to find purpose for your life.

"There will come a day -

I promise you, and your parents as well -

when the thoughts of your son or daughter, or your husband or wife,

brings a smile to your lips before it brings a tear to your eye.

It will happen.

Joe Biden

I posted this earlier in a different thread but thought it belonged here as well. These words were spoken by a man who lost his wife and baby daughter years before when only his two sons, whom he had to raise , kept him from wanting to end his own life.................... And now has lost another son to cancer.

Courage? Perhaps it's more than that.

We need to take the time...

“The way to develop the habit of savoring is to pause when something is beautiful and good and catches our attention – the sound of rain, the look of the night sky – the glow in a child’s eyes, or when we witness some kindness. Pause… then totally immerse in the experience of savoring it.” Tara

photo: Tara Brach

11289448_864356553637110_141144790898170

Oh, I like that!

Oh my goodness!

Thank you Anne. That is so very true that it almost takes my breath away. At least now, with these three plus years behind me, I have less times of being tossed off balance and left flooded with tears as grief overtakes all else and sends me into moments of deep longing. It is getting better, especially when I compare today to this day three years ago, when my life was almost entirely enclosed in a fog of grief.

Thank you for that perfect description, even to the image of the loss of balance.

Here we are, still carrying on, making it day by day.

Thank you dear one, for all the beautiful and perfect visual messages you share with us here. They mean a lot to me.

*<twinkles>*

fae

Like!

I apologize if this has already been posted. I didn't have the patience to go through all 99 pages of this thread.

Grief never ends... but it changes.

It's a passage, not a place to stay.

Grief is not a weakness nor a lack of faith...

It's the price of love.

Thank you for sharing that, Mitch. No it has not been posted before. Whenever you wonder that, you can search with the gear looking thing (top right of page) by copying/pasting some of the words in it to search posts.