Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Significant Quotes

mfh

QUARRIED LIGHT

"A lot of the experiences that we have in the world are torn, broken, hard experiences, and in broken, difficult, lonesome experiences you earn a quality of light that is very precious. I often think of it as quarried light. When you come through a phase of pain or isolation or suffering, the light that is given to you at the end of that is a very precious light, and really when you go into something similar again, it is the only kind of light that can mind you.It is the lantern that will bring you through that pain. One of our difficulties in contemporary culture is this massive amnesia. We forget so much because we are addicted to the moment. If sad, difficult things have happened to you, and you have earned quarried light, again and again you should visit the light, and almost like the light around the tabernacle that signals the presence, you should allow that light to come round you to awaken the presence that is in you, to calm you, to bring you contentment, and as well to bring you courage." ~ John O'Donohue, "Walking On The Pastures Of Wonder" (official release date: March 26, 2015, Ireland only) -- US, UK, EU edition release dates yet to be determined.

Photo "Marks of the Infinite" © Fe Langdon. All rights reserved. Used by permission. http://flic.kr/p/6Pk7cX

10854935_941618852538292_637943695820289

Interesting picture...I just learned how to create a background like this yesterday in my stamping group! How neat to look at a photo and know you have the ability to create that!

10421358_940457692665684_433600081161719

"Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding.
Even as the stone of the fruit must break, that its heart may stand in the sun, so you must know pain.
And could you keep your heart in wonder at the daily miracles of your life, your pain would not seem less wondrous than your joy,
And you would accept the seasons of your heart, even as you have always accepted the seasons that pass over your field.
And you watch with serenity through the winters of your grief."
-Kahlil Gibran.

I pray for all those in pain and for myself, that we might be able to accept all the seasons of our hearts.

Grieving is not a short-term process; it's not even a long-term process; it's a lifelong process. 'Having a future' now means that although your life will flow again, it will flow differently as a result of the loss. Your grief will become incorporated into your life history, become a part of your identity. And you will continue now, and forever, to redefine your relationship with your deceased loved one. Death doesn't end the relationship, it simply forges a new type of relationship - one based not on physical presence but on memory, spirit, and love.

~ Ashley Davis Bush, Transcending Loss

"Flowing River" painting by Paula Bramlett

11021243_896739170368194_881980292335663

• 2 weeks later...

I love that.

Smile, breathe and go slowly. Yes

I need that advice. As I said in another post I tend to feel I must engage in constant activity. I've always been that way and now I don't have Pete to say "slow down, Jan". At 73 I should do but it's like when you are cycling. If you stop you fall off

The picture of the deer reminded me of something yesterday...

I have been hit and hit and hit financially. First the new roof, then the new 36' ramp, then this week I discovered a vertical crack inside the back of my wood stove. I knew it was getting older, but didn't know it'd reached that point. I am going to have to get a new one before Fall. Where am I going to get the money for another major expense? Also, my SRS light came on in my car and the air conditioning quit working in it. More $ I don't know how I'll come up with. If I earn $ it will come off the Obamacare supplement, so no real way to raise income for these expenses. Then I stepped out on my patio and I heard all of the wildlife sounds, birds, etc. I saw the beauty. My feelings of being overwhelmed and alone and on my own with all these problems were replaced with wonder and beauty. And I thought, "This is why I live here." May I never cease to find wonder in where I live! I hadn't wanted to bring up the wood stove situation with my son as he's been sick all week, but last night when I checked on him, he was knocking a wall out of his shop/garage, so I thought, it's time to mention it. I didn't ask him to fix anything, just told him I'd value his advice and input, when he has time. Turns out he's been researching wood stoves because his isn't sufficient, I don't know if what he's found would work for a mobile home (different stipulations) but I can find out. It doesn't need done today, I have a few months.

Thank God for deer, they bring me back to my center.

Also, last night when I fed Arlie, he wagged his tail at me. It was just a little thing, but it was like he was saying "Thank you." It wasn't because he was hungry, because he wasn't, it was a few hours before he made his way over to eat it, but he was just thanking me for putting it there. Dogs know the courtesy that some people haven't yet learned. Thank you. I appreciate you. We could take lessons from them.

Yes, dear Kay. You are so right. Appreciation of what we have is always so rewarding. I never tire in what we have in nature. A gift we can never tire of appreciating. My philosophy in life seems to be, "Let Go and Let G*D."

So many of us who are grieving seem to turn to nature to teach us.

Appreciation seems to be the anecdote to worry, at least with me.

I totally agree. My relationship to the natural world (well mine and Pete's) has always been close but if anything it's closer and more imprtant to ME now. Whenever I see a bird or something as I walk Kelbi it comes naturally to me to say Look Pete there is a magpie or whatever. It seems we long stayers on this site are all nature lovers aren't we?

Yes, we are! :wub:

"…allow your awareness to open out in all directions— in front of you, to either side, behind you, below you, and above you. … Imagine that you can hold the earth, our mother, in your lap and include all life everywhere in your boundless heart." ~ True Refuge - Tara Brach

photo: Shell Fischer

1907996_823228321083267_6112755330744668

"Today's Message - Trust in the beauty of silence. It is where you will receive your Divine Guidance." ~ heart emoticon ~

1509245_10153162967272264_13615929184908

I don't know from where this picture came from...

Healing Through Adversity by Sharon Salzberg

"In a time of despair, when I felt disconnected from all that was good in my life, I was helped a lot by something Rilke wrote to comfort a troubled young man in Letters to a Young Poet: “So you mustn’t be frightened . . . if a sadness rises in front of you, larger than any you have ever seen. . . You must realize . . . that life has not forgotten you. . . ”A sense of having been forgotten by “normal” life is common when we are going through difficult times, as if we are trapped in a parallel universe where broken people live. But when we realize that healing can spring from the deepest sorrow, we regain our connection with the suffering world and trust that we can reenter the “unbroken” zone. Awareness of connection creates the path for transforming suffering into positive change..."

Yes, it speaks to me profoundly. When I am caught in the midst of some strong emotional turmoil, it is easy for me to forget that this, too, shall pass. Fortunately, I am learning to be better able to look at my emotional turmoil and say, "Ah, another storm of the heart. I wonder how long it will last. They never last more than half an hour, and usually a lot less." It helps.

Thank you Anne.

• 2 weeks later...

It is no secret that I really like Tara Brach and I especially like her book True Refuge.

If our hearts are ready for anything, we are free to be ourselves. There’s room for the wildness of our animal selves, for passion and play. There’s room for our human selves, for intimacy and understanding, creativity and productivity. There’s room for spirit, for the light of awareness to suffuse our moments. The Tibetans describe this confidence to be who we are as “the lion’s roar.” ~ True Refuge ~ Tara Brach

photo: Shell Fischer

10329317_832551423484290_513206411527749

• 3 weeks later...