Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Significant Quotes

mfh

I so agree with that, Anne!

IMAGINATION AND POSSIBILITY

Each person is always on the threshold between their inner world and their outer world, between light and darkness, between known and unknown, between question and quest, between fact and possibility. This threshold runs through every experience that we have, and our only real guide to this world is the imagination. One of the lovely things a person can do for another person is to awaken the power and sacrament of their imagination, because when you awaken someone’s imagination, you are giving them a new kingdom, a new world....Where the imagination is alive, possibility is awake because imagination is the great friend of possibility. Possibilities are always more interesting than facts. We shouldn’t frown on fact, but our world is congested with them. Facts are retarded possibilities, they are possibilities that have already been actualised. But for every fact that becomes a fact, there are seven, eight, maybe five hundred possibilities hanging around in the background that didn’t make it in to the place where they could be elected and realised as the actual fact. It is very interesting to look at what you consider real and to think that it is always peopled by a background presence of unrealised possibilities.

~~ John O'Donohue, from "Walking On The Pastures Of Wonder: John O'Donohue in conversation with John Quinn" (a new book scheduled for first release in Ireland on March 12, 2015)

10866064_931840726849438_431591691421001

Dear Anne,

Thank you for that beautiful quote. Interestingly enough, I have just been reading about possibility on another forum, where we are discussing some overlapping ideas.

The basalt columns in your image above remind me of the shores of the Boundary Waters in northern Minnesota, where entire small islands are water-smoothed surfaces of these columns. It is a beautiful image, and your post about possibilities carried a wonderful message.

Thank you.

namaste,

fae

Beautiful! I've never seen anything like it.

:wub:

Leisure

What is this life if, full of care,

We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs

And stare as long as sheep or cows.

No time to see, when woods we pass,

Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,

Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,

And watch her feet, how they can dance.

No time to wait, till her mouth can

Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,

We have no time to stand and stare.

~~~ William Henry Davies

10978674_10153071407863769_4897667319245

Here it is.

by William Henry Davies

Come, let us find a cottage, love,

That's green for half a mile around;

To laugh at every grumbling bee,

Whose sweetest blossom's not yet found.

Where many a bird shall sing for you,

And in your garden build its nest:

They'll sing for you as though their eggs

Were lying in your breast,

My love--

Were lying warm in your soft breast.

'Tis strange how men find time to hate,

When life is all too short for love;

But we, away from our own kind,

A different life can live and prove.

And early on a summer's morn,

As I go walking out with you,

We'll help the sun with our warm breath

To clear away the dew,

My love,

To clear away the morning dew.

Pete and I found a cottage in 2001, bought it and lived in it in bliss for over ten years. I'm still living here, alone, but not alone. He is still with me. That poem meant a lot to us when we first read it. On Valentine's Day, when we are all missing our beloved ones, it seems a good one to post here.

Thank you Anne and Jan, for beautiful poetry to begin the day.

Jan, thank you for the story that goes with the poem. How beautiful to have the memories to go with the poem.

*<twinkles>*

fae

Thank you Anne and Jan for the lovely poetry. I will learn more of this poet. The bunny is precious also. Thanks to you, Anne, I'm practicing finding moments to just "be." Sometimes I'm surprised at how many inches my shoulders seem to lower when I take my two-minute breaks throughout the day to just "be." I don't always realize when my shoulders are approaching the level of my ears.

Carrie

I just watched a video by Fritz the Weatherman, funny! (about getting old)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/LR2qZ0A8vic?rel=0

I hope you can find the meditation you talk about and post it for us, Jan. I am glad you saw your tears and "a good outcome."

I'm glad you liked the poems, Carrie. Davies is one of my favorites. It becomes easier for us when we allow ourselves to just "be."

I found that when I sit for awhile and focus on my breathing my whole body relaxes.

Anne

1908167_809478769124889_7147892891377832

"Our longing to live fully—from our beingness—calls us home to natural presence. Our realization of truth arises from the lucidity of presence. Love flows from the receptivity of presence. Aliveness and creativity flower when we inhabit the openness of presence. All that we cherish is already here, sourced in presence. Each time we cry out for help our longing can remind us to turn toward our true refuge, toward the healing and freedom of natural presence."~True Refuge

Photo: Shell Fische

Thank you for your beautiful post today, Anne, and Kay, your "Fritz" video is just too funny. I can't wait to pass it along. I have a brother-in-law who keeps me informed from SC about his prostate regularly, so he really must see this video. Recently my neighbor decided that Amberly and I need to know that he has such a problem also. This video should make them feel normal and happy. I loved Fritz' story about his spunky mother eating corn on the cob. The objective is to enjoy it regardless of how much corn is gnawed off the cob.

I haven't been on the forum much lately because my blood pressure has been a bit higher than I'm comfortable with (and because Amberly's basically ordered me to sit down and be quiet; she didn't say I can't play on Pinterest ). I've never needed to take BP medication, so because of my sensitivity to medications in general, I took 1/4 the dose ordered. I'm glad I took no more, because within minutes, I felt like I'd had two margaritas, and did not feel well at all. Amberly assured me that the medication is a "mild" one, but my BP had dropped too fast. With my reaction, I'm so glad it was a mild one. If there is a next time, I think I'll just lick the tablet. I'm telling you all this as an explanation as to why I've been quiet, and not for sympathy.

So many here are suffering so much grief. Please know that I care for each one, although I haven't responded lately. My problems pale in comparison. Surely, this BP thing will pass soon, or I'll learn how to deal with it. Apparently, the medication causes Meniere's symptoms to be wild. Perhaps it was a fluke, and that won't happen again.

I was able to help Jerry with his morning routine, and test his INR. We were a few hours late getting it done, but all is well in that way.

Blessings,

Carrie

Carrie, it sounds like you're very sensitive to the medicine for it to sway so much! I've had the opposite experience, with BP medicine borderline helping, bringing my BP under control. It seems my doctors have erred on the side of caution with my BP and BS medications. I hope you've talked to your doctor about it, perhaps he can try another medication that won't have that affect on you.