Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Update On Shan, Prayers Needed

Shan has not woken. She's running a pretty high temp of over 103 that they are trying to get down the last 12 hours. With little success. Unfortunately this is a sign of graft verses host, the stem cells are attacking her body. Her dose of prednisone was raised to try to combat it.

I'm not giving up, but I'm certainly a mess.

Pierre is not responding to the name given to him at the shelter so we changed it to Little Man... Because I was calling him that and he actually responded to that.

Thank you for your continued thoughts.

post-16477-0-46984300-1376384908_thumb.j

post-16477-0-59099800-1376384920_thumb.j

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am so sorry to be hearing this news, Mary. My thoughts continue to be with you and the family.

Pierre seems like he likes to cuddle. Let me know what you decide on a name for him. I think animals respond to any signs of love which is what he is getting now. Anne

Mary and Shannon,

My thoughts are with you. This is such a complicated and difficult process. The bad news about the GVHD does carry along with it good news that the new stem cells are making themselves at home and growing. Now to control the GVHD and fight off the constant battle with infection. Shannon has been so strong, gong through so much and is still in there fighting. I am so glad you are with her. My best wishes are with you.

sue

Mary,

Praying for you as well as Shannon, and your husband, I know this is hard for all of you. Please tell Shannon for us to keep fighting the fight, we are waiting to hear from her. What a battle she's been having!

Little Man is what we used to call my son when he was little, because he acted so grown up. I pray Little Man is a blessing to you that keeps you going during these hard times.

Kay

Dear Mary,

You have such a very good heart, and I am so sorry it is hurting so much right now. I am holding you, Shannon, Little Man, and your entire family. This is so much for you to go through, and I know you must be emotionally exhausted. I hope you are getting some good counseling there at the hospital from the social workers.

I am holding you and Shannon in my heart and prayers, dear Mary.

Blessings and Peace,

Fae

Good news and bad news...

Shan is breathing on her own, off the ventilator, and has been awake for some short periods of time since yesterday. However, she is still spiking high fevers. And is in a lot of pain. She's on so many meds right now to help fight infection and to help fight the rejection process. Drs are hopeful engraftment will take place.

She is in isolation... None of us can see her right now. But she is sleeping most hours.

Bad news...

I was walking Little Man and he tripped me and I fell and severely sprained my left foot. :(

Little Man is glued to me! LOL!

Going to rest.

post-16477-0-21356600-1376701362_thumb.j

I am happy that Shannon is doing better and off the ventilator. I am sorry that you hurt your ankle. It looks like you are resting and Little Man is indeed glued to you. :) Our prayers continue. Anne

Dear Mary,

Thank you for the update, and for letting us know Shannon is off the ventilator.

Little Man is keeping you from walking, which is good. :)

Please give Shannon my love and know that I am keeping your family in prayer.

*<twinkles>*

fae

Dear Mary,

That Shannon is of the ventilator is very good news. We all continue to hold you in our hearts.

Take good care of you as well.

Peace,

Harry

Mary, I am so sorry your have a sprained ankle to only complicate your getting around, to and from the hospital and with more pain. I hope it heals quickly but sprains take a while.

I am glad Shannon is off the ventilator. What a trial this has been for her and everyone. Thank you for the feedback. We have all been wondering how she is doing. Thank you. Our prayers are with you all.

Mary, I'm so sorry about the sprained ankle! And if I remember right from one I had years ago, you have to stay off your feet for the most part for the next couple of weeks, elevate it, ice it? I hope it's not a bad sprain!

And it's hopeful what the doctor said. Hopefully she won't need the pain medication too much longer. Still praying!

Wow, if it is not one thing, it is another...as my Mother used to say. Mary I am so sorry about your foot. When it rains it pours (my Mother also used to say that) Just know that you are all in our prayers. Shannon is working hard to be better, and is it a hard job, time and prayers are on her side.

Mary (Queeniemary) in Arkansas

Thanks everyone.

Shan is still fighting high fevers, but not from infection. Her body is just reacting to her bone marrow trying to accept her brothers stem cells... Which is actually a good sign. It is slowly happening. She is also still in a lot of pain. But her blood counts have improved. It's still very much a wait and see game... In isolation... But things are very hopeful. Small feats right?

I'm hobbling with this sprained foot. I've got my walker though. I'm very stubborn and don't like to use it, but it's an order.

Dear Mary,

I am glad to hear the good news is continuing. And you be careful on that foot. You and Shannon continue in our minds and hearts.

Be well.

Peace,

Harry

Mary,

What welcome news about the new marrow growing. The whole transplant process is an amazing thing, with many hurdles. Having the stem cells take root and begin to grow is such a relief and is truly a wonderful sign of recovery. It must be hard to watch Shannon in isolation, but it is likely best. Rest rest rest while you can, my constant advice. My best wishes are with you all.

Sue

Mary,

So good to hear about Shannon's progression! Her body is trying...

And you...did you see a doctor about your ankle?

I'm sorry, I do know what it feels like, I had a bad sprain with a hairline fracture when I was 14 and I remember it well. It's hard to stay off your leg, but I hope you're trying.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, Mary. I am finding out that we do have to be careful with our pooches. Benji races me to the kitchen whatever I say "treat" and even if I don't. He is a very, very smart dog though because he stares at me if I suggest going out when the temperature is over 100F.

Anne

Anne, all I have to do is look at Arlie and say "Would you..." (...like a treat?) and he's off and running to the treat jar!