Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Asked for a Sign

Today is a very hard day for me...it would have been our 7th wedding anniversary.  I have done good this weekend...cried when the emotions came, laughed when I thought of something Mark said.  I miss him with every breath I have in my body.  And after watching the video that George posted yesterday, I spoke to Mark and asked him to send me a sign.  That I have not been able to see any.  I stood in the garage door looking out into my yard, and suddenly there was a flutter in the tree.  Watching, there were two little birds that I have never seen before at my feeders.  They were both finch size, one had some yellow on it, the other had a rosy colored breast.  I watched as they feed, and said "Thank you, honey".  Then I heard a song I recognized, but told myself it was probably just a mockingbird.  Then I saw it...the flash of red. It came closer and then, there he was, on my feeder. a beautiful red cardinal.  And with him, watching from the fence, was his mate.  He hopped onto the top of the feeder, and looked right at me.  The tears rolled down my cheeks and I knew that Mark had heard me.  He brought me a cardinal.  I have been watching for them for months...even bought special seed for them...one that the squirrels would leave alone.  And there he was.  Mark watches over me, and made his presence known today.  I love you, Mark.

• Upvote 11

A red bird for Valentine's, could not have been more appropriate.  I know how you felt.  I yelled at Billy yesterday, I just was so frustrated, and I should have signed his name to the cards, I would have felt better and if there is any way he could have seen, he would have liked it too. After all, part of his money went to buy them.  People may look at me crazy, but what's new.  He never liked for me to call our money, my money.  Sometimes I would slip and call something mine, he would correct me. It was "our's."   So, from now on, his name will be included.

• Upvote 1

There is magic out there indeed. Sometimes when you need it the most, they let you know you're not alone.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Maryann I hope you don't mind that I brought out this thread but I wanted to ad to the signs discussion. I had an appointment yesterday afternoon with the medium I see from time to time. I told Kathy as I left my house that I hoped she would be going with me even though I doubted she was around just then. I know when she is there and I sure as heck know when she's not. It's been over a month and sometimes as long as five months. Point is, she was with me. When I got home, the ceiling light on the kitchen fan was on. That light or the fan or both is her favorite alert button. The fan is always on but it takes a remote to activate it. Apparently it works with or without batteries.  Needles to say it was on when I got home. I can feel the light and get an idea how long it has been on. It was still pretty cool to the touch.

So, she beat me home.

One interesting thing I was told yesterday was that Kathy is with someone named Melissa.  In fact, my oldest son's good friend Joe was married to a Melissa and they had spent the night at our home once. I so remember that time because they all stayed overnight (three young ensigns and one young Navy wife. Kathy had at least one female to talk with. I can hardly comprehend it happening.  She was a sweet girl and Kathy really enjoyed talking with her. We would later see them again at my son's wedding. They had been childhood sweethearts. My son told me she had died last week and his friend is of course devastated as we would be. She had to be 42 at best.  I have no doubt that Kathy is helping her and now my attention goes to helping Joe in any small way I can. 

The point is that there is no way the medium could have known of Melissa and she never pulls random names out of her hat.

• Upvote 4

Sorry to hear the passing of the wife of your son's friend at such a young age. Life is very brutal at times.

May I ask you a personal question?  Did you get a sense of solace after knowing her presence?  After all, you were still not in direct communication with your wife.  You have seen the medium from time to time, is the person accurate all the times?

I can't be reunited with my younger sister now even I really want to.  Going to a medium is against my Catholic teachings but my yearning for my sister, 7 months later, is still crippling.  I want to know how she is doing, is she being taken care of? I had not done a good job when she was with me.

I do not know if posing the name is against the etiquette of this forum .If not, can you please let me know? If the medium's name can't be posted, will you mind to send me a message?   Thank you.

Kindest regards,

Accuracy all the time?  I would say that nothing I have ever heard was not true. More importantly many things I have heard are things only my wife and I knew. No one else.

The medium I see is actually Catholic. I believe religion does not even enter into weather a spirit from the other side reaches you or doesn't.  The plain and simple truth is that there is something on the other side of life and I'm not talking about heaven. That is a whole other chapter . Take it for what it's worth.

I would like to ad that anyone who wishes to speak to a loved one or have questions answered, may be in for a disappointment. But is there communication with the other side? You bet there is. I could write a book on the things I have discovered over the last five years.

Hope you ask if I had a sense of solace after knowing Kathy's presence.  I should start by saying that she told me she would reach me if she possibly could. From day one she did just that. Many things occurred over the first few months yet they slowed in frequency and were gone after five months. That was when I felt the most alone. I realized she was truly gone. Months later she came back. It was off and on and that is how it remains. Like I said before, I know when she's here and I know when she's not. I have absolutely no control over it either. I just live with it. One time I asked her a question and the light above my head turned on. That may sound crazy to some but it's the truth. I have no idea what the answer was. I just know she heard the question. I suppose I have peace with it all. To say I am a believer would be an understatement. I also know what happens here is rare but not uncommon. I made a promise to her that wherever she is when I die, I will find her even if it takes an eternity which I guess I will have. Something tells me I won't have to look very far.

• Upvote 3

Stephen,

I love hearing your stories about how Kathy continues to touch your life.  I have a friend who is a medium, and I met with her on the occasion of our wedding anniversary, about 2 months after Mark had died.  I spoke to her on the phone a little after he passed, but at that point there was nothing going to ease my intense pain. I don't even remember any details from the call.  When I met with her that first time, she had already done some automatic writing and had typed it up for me.  In it, she mentioned planting a tree in remembrance (she had no idea that Mark had bought a tree for t he front yard before he died, and it was planted around the time of his service in mid-December).  She also said she was told that it was going to be my purpose to help others.  I can't remember a lot of the details without having the paper in front of me...thanks to the constant brain fog and lack of focus.  The trip I was given to Eugene to spend time with Theresa Caputo, well that was ALL Mark.  And my sign was a BIG one, the HUGE rooster outside my hotel room window.  Recently, he gifted me with another sign...the purple petunia that came up in my barren flower box in front of the house.  We hadn't had them in that planter in over three years...and here was this beautiful flower. I try and remember these when I am feeling so lost and missing him so very much.

Hope, sometimes the pain of our grief encompasses us so very much, that we cannot see or feel their presence.  But that bond of love cannot be broken, and they are there for us.  It is not easy for us to have the faith, and to "see" the messages and signs they give us, but they will keep trying.  They miss us too.  Don't let anyone tell you that they would not want us to be sad.  They love us and know we have to grieve, but they also want to give us hope that the hurt will lessen.  I am at 16 months, and I still struggle with the grief as the shock of his sudden death begins to go away.  But I no longer feel the complete devastation of the loss.  I have had 16 months to find a way through it, and a way to begin the basis of my "new" life.  It was not my choice to have to begin again, but it is something that has to be done. There are lots of  websites you can find that will help you find a way to communicate with your sister.  Also, it is always good to write while going through this journey...write her letters, write in a journal.  There are many grief journals available. Many with guided questions, or prompts to help get you started.  I didn't begin to journal until January 1, 2015....about three weeks after Mark had died.  It helps to unblock all those feelings and emotions. It will help you.

• Upvote 2

Stephen, my son thinks he can talk to spirits.  He thinks when he coded twice on the operating table that it opened a portal.  I don't mean he goes out and hunts them down, but there are stories about Hot Springs and the bathtub gin era.  The many people who died in gunfights.  He met three above the place that he worked.  He had an apartment there. They did not talk, but he talked to them.  Billy did not believe in the supernatural and my son would talk to me.  He thinks I am psychic, I'm not.  I have had things happen to me that cannot be explained.  It is such a controversial subject and just like religion, you have believers and non-believers.  I choose to believe in God, others do not.  I have a friend whose house is haunted by people she does not know. They move stuff around and she can hear them at night.  Her grandkids will not stay in the house.  She has had all kinds of mediums, religious guides, and nothing will get rid of them.  This is a very sane woman who tried to get away from them and had a new house built.  They moved with her.. Many of our classmate friends have brought in people to help her get rid of them.  Nothing helps.  I have felt strange in houses we have gone to in our travels and got out fast.  I told the tale of walking Signal Peak in New Mexico.  Then, I researched and found other people had heard them.

I have faith in a God we cannot see.  My faith is weak, but some people will not/can not believe in this. We believe in things seen and not seen.  My son has talked to his daddy.  He says Billy does not want to scare me.  We take comfort from where we can get it.  I have my doubts about religion, but I have doubts that I am going to be able to pick my mama up off the floor when I go to babysit her in a few minutes.  I have lots of doubts about myself.  I believe in divine intervention, from where, I don't know.  But, some things we have to believe in, faith can be a word that means you believe in yourself.  I don't believe in myself.  I too believe in things seen and unseen.

• Upvote 2

I never felt a presence, a scent, a noise, a touch or anything while awaken. I believe, with no objective proof, that he shows up through birds. I trust my dreams. I know it is him as he is now. He looks younger and healthier in a way I never met him. They are not dreams about "revelations", probably two of them were. He is just there.

• Upvote 3

I do see Deedo in dreams but sadly the nature of the dreams makes her appearance rather insignificant.  She's there, I'm there but there is minimal communication and absolutely no revelations.  I would like a dream where we just grabbed a cup of coffee and sat and talked like we used to.  

3 minutes ago, Brad said:

I do see Deedo in dreams but sadly the nature of the dreams makes her appearance rather insignificant.  She's there, I'm there but there is minimal communication and absolutely no revelations.  I would like a dream where we just grabbed a cup of coffee and sat and talked like we used to.  

Brad:  My feelings exactly.  I've had a few dreams about Jon where usually he's on the periphery, and one was sweet, but I'm not even dreaming about him anymore.  I want some connection with him so much, even in a dream; I'll take that.  

• Upvote 1

Dear Brad,

I'm not an expert on the subject, but the coffee dreams seems possible if we create them in our imagination, which is not bad to do. I had dreams of "conversations" (but they were more like Q&A or a monologue from me). He rarely speaks. But lately he allows me to catch his arm.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, scba said:

I never felt a presence, a scent, a noise, a touch or anything while awaken. I believe, with no objective proof, that he shows up through birds. I trust my dreams. I know it is him as he is now. He looks younger and healthier in a way I never met him. They are not dreams about "revelations", probably two of them were. He is just there.

It drives me crazy.  Why can't we at least have our loved ones in dreams.  I also wonder if my husband comes as a bluebird.....we aways liked to watch them and he built bluebird houses to put on our property....

• Upvote 1

On 3/31/2016 at 5:32 PM, Hope Lowe said:

Going to a medium is against my Catholic teachings but my yearning for my sister, 7 months later, is still crippling.

Hope, my dear, I just read an article that you may find of interest: The Vatican and Afterlife ContactsAlso, I don't know if you ever watched the popular television show The God Squad, which featured Rabbi Marc Gellman and Monsignor Tom Hartman ~ but in this episode they discuss afterlife contacts and signs with Christine Duminiak, herself a Catholic and the author of God's Gift of Love: After Death Communications, for Those Who Grieve