Grief Healing Discussion Groups

I will admit to being an ambulance "chasing" mom.  No, I do not actually chase them, but everyone knows to keep in touch with me.  We all know I am not the only one though, hence the three cop cars and ambulance in front of my house at about 2:00am because I was listening to meditation, asleep with ear buds in my ears.  So, my whole family hits the panic button if we cannot reach each other for certain lengths of time.  

We have people on this forum from all over the world.  I had to make sure Janka was okay after the Russia plane crash.   Now, this morning we wake up to Brussels under attack.  I am an old southern woman and I worry about our Brussels connection.  We have not heard from her in awhile.  I have her email, but I will not attempt to get in touch.  

If anyone has heard from our Brussels conection, please let me know.  Sometimes it is safer to be invisible in a small place.  I miss those days when we would only have tornado drills in our schools.  We were not afraid of gun weilding crazy people.  Just natural disasters.  

We are all haunted by our grief, but I think grief takes a back seat when we have to worry about our family and natural disasters and now terrorists.

• Upvote 2

My little sister has been in Brussels all week.  They had just left to another country (for the day) when the bombing occurred, they aren't allowed back in Brussels for now.  I don't know any more details.

• Upvote 2

Dear Marg,

I think it is our nature to be concerned about those we love. And after we have suffered personal losses we become more turned into all the sorrows of the world.

That is one reason I like having this "safe place" to come to for we are able to share our concerns with one another that are what we need to be doing with our grief.

Grief cannot be held in isolation but that is what has happened in our culture. Even in our families we often do not express our grief with each other.

I am reading a book by Francis Weller called The Wild Edge of Sorrow: An Apprenticeship with Sorrow and he explains this better than I’ve heard it done before. He talks about the “five gates of grief” and it makes so much sense to me.

I think it is normal for our “grief to take a back seat” when life happens. We become more sensitive to what is happening in our world or families or even our own bodies.

Anne

• Upvote 3

@Kay: Glad your family is safe.  I hope our forum member and her son are both away from this.  I cannot imagine the fear and horror of our forum members in these  places that are now battle grounds.  

• Upvote 1

If someone hears from D please let us know.

I have travelled for work to Brussels several times, I took the metro at the station where the attack took place. I cannot believe the sites and cities I have been are not safe anymore. 

• Upvote 3

I am worried about our D also and now Kay's sister, of course. I saw the Brussels news a few minutes ago. The world is filled with evil and insanity.

• Upvote 3

Here is an interview with my BIL (sister Julie's husband), Dana Fryer, in Brussels this week.  I will be personally glad when they're all home, but I still have HIS sister, Rita, to worry about as she lives there and travels frequently.

http://www.kptv.com/story/31552255/aloha-family-in-location-of-brussels-bomb-just-an-hour-before-explosion#.VvOMcD_z6vw.facebook

• Upvote 3

It is a scary place to be for sure. Amazing story Kayc. They were watched over for sure. It's hard enough when family is in this country and reachable but overseas is a tough one. I hope for their safety.   Marty I know you live with concern too. 

• Upvote 4

Marty, do you have someone in Belgium also?  It was scary because it was the second very close call they had in two weeks (nearly hit head on by an inattentive huge truck driver, they had to go into a ditch to avoid him).  I kind of want them to stay home!

• Upvote 1

No, Kay ~ Stephen was referring to my younger son Ben, who lives and works in Amman, Jordan ~ and like you, I wish he weren't so far away. But it seems that these days there are precious few truly safe places in this world of ours :(

• Upvote 5

Oh so true.

• Upvote 3