Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Today I received these water colors from a dear friend, artist, and retired Mayo doctor David Dines. I have been doing his and his bride Betty's work for years and when they learned about this art auction, they just had to chip in. They lost their daughter Sarah in 2000 from breast cancer while in a hospice home and David  had been volunteering at the Sherman House here in Phoenix which was where my wife Kathy died. They know grief and they know the benefits of this site. I'm so glad to have his work be part of this event.

FOTFBD.jpg

• Upvote 4

You're doing an amazing job!

I might not be doing as much as you think. This little event seems to be bringing out a lot of good people just itching to help.

• Upvote 3

Oh, Stephen, I'm getting so excited for October's fundraiser. How nice of your doctor friend to donate the water colors. 

Anyone who knows about this forum knows how valuable it is to those who are grieving.  Most of us who know Marty know how very dear this forum is to her. :wub:  

• Upvote 2

Makes me wish I lived closer to Phoenix (but not in this hot weather...it's in the 80s here, that's hot enough).

• Upvote 2

Here are some works by Anne which I have framed seven.  Really nice Anne!  Thank you.

a1 - Copy.png

a2.png

a3 - Copy.png

a4 - Copy.png

• Upvote 3

The framing is wonderful, Stephen.  I just know this fundraiser is going to be huge. We never know where our grief journey might lead us. What a gift you are giving to the fundraiser by all you do. Thank you.

Anne

• Upvote 3

His framing is amazing!  I love your work, Anne!

BTW, check this out, I thought of you:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/13/coloring-for-stress_n_5975832.html

• Upvote 2

I want your input friends. I feel it is a good idea to put the name of the artist, their location, the name of the loved one they lost, how and when they died  on a card placed next to the work submitted for the auction.  I feel it brings the viewer closer to what this site is all about. It puts a personal connection to the artwork and touches the hearts of those who would attend. People care a lot when they see the human side to such an event. I won't do it if you feel it's not a good idea but if you do, message me with the info. The cards would be about 3 x 4 inches.   

• Upvote 2

I just wanted to introduce a special friend who has been instrumental in procuring our venue for this art auction as well as donating his time and some artwork as well. I have known Mark McDowell since I started my picture frame business in 1972.  He was also a charter member of the Green Chili Travel Club hauling art and artists back and forth to Santa Fe in my plane. A good man indeed. I could not have done this event without him.  He also knew Kathy and all she means to me.

thEF073HLE.jpg

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, enna said:

Please relay our heartfelt gratitude to Mark for what he is doing.  

Yes, Stephen, by all means, please DO let your good friend Mark know how much this means to all of us, including me. You both are just amazing . . . 

• Upvote 1

Stephen,

Please thank Mark for us!  It's so good to have friends like that! :)

• Upvote 1

I am excited to be able to contribute some things...and thanks to you, Stephen and your friend Mark for making this REALLY happen.

I wish I was closer to be able to help and make an appearance.

• Upvote 3

Great news! I just sold one of the pieces I was donating to the show. It was one of Mark's pieces that I had for years and he was quite happy with me doing so. A good customer who came in and heard about the auction wanted it so badly I said okay. She also wants to donate a piece she has and plans on buying something at the opening. I still have 35 pieces ready now but I would truly like 60. I think at this rate we're going to go way over that.  I had two more pieces dropped off today by artists who want to help. This is just awesome!             Our flyers should be ready to go to the printers by Friday.

• Upvote 2

Oh Yay!  Maryann's work arrived  and we just framed them up which puts us at 42 pieces now ready for the show. Thank you Maryann. They will help so much.

Copy of marryanne 2.jpg

Copy of marryanne 3.jpg

Copy of marryanne 4.jpg

Copy of maryann.jpg

Copy of marryanne 5.jpg

• Upvote 1

Stephen,

What a beautiful job you did!!  Makes my work look so professional. Mark would be so proud (my Mark).  It is kind of bittersweet.  He used to joke with me about how rich he would get after I died and he sold all my artwork.  He always had a way of making me feel good about what I was doing.  Thanks for all you are doing.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Marty and Maryann but I believe had you been the one to go, Mark would have held on to your work as strongly as I do Kathy's. I am toying right now if I should put one of Kathy's pieces in the show. Well, maybe I could as long as I ended up getting high bid.