Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My George loved fishing, so I decided to make a set of "fish coasters", I used to sell them in our local art gallery, but it has since closed down.  I hope you'll get some pictures when everyone's paintings are set up, I'd love to see everyone's work!  I'm so excited about this.

fish tile.jpg

• Upvote 5

Patty,

That painting is gripping!  You do wonderful work!

• Upvote 1

Stephen,

I would love to donate some of my art work.  I haven't done a new one since before Mark died....mostly because we had a new puppy and I had no true free time to do any art, especially art that includes cutting pieces of paper and having stuff fall to the floor.  I think Mark would love for me to get back into it for a great cause... a place that has helped me along my journey.  Keep me updated as to a time frame and how soon you would need to receive the pieces.  

Maryann

• Upvote 2

I would love to have your work too Maryann. I will be keeping things updated of course as time goes by. Work needs to be framed before the event so I would like to have pieces in hand soon after the first of September. Of course you can always send things sooner but for the company info and address, message me> I don't want to advertise the company and violate the rules of this forum. ;)

I think every one of the loves we have lost would be smiling down at us for what's happening here. Last night I had a thought just slam into my mind while watching TV in bed. I was being directed to putting something of Kathy's in the show. I just know she wants it done. I think she was saying it's the least she could do.

Kay I love the coaster. So much talent here!  And for sure we will take pictures, lots of pictures so those of you who cannot attend can see the event as well as how your pieces looked framed. 

• Upvote 2

I'll tell you what Karen. If you live in the valley perhaps you could help getting things set up and placed. I hope you will also be able to attend and that goes for anyone who can be with us. I know it's early yet and the exact date has not been set but we are trying for the first weekend in October. It might be the second but it has to be on a weekend. They have something shaking almost every weekend at the compound so we just let them fit us in. So far they have very few events scheduled for the fall.

• Upvote 1

Beautiful Kay!  Those are beautiful fish prints!  I bet you could find a market for those -- and  Stephen, I think Kay's fish coasters would sell wonderfully at the show! I bet you could sell several sets. Or, if you are only doing things hanging on a wall or whatever, Kay you could mount 4 or 9 of them with a quarter inch in between on a piece of wood or something and it would be absolutely gorgeous... Let's all do some art therapy! :)

• Upvote 2

Craft items will also be accepted Patty. I for example intend to display one of Kathy's quilted jackets or vests standing upright. It is a mixed media show all the way. When I get the pieces on Monday Kay I will put something together and post a pic. I want to see them before I say too much. I've done a lot of that sort of thing mounted on fabric in a shadow box but I will always show each of you my recommendations but let you approve. Also I like your input and we have lots of time. 

Received the pieces today Kay. Very nice. There is something about touching art that had the hand of someone who grieves on it. I hope others do the same because it sure warms  my heart and brings a personal touch to my own feelings that we are all in this together.  I will send you some pics with display ideas tomorrow. I just met with another artist friend who knew Kathy and he is going to donate a piece too. I'm liking the response this idea is getting. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling!  Thank you for sending them dear lady. They will definitely make a difference.

• Upvote 2

Gin that is a good question. The intent  is to have it be a silent auction where people place bids on a clip board at several stations. At days end, high bid would get it. If we run it as for sale only, then a price would have to be set and that would be inherently problematic since the art was donated. We shall see how things develop.  It may be possible that I could photograph things, put them on line, take orders and bid for you but that's not easy to accomplish. I'm open for suggestions. If someone wanted to buy a painting before it ever went up, then of course the proceeds would go to Marty and it would never be in the show.  Let's give it some thought.

• Upvote 1

It's hard to tell from a picture, I'll defer to you.  I wish they hadn't come out so light, I think the tile wasn't as absorbent as my old tiles were.  Anything to bring out the color.

On 6/21/2016 at 5:16 PM, kayc said:

It's hard to tell from a picture, I'll defer to you.   Anything to bring out the color.

And so it shall be. Pictures can never do something justice but I like the four together myself for each one is different, subtle but different.  By the way, black makes the color come out more and makes them pop! 

• Upvote 1

Yay!  Our first entry framed.  I will be meeting here at my house with some of the event organizers tomorrow night to start planning the event.  I will be showing them this one Kay and if you all don't mind, I want to show them your works posted here too.  Work done by members of this group will bring such meaning to the event.

Almost seems as if the fish carried over to the adjacent tile don't you think?

Kay coasters 2 (2) - Copy.JPG

• Upvote 5

Stephen,

I am looking for something to be able to ship some pieces.  Since they are mosaics, I can't roll them and put them in a tube.  Will pull something together this weekend.

Maryann

• Upvote 1

Thanks Maryann. I am looking forward to getting whatever you can send.

Wow, you did a great job, you made it look better than it did! :)

• Upvote 1

I met with the main people who are helping me organize this and it has been suggested that since this event is their first of the season, it would be wise to hang the show as much as two weeks before October 1st. If people want to buy things early, we'll just get something else to hang in it's place.  That means we want to get the artwork here by mid September. It also has been suggested that the band play indoors as they have a stage and it might still be quite warm outside. They are giving me the gallery walls and table for the crafts and food will be prepared outside and then brought inside. My son insists on donating the beer and wine so we will have that too.  Every time I talk with anyone about this, my excitement grows. If anyone in the valley wants to help, there will be plenty to do.  Thank you all for caring.  By the way, the time for this event will most likely be from noon to four, Saturday October 1st.

• Upvote 1

I just noticed much to my embarrassment that I mentioned earlier that my friend Ronnie Glover's group that will be playing is called Trio Rio not Rio Trio in case you want to see what they are like. They do have a big following including my grandkids and they will be using their expansive email list and web site to support the cause.

Ana I can't say who will be coming yet but I hope Karen and Anne can be there since they live in the valley but it certainly won't be RSVP.  I'm sorry you live so far away but we will do video and photographs.

• Upvote 1

Wow! last night I received the first cash donation and I haven't but just started going. It gets to be the lead one in the jar to call more green friends to join. I never thought about people giving money if they aren't members of this sorrowful league and they don't want the art but still want to help. This is one great reason why I love this country. So many good people in it that don't appear in the news.

Gin just for your information since the show will be hung two weeks before the event, The gallery folks feel that if anyone wants to buy something before the show, they can do so and it won't be up for the opening. We will find more pieces to take it's place. I don't expect a lot of foot traffic for it's more of an art compound not open in the evenings but you never know. I will take pictures once it's hung and post them here. Should anyone want to grab one then well and good!

• Upvote 2