Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Looking For The Positives

Thank you for sharing that gorgeous picture with us, Patty!  Breathtaking! 

Kevin, I'm glad you're getting exercise and healing...just take it slow and easy, pace yourself.  Shoveling can be back breaking!

• Upvote 2

Good Council from KayC, ...a Family dispute after Angela's passing had me at odds with Angela's daughter(my step daughter)......without going into details she has definite mental/bi polar problems with Grief thrown in but has apologized profusely for the issues she put in motion(legal)......It's easy to talk the highroad , now I'm going to actually  live it......I invited the  Family to see me this summer,they agreed immediatley, this includes the two grand kids.......Looking forward to some healing.........PS lots of snow today

• Upvote 5

Good for you, Kevin!  I hope your time this summer goes peaceably...and the snow is gone by then! :)

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've quit reading my daily motivations by Alan D. Wolfelt, PhD.  Last time I read was January 21st.  Today's is what it is all about.

Things to do today:

1. Get up

2. Survive

3. Go back to bed.

I will survive today.  Some days that is enough.  

• Upvote 7

1 minute ago, Marg M said:

I've quit reading my daily motivations by Alan D. Wolfelt, PhD.  Last time I read was January 21st.  Today's is what it is all about.

Things to do today:

1. Get up

2. Survive

3. Go back to bed.

Marg, everyday that we survive is good enough as right now...in this unfamiliar life....that's all we can do....and that's a big accomplishment. 

• Upvote 1

I found that Surviving is easier if you follow a plan or a daily regiment.   It begins with any kind of exercises, hygiene, news, and breakfast.......clean-up. At some time in the morning get outside make contact......This regiment is so important in the winter and periods of "blah like dull weather".....I miss not having a dog for that main reason........one day closer to spring.........kevin

• Upvote 4

Okay, I admit to being a countrified southern redneck all my life.  We lived 175 miles from here and we had snow and winter.  Down here we have 70 degree weather one week, 50-60 next week.  Sometimes we have cold weather.  My cousin lives on Lake Michigan.  (She was southern fried also).  But, does it just get colder and colder the further up you go?  What I mean, is it very cold where you live in Canada?  (No, I do not look at temperatures unless my family is traveling).  And yes, I am a flatlander, bass, catfish, crawdads, etc.  My son lived in Alaska awhile in a house with no bathroom.  (I think they had problems with ground freezing) and one time he was behind a bush when a grizzly was his company.  He didn't stay long.  His marijuana plants he was raising froze.

• Upvote 1

I get winter, and temps are 10 to 35 degrees F for three months of the year. The farther North and central(the plains), the Colder it gets.....The darkness is also depressing. Next year, post Christmas, will definitely spend some time in Yuma, three weeks........AZ...Small Golf and Sun break......I need 40+ to work outside and enjoy it or just putzing around......

• Upvote 2

My temperature has been 7 to 50 this winter, usually 20s at night, 30s or 40s in the daytime.  Yeah, I'd say it gets colder the further north you go.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Marg M said:

Things to do today:

1. Get up

2. Survive

3. Go back to bed.

I like the short list.  Easy to accomplish! :D

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, kevin said:

I found that Surviving is easier if you follow a plan or a daily regiment.   It begins with any kind of exercises, hygiene, news, and breakfast.......clean-up. At some time in the morning get outside make contact......This regiment is so important in the winter and periods of "blah like dull weather".....I miss not having a dog for that main reason........one day closer to spring.........kevin

Yep!  I have a routine...go on the forums and read the paper, shower, feed the animals, walk the dog, do chores, and I go someplace almost every day, and I walk the dog again just before dark.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, kevin said:

if you follow a plan or a daily regiment.

Kevin, if I followed a plan I would have to have a notebook and write it down.  I go to wash the dishes and three minutes later I am cleaning out the sink in the bathroom, then looking for a book I remembered, then going to get the mail, and nothing ever gets finished.  Planning is not in my vocabulary.  Procrastination is filed on that "list" in #1 position.  I admire people that can follow a plan.  Anytime Billy and I made plans for anything we always had them interrupted.  Sometimes things do not change even when there is only one left.  Maybe living in the hippy generation made my generation of people (some of us) just willy-nilly all over the place.  Waiting for the Ancestry DNA to come in.  I know we come from England, Germany, and Irish.  Would be so delighted if I found out my gypsy disposition had a real DNA reason.  I wanted Native American so bad but my cousin's came back with none.  So will mine, I am sure.  I guess Native Americans would make me live outside their villages with my red hair and freckles.  You cannot always make your bloodline different (even if your mind wants something else).

I never leave the house without a list....I can't tell you how many times I've found myself driving downtown and not sure why....I automatically default to post office(easy parking)..and pull out my list. This is very common ocurrance but avoids the panic thing......I seldom ever get everything done on my list, carrys over to next day......Poor Van of mine giving me trouble, replaced starter, and now looks like plugs, Big Job.....(always something)

• Upvote 3

Me too, Kevin, I'm a list person.  My neighbor is always borrowing things he should keep on hand but doesn't and I asked him, "Why don't you keep a running list, like I do?  That way when you go to town (50 miles away) you can get everything."  He simply says, "I'd forget the list."  I don't know how to make someone remember a list, but it's always seemed easy to me, I got the organized gene. ;)

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Displaying IMG_1302.jpg Grand Daughter, 15 years o

Lovin's really living
Life, you ain't living boy
You're just getting up each day
And walking around
Your world is crying now my friend
But give it Love
And it will mend
And, teach you All
The music to the Lovin Sound
Oh, the Lovin Sound

ld, Straight A Student, Angela's side of the family

IMG_0532.JPG

stasia skates02.jpg

Bailey....png

• Upvote 4

Thanks for sharing them!  Now they came through!  Cute kids!

• Upvote 1

It is nice to see you and your family Kevin.  Like with Butch's Gracie, we get to know you better.  Beautiful girls.  Know how proud you are of them.  Keep them coming.  

Off subject, another we got to see pictures of, where is Patty?  

Straight A student.  That happens with my granddaughter's family, my family was always happy if we passed.  Other than my sister, we just stumbled through school, getting it over with and left the straight A's up to my sister.  You all look wonderful.  

This was a good day, Van back up and running....now has big For Sale  on it ..........Some kind of Holiday here yesterday and Valentine silliness today, hard to get anything done......Its  funny, when your pre occupied with something concrete/real, you forget about the emptiness..Just shows, gotta stay engaged and try to be busy......That's why I love Golf.....Happy Valentines Day

177.gif

• Upvote 2

I'm glad you got your van running, I hope it doesn't take long to sell it.

• Upvote 2

Did I say I got the DNA back.  70% redcoat, 13% Irish, I think 5% Iberian Peninsula, and a little Scandinavian.  I have not a thing against English people, it was just the idea that my people came into this country and moved the natural inhabitants off their land.  I don't have one whit of Native American.  So, I'm guilty of taking the land away from the Native Americans.  I am from the deep south and my family probably were the biggest slave owners in the south.  Well, you don't get to choose your ancestors.  I did pick cotton on my grandfather's farm once, I made a nickel and most of that was because I picked the bolls too.  Maybe I get my gypsy blood from the Iberian Peninsula (which I am sad to say I did not know where it was located.)  

But this is "looking for the positives" and today I got groceries.  I am more prone to go into panic mode when I cannot find things.  One bag was missing.  My granddaughter saw me running here and there searching, not in the car, not in the house.  I got a flashlight and looked in places my old eyes don't see good in.  

So, the positive for today was:  I had put things were they are supposed to go.  They were not lost.  Of  course I have no memory of putting them there, but I actually did something right.  Anytime you do that, it is supposed to be good, right?  Worries the dickens out of me.  I don't remember putting the things up.  My memory does worry me sometimes.  Even after this length of time, am I supposed to have amnesia of immediate memory?  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Marg M said:

I don't remember putting the things up.  My memory does worry me sometimes.  Even after this length of time, am I supposed to have amnesia of immediate memory?  

This happens to me all the time, Marg.  I'm constantly finding things I don't remember doing.  I'll get up to do something I think of and find it's already done.  I try and do things when I think if them so they getvdone even if later it surprises me as I forget so much.  Then there are the times I can't get to sleep because I'm afraid I'll forget in the morning.  Notepads are very handy.

• Upvote 4