Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My Sanity Needed Vents

6 minutes ago, kayc said:

BTW, here's my grandson with his new to him bed, smiling and giving two thumbs up!  My son put it together Sun. night after he got home at 7 pm, and did my granddaughter's the next day after he fixed the cracks in it, he made a steel bracket for it.

Vincent 123123 Bed.jpg

• Like 2

This morning I have NO WATER. Pump Tec isn't tripped, maybe it quit working. Tank empty. Flushed the toilet before I knew, there is nothing. Sinks nothing. 30 degrees so it shouldn't have froze, usually it has to get below 25 before I turn the heat on where the pipes are.  Pump? Well? 

And in the middle of a huge snow storm.  Lord it just doesn't get easier.  Kodie attacked by the same dog that got him when he was little.  😡  Idiot pet owner let him loose.   He cries if I pick him up but I don't feel/see anything, I'm praying it's just bruises.

• Sad 1

Kay, hope your water has started working again and that Kodie is okay. Were you walking him when the dog attacked? Miserable way to start the new year!

• Like 2

Weather alerts up here, heavy duty Arctic front moving in Minus 40    by Friday...Cancelling a few events and gassing up...Weather will be back to normal by months End...Three years ago I lost my water in a mobile home ,called a plumber  and we put in new heat tape....crawling under trailers tough on the old body...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Have never had to deal with a well. Even at our cabin, we had a water company. I think Ron's folks place had a well. It was so odd to me that you shouldn't flush when the electricity was out. Also funny that indoor plumbing was relatively new to them(a few years). Outhouse was a new experience for me.  lol

• Like 2

10 hours ago, KarenK said:

Kay, hope your water has started working again and that Kodie is okay. Were you walking him when the dog attacked? Miserable way to start the new year!

I was walking Kodie home from Jazzy's, on a leash, when the owner of Kyro just let him loose with no regard to us and he made a beeline for Kodie and got his neck, his sister came roaring over too!  I was so beyond livid!  I exclaimed, "What is the MATTER with you!!!"  He's forgotten the last time Kyro got him that did damage to his organs?!

The guy left his shop at 8:30, got back about 7 pm. Had to replace everything, pump, switches, wires, bent pipes, you name it.  He left a huge pile of dirt I need to move somehow as it's right in the way.  Tons more snow tonight, Wednesday, into Thursday.  So done with this.  Also need to move a pile of branches I picked up yesterday.

8 hours ago, kevin said:

Weather alerts up here, heavy duty Arctic front moving in Minus 40    by Friday.

OMG, Kevin!  I was outside in this all day yesterday and it felt so cold even with my down coat on!  I cannot immagine minus 40!  I've never been that cold!

• Like 1

Glad you got the water fixed. Just really bad timing for you. Sounds like you need to carry a bat or bear spray on your walks and not only for the dog.

• Like 1

I like that idea.  Also new can of wasp spray will hit them directly in the face. 

We had a pump in the country.  I was not a good housekeeper; Billy was not a good home keeper.  We matched perfectly.  Did w/o electricity for 6-7 days.  We had a pond Billy and Scott would slide down the hill to, to get water for the commodes.  We had followed a snowplow home (Louisiana girl had never seen a snowplow), this was in small mountains of Arkansas.  Billy and Scott both hurt their backs sliding down the hill, and getting back up was hard.  It was an ice storm and then a snow storm over that.  I did not like playing Jeremiah Johnson.  Left as soon as we could.  

I'm sorry about all the cold.  It is 38 here, supposed to get in the 40's.  That is cold for us.

Kay, I cannot imagine the pain you have to go through picking all the limbs up with your hands all broken up.  We had a bad dog once; he was a hunting dog.  We used hair spray to ward him off us until he took the can away from me.  He was gone soon after.  We put him in the house to get the meter's read.  Kelli had a new pair of shoes, and he headed right for them and took a poop right in them.  She threw them away.  He was a Chesapeake Bay retriever and too big for us girls.  Billy had shopped and paid a lot for him.  He gave him away.  They are not supposed to be of that temperament.   I think I'd pick another route to walk.  Or take a spray with you.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, kevin said:

Kay, is there an animal control officer you can call? Most municipalities do have leach or control by laws...Pepper spray is good idea..

They are worthless and it happened so fast I doubt I could spray! He was just right across the street making a beeline.  You must have better results in Canada to even think it, I've dealt with them before, they won't come out. In fact the news just covered some dogs eating live goats and yet animal control would not come! Sometimes laws are a joke...not laughing.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Margm said:

I think I'd pick another route to walk.

There is no other route.  This is a dead end street, he'd been playing at Jazzy's.

• Sad 1

If it is dead end, head toward the beginning and take him up main road unless it is a busy highway.  A dead end is just that.  Walk him around your house 2-3 times.  It's tough when you do not have access to walking space in a country lane.  

On 1/10/2024 at 5:04 AM, Margm said:

If it is dead end, head toward the beginning and take him up main road unless it is a busy highway.  A dead end is just that.  Walk him around your house 2-3 times.  It's tough when you do not have access to walking space in a country lane.  

I LIVE on a country road, dead end, but we had to get home from Jazzy's (his daily play date).  The other dog should be kept inside their fence or house, it can be done, they just need to do it!!

23 hours ago, kevin said:

Waiting for daylight to begin shoveling first significant snow fall of the season

I've been shoveling all week only it's heavy wet stuff, at midnight (as if yesterday wasn't hard enough) they issued a hazardous weather warning of 2-4 ft about 2000 ft, I'm at 2,400.  No place to put it and this is going to be a hard day.  Had it shoveled last night.  More and more coming...

• Like 1

I got two "frozen " vehicles this morning to contend with....Everything is plugged in and still little life after four hours....Tripped the breakers lost hot tub heat(that can wait), and Christmas Lights is now officially over.......Plan is now get Mustang going, has proven battery blanket etc then boost "New" Vehicle.....School Buses all shut down.....Will touch Minus 40 for next days...Wind Chills minus 50....Coldest since 1989........ 

yy

• Sad 2

Praying for you Kevin!  I can't imagine...

Me, I'm surviving, barely, at my age.  Between the well and the snow/blizzard all week, and my fall, I'm done in, praying the latest hazardous weather report is not...

• Sad 1

Got up early  to locate more cords and apply more heat to vehicles...Temp is MINUS 42 with a Wind Chill Minus 50...I'm sure schools are cut back so expect to do some babysitting next couple days....Don't recommend any driving in this weather....Will be back to normal late Monday....Hasn't been this cold  since the 80,s....

• Like 2

I'm glad this isn't commonplace.  You are wise to not drive in this!

You should see the bruise I got on my arm when I fell on the slippery slope, basically my arm had more bruising that not on it.  Be careful!

• Like 2

Certainly have nothing to complain about here. It's been in the low 30's overnight. We never face the snow although the northern part of the state does. Noticed the terrible conditions in Chicago on the weather channel. Hope Gin is okay. Long time since we've heard from her.

• Like 2

It is 30 here right now.  Supposed to get colder and probably ice and snow.  We can't have one without the other.  Got groceries this morning, gonna just stay in.  Maintenance man left note on all the doors to leave water dripping.  I did.  

• Like 1

Been 28-30 most days/nights here.  

I know, where is the rest of our crowd?!  Still hoping to hear from Gwen eventually...

• Like 1

I hope most of the animals are inside, in a warm house or barn...

All of OR was pretty much on shutdown yesterday between snow and freezing rain.  My daughter called off work from it, not what you want to tackle in a city especially, she's a great driver in the snow but no one is a match for freezing rain and there's always the other guy, no one wants a wreck unnecessarily.

Here it turned to rain so now our snow is saturated, everything is filled, what a mess. Downed power lines, avalanches, closed roads, emergencies everywhere.

Be safe, Kevin!

• Like 2

Extreme Cold continuing......it will break in the next 24 hours and I had one vehicle running yesterday....Alerts all night about reducing power consumption as the risk of Power outages is high....waiting for daylight to resume my vehicle work again...just bringing battery back  into the house to warm up and charge....called AMA(Towing) and there was 12 hour wait or more...this Cold is brutal...

• Like 2

Arranged Step daughter to drive me to auto store for a new and more powerful battery charger...   Its only minus 33 today which is good news...Last 5 days lows all in minus 40's....A Record...Calling to reschedule eye appointment for Wednesday until weather and vehicle issues resolved....Its 40 miles away....

• Like 2