Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My Sanity Needed Vents

I shouldn't fuss with all your weather problems.  We were warned.  It was slow coming, but everything covered with snow, and it is a gray dawn with white probably an inch or more, know how little that is compared to the North's problems.  According to news, it is everywhere in the ArkLaTex.  Hope we can reschedule my sister's doc appointment tomorrow.  Her apartment is in a hollow and you have to climb up and slide down.  Going to try to reschedule.  The way it is, the staff might not even come in.  My sister is a stickler but called me at 11:00 p.m. to give me three appointments I did not have on my calendar.  This chemo is tough on her beautiful mind.  I am not being sarcastic, it hurts to see this, and what hurts the most is she is aware of it.  I am 10 years older than her. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Our internet, phone, and texting have been out since Sunday, back for a bit yesterday and then out again.

Eugene is a disaster zone. Reminds me of the Columbus day storm in 1962 only it was a hurricane, the shelves are empty, everything is a mess, thick ice and snow, my daughter hasn't been able to work all week, they're telling everyone to stay home.  A tree fell behind her car so she couldn't go anywhere if she wanted.  Her kitten has been sick all week, can't even take her in.  Kodie was sick too, horribly, no idea what brought it on, he vomited at church several times.

• Sad 2

Kevin, keep safe!  It's a horrid mess here and in Eugene.

• Sad 2

Doesn't sound fun at all, Kay! So much different than our weather. In the 60's here. Rain expected early next week. Stay safe!

• Like 2

This is our Multnomah Falls!  All of Eugene is a complete mess of ice, fallen trees, power outages.  We've had some here too.  My internet has been down three days this week, which wipes out my phone, cellphone, and texting.  Branches everywhere!  The stores are still out of food because the trucks can't get it to the stores.  Roads/interstates closed.  The tree that fell behind my daughter's car in the parking lot, the apt. hasn't cleared it yet.  The state or much of it is at a standstill.  People can't get to work.  Been nearly three weeks since I've gotten groceries.  No mail, garbage.

image.thumb.png.e6c1ede531b00f64cf9e46750d3bb62a.png

• Sad 1

Oh I have garbage.  Bags stacked in entrance hall.  Have not been to my car since Sunday.  This is not Eugene, Oregon, this is Louisiana.  I'm a flatlander.  If I make it to summer, I will buy rock salt for the sidewalks.  It is overcast, no sun.  My daughter and sister are both sick and I need to get outside like I need a broken hip.  If this stuff melts, I have to go to store. Just 175 miles up the road is my little Canada, called Arkansas.  Glad to get out of those winters.  Cannot go to a doctor, urgent care or wait in a waiting room full of sick people in the ER.  

One connotation of the term (catch 22) is that the creators of the "catch-22" situation have created arbitrary rules in order to justify and conceal their own abuse of power.

Sister and daughter both need one of their many doctors.  Can't get in.  My daughter is on polypharmacy and one is causing a yeast infection in her mouth.  

I used to think I could move mountains, now I cannot get to my car, and dangerous to drive if I do.  Black ice is prevalent.  

• Sad 1

That is Severe weather Kay, we have lightened up here significantly, temps Minus 5 and warming next few days....I'm back on School  pick up / babysitting duty ......We are getting snow finally, had a minor slip the other day , landed on my backside and elbow.  A couple of Aspirins and now I'm feeling fine...There is lots of snow  and severe weather all around...Take care

• Like 2

I used to think I could move mountains, now I cannot get to my car, and dangerous to drive if I do.  Black ice is prevalent.        Good sound thinking Marg......Be very cautious , if there is ice at your place, chances are there is Ice where your going...And always in daylight...

• Like 2

I fell last week also, slipped on a slippery slope where they put my satellite dish, slid down and landed on my arm, I laid there wondering if I'd broken anything, thankfully not, but bruised it elbow to shoulder and my neck and other parts hurt the next day.  Still hurts to touch a week later!

Marg, best not to go out in weather like that!  Eugene is pretty flat, some soft rolling hills surrounding it, but it's not mountains like here, elevation 300 ft where my daughter lives!  This is very unusual weather.

Kevin, what are your temps now?

• Sad 2

Haven't signed on for a while.  My vision issue makes it difficult to look at a computer screen somedays.  I have peeked in and kinda kept abreast of you all trying to survive in this unusual weather.  I live about 30 miles south of Seattle.  Our temperatures were in the low teens with mostly sunny skies for about four days and then warmed up to the balmy 40's.  This morning it is 36 degrees and raining.  My sister-in-law, lives in Portland, texted me Sunday evening to say they were 7 degrees and can't get out of the driveway.  Their driveway is pretty treacherous as it is in a hilly area.

I spoke to my daughter yesterday, she lives in Roseburg, OR.  They are enjoying beautiful sunny 50+ weather.  I guess it depends on how the wind blows.

4 hours ago, kayc said:

This is our Multnomah Falls!

Kay:  Beautiful Multnomah Falls!  My husband and I had stopped there one day years ago during warmer weather to see how beautiful it was.  Since it was so warm, and I was too tired to take the trek up to the bridge, we said we'd come back another day.  Sorrily, we never made it back, but every time I see mention of Multnomah Falls a tear runs down my face.  😢 

Kevin, Marg and Kay:  Do take care and hoping the weather in your area will soon be more bearable.  And, Karen, you take care and enjoy the warmth.  Dee

• Like 1

Multnomah Falls is frozen, I'm not sure if you caught that.

• Like 2

Yes, Kay I noticed the Falls were frozen.  Hard to believe but after hearing about Portland's weather it was understandable.   Seems like Portland's winter weather is always worse than Tacoma's winters.  Dee

• Like 2

.Woke up to Minus 18 this morning(wind chill minus 26)  Good news both vehicles started without an issue...My weathermans credibility has come under question but he is adamant warming big time next four days....supposed to shuffelboard tonight, plan on attending...

• Like 2

"Woke up to Minus 18 this morning(wind chill minus 26)  Good news both vehicles started without an issue...My weathermans credibility has come under question but he is adamant warming big time next four days....supposed to shuffelboard tonight, plan on attending."

Well Kevin, if you're brave enough to get out in that kind of weather, then I think I will force myself to take the trash out in 33+ degrees weather (later in the day, will be warmer.)  Have to, us two women make more trash than a family of 10.  

• Like 1
  • Like Copy 1

Wow!  I t hought Marg was saying that at first, surprised me!
I got chewed out by NOAA this morning for reporting mine and my daughter's websites out two days ago. Last time they thanked me for letting me know as they have no other way of knowing!  Guy could use some people skills but I assumed he'd been stressed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Margm said:

I think I will force myself to take the trash out in 33+ degrees weather

😅

• Like 1

I copied what Kevin said.  Sometimes my computer skills are a big zero.  Sometimes minus zero. 

I went to Walmart and have never seen so many people in any season.  All the surrounding areas had cabin fever too. Thank goodness my bodily functions behaved themselves for hours.  I'm so proud.  But I will bring a change of clothes for the cataract removal.  

• Like 1

Did you have someone take you?

• Like 1

My daughter will take me for the cataract surgeries.  Scott is bipolar and would take me, but he hates to get out of his house.  Knows he has to make a trip back to his doctor but puts it off.  They insist someone go with me on trips, so I usually just don't mention it and then slip off.  Around this area, I go by myself or have to carry my sister to all her appointments.  I still see fine to drive, except at night.  Heck, I read a 400+ page book starting in morning of one day this week and finished at 3:30 a.m.  It was one Karen had recommended and was a good one.  I've read a seven series group of books; each one was between 300-400 pages and the other book since starting of January.  Would rather read than watch TV.  Reminds me of my grandmother (not knowing she had cataracts), lived way in the country and the Bookmobile came by her country store.  Her vision was bothering her, and she said if she could not read, she'd just as soon be dead.  The "city aunt" knew it was cataracts and many years ago they got that taken care of, so she did read up until her death.  I always thought it strange, my grandmother, my mom, and me too would start a book and if it was good and had to put it down, we'd read the last chapter (suspense).  If the book was good, and they usually are, we'd pick back up where we left off and finish the book.  My family do not like to know the ending ahead of time, so we don't do "spoilers" for them.  Most do not read though.  (Can, but not interested in books.)  I'm glad I was born before TV's.   

• Like 2

One reason I love Louisiana:  We had our frigid few days.  It has been cold enough that the ice is not gone in some shadowed places.  This week we will have rain, temps up to 66 degrees.  I might take a shower.  

• Like 2

Our internet and phone was out this morning, came back just in time for me to leave for my car appt.

Just checking in with all of you, hope you're all okay. News says our county will get a powerful windstorm next week, could be out of power for days, God I hope not.  Would lose a lot of food and no water.  🙏

I'm doing weather like I do politics, trying to ignore.  Enough rain to cause flooding in all "streams, creeks, bayous, and rivers".  If it freezes, we can ice skate to New Orleans. 

• Like 1

Weather extremes cause pandemonium in the south.  Sharp drops in temperature and then flood rains, very warm temps (today up to 66) can cause tornadoes.  One year in the 1970's, down the street from where we lived in the neighborhood of the city, a tornado blew a cinderblock into two little girls' bedroom and took out both of them.  I hate fickle weather, wish it would just stay cool.  Not freezing. 

• Like 1