Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My Sanity Needed Vents

Marg, came across a family oriented Country/Rancher type program....It has been running for 16 seasons....I find it pretty relaxing and down to earth...It is called Heartland, not bad ...A throw back to Wholesome TV days...with humour thrown in..

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Margm said:

Why would you "catch it" from so many people?

Because I shoveled snow for 12 hours and at the end was angry to discover someone had plowed snow into behind my car (it abutted snow in the front so I couldn't leave with my car after they did that) and at the top of my driveway where I had shoveled so the mailman could drive up to the mailbox and back out onto the roadThey shoveled someone else's snow (pack) there and it was like trying to move ice, high, and hard.  Let me tell you, if they were doing this all by themselves at my age, they'd have been mad too.  It was obvious I had shoveled these areas and they messed it up badly.  Another hour shoveling I didn't need.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, kevin said:

Marg, came across a family oriented Country/Rancher type program....It has been running for 16 seasons....I find it pretty relaxing and down to earth...It is called Heartland, not bad

Kevin, it was Billy's favorite.  We knew it was made probably all in beautiful Canada with Canadian actors.  We found it years ago.  We watched it until Billy was gone, and since he had loved it so much, I felt lost watching it w/o him.  You are right though.  It is one of the most wholesome TV shows around, and I think it is still around so many years later.  If anyone can find it (we have it on the USA TV's), so if you want something interesting, follow this family for years.  My favorite was the "grandpa."  

• Like 2

Hi Karen, I see you online!  How are you doing?

• Like 1

You too, James!

It seems like when we lost Gwen, the voices seemed to fade.  Getting old really is not for sissies, according to Bette Davis, and me too.  Gwen was a stark out bitching female we were all pulling for.  I hate it if someone took her voice away from all of us.  But, I'm also hoping she is not hurting like she was.  We all worry about the creature she was turning her life over to and hope she does not control our Gwen.  And with this site, we just never know.  We are here.  We are heard, but we are still anonymous.  And then we are gone, somewhere, and it seems another friend is lost. That is how it is.  I guess that is how it has to be.  So many, the young lady from Spain, I think.  Another in a war torn country, had lost her husband to war and was trying to keep her son safe.  Gin in Chicago.  Karen in Arizona.  A retired teacher in the mountains of Arizona, think he is/was with another member from "across the pond."  I hope it worked out.  The rest of us, we hang on, all we can do.   

• Like 1

Nothing new here Kay. Just wash, rinse, repeat. Same old denture and vision problems. Need to see if dentures can be adjusted for correct fit. Top ones look like buck teeth. Can't close my lips over them. Just not right. Vision getting worse and scary. Really need to get dentures fixed so I can see a neurologist about eyes.

Losing Gwen did seem to deflate us without warning.

I also think back to when we had a disgruntled member who complained that we were discussing daily lives instead of grief. Perhaps she couldn't understand that this is our way of coping with loneliness and grief. Things also seemed to quiet down after that.

It's all just life.

• Like 2

Made the long trek to town to get groceries, took about four hours, an hour of it just getting the groceries.  Poured rain, instead of cats and dogs, I'd call it tigers and bears!

Not a lot happening here but uneventful sounds good.  Snowing here tonight/tomorrow.  Can do without that.

Karen, I can't believe they may your teeth buck!  Should do over again, the bite can't be right.  My first bridge was that way, made them redo it a year later.

• Like 1

My first uppers were that way.  My dentist hit the roof.  He was a mild-mannered small-town dentist, and he called the place that fitted me and made them fix it.  

• Like 1

It's funny but I don't recall the dentist having much to do with the dentures, only the extractions. The dental techs did all the measuring, fitting, etc.  Although they were nice and seemed knowledgeable, they are all hard to converse with. The dentist is from Puerto Rico and most of his staff appear to be also. He does have an excellent reputation. His service is definitely not personalized like my old dentist though. I really miss him.

• Like 2

My dentist took x-rays and then sent me to an oral surgeon.  My teeth each had a tumor that ate up the roots of the teeth and it was my first visitation by "tumors" and pathology.  That was in about 1961 or 1962, so we were way behind the way things go now.  They were all benign and I can only figure they must have been like the teratomas that Kelli has.  I've forgotten so much now.  I was a medical transcriptionist for 43 years, and even then, we were not calling them teratomas.  But we sure learned how to spell all those things, (no spell check) so we looked them up in Dorland's Medical Dictionary.  I don't think there was a one of us that didn't suffer from symptoms of some sort, and we all knew how to do our Kegel exercises when one of us typed it and yelled it out.  

• Like 1

My dentist ordered out the bridge, and they made it badly, the dental office installed it and a year later I was complaining about it (front teeth) and they haggled with the place that made it and had them make another one.  so glad!  It cost a pretty penny (thousands) and no insurance.

• Like 1

Weird things do happen.  Back in the 90's, I did have dental insurance.  It paid the first thousand, I paid the second thousand.  The place had a good reference and after waiting two weeks they showed my gray new teeth. No joking, no exaggeration, these were the color GRAY.  Took two more weeks, maybe longer to get natural-colored teeth.  It was a total joke.  I wasn't laughing.  

• Sad 1

Sometimes temporary crowns show weird colors, but wth!  I would NOT be happy!  They shouldn't even have grey on their color palate!

• Like 1

Certainly not.  They looked dead.  I never put them in my mouth.  What idiot thought (in a proper professional place) that this was even passible, especially after the huge cost.  I've had two oral surgeons turn away from me because I would not have screw ins.  I have to have injections of antibiotics. I cannot take the pills/capsules because of the "gut" rupture. (Honestly, who needs more pain at 81?)  My diet mostly consists of carbs.  Have every four month exams, blood work.  Everything was fine, I'd lost eight pounds, below diabetic levels still.  I've learned to fix grits (bread), only corn I can have.  Can have most underground veggies, and can have spinach and green beans.  (No onions!!!).  Have not had a salad in 10 years.  Not by choice.  Every time I eat something wrong, my system/me pays for it.  I always put a cross in my bathroom in remembrance of the pain.  I have 13 of them now.  Each life is different in uncanny ways.  

• Like 1

Marg, we seem to eat opposite except I can have spinach.  Can you have eggs? Tomatoes?  Why would they insist on screws at your age?  They're nuts!  Plus it costs more.  (Hence why they insist).

• Like 1

I had two oral surgeons walk out on me in my 70's.  Not my 80's. One of those surgeons told me to just "try eating w/o your teeth." 

A woman covering Medicare follow-up came into the office after my quarterly visit and questioned me about a lot of things.  Goes along with age, I'm sure.  I do have a problem, sometimes, with the right word coming to mind (and will think of it later), but she was a few years younger than me, and she said she had that problem too. 

I can have eggs (hate them), so I eat omelet with Egg Beaters. (And I just went to the refrigerator to look at the name on the box.)  Happens sometimes.  Sometimes I can google a name, synonyms, etc.  But I guess I'm running about the same as most 81-year-olds.  I took my sister for chemo at 10:30, picked her up about 30 minutes later, took her to early vote (they wouldn't let her), and then traveled about 22 miles to my granddog's house to carry her heart medicine (she is 14), and an antibiotic I picked up yesterday.  So far, other than the cataract trips, I've been able to do for myself.  

I think about you when I'm getting bread, them now having keto bread.  My main problem is fiber.  I was amazed I could have grits, it is corn.  I can have no corn.  Fiber should be part of my life, but unfortunately it is my pain in the belly.  I've done it 10 years now, but I can still remember the taste of celery, coconut, pecans, lettuce, tomatoes (if I peel the tomato and take out seeds, I can have it).  I drink decaf (tremors) coffee about once a week with Southern Pecan creamer and can have onion powder.  We all manage what we have to manage.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Margm said:

I do have a problem, sometimes, with the right word coming to mind (and will think of it later)

I had this yesterday, how can you look up a word when you can't think of it!

Keto "bread" is a misnomer, can't have it, we don't advise products.  We make everything from scratch.  I tried making Keto bread but it spiked me, the Keto guy "The Banting King" threw us totally off!  I spent $42 on ingredients I can't use.  I made a loaf for the neighbors for Christmas, their dog attacked me viciously!  Threw me on the ground, I have horrid scars from it, they still itch.  

I make what is called Keto 90 second bread, love it!  And it doesn't raise my blood sugar (BS).

Weird how you and I eat nearly opposite to stay alive.  You get old and find out what is going to be your lot in life, what you have to do to stay alive, different for everyone, and some have no restrictions.  Lucky them.  Some get to keep their husbands, I lost mine at barely 51. Most take theirs for granted, not realizing how their life can change in a moment.

• Like 1

Inlaws and Grandkids in town(from up North 500 miles) for medical stuff I think, volunteered for Sunday(St Pats") BBQ, weather looks good....X son in law and new son in law will be present, plus X Wife....Very mixed and blended bunch...And We all have history....

• Like 2

I hope you have a great time, even with XW there.  I'm supposed to go to my son's 40th bdy 3/24, hoping/praying no snow so I can make it!  His dad may be there, I don't know, his uncle usually comes to these things.

• Like 1

He is still a very handsome fellow.  I remember his baby picture that fitted his name.  Thank you.  Keep family close as you can.  Sometimes they pull away on their own.  Have not heard from my grandson in about a year, and he was in jail (for the winter).  Somehow, long time druggies, if they are allowed to live long term, they find ways to take care of themselves. Not our choice.  It is theirs.  Breaks our hearts though.  His dad thinks and worries every day, as I'm sure his mom does too.  He is well into his 30's now though.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1