Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Back To The Hospital Again

Last night I got a call from my friend...her husband was back in the hospital again. This is the person that almost died a few months ago, for those of you who remember. This time it was a different hospital than the one my husband died in, so I wasn't prepared for what ensued as far as my feelings go. We were there until late and I came home exhausted, had an extremely hard time waking up and driving to work this morning, the emotional toll seems to have sapped me. It's been almost three years, do other people still go through this? All of the memories of that horrible day just flooded back as if it were yesterday. I wonder if I'll ever again be able to comfortably go to a hospital without all of the attachments. I mean, I am wiped out!

KayC

Kayc,

I definitely know those feelings. Jimmy is gone 11 yrs. and I still have problems with doctor offices and hospitals. Since Jimmy had cancer we spent a lot of time in doctors offices and hospitals so now when I am waiting too long I start to have panic attacks. I just try and pray and take deep breaths while waiting and then I usually end up with a migraine.

Hugs & prayers, :wub:

Corinne

I spent most of Monday night / Tuesday morning in the hospital with my son who had cut his finger open with a knife. In doing this he cut the tendon and had to have surgery on Wednesday. However, I didn't have to emotional downfall of remembering Karen in the hospital other than her not being there with us. I believe for me I was so focused on my son that I didn't have time to reflect back on it. This was a different hospital as I live in Texas and the hospital Karen was in is in Florida so I have the advantage of not having to go back there or drive by it etc. I am sure some day the emotions will subside Kayc, it is one of those things that we don't go to the hospital everyday so when you do it brings back the emotions. Hopefully you won't be in the hospital enough for you to get used to it.

Love always

Derek

Kayc,

I have had to return to hospitals a number of times since Jack died - and each time I revisited the pain that surrounded the time he and I spent in hospitals during the last year of his life. Only once have I had to go the the exact hospital where his surgeries occurred - and it was very difficult. Nearly three years later and it is all still very difficult.

I understand how this has drained you.

John - Dusky is my handle on here.

Love you Jack

I think part of it is that Jim has heart trouble too, and he was also in the hospital the same weekend as George was when he died. Jim has been seriously ill for so long and each time we go there we're afraid he won't be coming home. I want to be there for my friend, yet it is very draining to go through this each time, and of course I know what it feels like and it's hard watching her go through it too.

Kay,

You friend is very lucky to have you....a wonderful lady with such a kind heart. I hope her husband will be okay. I have never gone back to the hospital where Jack died. I hope I never will, but I sure can understand how that would be. Try and have a peaceful week-end and just take care of Kay, huh?

Your friend, Karen :wub:;)

Derek,

Is Carson OK now? That had to be horrible, you both must have been terrified. Do they believe it will heal completely with no permanent damage? I will keep you both in my prayers.

Hugs & prayers, :wub:

Corinne

It is so good to know that I am not the only one with "Hospital Issues". I live close to the hospital that my dear Lou died of a massive heart attack at just 33 days ago. I find myself driving by it at least once a week and it is horrible! I can see the emergency room entrance where I parked the car to get him inside. I can see the lines of wheel chairs sitting outside that door and remember how he was sitting in one of those with me right behind him when the massive heart attack hit. I have not had to go into this place lately and will certainly try to avoid it in the future but driving by it is so painful!

I feel for you and am now wondering how my future visits to any hospital for any reason are going to go.

Rosemary

I work in the hospital and everyday it is still painful. I am haunted by the thoughts of him lying on the hospital bed without me. I feel bad that I was not there with him.

It takes a lot of focus and courage, but I tried to give the best care that I can give to every patient I have in honor of his memory.

• 1 month later...

Here we go again...yesterday I got a call from my friend...her husband had to be taken by ambulance to the hospital again, again needing surgery, very sick, and not predicted to live (they gave him a 10% chance). I was with her until 9:00 last night, went home and slept, then this morning he had the surgery...he made it! The next 48 hours are very crucial, please pray for Jim, I don't want Virgie to be our newest member. Thanks, I appreciate it.

KayC

Kay, My prayers are with all three of you. Jim and Virgie are lucky to have such a special and caring friend as you are. Please take very good care of yourself as well, you know how distracting stress can be. Maybe try to plan things such that you insure you AND Virgie get regular meals. I´ll be in Church every day until Sunday as I am approaching Easter (like Teny) and I´ll be taking all of you with me. :wub:

Kay,

I am so sorry your friend is going through all this but she is very lucky to have you there to be her strength. I will definitely keep you all in my prayers. Please keep us updated and make sure you take good care of yourself.

Love,

Marlene

Well, Jim made it through the surgery, but hasn't come to, he's in a coma and they don't know if he's sustained brain damage but they're concerned about that because of lack of oxygen. Virgie seems in denial or shock and is oddly chipper and just says everything is going to be alright. Please keep Jim in your prayers, they are very dear friends of mine.

I appreciate you all.

KayC

Hi Kay,

I will also keep you and your friends in my prayers. Having someone you love sick is so difficult, I know your friend is blessed to have you there with her as she goes through this. However please remember to take care of yourself in this process...

Much Love

Jackie

Just received the news that Jim is out of the coma and alert, although he still has to be on the respirator, we are very hopeful at this point. Thank you all for your prayers, please continue.